MCM4 Random tiltback and beeping?

Hello all,

Was riding my MCM4 at the beach this evening. About 5 or 6 miles into my ride the unit would no longer accelerate. Felt like extreme tiltback and basically made the unit uncontrollable.  It was accompanied by beeping(about 2 per second). I shut the unit off and turned it back on and the beeping continued and unit was unusable. I waited a few minutes and turned it off and back on and everything seemed fine. About another couple miles into my ride it happened again. I again gave it a few minutes and all was well and did not have a reoccurence of the issue for the remaining 4 miles back. 

Does anyone know what caused this or what the 2 beeps per second means? Very scary losing most of the control of the unit and having to coast to a stop. Trying to figure out what happened so I can prevent it from happening again.

Thanks to anyone that can help.

2 beeps per second is the over speed alarm.

Tiltback may occur because of
- over speed. The app may set the tiltback speed or disable it.
- over temperature, which may happen uphill
- out of battery.

8 minutes ago, zlymex said:

2 beeps per second is the over speed alarm.

Tiltback may occur because of
- over speed. The app may set the tiltback speed or disable it.
- over temperature, which may happen uphill
- out of battery.

Very strange. I know I had battery because I made it the 6 miles back to my hotel. I connected to the gotway app and made sure there was no tiltback set. The only thing I can figure is the over temp. Both times it occured though I was on flat terrain. The beach area I was at literally has no hills. Outside temp was around 70 and it was night time with no sun. I have experienced tiltback before, maybe I'm just not used to it not giving me control back and making me hop off while doing so. I successfully made 2 semi long trips today with no problems, however, I did make more stops and travelled at lower speeds. Overheating is all I can assume. It's very strange.

Thanks very much for trying to help.

The app from Gotway has temperature reading. Or alternatively, Wheellog may record temperature together with other parameters for later analysis.

There is another reason for tiltback: over voltage, which may happen when ride a freshly charged wheel downhill.

28 minutes ago, Acturbo said:

Very strange. I know I had battery because I made it the 6 miles back to my hotel. I connected to the gotway app and made sure there was no tiltback set. The only thing I can figure is the over temp. Both times it occured though I was on flat terrain. The beach area I was at literally has no hills. Outside temp was around 70 and it was night time with no sun. I have experienced tiltback before, maybe I'm just not used to it not giving me control back and making me hop off while doing so. I successfully made 2 semi long trips today with no problems, however, I did make more stops and travelled at lower speeds. Overheating is all I can assume. It's very strange.

Thanks very much for trying to help.

How is the sand on the beach? Could it get in the chassis and cause extra load to the motor and hence make it overheat?

Looking at the temp values of the app whilst your ride could have eliminated/proofed overtemp condition.

Somewhere the meaning of the beep signals of GWs where listed here in the forum...

18 minutes ago, Chriull said:

How is the sand on the beach? Could it get in the chassis and cause extra load to the motor and hence make it overheat?

Thats what i thought, too! Riding in sand can be a real stress for the wheel if the sand is not flat or to soft. I even have seen mosfet burns on sand....

12 hours ago, Chriull said:

Looking at the temp values of the app whilst your ride could have eliminated/proofed overtemp condition.

Somewhere the meaning of the beep signals of GWs where listed here in the forum...

No sand. I was in the area of the beach but on the sidewalk a block back. I had neither the gotway app nor wheellog when I started my ride. It wasn't until the first occurence that I turned on the gotway app and made sure tiltback was turned off(since I'm new I'm not sure if the wheel stores it from previous settings or if the app must be connected).  I'll make sure to keep wheellog on in the future and see what happens.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Archived