Greetings!

Catlord17

7 hours ago, GoinPostal said:

Hey WARPed,  I am getting close to pulling the trigger on an upgrade.  I am looking at the V8 (have been a long time), but now the KS-16-S is also in contention.

Why did you choose the V8 over the KS?  I am seriously toggling between the two..  I like the KS speed and range, but the V8 has a handle, the "stop" switch in the handle, and

known quality.  Its a really tough game I have running in my head..   ;-)

The king song has a handle, bluetooth and 4 speakers so you can play your music when riding.  In terms of quality, I think it is much better than Ninebot.  I was looking at the V8, Chose the KS16 instead.  Everything seems more solid.  

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 6:30 PM, WARPed1701D said:

and.....BANG! 

Trigger pulled. Order just completed through eWheels. :thumbup:

I thought quite a bit about the V8 vs KS 16S curveball I threw you all (and me of course) on at the last minute and I've gone in my original direction of the V8.

There is no doubt in my mind that I will be very happy with the V8. It is considerably cheaper than the KS 16S and I feel a little more comfortable with QC of the Inmotion brand vs KingSong. Yes the range and max speed is lower but I feel that the V8 will be plenty fast enough for me. I do see that on a rare occasion I will want to go further than the V8 would allow but after looking at some charge rate figures from other users on here I decided to add a fast charger to the mix. On the odd occasion I want to run errands above and beyond the limit of the V8 I'll grab a coffee and plug it in for 30 minutes somewhere. These situations will be rare right now. I will most certainly appreciate the lower weight and the kill switch under the handle that he V8 offers...oh and not waiting 5 weeks!

So a HUGE thank you to everyone that humored me and contributed to this post. Thanks to your patience I can now officially join the ranks.

8 hours ago, GoinPostal said:

Hey WARPed,  I am getting close to pulling the trigger on an upgrade.  I am looking at the V8 (have been a long time), but now the KS-16-S is also in contention.

Why did you choose the V8 over the KS?  I am seriously toggling between the two..  I like the KS speed and range, but the V8 has a handle, the "stop" switch in the handle, and

known quality.  Its a really tough game I have running in my head..   ;-)

Hey. See my quoted post above which explains my reasoning. Much the same requirements as you really. The KS 16S was tempting but I'm glad there were none available for 5 weeks which nudged me back to the V8. There are some posts here now about a few people with motor issues in the 16S. I've also picked up on some posts about firmware going out before apps could work fully with them (not 16S but other models). Now I'm seeing posts about bad voltage readings on the mainboards across multiple models and several people are affected. This can result in inaccurate overcharge or low battery reading which can cause unnecessary tiltback and I wonder if it could cause a cutout. I think there are more KS owners than Inmotion ones so it isn't unexpected to hear of more problems just because there are more out there. In the end though I think the V8 is a solid wheel that is built well and has very conservative limits set that can only mean a safer wheel. The specs of the V8 meet my needs 95% of the time. The range is the biggest bummer. I picked up a fast charger to help alleviate that in the situations I see it being a problem.

Oh and if you really think you want a V8 don't deliberate too long if ordering from @Jason McNeil at eWheels. This shipment is his last where the V8 will be branded "Inmotion". Future ones will be branded "Solowheel" and there are hints the price will be hiked (for no real reason). Do a search to find what little info we have on this.

31 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

a few people with motor issues in the 16S. ...........

Now I'm seeing posts about bad voltage readings on the mainboards across multiple models and several people are affected.

This is how rumours get going around :-)

I have seen at maximum 1 or 2 of each with those probs ...not several.

Would be the same as : 50% of Inmotion users have Problems with their tire scrapping at the shell

(...just my 2 Cents ;-) )

The only downside to the King Song is the lack of magnetic pedals.  But that is an easy DIY fix, thought it will cost you new grip tape and a few magnets.  

12 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

This is how rumours get going around :-)

I have seen at maximum 1 or 2 of each with those probs ...not several.

Would be the same as : 50% of Inmotion users have Problems with their tire scrapping at the shell

(...just my 2 Cents ;-) )

With respect, "several" implies more than one...and there are most certainly more than one wheel affected by bad voltage readings on the mainboard. Also note I specifically say there are many more KS wheels out there than Inmotion and so you expect to hear more "bad press". I do try to keep things in perspective.

I'm not trying to dump on KS wheels. I very much considered the 16S. I love the fact that they try to provide performance and range but also put greater emphasis on safety than their main competitor, GotWay, who make some incredibly high performance wheels but at a price or reliability and safety. That's the cost of running at the 'bleeding edge', and it isn't for me.

The V8 indeed had a disappointing flaw of the 2.15 tire rubbing the shell. I believe that this was largely a failure on the part of Kenda though for producing wheels out of tolerances however you are right they Inmotion should have allowed a little more room between tire and shell. This latest batch has the 1.95 tire originally seen on the prototype and the issue should be resolved. If only all design issues were so easily fixed. A scraping tire will not however result in an unexpected tiltback through inaccurate voltage readings or an unridable wheel that skips and judders due to motor/hall sensor issues. For me, as a new rider who has an emphasis on safety over speed or range, I want a first wheel that I can feel confident in. It is not unfair for anyone who has read posts about these problems to go with a seemingly more reliable brand and to state the reported failures as a reason for their decision.

The tiltback on the king song is very gradual, unlike the severe tiltback on the Ninebot which you can fall off of...

There is also a misunderstanding of the word "several", for some it means many...  but it is just more than one, or more than 2 but less than many. :D

1 hour ago, eddiemoy said:

The tiltback on the king song is very gradual, unlike the severe tiltback on the Ninebot which you can fall off of...

There is also a misunderstanding of the word "several", for some it means many...  but it is just more than one, or more than 2 but less than many. :D

How about a couple of them? :D

TIltback may be gradual and that is a cool feature, but I don't want it at almost every instance of regerative braking for the first "couple" of miles of my ride just because the board is overreading true voltage. That was one experience here...and the replacement board underread!

Again, I think KS makes some great wheels and 99% of people are going to get their 16S and it will be great. It either won't have an issue at all or they won't realize (the case of someone who had an overreading board but only ever charged to 80% with a charge doctor so never got tiltback). Established riders here have put plenty of miles on their King Songs and are very happy with them and they know a whole lot more about wheels in general than I do.

But I saw these reports and it was part of the reason I went with the Inmotion V8. I feel (only my own opinion) that I was a more trustworthy wheel for my first ride.

10 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

How about a couple of them? :D

TIltback may be gradual and that is a cool feature, but I don't want it at almost every instance of regerative braking for the first "couple" of miles of my ride just because the board is overreading true voltage. That was one experience here...and the replacement board underread!

Again, I think KS makes some great wheels and 99% of people are going to get their 16S and it will be great. It either won't have an issue at all or they won't realize (the case of someone who had an overreading board but only ever charged to 80% with a charge doctor so never got tiltback). Established riders here have put plenty of miles on their King Songs and are very happy with them and they know a whole lot more about wheels in general than I do.

But I saw these reports and it was part of the reason I went with the Inmotion V8. I feel (only my own opinion) that I was a more trustworthy wheel for my first ride.

if you want trustworthy, wouldn't a ninebot be more trustworthy than inmotion?  plus it is half the price, great one to learn on.

27 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

if you want trustworthy, wouldn't a ninebot be more trustworthy than inmotion?  plus it is half the price, great one to learn on.

I ended up with the impression that the Inmotion wheels were on par with the Ninebots/Segway in terms of reliability and build quality but the V5F and V8 offered additional benefits that made them worth the extra cost. I did however consider the One S1 as it was up on Amazon for $480 delivered at the time. Enquiring about the One S1 or The V5F+ was actually my first forum thread. I eventually went with the V8 over the V5F+ because there was so little difference in cost for a lot more wheel.

In hopes to bring this back to the original post's intent @Catlord17 here are a few additional things to consider that you may find useful when learning:

1) Pump up the tire to a reasonable pressure, but not too much at first.  Depends on your weight, of course, but a softer tire may be easier to ride at first.  Make sure that the tire is not too squishy, but I'd encourage you at first to be closer to the minimum PSI than the maximum.  As you get better, increase the pressure and you'll get better mileage...

2) If you're calves hurt, try stuffing socks in your socks to add padding or a cheap pair of soccer shin guards could help too

3) If your feet hurt, try a thicker soled shoe like tennis, basketball, or skateboarding shoes.  The soles of running shoes tend to be a little too flexible and seem to hurt (my) feet a little more

4) Try to get your body upright and relaxed, once you get on the wheel.  Most new riders fall quickly because they are already hunched over and everything is tense in their legs and they are trying to over-correct for every feeling of imbalance.  At some point you will correct the balance with the wheel not your body, so for example, if you feel your body falling forward you will increase the speed of the wheel putting your center of gravity back over the wheel, rather than trying to lean back to fix it.

Anyway, my goal here was to try and get the thread back on track for @Catlord17 rather than comparing the V8 and KS-16S (which for the record is still a great topic :thumbup:)...

25 minutes ago, Maximus said:

Anyway, my goal here was to try and get the thread back on track for @Catlord17 rather than comparing the V8 and KS-16S (which for the record is still a great topic :thumbup:)...

Agreed this has gone OT and I apologize for my part in it. Thanks for steering it back on course.

Not a big deal going off topic, guys.  Conversations do that. :)

I have been burying myself in work to make the waiting time go faster.  Keep imagining myself floating along the streets and sidewalks where I live.  Soon...

My charger just arrived!  Woohoo!  Gonna start practicing riding that since the wheel's not here yet.  Hiven how rectangular it is, this should be relatively easy to stand on, but I don't think I'll get far with going anywhere for a while.  :lol: 

This is the most seriously beastly charger I have ever seen...

Archived