Gotway- How to change Motor Connectors

20 minutes ago, z4tchmo said:

Didn't realize that was a feature on the KingSongs.  The KS16S manual says low battery protection kicks in at 40%, but it doesn't specify how much the limit or limit/battery ratio is.

596903672a176_ScreenShot2017-07-14at12_45_22PM.png.fa13ceca4c3684ceb91a36d47019991b.png

That make sense on the safety side of things to a degree, but I guess it really depends on what the limit is like.  Anyone have more info on this?  Would be curious about specifics.

On the 16S/18S the speed protection starts at 40%...(on 16b on fw1.25 on 30%)

The speed/tiltback then goes down step by step with batterie getting lower to a maximum-i guess- of 25kmh!

For me on my 18A that was never a prob, as i dont drive the batterie under 20-30%.....my own safety regulation and batterie care!

So maybe under 20% the speed goes down to a max of 20kmh....but not more down, that i know for sure....

So at the end of 20-30% batterie i always have had a max speed of about 25-28kmh with the 18A....which is a bit faster than jogging ;-)

Have to test it on the 18S ....didnot drive my batterie under 50% until now...still on first charge...haha

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

I have thought about that before....as you have stated that in another thread! You have to pay board and motor on yourself? No warranty like on meepmeep? Nothing??? Come on, Ian!

I would have guessed that , as a design failure and not the first fault of this type, this is definitely done by the Seller/Gotway, even as Ian had an excellent reputation!

Yeah, Ian offered nothing. Since EWheels now sells every wheel that I'm in the market for I don't anticipating giving Ian any more of my business.

Ian doesn't participate much in social media like this forum, which I always thought was too bad.

1 hour ago, z4tchmo said:

Didn't realize that was a feature on the KingSongs.  The KS16S manual says low battery protection kicks in at 40%, but it doesn't specify how much the limit or limit/battery ratio is.

596903672a176_ScreenShot2017-07-14at12_45_22PM.png.fa13ceca4c3684ceb91a36d47019991b.png

That make sense on the safety side of things to a degree, but I guess it really depends on what the limit is like.  Anyone have more info on this?  Would be curious about specifics.

40% is ridiculous. This is why I think KingSong is a good choice for people who want to be a bit more conservative in there riding. But if you want a sports car type wheel which comes with some inherent dangers, buy a Gotway :D

1 hour ago, KingSong69 said:

Like said..... (unfortunately) there is a life beside my wheels :-)

Really? Who allowed you in this forum? ;)

They are producing a new shell for the 18S...on FB there is a photo of a -very early- prototype! it will be 16b/14d style then, also!

Hey @KingSong69, is there a primary KingSong group that I should join on Facebook? Maybe you could send me a link/invite within Facebook? Thanks :)

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

40% is ridiculous. This is why I think KingSong is a good choice for people who want to be a bit more conservative in there riding. But if you want a sports car type wheel which comes with some inherent dangers, buy a Gotway :D

You can see it that way...or see it as saving health as there main focus just seams to be on never cutting out and prevent stupi driving....

as said...as i dont drive me batterie under 30%....from 40 to 30% i am almost still always over 30kmh...

For me thats enough....driving over 30-33 kmh with my plastic helmet sometime still scares when thinking that now a fall might happen!

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Yeah, Ian offered nothing. Since EWheels now sells every wheel that I'm in the market for I don't anticipating giving Ian any more of my business.

Ian doesn't participate much in social media like this forum, which I always thought was too bad.

thats real bad.....i see that as a typical warranty case....design fault

@Marty Backe Did you tell Ian what happened, or just ordered new parts? Did you even ask whether it is warranty or something like this? (I remember you initially saying you didn't plan to make this a warranty thing) Might have influenced what he knew/assumed about your issue.

Also, maybe he saw the incline in your video (which you say was 35% or so) and thought that it was not inside the specs, so no warranty (mine was 15% - so tamer, just longer which in the end resulted in the same problem):)

Just some ideas. But I guess for you ordering from the US makes more sense regardless of the details, now that Jason has the Gotway parts.

@KingSong69 You link to a modded KS18, not a new shell. Is there really a picture of a new shell prototype somewhere? Would certainly like to see that:w00t2:

4 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

@KingSong69 You link to a modded KS18, not a new shell. Is there really a picture of a new shell prototype somewhere? Would certainly like to see that:w00t2:

read the fu%%*#}  manual :-) .....aaaaeeehh ...i mean...read all the comments, there are 2 photos of the -very early- and not as good enough seen prototype :-)

Oh, comments. Ok. Never use Facebook. Here's a direct link;)

KS18 NEW SHELL PROTOTYPE: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10154866406032877&set=p.10154866406032877&type=3

Diagnosis: Yep, it's a big KS16/14. Almost a bit boring. Guess you'd have to test both 18 to see which feels better or what the ergonomic/riding differences are.

12 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Almost a bit boring. Guess you'd have to test both 18 to see which feels better or what the ergonomic/riding differe

Yip....like mentioned: The boss didnt like it, also, and ordered a new one..

6 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

Just for your interest...just saw this batterie installation video on Ks18s...where you can see the motor cables:

The actually did the 3 (really fat) motor cables through one axle...and the sensor ones through the other axle!

Amazing to see that size of wires! It might be an illusion but the motor wires are at a minimum 12awg but could even be 10awg. The axle must be huge to allow the inner shaft that much room to accommodate the large of wires.

I am a stickler when it comes to metal against wire insulation. I cannot tell what KS used beneath the 3 motor wires to prevent rubbing in the pedal hanger area.

dXBbpi8.jpg

5 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Thanks for posting those videos. Love the use of both ends of the axle :thumbup:  I really wish Gotway would steal some of their manufacturing designs ;)

I agree. Just look how nice and neat the battery compartment is designed!

1 minute ago, Rehab1 said:

I am a stickler when it comes to metal against wire insulation. I cannot tell what KS used beneath the 3 motor wires to prevent rubbing in the pedal hanger area.

hope i can take a look this weekend...but dont nail me on the timeline 

You can see it that way...or see it as saving health as there main focus just seams to be on never cutting out and prevent stupi driving....

as said...as i dont drive me batterie under 30%....from 40 to 30% i am almost still always over 30kmh...

For me thats enough....driving over 30-33 kmh with my plastic helmet sometime still scares when thinking that now a fall might happen!

thats real bad.....i see that as a typical warranty case....design fault

This is why it's different for everyone. When I go for a ride (not just to the store) I'm often riding for a minimum of 40km, often upwards of 60km. That's one reason I like Gotway with their extended range wheels.

@marty

thats the post on the Kingsong group...its an"open" group":

https://www.facebook.com/groups/kingsong/permalink/1356201884455848/

i tried to invite you..but an admin has to approve 

Thanks, I'll check it out tonight when I get home from work :thumbup:

6 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

@Rehab1

Just for your interest...just saw this batterie installation video on Ks18s...where you can see the motor cables:

The actually did the 3 (really fat) motor cables through one axle...and the sensor ones through the other axle!

and

And before someone complains that they just use a 3 phase 60amp motor connector....KS is by far not pushing the amounts of amps through their wheels as GW does....

I hope this weekend i can open my Ks18s and check the AWG of the motorcables...if i have the time ...

Sometimes there are some other things as EUC's in the way...damned :-)

Very clever design of the batteries, to fit over the post on top and with the two legs on the bottom, and then the foam pieces wedged in all around the two side batteries.  It looks like a well designed wheel, high quality.  

59 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

@Marty Backe Did you tell Ian what happened, or just ordered new parts? Did you even ask whether it is warranty or something like this? (I remember you initially saying you didn't plan to make this a warranty thing) Might have influenced what he knew/assumed about your issue.

Also, maybe he saw the incline in your video (which you say was 35% or so) and thought that it was not inside the specs, so no warranty (mine was 15% - so tamer, just longer which in the end resulted in the same problem):)

Just some ideas. But I guess for you ordering from the US makes more sense regardless of the details, now that Jason has the Gotway parts.

Yes, I told Ian what happened along with the link to the video. I won't replay everything here, but suffice it to say that I'll stick to buying wheels within America whenever possible.

8 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

This is why it's different for everyone. When I go for a ride (not just to the store) I'm often riding for a minimum of 40km, often upwards of 60km. That's one reason I like Gotway with their extended range wheels.

with the 1680wh Ks18s i have about 1000wh before reaching 40 % batterie...with 15wh per km thats easy 60km...having the full 40kmh/50kmh :-) That are some Store's for me ;-)

@Marty Backe I think in the future there will be hill climbing competitions on EUC's with modified wiring, mainboards, and batteries, and Gotway will be the one most used for these competitions.  It was very impressive what your stock ACM was able to do for as long as it did.  You were really pushing it.

53 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

Yip....like mentioned: The boss didnt like it, also, and ordered a new one..

Yep you can't just scale up things linearly or they will look bloated and fat.

But good to know it's essentially a new shell for the old (well, just completely redesigned) innards (as the comment says). Anything else would not make too much sense economically. Though some more innovation could not hurt, some nice shiny new bells and whistles...

28 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

with the 1680wh Ks18s i have about 1000wh before reaching 40 % batterie...with 15wh per km thats easy 60km...having the full 40kmh/50kmh :-) That are some Store's for me ;-)

So I gather you are confirming that the speed gets limited at the 40% level. What's the max speed at that point? Or do you want to want until you give us your full report? If the speed is limited to ~32km/h I would probably be fine with that although it would still bother me.

45 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I feel you. Anytime I go for a spontaneous "quick" ride it ends up being 40 or 50 km. Any wheel that can't do that from the 85% battery I usually charge to (unless I have something big planned then I do 100%) would make me seriously nervous.

Look what arrived today! Another ACM+HB board. I had purchased a new main board from a Chinese firm on Ebay a few months ago. Delivery time: 6 weeks. When I found out Jason at Ewheels had new boards in stock I ordered one immediately! I figured having a spare board might be prudent.hfnfk4K.jpgShortly after receiving the new board from Jason GW began issuing new boards and firmware updates thanks to @Marty Backe's video evidence!  I then received the other board from China. Within 2 days I received an email from the seller not to use the board because it was faulty and a new board would be sent out.

I exchanged the first faulty board received from Jason for the updated version. I never thought I would receive another board from China but it arrived today!  @Marty Backe GW gods are working in my favor!  :innocent1: :thumbup:

Upon opening the slightly crushed box I was surprised to see a new mainboard along with some other goodies! There was a packet containing a full set of black side shell attachment screws, mainboard mounting screws, pedal attachment allen screws , clear wire insulators and a tube of white silicone. High marks go out to this company! :clap3: Interestingly I am still waiting for my promised ACM trolley handle from the Green Travel Something Shop after 4 months. They have been contacted numerous times. 

52 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Look what arrived today! Another ACM+HB board. I had purchased a new main board from a Chinese firm on Ebay a few months ago. Delivery time: 6 weeks. When I found out Jason at Ewheels had new boards in stock I ordered one immediately! I figured having a spare board might be prudent.hfnfk4K.jpgShortly after receiving the new board from Jason GW began issuing new boards and firmware updates thanks to @Marty Backe's video evidence!  I then received the other board from China. Within 2 days I received an email from the seller not to use the board because it was faulty and a new board would be sent out.

I exchanged the first faulty board received from Jason for the updated version. I never thought I would receive another board from China but it arrived today!  @Marty Backe GW gods are working in my favor!  :innocent1: :thumbup:

Upon opening the slightly crushed box I was surprised to see a new mainboard along with some other goodies! There was a packet containing a full set of black side shell attachment screws, mainboard mounting screws, pedal attachment allen screws , clear wire insulators and a tube of white silicone. High marks go out to this company! :clap3: Interestingly I am still waiting for my promised ACM trolley handle from the Green Travel Something Shop after 4 months. They have been contacted numerous times. 

That's really impressive, particularly the extras. Surprised that they didn't also provide the heat transfer paste, but now I'm just being greedy :D Do you trust that the firmware is correct though, that's the question. Hopefully you'll never need another board - realistically the ACM's don't blow boards very often.

20 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

That's really impressive, particularly the extras. Surprised that they didn't also provide the heat transfer paste, but now I'm just being greedy :D Do you trust that the firmware is correct though, that's the question. Hopefully you'll never need another board - realistically the ACM's don't blow boards very often.

I misplaced 2 of the shell screws during the rebuild so I'm pleased with the packet of spares. Yes the thermal compound would have been nice but when I saw the size of the tube I knew immediately it was not the silver paste. A tube of that size would have been expensive. I can't read the Chinese verbiage on the tube so it could very well be KY jelly?  :) Regarding the firmware yes in the back of my mind I have a slight concern but then I ponder why the company would go to the effort and personally contact me about the firmware issue? I may contact Jason and ask if he would update the board. Actually I now have 2 spares.

Archived