ACM popped a fet...

20 minutes ago, TremF said:

I'm still hoping for a loose connection but if it's the hall sensors then will this be fixed with a board change or...?

The hall sensors are placed in the Motor by the magnets....so unfortunatly it is a Motor Change instead of board Change.

19 hours ago, TremF said:

Update...

I went to the fracture clinic yesterday & had a 2nd x-ray which confirmed I've fractured my radial head. Luckily it's a s clean fracture so shouldn't take long to heal. They've given me a decent sling to wear for the next 3 weeks then I have to go back to have it checked & be assessed for physio.

This morning I go for my stitches out. Hopefully it'll mean I can start back a the sauna/steam room again as I usually visit those to help with my ongoing health issues &, hopefully, they'll help ease my extra pains.

I still haven't opened the ACM but after seeing mention of hall sensor failure beeps in another thread I managed to find the Gotway Warning Beep thread and it does seem a possibility I have a hall sensor problem from what I remember of the beeps when I turned it on after the cut out.

I'm still hoping for a loose connection but if it's the hall sensors then will this be fixed with a board change or...?

I'm trying not to think too much about the incident as I'm worried it'll knock my confidence for getting back on eventually. Especially thinking about the size & weight of the Monster.

I'll have protective gear but with since this my neck (where I had one op on my spine & could need another eventually) has been more painful & grating/cracking as I move it plus I've been having more headache's. It could be the last, paper, sling aggravated it and it will ease with the new, much better, one but not much I can do can stop my neck from serious damage/injury if I have another/worse fall.

The EUC is my mobility & keeps me sane so I don't want to loose confidence.

Just read this thread. Sorry to hear of your injuries and wheel problems. This really is a contact sport  :(

Seems shocking to me that it takes so long for diagnosis. Within the last year I've had two injuries where I was worried that I may have broken something (hairline type fracture). I went to my doctor at 9am, he sent me to the nearby hospital with an X-Ray prescription, and by 11am I had about 8 X-Rays taken (they always take them from all kinds of angles). The radiologist sent his report to my doctor in the afternoon (no fractures in my case). And if you ask (I always do) then they give you a CD with a copy of the images, while you wait.

I even had an MRI once, and I only had to wait until the next morning (it wasn't an emergency - more diagnostic).

I'm curious, do you believe any of your injuries would have been prevented if you had protective gear on?

Hang in there, buddy.  I had my follow-up visit with the orthopedist today.  I'm 6 weeks post injury and my radial head fracture is healing up nicely.  Doc said I had better mobility than most people at this stage of things.  I think it's because I've been doing my own self-prescribed PT.  Google "PT for radial head fracture" and you'll get some useful information on what to do.  Not now, but when you are about 4 weeks in.  

I'm riding the V8 every evening after work, so don't despair.  You'll be back on that wheel in no time and riding it more mindfully than ever before.   

@TremF I wasn't going to say anything, but okay I'll be the bad guy here and say it.  :innocent1:

After factoring in your medical history, I wonder whether it might be wiser to maybe switch to a Ninebot Mini, Mini Pro, or the new Ninebot Plus with two wheels in order to reduce the chances of further serious injury or aggravating your current condition.

We all know one wheel comes with inherent risks.  Most of the time we're riding safely and carefree, enjoying the effortless glide across the ground, mere inches higher than our fellow bipedal counterparts who are trudging along at a snail's pace.  When that time comes to fall and it inevitably will, be it from riding too close to a sharp curb, not seeing a pothole, or clipping a post accidentally, we have to be in well enough physical condition to be able to survive that fall.

My concerns would be if you were to become paralyzed or worsen your spinal condition where would that put you.  I'm naturally a worrywart so maybe it's just me, but you sometimes have to carefully weigh the consequences and risks against the benefits and rewards.  I just have to put that out there.

Where is @Cloud?

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Just read this thread. Sorry to hear of your injuries and wheel problems. This really is a contact sport  :(

Seems shocking to me that it takes so long for diagnosis. Within the last year I've had two injuries where I was worried that I may have broken something (hairline type fracture). I went to my doctor at 9am, he sent me to the nearby hospital with an X-Ray prescription, and by 11am I had about 8 X-Rays taken (they always take them from all kinds of angles). The radiologist sent his report to my doctor in the afternoon (no fractures in my case). And if you ask (I always do) then they give you a CD with a copy of the images, while you wait.

I even had an MRI once, and I only had to wait until the next morning (it wasn't an emergency - more diagnostic).

I'm curious, do you believe any of your injuries would have been prevented if you had protective gear on?

I had an x-ray on the day but, yes, it's daft I had to wait a week to see the fracture clinic but our NHS is very stretched. If I could afford to go private I would especially with my spine.

I once had an MRI & the results within 1/2 hour or so when I was seeing my surgeon for my spine. From that scan, where the compression on my spinal cord had worsened, he decided to go ahead with surgery.

The face/eye injury may have been averted had I been wearing a helmet or maybe even my riding glasses or I may have impacted my chin/jaw instead? The elbow I'm not sure of because it's a fracture caused by the stress of landing on my hand so hard. How much of the impact would wrist protection have taken & would it have stopped the fracture?

2 hours ago, radial said:

Hang in there, buddy.  I had my follow-up visit with the orthopedist today.  I'm 6 weeks post injury and my radial head fracture is healing up nicely.  Doc said I had better mobility than most people at this stage of things.  I think it's because I've been doing my own self-prescribed PT.  Google "PT for radial head fracture" and you'll get some useful information on what to do.  Not now, but when you are about 4 weeks in.  

I'm riding the V8 every evening after work, so don't despair.  You'll be back on that wheel in no time and riding it more mindfully than ever before.   

Thank you for the words of motivation & advice. As mine is a clean fracture and hasn't moved I'm, plus I'm just a teenie bit younger ;), I'm hoping to be healed by the time I go back for the check. That gives me 4 weeks. I should be good at the self PT as I already stretch daily to try & ease some of my back & neck pain.

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

@TremF I wasn't going to say anything, but okay I'll be the bad guy here and say it.  :innocent1:

After factoring in your medical history, I wonder whether it might be wiser to maybe switch to a Ninebot Mini, Mini Pro, or the new Ninebot Plus with two wheels in order to reduce the chances of further serious injury or aggravating your current condition.

We all know one wheel comes with inherent risks.  Most of the time we're riding safely and carefree, enjoying the effortless glide across the ground, mere inches higher than our fellow bipedal counterparts who are trudging along at a snail's pace.  When that time comes to fall and it inevitably will, be it from riding too close to a sharp curb, not seeing a pothole, or clipping a post accidentally, we have to be in well enough physical condition to be able to survive that fall.

My concerns would be if you were to become paralyzed or worsen your spinal condition where would that put you.  I'm naturally a worrywart so maybe it's just me, but you sometimes have to carefully weigh the consequences and risks against the benefits and rewards.  I just have to put that out there.

Where is @Cloud?

As well as the mobility side, I ride the EUC because it's fun, handles various terrain better & is only a "grey area" rather than definitely illegal, which everyone here knows of the 2+ wheeled devices. 

This is the worst injury in 2 years of riding & was because the ACM developed a fault. The wheel definitely behaved differently than it does for a pot hole or misjudging a curb. I was going slow but was thrown down hard & fast & there was no way I could step off. If it turns out to be the motor rather than a loose connection or the board then the ACM will be retired & I'll have to switch to the Monster as funds are bad at the moment.

On 7/11/2017 at 3:31 AM, TremF said:

The EUC is my mobility & keeps me sane so I don't want to loose confidence.

I'm sure you will be much more cautious when riding in the future. Riding my EUC and joining this forum has brought me out of some dark times. I say keep riding, slow down, wear safety gear and enjoy! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2017 at 11:31 PM, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Where is @Cloud?

What about a YikeBike? They are expensive but weigh under 30 pounds (CF is 23!) and do steer by your feet on the axis of the front wheel.

You wouldn't worry about a cutout on this bad boy.

1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

What about a YikeBike? They are expensive but weigh under 30 pounds (CF is 23!) and do steer by your feet on the axis of the front wheel.

You wouldn't worry about a cutout on this bad boy.

They look cool but instantly the price is off putting as well as the two wheels and legality - I wouldn't want to ride it on a road but Police would definitely have a problem with it on a pavement. Also I wouldn't feel comfortable on some of the terrains I ride and another biggie is the lack of power and range compared to my ACM (currently out of action) or Monster.

UPDATE for anyone who has not seen my other post - I opened the ACM yesterday and it seems the axle is broken. I've been told it will be easier and better to replace the full motor. Unfortunately neither of my distributors have the part in stock at the moment so I'm not sure when the ACM will be repaired. I do have the Monster but didn't really want to use it for work due to it's size.

42 minutes ago, TremF said:

They look cool but instantly the price is off putting as well as the two wheels and legality - I wouldn't want to ride it on a road but Police would definitely have a problem with it on a pavement. Also I wouldn't feel comfortable on some of the terrains I ride and another biggie is the lack of power and range compared to my ACM (currently out of action) or Monster.

UPDATE for anyone who has not seen my other post - I opened the ACM yesterday and it seems the axle is broken. I've been told it will be easier and better to replace the full motor. Unfortunately neither of my distributors have the part in stock at the moment so I'm not sure when the ACM will be repaired. I do have the Monster but didn't really want to use it for work due to it's size.

Wow, do you know how the axle broke? That might be the first that I've heard of an ACM axle breaking.

Just now, Marty Backe said:

Wow, do you know how the axle broke? That might be the first that I've heard of an ACM axle breaking.

I am presuming it's been weakening as I've dropped off curbs? I have to admit there have been a few occasions where I have dropped from curbs almost a foot high. Whereas 2 years ago when I first got a Ninebot Ian @ Speedyfeet was showing himself jumping about across rocks and down fair sized drops I don't think it'd be a good idea with the weight of today's EUC's.

On the morning of the incident I only went down a slight curb but it made an awful crack sound which I thought was the shell or pedal maybe but couldn't see anything so carried on slowly until it suddenly just gave up. I'm not sure how the axle being broken stops the wheel working all together? but I can see no loose cables and the board looks fine but either grabbing the nut or moving the cable wiggles the axle about.

1 hour ago, TremF said:

I am presuming it's been weakening as I've dropped off curbs? I have to admit there have been a few occasions where I have dropped from curbs almost a foot high. Whereas 2 years ago when I first got a Ninebot Ian @ Speedyfeet was showing himself jumping about across rocks and down fair sized drops I don't think it'd be a good idea with the weight of today's EUC's.

On the morning of the incident I only went down a slight curb but it made an awful crack sound which I thought was the shell or pedal maybe but couldn't see anything so carried on slowly until it suddenly just gave up. I'm not sure how the axle being broken stops the wheel working all together? but I can see no loose cables and the board looks fine but either grabbing the nut or moving the cable wiggles the axle about.

Oh, OK. Looks like I have nothing to worry about then. I purposefully avoid riding off any curbs because of the stress that it must be putting on the wheel. Ian is an abuser of wheels for sure ;) 

Another local rider is having an issue with loose axle nuts on his ACM. He does a lot of curb jumping too.

8 hours ago, TremF said:

I don't think the weight of the EUC in itself is a problem at all really. Even a monster weighs no more than 35-40% of most riders riding it.
Given we have no suspension except our knees, the diameter of the shaft and the quality of the steel in it are crucial variables for reliability. Both instantaneously being able to take the shock of a drop with a heavy rider on, but also to avoid fatigue even if the first fifty drops are fine.

I have been going on about the axle dimensions, and even caught some flak about it since electronic reliability is a higher priority.
But for me the two things are intertwined. Larger dimensions of the axle allows thicker gauge cables and so less resistance and heat.

If you can't get it from Ian, then ask Yi Chen from Rockwheel Store if he can get you the motor, he has access to spares for all the big Chinese brands. You can find him on FB or ask directly on AliExpress (Sorry for the obvious plug, but he's been a total gem in my case - my new motor, board and extra hall-sensors for the old motor are in speed DHL shipping ATM).

Archived