Gotway Msuper V3s+ 84v (1300wh) failed. Loose axle nut.

9 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Man, I think I owe you a commission.

I'm still on the fence because I'm concerned about using imperial sizes on the Gotway metric nuts.  

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

That's perfect Dion. I've searched for dog-bone wrenches and scaffolding wrenches, but none are available in the 21mm and 25mm sizes.

Now I've finally found the correct search term thanks to you. Home Depot sells 21mm and 25mm sockets for the pass-through wrench.

Thanks man! :cheers:

I tried this. Passthru wrench was my very first option but again they don't make right sized socket for monster lol

sigh...it's time for gotway to manufacture tool kit for its users

6 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I'm so tempted, but upon closer inspection these are not true metric sizes. They fit both imperial and metric, which means they will be slightly larger than the perfect fit required for the axle nuts. These nuts require so much force that you are liable to round the nuts when using a 1" socket vs the exact 25mm size.

Back to the drawing board :(

For the good of the community I have a 25 mm socket arriving tomorrow that I will modify and send out to you. I still have your address. If all goes well you should have it by Friday. My treat as you are always helping the community! You can then advertise yourself as 'Marty's Monster Nut Service'.  :)

The motor/ hall sensor wire bundle should not require a lot of room for the slot to clear but if you can provide me with a distance for the height of the cutout that would be helpful.

Also I believe a 1/2" slot width should be enough but less would better for strength. Please provide me the diameter of wire bundle. I'm sure it is the same size as my ACM. Thanks!

36396817906_9b0ec7a16b_m.jpg

9 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

10% agent fees apply.  B)  Okay okay metric smektric.  Not as cheap, but try this.  I couldn't find a 1/2" drive version though.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/291605761832

Another great find @Hunka Hunka Burning Love. You clearly have superior search skills :thumbup:

I'm going to keep this reference, but for the time being I'm going to take up @Rehab1's offer to provide a slotted socket. If that works it's the best solution because no wires have to be removed (a mess to deal with because of the silicon that they smear over all the connectors).

Thanks again man :)

6 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

For the good of the community I have a 25 mm socket arriving tomorrow that I will modify and send out to you. I still have your address. If all goes well you should have it by Friday. My treat as you are always helping the community! You can then advertise yourself as 'Marty's Monster Nut Service'.  :)

The motor/ hall sensor wire bundle should not require a lot of room for the slot to clear but if you can provide me with a distance for the height of the cutout that would be helpful.

Also I believe a 1/2" slot width should be enough but less would better for strength. Please provide me the diameter of wire bundle. I'm sure it is the same size as my ACM. Thanks!

Amazing offer @Rehab1. Don't know what to say :)  If this works it's the best solution, requiring the least amount of intrusion into the Monster. I'll get those dimensions shortly...

7 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

So, it turns out that the nut is 24mm, not 25mm. @Sven had told me the dimension and that's what I've been telling everyone. But I just measured it! Sorry @Rehab1, I feel bad that you have bought the wrong size based on what I've been spouting in the forum. I'm upset with myself :crying:  Next time I'm only going to relay first hand knowledge.

Since I'm paying attention to sizes right now, I was able to compare the axle size of the Monster to the ACM. The Monster axle is substantially bigger than the ACM. So we know that Gotway is capable of incorporating bigger axles (and thus bigger holes for the bigger cables) in their wheels.

FWIW, the Height of Slot is 5/8" and the Width of Slot is 3/8". The cable is actually 1/16" smaller than 3/8". Maybe 1/16" isn't enough slop to allow for movement while turning the nut? So maybe between 3/8" and 1/2" ?

18 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

FWIW, the Height of Slot is 5/8" and the Width of Slot is 3/8". The cable is actually 1/16" smaller than 3/8". Maybe 1/16" isn't enough slop to allow for movement while turning the nut? So maybe between 3/8" and 1/2" ?

:blink: I will never understand why inches and fractions of inches have not died a horrible and painful death in the 21st century. :D

30 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

So, it turns out that the nut is 24mm, not 25mm. @Sven had told me the dimension and that's what I've been telling everyone. But I just measured it! Sorry @Rehab1, I feel bad that you have bought the wrong size based on what I've been spouting in the forum. I'm upset with myself :crying:  Next time I'm only going to relay first hand knowledge.

No Problem. It's only a mm. ;) I just ordered the 24mm. I should be able to cancel the 25 mm.  Amazon still shows the new order will arrive by tomorrow. What is @sven 's address to send the bill?:D

36 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

m paying attention to sizes right now, I was able to compare the axle size of the Monster to the ACM. The Monster axle is substantially bigger than the ACM. So we know that Gotway is capable of incorporating bigger axles (and thus bigger holes for the bigger cables) in their wheels.

Yes there is no reason the axles cannot be made larger on the ACM or MSuper. . Did GW take advantage of the larger axle on the Monster and increase the wire awg? They should easily be able to pull  (3) 12 awg wires though a larger bore in the axle!

44 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Perfect! I'm on it!

5 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

No Problem. It's only a mm. ;) I just ordered the 24mm. I should be able to cancel the 25 mm.  Amazon still shows the new order will arrive by tomorrow. What is @sven 's address to send the bill?:D

Yes there is no reason the axles cannot be made larger on the ACM or MSuper. . Did GW take advantage of the larger axle on the Monster and increase the wire awg? They should easily be able to pull  (3) 12 awg wires though a larger bore in the axle!

Perfect! I'm on it!

Thanks! The Monster is opened up and just waiting now :)

When I look at the Monster axle, it looks like the hole size is the same, therefore the thickness of the axle sides is much beefier than the thin walls on the ACM axle. Maybe given the size of the Monster they wanted to maintain thicker axle walls?

Thanks again. I'll film the 'repair' process - your name will be in the credits ;)

17 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Thanks! The Monster is opened up and just waiting now :)

Quick modification on a socket I had lying around. Piece of cake.

35641170243_92b7a6abc3_b.jpg

15 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Quick modification on a socket I had lying around. Piece of cake.

35641170243_92b7a6abc3_b.jpg

Wow. That looks great.

Some day I'm going to get some metal working gear, but all I have presently is a hacksaw :(

16 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Wow. That looks great.

Some day I'm going to get some metal working gear, but all I have presently is a hacksaw :(

I used a metal cutoff wheel to put about 10 slits in the side of the socket and then translated across to knock off each of the splines. The rest was done with a die grinder. Not perfect but functional. 

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

I want to make sure of your dimensions. Are you conveying the 2 dimensions you supplied are suppose to be the finished product?

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

I want to make sure of your dimensions. Are you conveying the 2 dimensions you supplied are suppose to be the finished product?

Height

The slot height is 5/8", but that was taken from the plastic housing. Need to add the height of the nut plus maybe ~1/4" for margin. I can re-measure tonight.

Width

The width should be between 7/16" and 1/2"

10 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Height

The slot height is 5/8", but that was taken from the plastic housing. Need to add the height of the nut plus maybe ~1/4" for margin. I can re-measure tonight.

Width

K

Height

Width

Can you please take a closeup photo as well? Thanks

40 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Can you please take a closeup photo as well? Thanks

I actually already took pictures this morning before escaping to work. I'll post tonight; side-by-side photos of the ACM vs Monster axle/nut

35 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I actually already took pictures this morning before escaping to work. I'll post tonight; side-by-side photos of the ACM vs Monster axle/nut

Perfect. I ordered a 6 point socket so I hope there is enough wiggle room to position it over the nut without having to disrupt the wires to much. I should have ordered the 12 point . I will cut the slot based on your photos.

3 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Perfect. I ordered a 6 point socket so I hope there is enough wiggle room to position it over the nut without having to disrupt the wires to much. I should have ordered the 12 point . I will cut the slot based on your photos.

Good point - amazing the items requiring consideration. The 6 point socket is stronger and near impossible to round over a nut. But that places more requirements on the size of the slot. Hmmm.

First it was pics of sandals and cargo shorts.Now you're posting pics of your nuts.Don't tell @Hunka Hunka Burning Love !:D

51 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Good point - amazing the items requiring consideration. The 6 point socket is stronger and near impossible to round over a nut. But that places more requirements on the size of the slot. Hmmm.

Mine just arrived. Its a standard 45° slant offset. Pis below. It is 25mm

I hope I measured to @Hunka Hunka Burning Love 's satifaction. This is the 1st time I have posted a pic of my tool here. ???

image.jpg

23 minutes ago, Stan Onymous said:

Mine just arrived. Its a standard 45° slant offset. Pis below. It is 25mm

I hope I measured to @Hunka Hunka Burning Love 's satifaction. This is the 1st time I have posted a pic of my tool here. ???

image.jpg

That's unusable, that's a one side offset wrench, you need an oxygen sensor socket!  But I am probably wrong about that.:o

Based on my research I am going to locate the slot in the center of a flat.

36057344940_c222363c36_b.jpg

Archived