Feeling cursed: Back-to-back faceplants with injuries

Obly

Anyone know a friendly witch doctor or shaman? I'm wondering if I need a hex removed or something, because I seem to be having quite the unlucky streak. I've been riding for over a year and logged hundreds of miles on my KS-14C with nothing but a few bumps and bruises, only to bang myself up pretty good the last two times I rode. Just a warning in case there's something going around...

The first accident was user error, beginning of June. I was trying to cross an intersection between two busy roads. I hate this intersection; there's no crosswalk or pedestrian signal, and the first lane I have to cross approaches the intersection from around a bend, so you can't see the incoming traffic (and they can't see you) until they're almost on top of you. I had just entered the lane this time when a car came zipping around the bend. The right thing to do would be to floor it and cross as quickly as possible; that's usually what I do. But being out of practice (only a few rides in since a long winter break), I got startled and instinctively jerked the wheel hard to the left, trying to get back on the shoulder. The wheel tipped over and tossed me into the road, right in front of the oncoming car. Thankfully he was able to stop in time! I picked myself up and walked my wheel the rest of the way across (well, then had to dart back into the road to pick up my keys :huh:).

I thought I'd gotten away with just my pride being hurt, but I noticed my left big toe was starting to hurt badly. By the time I got home and had a look, the toe was already swollen and turning black, and a large hematoma was forming under the nail. I spent the weekend in a lot of pain before seeing a doctor on Monday. Turns out I had managed to fracture my toe and tear the nail bed, just from what I thought was a minor fall. I walked with a limp for about two weeks (no riding the EUC, obviously) and had to have the hematoma drained; I've since lost the toe nail (it will take 6-8 months to grow back :().

Finally got back on the wheel for the first time last Sunday. Things went well most of the ride, until I got to around the 22 mile mark. I think I got caught up in the bright, sunny weather, nice scenery, the moment--just felt good to be riding again, ya know? I lost my concentration and started accelerating way too hard up a hill. Nothing major (7.3% grade per my GPS tracker) but I was low on battery by that point (showing 4 bars on the EUC and ~55V in the KS app). You can guess what happened next. The thing that surprised me was just how fast the cut-out happened, almost no warning--not what you'd expect from a KS. One second it's all good, the next second I get the sensation that I'm tilting too far forward, and then boom, one beep and the wheel cuts out.

I hit the asphalt with my face, literally. Nose bleeding everywhere, vision went white, got faint and dizzy. I staggered to the side of the road and sat there for around 5 minutes until I could see again, then another 10 or so until I could keep my balance on the wheel. I made it the 2 miles to home (probably not too smart), and then it wasn't too long before my wife drove me to the hospital for facial x-rays and a head and c-spine CT. Amazingly my nose wasn't broken and my brain wasn't bleeding - hooray! :clap3: But oddly, I did manage to badly bruise my right big toe--thankfully no fracture or bleeding this time though. But I've been practically wearing a bag of frozen corn on my face since the accident.

I thought the real road warriors here would appreciate this picture. I bled on my EUC when I moved it off the road. This is the amount of dried blood still left on the underside of the pedal after riding it 2 miles to get home.

Anyway, I'm feeling a little unsure about things right now. Funny enough, I had actually already ordered a brand new Monster from Jason, and it arrived on Monday. I know in my head that Monsters are (supposedly) unaffected by the recent oscillation firmware problem and that probably neither of these accidents would have happened on a Monster. But I haven't yet brought myself to open the shipping box; I have half a mind to return it. These accidents really brought home for me how much risk we take every time we step on one of these things. Right now I'm really wondering if I want to add even more risk by riding a wheel from a company we can't trust. Food for thought...

Stay safe out there, ladies and gents (and protect your toes)...!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The more power you have, the more potential for an "awesome exit" from your wheel. 

I'm looking at am upgrade similar to yours, and mine will include something like this...

http://www.thegearcaster.com/2016/09/all-mountain-helmets-with-detachable-chin-bar.html

This gives the option for less protection (for a quiet ride) or more (for a @Marty Backe extravagansa)...

1 hour ago, Obly said:

Anyone know a friendly witch doctor or shaman? I'm wondering if I need a hex removed or something, because I seem to be having quite the unlucky streak. I've been riding for over a year and logged hundreds of miles on my KS-14C with nothing but a few bumps and bruises, only to bang myself up pretty good the last two times I rode. Just a warning in case there's something going around...

The first accident was user error, beginning of June. I was trying to cross an intersection between two busy roads. I hate this intersection; there's no crosswalk or pedestrian signal, and the first lane I have to cross approaches the intersection from around a bend, so you can't see the incoming traffic (and they can't see you) until they're almost on top of you. I had just entered the lane this time when a car came zipping around the bend. The right thing to do would be to floor it and cross as quickly as possible; that's usually what I do. But being out of practice (only a few rides in since a long winter break), I got startled and instinctively jerked the wheel hard to the left, trying to get back on the shoulder. The wheel tipped over and tossed me into the road, right in front of the oncoming car. Thankfully he was able to stop in time! I picked myself up and walked my wheel the rest of the way across (well, then had to dart back into the road to pick up my keys :huh:).

I thought I'd gotten away with just my pride being hurt, but I noticed my left big toe was starting to hurt badly. By the time I got home and had a look, the toe was already swollen and turning black, and a large hematoma was forming under the nail. I spent the weekend in a lot of pain before seeing a doctor on Monday. Turns out I had managed to fracture my toe and tear the nail bed, just from what I thought was a minor fall. I walked with a limp for about two weeks (no riding the EUC, obviously) and had to have the hematoma drained; I've since lost the toe nail (it will take 6-8 months to grow back :().

Finally got back on the wheel for the first time last Sunday. Things went well most of the ride, until I got to around the 22 mile mark. I think I got caught up in the bright, sunny weather, nice scenery, the moment--just felt good to be riding again, ya know? I lost my concentration and started accelerating way too hard up a hill. Nothing major (7.3% grade per my GPS tracker) but I was low on battery by that point (showing 4 bars on the EUC and ~55V in the KS app). You can guess what happened next. The thing that surprised me was just how fast the cut-out happened, almost no warning--not what you'd expect from a KS. One second it's all good, the next second I get the sensation that I'm tilting too far forward, and then boom, one beep and the wheel cuts out.

I hit the asphalt with my face, literally. Nose bleeding everywhere, vision went white, got faint and dizzy. I staggered to the side of the road and sat there for around 5 minutes until I could see again, then another 10 or so until I could keep my balance on the wheel. I made it the 2 miles to home (probably not too smart), and then it wasn't too long before my wife drove me to the hospital for facial x-rays and a head and c-spine CT. Amazingly my nose wasn't broken and my brain wasn't bleeding - hooray! :clap3: But oddly, I did manage to badly bruise my right big toe--thankfully no fracture or bleeding this time though. But I've been practically wearing a bag of frozen corn on my face since the accident.

I thought the real road warriors here would appreciate this picture. I bled on my EUC when I moved it off the road. This is the amount of dried blood still left on the underside of the pedal after riding it 2 miles to get home.

Anyway, I'm feeling a little unsure about things right now. Funny enough, I had actually already ordered a brand new Monster from Jason, and it arrived on Monday. I know in my head that Monsters are (supposedly) unaffected by the recent oscillation firmware problem and that probably neither of these accidents would have happened on a Monster. But I haven't yet brought myself to open the shipping box; I have half a mind to return it. These accidents really brought home for me how much risk we take every time we step on one of these things. Right now I'm really wondering if I want to add even more risk by riding a wheel from a company we can't trust. Food for thought...

Stay safe out there, ladies and gents (and protect your toes)...!

Wow, sorry to hear about your escapades with the ground :( Since my ACM and MSuper are out of commission just now I've been doing a lot KS14C riding. I've never had mine cut out on me (knock of wood). It's a great wheel.

That's some jump, moving from a 14" to 22" wheel :) Please don't give up on the Monster. There have been no indications that the Monster was affected by the recent firmware debacle. I would hate to see you pass on the opportunity to ride such a great wheel. I own one BTW and it's never let me down - I think I have about 600 miles on it now.

Just give it time. I've had a few bad experiences which made me feel a little uneasy riding again. But within a week or so that passes.

You didn't say if you wear protection (although that might not have helped in these two cases). But wearing quality protective equipment can go a long ways to providing peace of mind. Actually, let me amend this last paragraph. Buy a quality full face helmet. There are some really nice light weight versions available and they would have prevented your face injuries.

I don't know your riding style, but do you ride with bent knees all the time. Were your knees bent when this last accident occurred. I say that because with bent knees it's much less likely that you will literally face-plant.

Stay with us :thumbup:

P.s. Great story BTW, and thanks for sharing it :popcorn:

37 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

The more power you have, the more potential for an "awesome exit" from your wheel. 

I'm looking at am upgrade similar to yours, and mine will include something like this...

http://www.thegearcaster.com/2016/09/all-mountain-helmets-with-detachable-chin-bar.html

This gives the option for less protection (for a quiet ride) or more (for a @Marty Backe extravagansa)...

I've been thinking more and more about getting one of these types of helmets. @noisycarlos has been wearing one lately and besides being effective it looks cool.

5 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I've been thinking more and more about getting one of these types of helmets. @noisycarlos has been wearing one lately and besides being effective it looks cool.

Yeah, I think the MIPS helmets in particular are ideal for an EUC... The different riding position will change the motion of a fall, and everything that helps prevent (head) damage has to be good. 

On 30.6.2017 at 5:54 AM, Obly said:

That's something intrinsic to all wheels with electric motors - if one accelerates into the max torque speed limitbldcfig5.jpg

the overlean comes instantly (1) once one "touches" the line.

Future firmwares could "predict" quite easily this limit approaching by knowing the used torque, asked acceleration, current speed and warn 2-3 seconds before the limit is hit - but for now i am just happy that the firmware of my wheel just works and does not throw me of randomly... :ph34r:

On 30.6.2017 at 6:59 AM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Mine looks like the one on the second picture from your link - a great helmet! I just never used the chin guard - so till now just an investment to comfort my conscience...:D

edit: 

(1) instantly is relative - the torque starts to decrease once one hits the limit and still accelerates. So aggressively leaning forward while hitting the limit will give one the feeling of an instant "cut-off"/overlean while a slow/cautiously touching the limit just gives less support by the wheel and still a chance to react and decrease the speed and recover.

(this is no empirical knowledge of me gathered by riding along this limit all the time, but just theoretical thoughts i am quote convicent of.)

8 hours ago, Obly said:

Anyway, I'm feeling a little unsure about things right now. Funny enough, I had actually already ordered a brand new Monster from Jason, and it arrived on Monday. I know in my head that Monsters are (supposedly) unaffected by the recent oscillation firmware problem and that probably neither of these accidents would have happened on a Monster. But I haven't yet brought myself to open the shipping box; I have half a mind to return it. These accidents really brought home for me how much risk we take every time we step on one of these things. Right now I'm really wondering if I want to add even more risk by riding a wheel from a company we can't trust.

I had the exact same thing happen to me on my KS-14C, but for me it was my first ride but similar conditions (feeling good, accelerating with no regard for what could go wrong, because up to that point, nothing had ever gone wrong on an EUC).  It has taken me a while to get comfortable on my 14C again.  I changed out the motherboard to a "newer" one, so there is some added piece of mind that maybe my cutout had something to do with the old board.  Honestly though, I think it's just a threshold thing like @Chriull was pointing out and unfortunately it's hard for a rider to predict when to backoff.  The wheels are so fun when you can ride them and the only fear on your mind is in your abilities, not the hardware/software.  I don't have much advice about the Monster.  If it wasn't sitting right in front of you, I might attempt to steer you in another direction, but given that you already have the wheel and the reputation of the Monster is so solid (albeit Gotway's reputation sucks balls and if a "batch" of their Monsters all of a sudden had a problem no one on this forum would be surprised) then I'd say, open the thing, strap on some serious protective gear, and enjoy the hell out of that wheel!  In time, as you regain confidence in the wheel an technology, you may find that your riding style changes a bit.  I know mine has.  The biggest change for me is that I accelerate less violently and try to think more about the demands I am placing on the wheel and whether or not those demands match up with the capabilities of the wheel...good luck and I hope the Monster is everything you hoped it would be :thumbup:

7 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Yeah, I think the MIPS helmets in particular are ideal for an EUC... The different riding position will change the motion of a fall, and everything that helps prevent (head) damage has to be good. 

I'm looking at the Giro Switchblade at the moment. Gets good reviews. MIPS. Removable chin guard.  Apparently good ventilation. POV Go Pro mount.

But protection comes with a heat cost. The point of me getting the wheel was to have a less sweaty commute to work in FL. With the amount of gear I'm looking at I'll be even hotter than cycling... And less healthy due to the loss of daily cardio.

We should create a KS14c group with members who have recently faceplanted as I crashed about a week ago. No bruises, mild road rash. I, however, did not have a cutout which makes ALL the difference in the world.

I don't know what to tell you about cars zooming into the crosswalk. I've bailed more than a few times in intersection when cars make that right hand turn (presumably). I mean, I bailed twice two days ago from that.

Sometimes I walk the wheel across but that doesn't help much as I've had to jump back from cars going into the pedestrian crosswalk. Often they honk at me while swerving around me. Pedestrians aren't common; most days during my commute I will not encounter a single pedestrian.

17 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

... And less healthy due to the loss of daily cardio.

Off the bat, I'm not saying it is more healthy, but I find riding an EUC is better than just standing, or maybe even walking...

When I finish a ride, I am usually a bit short of breath and feeling like I've just been (lightly) exercising. Holding the right posture and keeping your core tensed in the right way for 20-60 minutes has to be somewhat beneficial, doesn't it? 

And while "actual" walking may be better, because of the distance I need to go (and the time I have to do it), I wouldn't "actually" walk anyway. Besides, nowadays walking seems so slow and boring. 

So my take is that I'm better off doing this than the nothing I would have done otherwise...  :wacko:

10 hours ago, Obly said:

I think I got caught up in the bright, sunny weather, nice scenery, the moment--just felt good to be riding again, ya know?

Yup, that complacency thing is something to watch out for for sure. In motorcycle safety that's a major risk factor.

My major motorcycle accident happened at 15mph, on a nice warm sunny summer day when I had one block and one intersection to go through. I never made it to my summer knife fighting class. The last thing I remember before my accident was how beautiful a day it was and how relaxed I felt. The next thing I knew I was headed for the hospital for a 2 week stay and 6 months of recovery with over $50K in medical bills, a year with a lawyer that was getting paid to sit on my case and let it die by the insurance company, and another 6 months of legal negotiations (with a second lawyer) to get half my bills paid (minimum insurance deal).

Gotta stay alert. Now I double check every intersection, ally, driveway, etc.

2 hours ago, Maximus said:

I had the exact same thing happen to me on my KS-14C, but for me it was my first ride but similar conditions (feeling good, accelerating with no regard for what could go wrong, because up to that point, nothing had ever gone wrong on an EUC).  It has taken me a while to get comfortable on my 14C again.  I changed out the motherboard to a "newer" one, so there is some added piece of mind that maybe my cutout had something to do with the old board.  Honestly though, I think it's just a threshold thing like @Chriull was pointing out and unfortunately it's hard for a rider to predict when to backoff.  The wheels are so fun when you can ride them and the only fear on your mind is in your abilities, not the hardware/software.  I don't have much advice about the Monster.  If it wasn't sitting right in front of you, I might attempt to steer you in another direction, but given that you already have the wheel and the reputation of the Monster is so solid (albeit Gotway's reputation sucks balls and if a "batch" of their Monsters all of a sudden had a problem no one on this forum would be surprised) then I'd say, open the thing, strap on some serious protective gear, and enjoy the hell out of that wheel!  In time, as you regain confidence in the wheel an technology, you may find that your riding style changes a bit.  I know mine has.  The biggest change for me is that I accelerate less violently and try to think more about the demands I am placing on the wheel and whether or not those demands match up with the capabilities of the wheel...good luck and I hope the Monster is everything you hoped it would be :thumbup:

Exactly. I enjoy accelerating, but I never hit the accelerator hard. And I too am always keenly aware of the stresses that I may be putting on the wheel and try and keep them within reason of the wheel that I'm on.

1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

We should create a KS14c group with members who have recently faceplanted as I crashed about a week ago. No bruises, mild road rash. I, however, did not have a cutout which makes ALL the difference in the world.

I don't know what to tell you about cars zooming into the crosswalk. I've bailed more than a few times in intersection when cars make that right hand turn (presumably). I mean, I bailed twice two days ago from that.

Sometimes I walk the wheel across but that doesn't help much as I've had to jump back from cars going into the pedestrian crosswalk. Often they honk at me while swerving around me. Pedestrians aren't common; most days during my commute I will not encounter a single pedestrian.

You really do ride in a war zone :)  I'm extremely defensive and always demand eye contact before I cross in front of a car. The eye contact thing has served me very well. No swerving cars or honking, etc.

5 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

You really do ride in a war zone :)  I'm extremely defensive and always demand eye contact before I cross in front of a car. The eye contact thing has served me very well. No swerving cars or honking, etc.

This was a key thing taught in my motorcycle classes. Consider yourself unseen until you have looked into their eyes and even then proceed with caution.

Using WheelLog to see what your energy usage can <probably> keep you out of trouble. Certainly when I started using it I was surprised to see where I used the most power and how small the changes in riding style can have a huge effect on energy use.

When I first got my wheel I treated more like a skateboard or my rollerblades, and that all gradually changed to treating it like an expensive high-strung sports car with zero fender-clearance. I mean, can you think of a single other vehicle that tries to throw you off when you make a 90 degree turn through an intersection (as the pedals droop forward scaring the hell out of me, today)?

Hm, get well better and make sure you really don't have any hidden head or neck injuries from hitting your head and almost passing out.

My thoughts while reading:

• wear better (stronger/harder) shoes:P
  • looks like you need a stronger wheel (seems you already did that, but maybe not the best choice for peace of mind;))
  • Does the 14C not have an 80% warning or so? Or was the needed power surge so big it had no chance anyways and it just was overpowered so quickly?
9 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I don't know your riding style, but do you ride with bent knees all the time. Were your knees bent when this last accident occurred. I say that because with bent knees it's much less likely that you will literally face-plant.

Can you explain? Also, how much bending are you talking about, basically squatting or simply not maximally straight legs (who does that?)

2 hours ago, Maximus said:

I had the exact same thing happen to me on my KS-14C, but for me it was my first ride but similar conditions (feeling good, accelerating with no regard for what could go wrong, because up to that point, nothing had ever gone wrong on an EUC).  It has taken me a while to get comfortable on my 14C again.  I changed out the motherboard to a "newer" one, so there is some added piece of mind that maybe my cutout had something to do with the old board.  Honestly though, I think it's just a threshold thing like @Chriull was pointing out and unfortunately it's hard for a rider to predict when to backoff.  The wheels are so fun when you can ride them and the only fear on your mind is in your abilities, not the hardware/software.

I note the specs of the KS-14C are not hugely dissimilar to the Inmotion V8 you ride now (and that I have ordered). Do you have any feelings that the Inmotion is more or less likely to do this vs the KingSong? Was your battery very low when your KS failed you? I recall you have ridden your V8 to empty and didn't have any issues (although clearly you ride more mindfully now). I'm wondering if @Oblywas let down by insufficient torque from the 800W motor or insufficient power/voltage drop from the low battery.

3 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Can you explain? Also, how much bending are you talking about, basically squatting or simply not maximally straight legs (who does that?)

I took note in Marty's mSuper crash video that he had a good bend in the knees the whole time he rode. Might want to look at that for reference.

4 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Does the 14C not have an 80% warning or so? Or was the needed power surge so big it had no chance anyways and it just was overpowered so quickly?

80% of what? Nominal motor power output?

19 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

This was a key thing taught in my motorcycle classes. Consider yourself unseen until you have looked into their eyes and even then proceed with caution.

Ditto on the motorcycle training.I've been riding motorcycles since the '70s and have never crashed a street bike.(Can't say the same about the dirt).

4 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

I note the specs of the KS-14C are not hugely dissimilar to the Inmotion V8 you ride now (and that I have ordered). Do you have any feelings that the Inmotion is more or less likely to do this vs the KingSong? Was your battery very low when your KS failed you? I recall you have ridden your V8 to empty and didn't have any issues (although clearly you ride more mindfully now). I'm wondering if @Oblywas let down by insufficient torque from the 800W motor or insufficient power/voltage drop from the low battery.

I have 100% faith in the V8 and V5F, which is why my kids ride those (primarily).

The 14C was too good of a deal to pass up, but I think of that wheel as an "old" wheel, so while the specs may be slightly better in terms of speed and range than the V8, I think of the 14C as driving my antique plow truck, so I take it slow, don't ask too much of her and she'll do the job.  If I beat on her too much (slam into snow banks or jump off curbs/accelerate too quickly in the case of the EUC) she'll break down and leave me stranded (or face down).  Others have had great results with the 14C, so I don't want to make it sound like it its junk, I actually have so much faith in the KingSong reputation that the 16S is my next wheel, but Inmotion, for me, is the most reliable.  If they offered a wheel with more speed and range (i.e. a V10?), then I'd be purchasing it, no question.

1 minute ago, Maximus said:

I have 100% faith in the V8 and V5F, which is why my kids ride those (primarily).

The 14C was too good of a deal to pass up, but I think of that wheel as an "old" wheel, so while the specs may be slightly better in terms of speed and range than the V8, I think of the 14C as driving my antique plow truck, so I take it slow, don't ask too much of her and she'll do the job.  If I beat on her too much (slam into snow banks or jump off curbs/accelerate too quickly in the case of the EUC) she'll break down and leave me stranded (or face down).  Others have had great results with the 14C, so I don't want to make it sound like it its junk, I actually have so much faith in the KingSong reputation that the 16S is my next wheel, but Inmotion, for me, is the most reliable.  If they offered a wheel with more speed and range (i.e. a V10?), then I'd be purchasing it, no question.

Good to know. Thanks for taking the time to give your reasoning behind the feeling. 

41 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

I mean, can you think of a single other vehicle that tries to throw you off when you make a 90 degree turn through an intersection (as the pedals droop forward scaring the hell out of me, today)?

I think the latest info on this issue is that you can get rid of this! Recalibrate the wheel, and the key then is to have the wheel exactly (as much as possible) level sideways (aka not tilted to the left or right). You can still have a pedal tilt forwards or backwards. Works at least for Gotways. Worked on my ACM, factory condition made me worried every turn, wondering when the wheel would suddenly starting playing rodeo bull with me. Now after a sideways-level recalibration, it's gone.

21 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

80% of what? Nominal motor power output?

80% (or whatever percentage) of what the batteries can deliver. If the other components of a wheel can keep up with the what the batteries can do (don't ask if this is the case for every wheel:cry2:), this is a good stand in for overall "wheel utilization percentage". Basically not the speed warning, but the warning beeps that stop you from overpowering the wheel. Not sure how this works on KS wheels, if it is combined with a forced tiltback or so, but they should have something similar, shouldn't they?

Unfortunately the 14C is one of the last wheels from KS -especially when 14c from older type and not upgradable- that is known not to deliver the full 30kmh and/or hard accelerations on hills, over the complete batterie life! I heard that a lot and also my friends from KS Thailand say the same.

Under about 50% you have to be careful what you are doing on a 14c....Going full speed or accelerate on a hill with lower batterie can lead to a cutout. KS has delivered newer firmware with speed restrictments on lower batterie, and have been bashed hard for going the safety way and keeping the speed down under 50%...

In later models of Kingsong wheels, like Ks16, 16s, 14d, 18ay...where much more was done for safety....i never heard of a fail like that or lets better say extremely seldom! (the seldoms are first Ks16 with very early motherboards...)

i had luck that my 14c never let me down, my Ks18A-even when over a year old- is the safest wheel ever,BUT:  in general you have heard it here before: Better to be secured by some good wrist guards, helmets and so on, that might help in worse case!

Euc's are "not safe" as some might think, they have no kind of redundancy whatsoever, and as long as this does not change ALL brands can lead to a fall or injuries.

1 hour ago, Maximus said:

Even when the Inmotion wheels are known for good quality...there are enough reports of fails on a V8, also. 100% faith might be a bit to much...no matter in which wheel. 

Archived