I've had problems with the kneebar failing on both my MiniPros. I purchased a used kneebar off of LetGo and it too has now failed. 

I live in NYC and carry my Segway MiniPro up and down stairs using the subway system ... on an average day it is lifted about 10x ... since the failure of my first bar I have been grabbing it from the center of the knee Control bar and it still has failed. Now the white MiniPro is used locally with zero lifting and has not become worst. The black bar is about three weeks of use. Someone suggested I buy the Ninebot Mini kneebar ... can only find them overseas. Segway asked me to contact them if it became worst and on the white MiniPro it has not since I do not life this one. The black one which is about a month old is currently unusable. Anybody else notice cracks or failures?

IMG_2694.JPG

IMG_2695.JPG

IMG_2696.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

YES. I had this exact problem around 3 months. It is a fundamental design flaw of having 4 metal screws securing down plastic so close to the edge.

The problem is compounded by carrying the unit (as you said), but ALSO if you are in a city where there are a lot of bumps in the roads.

I emailed Segway support and sent pictures, they sent a replacement knee bar. I've been very very careful how I carry and use the guide stick. So far so good

I am trashed two of these kneebars and third is going south shortly. But seems that  i  managed to found a source of problem: this four little screws are screw out due to riding vibrations and then this (cracks) happens. I can't find this blue threadlock paste in my neigbourhood so i decided to simply pour superglue into thread holes. When this screws sit tight - kneebar can live long and happy, but if they go loose (mine gone loose under safety sticker and i found this when it was too late)

Again: keep this four screws tightened and you will be fine

Edited by Alex Markin

On 7/20/2017 at 2:44 PM, Alex Markin said:

I am trashed two of these kneebars and third is going south shortly. But seems that  i  managed to found a source of problem: this four little screws are screw out due to riding vibrations and then this (cracks) happens. I can't find this blue threadlock paste in my neigbourhood so i decided to simply pour superglue into thread holes. When this screws sit tight - kneebar can live long and happy, but if they go loose (mine gone loose under safety sticker and i found this when it was too late)

Interesting I removed the safety sticker since I hated it from day one, and mine are secured with red loctite, no problems yet.  Covered it up again with some adhesive skin material.

On 7/20/2017 at 2:44 PM, Alex Markin said:

My screws have been tight since day one on the black one. It's from lifting frequently ... I put on a mini Control bar and had no issues ... the handles on the mini do break as one of the pads interior support broke a little as I feel it when lifting. But still way stronger than the MiniPro. The one that does not get lifted has not become worst. Oh well. Segway was Prompt and has mailed me a new one.

Off topic, i really want the miniplus!

The only good with this design was the built-in 'trolley' stick', and the ability to quickly take arm off, we didn't need the extension at all! Personally, I need the foam padding moved forward....I will fix that sooner or later...

The person that designed the knee bar is an idiot. besides the cracking problem above, it should have a much more secure clasp or hook to secure the knee bar to the base. I've had to re-tighten the knee bar connector multiple times now, because the base had fallen at least 3x during times when I was lifting the entire unit (across stairs, carpet, etc)

1 hour ago, icom said:

The person that designed the knee bar is an idiot. besides the cracking problem above, it should have a much more secure clasp or hook to secure the knee bar to the base. I've had to re-tighten the knee bar connector multiple times now, because the base had fallen at least 3x during times when I was lifting the entire unit (across stairs, carpet, etc)

The MiniPlus redesigns this and eliminates the extension up/down, removes the 'trolley stick' and change the battery design.

I'll have both models, MiniPro & MiniPlus, at some point in time.

Edited by Rocky Romero

2 hours ago, P99Guy said:

Rocky I see you have committed to the Plus.

yesterday it was price permitting...

i will let you be the tester!

thanks!

D

I saw the video of the MiniPlus.

Except that I could not attach my existing bottle holder, I can play/work/toy with this.

The future may be using an indoors Mini and outdoors Mini.

Each having different functions.

4 hours ago, Rocky Romero said:

I saw the video of the MiniPlus.

Except that I could not attach my existing bottle holder, I can play/work/toy with this.

The future may be using an indoors Mini and outdoors Mini.

Each having different functions.

Did you pre order a miniplus? When is it arriving?

2 hours ago, SegwayMiniPro said:

Did you pre order a miniplus? When is it arriving?

I don't know where to order the MiniPlus nor am I in a hurry for it.

I have my 3rd MiniPro coming this week.

My interest would perk up more with the robotics components more defined.

13 hours ago, icom said:

I believe you just need to tighten two screws inside the lock mechanism - they are regulate force of lock - if you thighten them a little (not too much) you will never loose knee bar any more )

IMG_0134.JPG 2017-08-01 15-50-51.jpg

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Alex Markin said:

My wife's mini-pro bar crack today so i quick-fix it with plumber loop () 

But for future issues i quick designed this 3d-printed clamp. So if anyone need it – i can upload to to Thingiverse

IMG_0136.JPG 2017-08-01 15-55-59.png

Yes, I could use three of these clamps.

How can I get them?

26 minutes ago, Rocky Romero said:

Yes, I could use three of these clamps.

How can I get them?

Do you need all three for one Mini-Pro? (i can make taller version for you) or you need it for 3 different Mini-Pros? (btw this clamp will not fit on regular Xiaomi Mini, only Ninebot MiniPro)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Alex Markin said:

Do you need all three for one Mini-Pro? (i can make taller version for you) or you need it for 3 different Mini-Pros? (btw this clamp will not fit on regular Xiaomi Mini, only Ninebot MiniPro)

Yes, 3 different MiniPros.

It seems to support this better than the existing approach.

I prefer to prevent any issues with your solution.

Let me know details?

15 hours ago, Rocky Romero said:

Yes, 3 different MiniPros.

It seems to support this better than the existing approach.

I prefer to prevent any issues with your solution.

Let me know details?

Thingiverse is a database for 3D print files, the guy said he will upload them for free

you have two options.

1. Buy and learn to use a 3DPrinter

2. Pay someone who does 3D printing to print the File for you.

?

i would suggest buying a 3D Printer ... very easy to learn and you can then understand how things work as well. Small steps ?

On 8/1/2017 at 3:51 AM, Alex Markin said:

I believe you just need to tighten two screws inside the lock mechanism - they are regulate force of lock - if you thighten them a little (not too much) you will never loose knee bar any more )

IMG_0134.JPG 2017-08-01 15-50-51.jpg

Yes i know. This is exactly what I have to re-tighten because it gets loose over time.

Unfortunately, I have to carry my minipro through my office lobby everyday because they are a bunch of really uptight people.

On 8/2/2017 at 2:19 PM, icom said:

Yes i know. This is exactly what I have to re-tighten because it gets loose over time.

Unfortunately, I have to carry my minipro through my office lobby everyday because they are a bunch of really uptight people.

Geez like Taylor Swift said, Shake em' off ?

Edited by SegwayMiniPro

On 8/2/2017 at 2:19 PM, icom said:

get some red loctite and adjust them, i doubt you will need to again, Just make sure you get it right.

i printed two of these for my wife's mini pro in taulman 618 neylone (they use it to print human bones) so, despite the fact that knee bar is cracked completely - two  brackets do the job and we can ride our mini pro like new

IMG_0196.JPG 2017-08-06 22-44-32.png

IMG_0198.JPG 2017-08-06 22-44-13.png

Edited by Alex Markin
  • Upvote 2