EWheels 84v Fast Charger Review

Marty Backe

3 minutes ago, someguy152 said:

interesting can you give me an example as i've never heard of these adapters for chargers. they are safe?

yes completely.. been using them for years.. heres an example of this one which goes from a 4 pin aviation connector to a lenovo connector (84V wheels like V5F and KS18XL use lenovo) that i use on my ewheels fast charger.. you can get all sorts of adapters, what matters is that you have the correct voltage charger for that euc.. most are 84, some are 67, and i think my ninebot one is an outlier like 64V or something.. then of course you have the newer 100V gotways but as long as that matches you can get any sort of adapter and it should work great

20200330_183248.jpg

54 minutes ago, buell47 said:

20200203-143624.jpg

nice collection lol.. dual lenovo is for the 16X right? iirc it has the same dual ports as the 18L

Yes, it's for the 16X. 

I also changed the pin configuration from the V5F charging port (now positive on outer case AND middle pin) , now I can use the same Lenovo connector for King Song and Inmotion. :)

Edited by buell47
  • Like 1

On 3/31/2020 at 4:30 PM, someguy152 said:

ah i see, im currently a kingsong 67v guy so wont' need those for a while. you got on aliexpress?

5A here and 12A and GX16-4 connectors from here. Adapters are made by myself. 

Edited by buell47

6 hours ago, someguy152 said:

ah i see, im currently a kingsong 67v guy so wont' need those for a while. you got on aliexpress?

yea.. tec-toyz and 1radwerkstatt as well as aliexpress sell them.. btw buell that second link doesnt go to your site its a redirect here

2 hours ago, Denny Paul said:

Anyone know if these charges also are able to balance batteries when setting them to 100%? Or do I have to use the original charger for that?

they should... i havent actually tested it but according to the readout theyre still trickle charging

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Denny Paul said:

Anyone know if these charges also are able to balance batteries when setting them to 100%? Or do I have to use the original charger for that?

Batteries are normally balanced more or less during the constant voltage phase of charging. So if the charger is a "normal" li ion cell charger and supports the right max output voltage it will balance the pack.

26 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

they should... i havent actually tested it but according to the readout theyre still trickle charging

Sorry for ?fusspotting?, but li ions should not be trickle charged! I assume that's just an "expression thing" and you ment the constant voltage/saturation stage of li ion charging?!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chriull said:

Batteries are normally balanced more or less during the constant voltage phase of charging. So if the charger is a "normal" li ion cell charger and supports the right max output voltage it will balance the pack.

Sorry for ?fusspotting?, but li ions should not be trickle charged! I assume that's just an "expression thing" and you ment the constant voltage/saturation stage of li ion charging?!

i realize thats a bad term lol but i dont know what else to call it.. a topping charge perhaps is a better term.. the charger/bms of course wouldnt allow a continuous trickle charge or youd have peoples batteries going bad or blowing up left and right when they left them plugged in overnight

Edited by Rywokast
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

I got a JR-T450 as well. It does feel well made, solid, with great cooling efficiency and the idea to be able to adjust the self-stopping charging level and/or the speed to get there is very useful. For cell balancing, and I am just speculating, I would expect that setting it to 1A and 100% may help better than the original charger, as it would provide more time for the slower cells to catch-up.
I love this charger for what it may do, but after reading your experiences and mine, it is clear to me that it all depends on how well the device is calibrated for our vehicles. I got mine from a dealer on Aliexpress that offers to customize the chargers according to our needs. I provided all the details but he just sent me a default non calibrated unit, provided no after-sale support and even insulted me when reporting the issues. Aliexpress is no Amazon... The refund was a very small fraction of what I paid for it, without adding shipping and local taxes that are very high on my country.

I think this charger would be the best if we knew how to calibrate it and as some of you did it, by adding some output adapters to adjust it to our changing and diverse needs. I tried to contact the manufacturer (Foshan Jia Rui Electronics Co., Ltd.) on Alibaba, without response. I am a scientist that used to design and code firmware for camera gimbals (drones etc) until China made them cheaper than my sources of parts, and equipment for oceanographic research. I am a field biologist with prior studies on computing engineering but I am no electrician. With all thee issues my country is going through, I had to move into some alternatives. I love EUCs and started selling them and providing local support. But it is hard for me to offer a charger like this, unless I know how to calibrate it to fit our purposes and fix "details" that may be left by the manufacturer (like not charging to 100%). As Marty mentioned, inside it may have some potentiometers to adjust it while connected to a VMeter or even the app of some EUC manufacturers that provide details (like the Inmotion App with the V11 if well calibrated that shows plenty of information regarding the voltage of each battery, total and charging input V). I did open the charger and the only section I found that may be related to its calibration are three small blue rectangles that are potentiometers. If you remove the silicone from their top, you will access their small screw where to adjust them. From the edge to the interior of the charger they are one type 202 (2KOhms), and two type 102 (1KOhms). Without instructions nor support, I was left "to try and error". If we label them P1, P2 and P3 on the same order, all I noticed is that when the charger is On and the output plug is not connected, adjusting clockwise P1 increases the output Voltage regardless of the knobs's settings (% nor Amps knobs). If the output plug is connected to a battery, adjusting P1 does not change anything on the charger's display. Therefore the display may be showing the actual voltage of the battery rather than the charging output V?
P2 did nothing noticeable on the display of the charger regardless the two Knobs settings. But certainly it is there to do "something". Adjusting P3, anticlockwise only when connected to a battery and the % knob was set to 80%, it increased the output Amps and also affects the voltage but in a lower amplitude per screw turn compared to P1.  But be careful. I got even 9 Amps of output at some point. All other combinations (output plug not connected, other %Knob positions etc) did nothing noticeable when adjusting P3. Thus, it is not as simple as to with that P1 sets the cut-off voltage charge level for the 100% position, P2 for the 90% and P3 for the 80% level. :(
Messing, I was able to make the charger to turn Green when not connected to a battery. At least one step forward and better than it was received... but nowhere near to charge safely my vehicles nor provide this charger to my friends when not knowing how to calibrate it.

Lesson learned: even the best device is a no go when lacking form a reliable support.

to those that this charger is not charging to a full 100% despite setting the %knob to 100%, I would expect that half clockwise turn of the P1 (potentiometer closer to the edge of the charger) may increase a bit the output voltage and solve it.  Do this at our own risk. P1 seems to set the max output voltage of the charger. For a battery format of 20s,  I adjusted P1 to 84.0V while not plugged to the battery and %Knob is set to 100%.
About P3 (the potentiometer more to the center of the charger), do not touch it if your charger does provides 5A of current output when the A-knob is set to 5. It is not advisable to mess with this potentiometer unless your charger is not providing the 5A that is intended when set to 5.
I am still trying to understand how P2 works (the potentiometer between P1 and P3). I expect it should modify the max output voltage threshold when switching to 90% and 80%. But I am still in the dark.
I hope to find it out and provide a reliable protocol on how to adjust this charger because it is well worth.

• Like 1