My Grandson's NB1E+ Went Nuts! Help!

Rehab1

53 minutes ago, radial said:

Edited to say that after watching your video again, it looks like you are doing it right.  When you first turn on the wheel, though, it doesn't spin out right away.  That seems peculiar.  

Yes there was a restrained rapid spin on that particular start up. Not sure what to make of it. Being I cannot find a control board and I already have too many irons in the fire I just sent it back to Ninebot USA. They have a turn around time in 24-48 hours They would not sell me a main board due to safety reasons!

Interestingly Gotway is having us change out our main boards for their mistake! Completely different corporate paradigm.

It appears to jump forward, and then backwards when it powers on.  Strange.  It does appear the MB might be messed up.  It appeared to calibrate correctly, but then forgot what it learned when you put it on the ground again.

Any chance you can check for a firmware update while it's laying on it's side?  I'm not sure it will connect to the app when in this mode, so might not work.  Wondering if a firmware being flashed will set things back to normal...  Although, it is quite possible it's something physically wrong.

With all that said, it sounds like you may have already shipped it out.  If so, I'm sure NineBot USA will have it running again soon.

1 hour ago, SuperSport said:

With all that said, it sounds like you may have already shipped it out.  If so, I'm sure NineBot USA will have it running again soon.

Yes it left my office 2 hours ago to NJ via UPS.I still had  the original packaging and box but the molded cardboard inner shells would not fit over the NB because of all the protective padding and plastic molding. I was able to use half of the cardboard inner shell and then I just shoved in a bunch of bubble wrap. It appears secure for the short journey.

I greatly appreciate everyone's help but I now feel much better knowing that my grandson's NB will have a complete evaluation by Segway service. Working on my Gotway ACM and performing mods is fine as I will be riding it. Working on his wheel trying to determine the unknown problem is another story. 

Total cost: $40 round trip shipping and $165 for the board which includes installation.

Thanks again!

26 minutes ago, SuperSport said:

Yeah, hopefully it's not inside the motor, but if so, I believe they are slightly cheaper.

They will contact me after examining the NB with a price quote if more needs to be performed. A new motor and board would not be good! They did ask a bunch of questions before a return ticket could be generated. 

30 minutes ago, radial said:

Good choice, Rehab1.  Grandkids are irreplaceable.  

This one is very special as he lost his father.

3 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

They will contact me after examining the NB with a price quote if more needs to be performed. A new motor and board would not be good! They did ask a bunch of questions before a return ticket could be generated. 

Likely the board. Like I say though, the motor is cheaper, I think. But those boards do go out. 

10 hours ago, SuperSport said:

Likely the board. Like I say though, the motor is cheaper, I think. But those boards do go out. 

Unfortunately I am not always around when he rides the NB.What are the common issues that result in a blown board or motor on the Bot? Funny I know so much more about the GW than the first wheel I owned. 

BTW he does not jump curbs or perform stunts like @Jonathan Tolhurst although he was excited that he responded. He only weighs 38 KG.

When you go off steps it can kill the board.  That's happened a number of times that I'm aware of, and twice that I watched happen.  Those sudden stops with a bit of power applied seem to kill the Mosfets.  Riding in deep sand also, but that can happen on GotWay too as Ian Sampson has shown.

My buddy had 3 NineBots, and all three had boards going out regularly.  He had some very bad luck with them.  Twice, he was riding around 8mph and no hill, no acceleration, nothing, and it died and threw him off, once hurting him pretty bad.  That's where the helmet and guards come in to play.

Me, on the other hand, I did around 700 miles on my E+ without a single issue.  It worked flawlessly when I sold it.  I loved my E+, other than range and speed.  I wanted something that could do at least 17mph and 40+ miles, and now I have that.

• 2 weeks later...

I received word fron Ninebot USA that the control board is fried on my grandson's NB1.  The company stated yhey have never seen a NB1 act in this fashion.

They received the activation code yesterday from NB for the new board so it will ship out today. Is obtaining an activation code from NB customery in order for a new MB to function?  I thought you would just install the new board, calibrate and your ready to go. It sounds like they have tightened their standards.

9 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

They received the activation code yesterday from NB for the new board so it will ship out today.

That's one less hassle for you, since they are activating it for you.  I think you have to change the serial number of the ninebot when the board is changed.

On 7/7/2017 at 9:52 PM, SuperSport said:

Likely the board.

You win the prize!:cheers:

On 7/8/2017 at 11:08 AM, SuperSport said:

My buddy had 3 NineBots, and all three had boards going out regularly

Where does he purchase his boards from?

40 minutes ago, steve454 said:

That's one less hassle for you, since they are activating it for you.  I think you have to change the serial number of the ninebot when the board is changed.

Thats true! I have enough wheels I'm working on. It should arrive by Monday. I think it got dropped by my grandson as his mom stated they will now lift it for him when placing it into the van. I think we will be extra careful in the future.

On 7/7/2017 at 6:41 AM, litewave said:

Have you emailed SpeedyFeet to inquire about expected dates of new stock for the boards?  NinebotUS wants to charge for installation and repair. A seller in Singapore wants $250 as well. Given the already overpriced cost of the board at $250, I'd say find a used part or donor wheel, or upgrade to a newer wheel from a different manufacturer. They are simple to remove and replace.

Still, I'd try the cradle method to force recalibration again. Once that successfully comlpetes, I think all will return to normal.

Sorry for the late reply. Overwhelmed at work. It was definitely the board. My Grandson's NB1 just arrived from NinebotUS.  The repair cost 235.04. They even threw in a new charger as I did not include his charger with the wheel.

I went for a short spin to check out the NB1 and everything is back to normal but WOW did the 'Need For Speed' quickly overtake my senses. The NB1 is plenty fast for my grandson but if he ever rides any of my other wheels he will want to upgrade. 

Unfortunately I have not been following to many Ninebot posts lately. This may be old news but according to the NB flyer in the shipping box the sequence for plugging in the charger is 180 degrees different from other wheels. First the charger is plugged into the wheel and then the  charger is plugged into the wall. Not sure why NB has a completely different sequence. WZKgDPE.jpg

The first couple times I plugged wheel first then wall and got spark at the charge port.  Now I always plug wall first then wheel and no spark.  That's strange that the instructions are opposite of the way most people do it.

That ninebot behaves a bit like my GT16, but without the tremors. Mine shot off, hit my bicycle, climbed a meter up in the air and then fell to the ground and turned off. Scary as hell.

I'm changing the board. And since I had my motor problems, I'm changing the motor too. The old motor will be kept as a spare, and I got new hall sensors to eliminate the possibility that those are part of the problem.

I want to give a shoutout to Yi Chen on Rockwheel Store, that has been a total gem in this, even though he wasn't the original seller.

23 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:shock2:  I've been doing the opposite - plugging into the wall outlet first then the Ninebot - all    this   time.  :blink:  Eh, it still works.  :whistling:  Knock on wood.

18 minutes ago, steve454 said:

The first couple times I plugged wheel first then wall and got spark at the charge port.  Now I always plug wall first then wheel and no spark.  That's strange that the instructions are opposite of the way most people do it.

There must be a good reason why they emphasized using this technique. I am going to have my grandson follow this protocol. 

1 hour ago, steve454 said:

Ditto here. I have been following Speedyfeet's advice from one of his videos, to connect the charger to the charging port on the wheel first (albeit for Gotways). The charging adapter should protect against the typical surge when plugging into the mains, so I wonder what the underlying issue is.

3 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

There must be a good reason why they emphasized using this technique. I am going to have my grandson follow this protocol. 

Add one more step.  Plug into the wall first, then unplug.  Then plug into wheel, then back into the wall.  This will charge the Capacitors in the charger before plugging into the wheel and prevent that spark that happens.  ON the NineBot, the terminals are so tiny, it does not take much spark to arc them and burn them.

3 hours ago, litewave said:

Ditto here. I have been following Speedyfeet's advice from one of his videos, to connect the charger to the charging port on the wheel first (albeit for Gotways). The charging adapter should protect against the typical surge when plugging into the mains, so I wonder what the underlying issue is.

43 minutes ago, SuperSport said:

Add one more step.  Plug into the wall first, then unplug.  Then plug into wheel, then back into the wall.  This will charge the Capacitors in the charger before plugging into the wheel and prevent that spark that happens.  ON the NineBot, the terminals are so tiny, it does not take much spark to arc them and burn them.

Great advice and explanation as to why it is important to follow NB's protocol.

4 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:shock2:  I've been doing the opposite - plugging into the wall outlet first then the Ninebot - all    this   time.  :blink:  Eh, it still works.  :whistling:  Knock on wood.

Ah but the your Flame falls into an entirely different category. They are designed to take mega surges! Throw away that wimpy charger and hook that sucker up to 440V! ;)

Archived