If you fell off EUC and got injured in the last few years, how are you all doing now?

Planetpapi

8 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

There are usually two potentiometers that you can adjust depending on your charger.  Here's a thread about it.

Thanks for the link, I will have to get a multimeter it seems. This will have to be adjusted, I'm not at all comfortable with overcharging the cells.

:confused1:  How do you know your charger is putting out 85V without a voltmeter?  Also, doesn't the BMS help protect the cells from overcharging?  Usually these chargers seem to vary a bit in output voltage.  I had to adjust mine a little, but if they are over by a volt or less, it probably doesn't matter?  I don't know.  Maybe @Keith can answer that?

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:confused1:  How do you know your charger is putting out 85V without a voltmeter?  Also, doesn't the BMS help protect the cells from overcharging?  Usually these chargers seem to vary a bit in output voltage.  I had to adjust mine a little, but if they are over by a volt or less, it probably doesn't matter?  I don't know.  Maybe @Keith can answer that?

The BMS specifications I've seen can only handle shunting milliamperes around the cells, they might possibly shut off charge on the input side altogether if the voltage is too high, but I wouldn't bank on it, if they don't shut off completely then the balancing is not going to be enough to hold the cells down if the voltage gets too high. I.e anything higher than 4.25V x no of serial cells is likely to be too much. However, 4.25x20=85.0V so that is the upper limit of OK. Possibly There could be a protection diode dropping 0.6V but most seem to use a MOSFET so shouldn't add a voltage drop on the input. 

4.25V/cell will will not do the long term life of the cells a whole lot of good though.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Scatcat said:

But jokes aside, I got a YZ-power charger recently, and it seems to be tuned to somewhere in the vicinity of 85V rather than 84V.

My chargers also show 85V but only when idle, i.e. not connected to the wheel. When charging they barely exceed 84V even hours after the full charge was reached. I considered the 85V hence as spurious and not relevant to take action.

Edited by Mono
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Well, I think I'll let it be for now. Going to get myself a new multimeter anyways, since my old one has gone to meet its maker, ceased to be, kicked the bucket, you get it...

But I will use the Athlon/Rockwheel charger for balance charging, and the YZ for fast charging. That way I can avoid routinely overcharging the cells.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/2/2017 at 7:19 PM, Mono said:

I didn't know there are mandatory helmet laws in the EU, can you update me? I wouldn't even be able to name a single EU country out of my head with mandatory helmet law (it turns out that only Spain has one, outside of cities when not going uphill and not in hot weather conditions).

I don't see much of a chance of mandatory helmet laws in countries where non-sport cycling is vastly popular. The top ten per capita cycling countries: Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Japan, Switzerland, Belgium, China. None has helmet requirements for adults, Sweden and Japan and Finland(?) have helmet requirements for children.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_helmet_laws_by_country#/media/File:Mandatory_bicycle_helmet_legislation.svg 
http://top10hell.com/top-10-countries-with-most-bicycles-per-capita/

Don't know if this was answered. Just stumbled upon this. Malta (EU) has such law specifically for self-balancing unicycles. Attached the legal notice provided to me. Last 2 pages are about it and related regulations
image.png.7e68ffdc7f9d8fa0905cceb5763a690d.png

SL 65.26 Low Powered Cycles inc LN 176 2015 .pdf

Edited by IPS Malta
  • Upvote 2

• 2 years later...