Thinking about buying a Mohawk, whats your guys opinion?

(I posted this on reddit but it got no good replys so I made a account here and I wanna see if you guys can help me out. Thanks!)

I found out about this thing on the Jimmy Kimmel show. I can pick this up with a coupon code I found online for 750$ ("BASED" for anyone interested) it doesn't look cheap and its got some pretty good specs compared to some of the Chinese type ones I seen before. The speaker feature looks pretty nice, I haven't seen any ones before with that actually.

Whats your guys opinion?

Much apprecated,Thanks

http://www.onpoint.world/products/mohawk

It doesn't say how many Wh the battery is or how many w the motor is and it isn't exactly cheap. Built in handle is nice for those that like them, speed is a little slow and range as always is dependant on rider weight, terrain and temperature and is normally quoted as optimal conditions so expect about half of what is quoted unless you weigh less than 60Kg. 

Other wheels have blutooth speakers and numerous other features and I imagine like most other wheels it's probably made in China.

Not much specs listed... Looks like a typical Inmotion V3? I think they all have lights & playing music over Bluetooth, but could be wrong... "Mohawk" might be some reseller-specific rebranding (or maybe even a special OEM-version made just for them?), I don't know much about InMotion or other 2-wheeled devices.

Check out the InMotion-posts in the forum (do a search with inmotion: http://forum.electricunicycle.org/search/?q=inmotion ), and maybe compare with other InMotion-resellers: http://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/458-where-to-buy-incomplete-reseller-list/

(I posted this on reddit but it got no good replys so I made a account here and I wanna see if you guys can help me out. Thanks!)

I found out about this thing on the Jimmy Kimmel show. I can pick this up with a coupon code I found online for 750$ ("BASED" for anyone interested) it doesn't look cheap and its got some pretty good specs compared to some of the Chinese type ones I seen before. The speaker feature looks pretty nice, I haven't seen any ones before with that actually.

Whats your guys opinion?

Much apprecated,Thanks

http://www.onpoint.world/products/mohawk

Really love your avatar !!! It's like... Euh, how can I say ??? Pretty neutral ????

:D

@John Cockburn I notice the mohawk is a twin-wheeled version.  Many riders, once gaining experience, find that they greatly prefer the one-wheeled models.   And some even say they despise the 2 wheeled models.  I recommend do some research on 2-wheel vs. 1-wheel models to consider your choices from an informed position.  Even search this forum.  Just my attempt to help you make your decision. 

Douglas Ingram has bought an Inmotion twin wheel for some months now.

It's the best twin wheel I've found so far, it's on my list of next wheel, for my wife. There are many good video reviews on Youtube.

The only cons I find is the (relatively) small range compared to my Firewheel 260 Wh but not a major bad point.

$750 could be a good price depending on shipping cost, customs, etc..

electricunicycleonline.com sells at $740 : http://www.electricunicycleonline.com/inmotion-v3-twin-wheel-self-balancing-electric-unicycle-with-extensible-rod-blue.html

The only cons I find is the (relatively) small range compared to my Firewheel 260 Wh but not a major bad point.

Anyone got teardown pictures of the Inmotion? Maybe there's enough space for more battery packs? 72V, sounds like it could be 20S pack?

Holy hell, really impressed at your guy's input. Has anyone ever heard/bought from them before? They seem like a new company but they seem to have a good product and the price ain't too bad with that discount code I found. This is a video I found of it in action. My girlfriend's a big Megan Trainer fan and I saw this and I thought it was pretty cool. She also has stuff about it on her Instagram. I also don't have too much knowledge on the product that's why I am posting here, I just thought it was dope as fuck. Im looking into this as a hobby for myself. So if anyone can provide me with anything of the product let me know, you guys have been nothing but big help, im quite impressed because of how small this forum is too. Thanks!

On 7/30/2015 at 11:26 PM, hobby16 said:

Douglas Ingram has bought an Inmotion twin wheel for some months now.

It's the best twin wheel I've found so far, it's on my list of next wheel, for my wife. There are many good video reviews on Youtube.

Isn't it heavier too?

Edited by Mono

I would see another con: roughly 2kg overweight

I was nearly saying that. :D

But then I recanted because the Inmotion has a retractable handle, so you nearly never have to carry it. My wife weights less than 55kg, had the Inmotion not the possibility to become a trolley, it would have been too heavy for her.

Esaj had a good point about the Inmotion's unorthodox battery : 18 cells instead of 16 cells. And a quite different charge connector too.

This is a video I found of it in action. My girlfriend's a big Megan Trainer fan and I saw this and I thougwht it was pretty cool.

Wow, that's great. We need more celebrities like her to snowball the use of ewheels. Her dress assorted to the wheel's color is an absolute hit.

I can tell she is a beginner because no need to remove her shoes to ride. Twin-wheels are quite easy to ride, you need about 15 minutes to get on rolling. For monowheels, well... 15 days.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been riding the Mohawk V3 for two months now, and I love it!  I used it for my door to door sales job, and the Bluetooth app for the V3 allowed me to easily turn the wheels on and off, which is extremely useful BECAUSE it has two wheels and can balance by itself resting turned off or on. 

Anyways I'm really interested in figuring out how to open this thing up, I popped a tire (thankfully I had two so I could still carefully arrive to my destination) and I want to replace both of them with completely rubber tires (no air) if possible.  This would make sense seeing that I never want to pump up the tires or replace them again in the first place.  Other than that and the battery like others have been saying being funky at times, this is the coolest thing I've experienced.  I drive mine through grocery stores, mow the lawn, go quickly through airports, and just have a great time.  But like I said I can't really do anything till the tires fixed.  Of course there is a warranty, but that requires more shipping and I'm more interested in learning how these things work! And like I said I want to improve the tires with something that technologically fits the rest of the vehicle, who says we need poppable tires on these things?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXvm21aGqFY - here's a random video I just found of exactly what I was thinking about as I am writing this post. 

Please if anyone has any experience opening these things up, post some pictures or something!

Also, as I first mentioned, I'm in sales.  If anyone has connections or information on how I can start selling these things to people that would be great too, just send me a message. I get 10-15 people a day ask me where they can buy one. 

On 8/19/2015 at 6:44 AM, Chase.Blaser said:

But like I said I can't really do anything till the tires fixed.  Of course there is a warranty, but that requires more shipping and I'm more interested in learning how these things work! And like I said I want to improve the tires with something that technologically fits the rest of the vehicle, who says we need poppable tires on these things?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXvm21aGqFY - here's a random video I just found of exactly what I was thinking about as I am writing this post. 

Constructing airless tires with reasonable functionality (damping, durability, rolling resistance, weight) that carry weights up to 100kg seems to be a super hard technological problem. Many, many people want them for generations (i.e. the market would be huge) and we haven't got any so far. It's very unlikely that you just found the solution on Youtube, and that is what the comments to the vid suggest. 

The application of tire sealant seems to mitigate the problem of flat tires comparatively well (prevention and repair). High quality tires (e.g. with a Kevlar layer) are also quite puncture resistant from the get-go.

Please if anyone has any experience opening these things up, post some pictures or something!

Check out the Mods&Repairs part of the forum.

http://forum.electricunicycle.org/forum/10-mods-repairs/

Also, as I first mentioned, I'm in sales.  If anyone has connections or information on how I can start selling these things to people that would be great too, just send me a message. I get 10-15 people a day ask me where they can buy one. 

Will your sales include warranty for flat tires? 

Edited by Mono

• 2 months later...

Anyone got teardown pictures of the Inmotion? Maybe there's enough space for more battery packs? 72V, sounds like it could be 20S pack?

@esaj Here is a teardown picture.

20151023113705.thumb.jpg.9d26bc28c192b87

I asked Inmotion if I can upgrade the battery to higher capacity and here is their response. 

Hi sir,
        Thanks for your feedback.

It is not feasible to replace the battery in order to increase the range.Once you replace the large capacity battery,you should change many of the components and internal structure.

TKS!

They have a version V3S with 288Wh battery mine is V3C which only have 144wh battery.

• Upvote 1

Starting with EUs you'll find it easy to learn it. But you'll experience behaviours if driving off street. Imagine a way/ street in the forrest. This ways are not plain and a two wheel EU will become very uncomfortable to drive. 

The V3 can switch off in wet conditions. Do you remember it has a touch, swipe display to turn it on. And I heard about special conditions where it can switch off (if yo stand or toll slightly, can't remember exactly, not dangerous but uncool). 

Mohawk and Inmotion should be the same thing.  They can't coincidentally have the exact same body and leather pads on the sides and yet be different.  They could have different specs - but also the tires couldn't possibly be 14-inch, they should be 12-inch.  Look at MetricUSA's Q3 and it looks huge compared to Inmotion - see the width and how narrow the Inmotion is.  This is an old thread but $50 off is pretty good.  Oh and if you measure the chassis then maybe it could be considered 14-inch but the tire is smaller.

And now for the fun part of riding dual-tire wheels ...when you put weight on your heels the transition from tire to tire as you maneuver become smoother and you become more agile.  If you look at the Q3 it looks like a tank and I bet it will be fun on dirt trails for short runs - just as long as you put your weight on the back of the pedals more on your heels.

When I ride the Inmotion V3 for a while my heels hurt which is different from when I'm riding a single tire.  I wonder if others have similar experience - I take it to mean a totally different style of riding, I can't think of what it's similar to where you can lean back and put a lot of strength on your turn - it equals more weight on your inside foot at the heel when carving... versus balancing weight across both feet or weight on the outside foot.

• 5 years later...