EWheels 84v Fast Charger Review

Marty Backe

8 minutes ago, Shoe73 said:

Very nice charger. If you don't get one of these though there is another option to speed up your charging: get a Charge Doctor from hobby16. http://hobby16.neowp.fr/buy/

I got the one that has 2 inputs, so I connect two of my 2 amp Gotway chargers and charge at 4 amps. The CD allows you to set the end voltage or current and there is a logger included as well. 

Initially, ewheels sent out an email saying they would be shipping the new gotway msupers with the charge doctor.  I guess the decision was made to go with their proprietary product after the delays/recall due to firmware.

Good deal either way.

From the email:

"We will sending you 2x standard chargers in the box, together with the ChargeDoctor v2 duo, which has a number of advanced functions like partial charge capability & real-time monitoring. The biggest benefit of the CD Duo for the large capacity Gotways, is that the charging time is reduced by 50%."

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Shoe73 said:

Very nice charger. If you don't get one of these though there is another option to speed up your charging: get a Charge Doctor from hobby16. http://hobby16.neowp.fr/buy/

I got the one that has 2 inputs, so I connect two of my 2 amp Gotway chargers and charge at 4 amps. The CD allows you to set the end voltage or current and there is a logger included as well. 

Charge Doctor's are nice but if I have the option I'll always go with a single charger for the convenience.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Charge Doctor's are nice but if I have the option I'll always go with a single charger for the convenience.

I would too. I just mention it as another option for people. 

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I like the simple control nobs, but this charger seems to be pretty noisy, so therefore I rather prefer my two completely quiet 84V chargers plus charge doctor.

• Upvote 1

This charger is really nice...i like the options available!

there is only one downside in my view, and thats the fan. and i didn't mean the noise!

Fan "needing" chargers can get into some pretty trouble if the fan ever stops working and has a fault.

Edited by KingSong69
  • Upvote 1

Can anybody tell me the current rating of this fast charger, because I'm unable to see the video.

The largest current that a standard Gotway charge port can withstand, in my opinion, is 5A due to the small wire they use(20AWG) and also due to the connector(SM2P) which probably rated at 3A.

I changed my charge wire and connector to bigger ones on my V3s+ so that I can use my 10A/84V charger happily which takes about 80 minutes of charge time from 25% to 90%.
10A-1.jpg.ddd8274a0c10194ec9e05513f1bcbc2a.jpg

3 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

On the charger you can choose the Current Rate from 1 to 4 Amps in 1 Amp steps!

Also you can choose to have your Charge at 80, 90 or 100%!

For each Option there is a Switch on the side....Very nice Charger!

Small correction: The Current Rate has five settings; 1 to 5 amps in 1 amp steps.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Chris Westland said:

Hmm ... the one shown on eWheels' site looks different ... it has an LED readout, rotary switches and is black.

@zlymex is showing a picture of his 10 amp charger but is asking about the fast charger that EWheels is providing.

• Upvote 2

I have the ewheels fast charger that is only for the Inmotion. 

When I start it on the same line that runs just my air-conditioned, it blows the breakers. :) It runs fine solo.

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Just to clarify for anyone else who may read this, the breaker blows because the circuit has too many high power devices connected to it. There's nothing wrong with the charger.

How many watts do you think I was drawing to trip the breaker? I'm concerned about fires and such.

--Window air-conditioner.

--The fast-charger for the V5f.

33 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

How many watts do you think I was drawing to trip the breaker? I'm concerned about fires and such.

--Window air-conditioner.

--The fast-charger for the V5f.

I would be guessing. But that's what the breaker is for - to prevent fires. It trips to prevent excessive current through the wires. I'm assuming that you have a window air conditioner. Those can draw a lot of power, and if it's plugged into a 15 amp circuit along with a few hundred watts from the charger, the breaker will trip.

53 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Excellent review @Marty Backe.  So good in fact I just order one from Jason! I like the fact that the charger can be used for both the GW and KS!:thumbup:

It really is a great charger, BUT, it will not work with KingSong. This is an 84v charger and as we know, KingSong has no plans on moving to 84v wheels.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

It really is a great charger, BUT, it will not work with KingSong. This is an 84v charger and as we know, KingSong has no plans on moving to 84v wheels.

Maybe I ordered a different fast charger as this one states it works for both the KS and GW.

v35vhMs.jpg

5 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Maybe I ordered a different fast charger as this one states it works for both the KS and GW.

v35vhMs.jpg

Looks like you ordered his 67v charger.

The one that I reviewed is 84 volts and charges at a user selectable level of 1 amp to 5 amps. I don't think he has it on his website yet.

9 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

v35vhMs.jpg

If you look at the label on that charger you can see it says DC Output: 67.2 volts.