Battery Capacity, Longevity, and Manufacturer Reserves

WARPed1701D

11 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I probably don't represent the average rider, but I don't think I'll own any given wheel for more than a couple of years. So I just charge to 100 percent and don't worry about it. I'm more focused on having fun with the wheel. And since I enjoy long rides I'd rather have the additional 10% battery capacity for my longer ride than to extend the life of the batteries.

I did just get a fancy charger from EWheels so I may charge my Monster to only 90%, but only because it has such a huge range that I won't miss that 10% charge.

I completely understand where you are coming from and I'll admit an obsession to extending battery life beyond most other people. It started when they began building non-removable batteries into cell phones and laptops etc. I've a strong desire to make my $3000 Surface Book last a good long while! Admittedly you can replace the pack easily in the V8 but at >$300 I don't want too.

90% of my rides will be repetitive commuting etc. I'll know where I'm going and how far it will be so am fairly sure I'll be able to fall into a routine with charging/discharging levels without any loss of QoL with the wheel> I brought a fast charger to supplement the stock one so will have one at home and one at work allow boosts if plans change. But, I won't think twice about full charges where necessary and as already stated they are desirable to balancing purposes. I won't, for example, cut a ride short just because I refused to fully charge before I left. 

2 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

If you are really interested in charge values and all the things going on, i highly recommend a Charge Doctor V2!

with that tool you can monitor your batterie status, voltage, the Watthours and amps that have been loaded, and so on and so on....

with it you can also adjust to stop charging at a specific voltage or percentage....for example 90% or 66 Volt.

in the states ewheels.com is selling this great little tool!

It was the third thing in my cart...after the wheel of course, and the protective cover, but just before the fast charger (order of priorities).

Just now, WARPed1701D said:

It was the third thing in my cart...after the wheel of course, and the protective cover, but just before the fast charger (order of priorities).

If you have a charge doctor V2 (with 2 load inputs) you can save the money for a fast charger and take another (cheaper) standard charger instead......

Money saved...fast charging possible with cd v2 and second standard charger....AND also this great tool ;-)

7 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

I completely understand where you are coming from and I'll admit an obsession to extending battery life beyond most other people. It started when they began building non-removable batteries into cell phones and laptops etc. I've a strong desire to make my $3000 Surface Book last a good long while! Admittedly you can replace the pack easily in the V8 but at >$300 I don't want too.

90% of my rides will be repetitive commuting etc. I'll know where I'm going and how far it will be so am fairly sure I'll be able to fall into a routine with charging/discharging levels without any loss of QoL with the wheel> I brought a fast charger to supplement the stock one so will have one at home and one at work allow boosts if plans change. But, I won't think twice about full charges where necessary and as already stated they are desirable to balancing purposes. I won't, for example, cut a ride short just because I refused to fully charge before I left. 

That's the main thing :thumbup: Pamper the batteries when you can, but don't let that affect your riding.

@KingSong69I'm not sure the number of inputs. I simply purchased the one for the V8 (3 Pin)  although I have seen what you talk about in other posts and on the Charge Doctor web site.

I opted for the fast charger as I can see some times (rare at the moment) where my round-trip need will exceed the fairly limited range of the V8. Charging speed graphed in an older post I found while searching the forum showed that for a V5F+(uses the same battery) it crammed a lot more back in the cells during say a 30 minute coffee stop than the regular charger. Hence I decided to pick that up and carry it with me if absolutely necessary.

2 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

@KingSong69I'm not sure the number of inputs. I simply purchased the one for the V8 (3 Pin)  although I have seen what you talk about in other posts and on the Charge Doctor web site.

I opted for the fast charger as I can see some times (rare at the moment) where my round-trip need will exceed the fairly limited range of the V8. Charging speed graphed in an older post I found while searching the forum showed that for a V5F+(uses the same battery) it crammed a lot more back in the cells during say a 30 minute coffee stop than the regular charger. Hence I decided to pick that up and carry it with me if absolutely necessary.

Ok, weight wise, its better to have ONE 3-4 Amp fast charger in the pocket, than TWO standard chargers of 1,5-2 Amp (3-4 Amp if connected by charge doctor)....

it's just that this is another advantage of the CD....having a fast charge, with 2 simple standard chargers.....

But WHILE riding....yeah, an explicit Fast charger might be better....

Archived