G-Form Protective Body Armor. Opinions from those in the know please.

What are you all doing in terms of full face helmets? 

I've been trying to find one that is good for both mid-speed impact and multiple hits, and the only thing I've found so far has been the POC Coron, which unfortunately will not go on my giant head, even in XXL.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, Shemp said:

I've been trying to find one that is good for both mid-speed impact and multiple hits, and the only thing I've found so far has been the POC Coron, which unfortunately will not go on my giant head, even in XXL.

I've mainly been looking at the Giro Switchblade Mips and Bell Super 3R Mips. It's nice to be able to remove the chin-guard, when doing lazy slow cruising in the city.

36 minutes ago, Shemp said:

I noticed you mentioned the POC Coron in an earlier post and checked it out but it is just too expensive for me and I'd much rather they didn't brand the entire side of the helmet in contrasting font. Kind of goes against the discrete look I'm going for. It also seems devoid vents which I get considering they are really for snowboarding. Doesn't help my in Florida though. I like the idea of a full face helmet that takes multiple smaller impacts but haven't seen anything else.

I've gone with the Giro Switchblade MIPS helmet. It has a removable chin guard which is also important to me as it will make the helmet multi use for my bike and my EUC. Currently have a Giro Synth for my bike and have been happy with it hence my decision with Giro this time too.

7 minutes ago, Scatcat said:

I've mainly been looking at the Giro Switchblade Mips and Bell Super 3R Mips. It's nice to be able to remove the chin-guard, when doing lazy slow cruising in the city.

I opted against the Bell as the chin guard appears excessively long when compared to the Giro. I didn't want the helmet poking too far out in front of my face considering it will be worn with regular clothes. Looks a little out of place I think.

The all black finish with discrete branding was also a big plus for the Giro. Some of the Bell color range isn't too bad (black and lime green is nice if they didn't put Bell all over it in the same green) but most have more color than I prefer.

That said different manufacturers build helmets for different shape heads. I know Giro works for me as I have a Synth at the moment and it fits great. That isn't the case for all people. For some a Bell helmet fits better. My wife couldn't stand the Giro feel on her head. She went with Bontrager. For helmets you need to go to the store and try some one. If you do then be sure to buy at the store too. They did you a great service by having items to try. They deserve to get the sale so they are there for the next guy/girl.

23 hours ago, Scatcat said:

I looked at those too. As far as I could tell, they are both made of EPS, so they're optimized to take a single mid-high speed hit (and then you buy another one).

Just now, Shemp said:

I looked at those too. As far as I could tell, they are both made of EPS, so they're optimized to take a single mid-high speed hit (and then you buy another one).

Oh yes, they're not good for repeated hits. But then again, helmets overall should be trashed when you've had a bad hit. That goes for full MC-helmets too.

1 minute ago, Scatcat said:

Oh yes, they're not good for repeated hits. But then again, helmets overall should be trashed when you've had a bad hit. That goes for full MC-helmets too.

Not all helmets. Skateboard and DH ski helmets are designed to take multiple smaller / low speed hits. There are several multi-sport certified helmets that are good for multiple small hits and big, high speed ones.  At the extreme end of this, is the POC Receptor+ which is certified for skateboarding, bicycling, ski/snowboard, and watersports. The lining is EPP (in contrast to EPS), which is one of the reasons for this. I've been looking for a multisport (at least skate and bike) full face helmet, but can't find one.

23 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

I noticed you mentioned the POC Coron in an earlier post and checked it out but it is just too expensive for me and I'd much rather they didn't brand the entire side of the helmet in contrasting font. Kind of goes against the discrete look I'm going for. It also seems devoid vents which I get considering they are really for snowboarding. Doesn't help my in Florida though. I like the idea of a full face helmet that takes multiple smaller impacts but haven't seen anything else.

I've gone with the Giro Switchblade MIPS helmet. It has a removable chin guard which is also important to me as it will make the helmet multi use for my bike and my EUC. Currently have a Giro Synth for my bike and have been happy with it hence my decision with Giro this time too.

I recall reading a review of the Giro Switchblade as being very hot in the summer with poor airflow, unlike the Bell super 2R and 3R helmets. Can't find the link, though. Also, the Switchblade made spot #9 on the list of The 15 Worst Mountain Bike Products Ever at the beginning of 2014, although the reasoning could apply to other convertible helmets like the Bell supers.

Edit: the comment about the Switchblade came from an Amazon reviewer named Avery.

20 hours ago, litewave said:

I recall reading a review of the Giro Switchblade as being very hot in the summer with poor airflow, unlike the Bell super 2R and 3R helmets. Can't find the link, though. Also, the Switchblade made spot #9 on the list of The 15 Worst Mountain Bike Products Ever at the beginning of 2014, although the reasoning could apply to other convertible helmets like the Bell supers.

Edit: the comment about the Switchblade came from an Amazon reviewer named Avery.

Thanks for that info. The 15 worst list does appear to be an old Switchblade model. It looks nothing like the current one and I don't know about the old model but the new one is downhill rated (the 3R isn't) so I doubt there will be many smashed faces in it.

Heat is a concern though (Florida) and I just found a reasonable video review of the current Switchblade vs the 3R and the guy states the Giro is much hotter. He also removed the chin bar on both and the resulting open face helmet is starkly different between the two. The 3R looks more like a regular bike helmet just with more rear protection while the Switchblade more closely resembles and open faced motorcycle helmet. Internally the 3R also just looks like a bike helmet while the Switchblade has substantial padding and this is the likely cause of all the heat.

I've ended up ordering a 3R as well. I'll compare the two and see how I feel but I think the Switchblade will still win. I'll try to post my findings and some images.

• 1 month later...

Just did my first test ride with the g-form armour. Elbow protectors, shirt, shorts. No knee protectors as (contrary to all the other stuff I ordered) the M are too small for my upper legs, so I need to exchange those. It was not warm outside so can't tell you about temperature, but when you are riding you don't notice you are wearing them, and under your clothes it's super discreet. Nothing to be seen (except maybe a bit of the collarbone padding if you wear a wide shirt). Of course there is a certain "tightness" you notice, as with any other protective equipment, but they don't bother at all. It's just like wearing a tight shirt (which, in a way, it is). The pants, I don't even realise I am wearing them.

Can't tell anything about how they hold up in a crash, but for comfort and not looking like Robocop these are the way to go.

Not the kind of stuff I would wear for a quick trip to the shop, but for off-roading / trail riding I will from now on.

On 2017-07-14 at 11:13 PM, WARPed1701D said:

Thanks for that info. The 15 worst list does appear to be an old Switchblade model. It looks nothing like the current one and I don't know about the old model but the new one is downhill rated (the 3R isn't) so I doubt there will be many smashed faces in it.

Heat is a concern though (Florida) and I just found a reasonable video review of the current Switchblade vs the 3R and the guy states the Giro is much hotter. He also removed the chin bar on both and the resulting open face helmet is starkly different between the two. The 3R looks more like a regular bike helmet just with more rear protection while the Switchblade more closely resembles and open faced motorcycle helmet. Internally the 3R also just looks like a bike helmet while the Switchblade has substantial padding and this is the likely cause of all the heat.

I've ended up ordering a 3R as well. I'll compare the two and see how I feel but I think the Switchblade will still win. I'll try to post my findings and some images.

Well, my 3R order froze, wrong inventory and it was sold out, so I ended up changing the order to the Switchblade.

For me, living in Sweden, I doubt heat will be a main issue, and it seems to very sturdy.

On 09/10/2017 at 6:43 PM, Scatcat said:

Well, my 3R order froze, wrong inventory and it was sold out, so I ended up changing the order to the Switchblade.

For me, living in Sweden, I doubt heat will be a main issue, and it seems to very sturdy.

As long as the shape works for your head then I think you will be really happy with your new choice. Heat has been zero issue for me...even in Florida. I love my Switchblade.

On 09/10/2017 at 6:26 PM, ir_fuel said:

Just did my first test ride with the g-form armour. Elbow protectors, shirt, shorts. No knee protectors as (contrary to all the other stuff I ordered) the M are too small for my upper legs, so I need to exchange those. It was not warm outside so can't tell you about temperature, but when you are riding you don't notice you are wearing them, and under your clothes it's super discreet. Nothing to be seen (except maybe a bit of the collarbone padding if you wear a wide shirt). Of course there is a certain "tightness" you notice, as with any other protective equipment, but they don't bother at all. It's just like wearing a tight shirt (which, in a way, it is). The pants, I don't even realise I am wearing them.

Can't tell anything about how they hold up in a crash, but for comfort and not looking like Robocop these are the way to go.

Not the kind of stuff I would wear for a quick trip to the shop, but for off-roading / trail riding I will from now on.

This was exactly my conclusion. The G-form gear is super comfortable and discrete. I feel it will protect well in an accident although concede that one major crash could result in the need for replacements.It is a base layer so I'm hoping that trousers and shirt will take the brunt of the abrasive forces saving the gear for the next ride.

I still intend to review the set. My parents visited for 3 weeks and then I spent the last 6 days outrunning Irma. Been busy!

On 2017-09-15 at 5:56 AM, WARPed1701D said:

As long as the shape works for your head then I think you will be really happy with your new choice. Heat has been zero issue for me...even in Florida. I love my Switchblade.

It's a bit strange, since it works well, when ON the head. Well enough at least, the padding along the jawbone is a bit heavy. But getting it on and off is an "interesting" thing compared to my commuter helmet... :rolleyes:

I have to take my glasses off, and then be rather careful not getting my ears in the way if I want to keep them. :D 

The strap could well have some quick coupling to not have to stand there fumbling, but I suspect it will become easier with experience.

But I think the hardest part to get used to has nothing to do with the fit, but more that I'm used to the the greater peripheral vision downward with an open helmet. Now I actually have to look DOWN if I want to see the battery LEDs or thread the tyre through narrow passages. It also blocks a bit more sound than the Kali City, or rather it turns the volume down. That can be a good thing, but it requires some time to adapt.

5 hours ago, Scatcat said:

It's a bit strange, since it works well, when ON the head. Well enough at least, the padding along the jawbone is a bit heavy. But getting it on and off is an "interesting" thing compared to my commuter helmet... :rolleyes:

I have to take my glasses off, and then be rather careful not getting my ears in the way if I want to keep them. :D 

The strap could well have some quick coupling to not have to stand there fumbling, but I suspect it will become easier with experience.

But I think the hardest part to get used to has nothing to do with the fit, but more that I'm used to the the greater peripheral vision downward with an open helmet. Now I actually have to look DOWN if I want to see the battery LEDs or thread the tyre through narrow passages. It also blocks a bit more sound than the Kali City, or rather it turns the volume down. That can be a good thing, but it requires some time to adapt.

Do you leave the chin bar attached when putting the helmet on? I always remove the bar as I take the helmet off and put the bar back on after I have put the helmet back on. This allows me to use the strap to open the helmet slightly as it goes over my head (ears). I have to remove my glasses too. Have you tried the thinner pads for the jaw area?

I got used to the double d ring strap quickly. I agree I'd prefer a quicker clasp system there but it has turned out to not be a problem. My bike helmet had a plastic clasp and I used to find the strap would slip over time and loosen. At least with the double d system you get it just right each time.

I've hardly ridden my EUC without a full face helmet so I guess the need to look down was with me from the start but that is interesting feedback for the full face helmet design. Lucky for me I have wheellog and a Pebble now so I don't have to look down. Sadly not am option for you.

Come back with more feedback over time. I'm really interested to hear the opinions of others. Be sure to add them to the helmet review thread of not already so there is one place for people to see everyone's views on the helmet.

Warped, I swear you are my brother from another mother.  We'd surely look like bros on our V8s in similar gear.  It's genuinely comical to me.  We have very similar thought processes and considerations as newcomers to EUCs.  I'm grateful for the leg work you've done.    Pretty sure I'm going to get the g-form elbow pads.  Still debating full-faced helmets but leaning switchblade. 

2 hours ago, mezzanine said:

Warped, I swear you are my brother from another mother.  We'd surely look like bros on our V8s in similar gear.  It's genuinely comical to me.  We have very similar thought processes and considerations as newcomers to EUCs.  I'm grateful for the leg work you've done.    Pretty sure I'm going to get the g-form elbow pads.  Still debating full-faced helmets but leaning switchblade. 

Glad to help a Bro! I'm pleased you've found the info useful. If you have ANY questions about the helmet or any of the GForm gear let me know. I promise to review the GForm stuff like I did the helmet. Just got to find the time.

I have the full G Form loadout. Elbows, knees, shirt, board and ski shorts. As part of my ordering I ended up with multiple sizes of most of these items as I want sure how sizing would go. This meant I ended up with XS Pro X Elbow Pads and S Elite Elbow Pads (no XS size in the Elite range). This allowed me to compare the two versions. The Pro X range was a little more comfortable but we're considerably thinner and did not offer the same level of coverage around the sides of the joint. This is backed up by the fact that the Elite range is certified for Motorcycle use to a European standard. The Pro X range is rated for indoor sport use by a standard. Big difference in protection levels. For me choosing the Elite options for knee and elbow were a no brainer. I mention all this as you talk of the knee/shin combo. This is not available in the Elite range so I think you are looking at the Pro X pads. I would forgo the shin protection and go with the Elites. They cover a lot of the upper shin anyway.

If ordering direct from G Form be sure to sign up for their newsletter before you order. I got a 10% of coupon right away.

Personally I've mostly considered the G-form or equivalent fot next year when the temperatures go up and my jacket will be too warm.

But I'm mostly interested in the top half, but would really like a variant with some form of back protection.

For the knees I will probably stay with hard pads (have mil-style quick attach pads). If for no other reason because it will save my jeans from stoopid run-off-but-not-quite incidents, like the two I've had recently.

6 hours ago, Scatcat said:

Personally I've mostly considered the G-form or equivalent fot next year when the temperatures go up and my jacket will be too warm.

But I'm mostly interested in the top half, but would really like a variant with some form of back protection.

For the knees I will probably stay with hard pads (have mil-style quick attach pads). If for no other reason because it will save my jeans from stoopid run-off-but-not-quite incidents, like the two I've had recently.

This is my single biggest complaint about the shirt. They offer multiple variants of the shorts with protection in different areas depending on the sport you want to use them for but just 1 type of top with zero back protection. I ended up getting a full-on back protector (POC Spine 2.0)but it is honestly overkill, bulky and very hot. I would not have got this if the G-Form shirt had something over the spine from the waist up to below the shoulder blades and then something over the shoulder blades themselves.

I've yet to tell them this though. I intend to point them towards my review (when I get round to doing it).

21 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

This is my single biggest complaint about the shirt. They offer multiple variants of the shorts with protection in different areas depending on the sport you want to use them for but just 1 type of top with zero back protection. I ended up getting a full-on back protector (POC Spine 2.0)but it is honestly overkill, bulky and very hot. I would not have got this if the G-Form shirt had something over the spine from the waist up to below the shoulder blades and then something over the shoulder blades themselves.

I've yet to tell them this though. I intend to point them towards my review (when I get round to doing it).

As we fall. That is mostly forwards, and seldom somersaulting over a steering-bar, I guess the back-protector is less crucial than on a motorbike. But knowing I have d3o along my spine is a good feeling. After all, it's not the falls I fear when it comes to that part, it's what would happen rolling over the hood of a car...

Damn, I just felt an icicle down my spine - I've encountered a few too many idiot drivers lately, both on bikes and in cars. My favourite kind is the one that slows down as you approach each other, then thinks better of it and steps on the gas... I'm happy I don't carry...

On 7/10/2017 at 1:27 PM, LanghamP said:

I believe the horseback riding community is far in advance of any of those other sports when it comes to asserting an ISO standard of body impact protection. Horseback riding falls are fast, serious, and usually from a great height onto a fairly hard ground.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/protective-vests/c/1202/

They all kinda look the same, like a giant catchers mitt, because they need to slow you down as slowly as possible.

Most other gear I've seen for motorcycles, skateboarders, etc... fall into men's fashion as regardless of what they tell you what to do, they all do the same thing:  They make your shoulders look much wider than your hips.

I've been curious about this.  I only occasionally ride horses (few opportunities) but have to agree ... it's a long way down, and unlike anything I've seen on a motorcycle.   Motorcycles & EUC's are predictable machines, unlike (ahem) horses.   So I'm really curious why polo players don't pad their shoulders more.  @Rehab1 probably knows best about EUC protection, because he gets to see the gory results of injuries (IMHO) ... my own experience?  1 x dislocated shoulder + 1 x distal radius fracture = wrists and shoulders need protection.   It's a (thankfully) limited dataset, but enough to convince me of the importance of "big shoulders"

52 minutes ago, Chris Westland said:

I've been curious about this.  I only occasionally ride horses (few opportunities) but have to agree ... it's a long way down, and unlike anything I've seen on a motorcycle.   Motorcycles & EUC's are predictable machines, unlike (ahem) horses.   So I'm really curious why polo players don't pad their shoulders more.  @Rehab1 probably knows best about EUC protection, because he gets to see the gory results of injuries (IMHO) ... my own experience?  1 x dislocated shoulder + 1 x distal radius fracture = wrists and shoulders need protection.   It's a (thankfully) limited dataset, but enough to convince me of the importance of "big shoulders"

I think this guy has the right idea.

32138d2e8addeede9344cc8b9ea4084a.jpg

1 hour ago, Scatcat said:

As we fall. That is mostly forwards, and seldom somersaulting over a steering-bar, I guess the back-protector is less crucial than on a motorbike. But knowing I have d3o along my spine is a good feeling. After all, it's not the falls I fear when it comes to that part, it's what would happen rolling over the hood of a car...

Damn, I just felt an icicle down my spine - I've encountered a few too many idiot drivers lately, both on bikes and in cars. My favourite kind is the one that slows down as you approach each other, then thinks better of it and steps on the gas... I'm happy I don't carry...

I also consider being hit from behind by an inattentive driver and downhill/hard brake cutoff as potential spine injury events. The former being a real concern in my area.

Archived