Jump to content

how to secure my wheels against thieves?


Noam Elad
 Share

Recommended Posts

Look at this video, and see how he uses the trolley handle near the end. With the trolley deployed, the wheel looks just like luggage.

Do you think with such an trolley handle you would ever be tempted to leave a $1000 wheel outside to weather and thieves? Wheels like to sleep inside your house, like little puppies near the foot of your bed, the wonderful smell of rubber and axle grease permeating the room.

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

Look at this video, and see how he uses the trolley handle near the end. With the trolley deployed, the wheel looks just like luggage.

Do you think with such an trolley handle you would ever be tempted to leave a $1000 wheel outside to weather and thieves? Wheels like to sleep inside your house, like little puppies near the foot of your bed, the wonderful smell of rubber and axle grease permeating the room.

 

not leaving it alone, just to prevent stuiped theifs to steal it (without any tool)

21 minutes ago, Keith said:

 

TY

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I use a small cable lock as a visual deterrent to casual would-be criminals if I need to leave my wheel somewhere briefly. Obviously any serious clippers or bolt cutters would slice right through. Here in San Francisco bike theft is a serious problem, and just about any U-lock or cable or combination can be breached pretty quickly by the right tools. I've used this lock when I've had to leave my wheel in an a highly-trafficked but only semi-secure location, like the bike rack outside the main entrance to our courthouse.

dcjqaf96wdvu5qfmf6ycRegRFRIlOGOSlmI8cAuE

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have this lock for my Brompton:

https://www.amazon.com/Abus-Bordo-GRANIT-33-46-black/dp/B005VMO49U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1498606990&sr=8-2&keywords=abus+bordo+granit+x+plus

 Insanely expensive but compact and very good. Plus the bike is worth $3k so the lock is comparatively cheap. The key is to ensure any thief can't get your lock near the ground where they can put their full body weight on any croppers attacking it. 

  It is a moot point though. The bike folds up and I take it inside with me everywhere. Never used the lock on the bike itself in over 2 years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, LanghamP said:

Don't forget having homeowners or renters insurance. I have them for my wheels and my cameras for about $50/year.

i dont know if i have this insurance in my country.

8 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

I have this lock for my Brompton:

https://www.amazon.com/Abus-Bordo-GRANIT-33-46-black/dp/B005VMO49U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1498606990&sr=8-2&keywords=abus+bordo+granit+x+plus

 Insanely expensive but compact and very good. Plus the bike is worth $3k so the lock is comparatively cheap. The key is to ensure any thief can't get your lock near the ground where they can put their full body weight on any croppers attacking it. 

  It is a moot point though. The bike folds up and I take it inside with me everywhere. Never used the lock on the bike itself in over 2 years.

 

11 hours ago, who_the said:

I use a small cable lock as a visual deterrent to casual would-be criminals if I need to leave my wheel somewhere briefly. Obviously any serious clippers or bolt cutters would slice right through. Here in San Francisco bike theft is a serious problem, and just about any U-lock or cable or combination can be breached pretty quickly by the right tools. I've used this lock when I've had to leave my wheel in an a highly-trafficked but only semi-secure location, like the bike rack outside the main entrance to our courthouse.

dcjqaf96wdvu5qfmf6ycRegRFRIlOGOSlmI8cAuE

 

11 hours ago, kasenutty said:

Hey, if you wanna lock your EUC to a pole, go for it. It's too valuable and susceptible to water damage for me to feel okay about it. 

maybe there is a lock that make alarm noises when it cut off?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 9 months later...

I blasted up to the wonderful Walmart this morning on my 18s to get some brake cleaner.  Stuck it between the wall and a stack of fertilizer just inside the garden center door by a checkout counter.  Walked away laughing to myself.

Maybe I’m nuts but my logic goes like this - I left it on and if somebody picks up a running kingsong all kinds of entertainment will start, right?

To date I’m the only single wheel I’ve seen in Raleigh.  Nobody knows what these things are.  Odds of someone knowing how to swipe it should be low.

Of course each situation and location is different and this was an in/out in under five minutes.

Just a post to remind folks that for all the mess in the world today these things kick serious awesomeness and we are fortunate to be able to ride them.  I’m thankful for beautiful weather, my 18s and the supply chain that got mine to me.

Happy Easter!

 

6B538A67-3867-4F69-8BBF-59E9B0C58716.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I guess I'm too overprotective. Till now (always) I take it in the stores with me, unless it's in my car. To date, I've never been turned away.

But in terms of electronic deterrents, the early models of Inmotion's, with their apps, came with a "lock" feature. I wonder why they, or no other euc manufacturer or app developer does this anymore?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/31/2018 at 11:26 AM, Coffee guy said:

I guess I'm too overprotective. Till now (always) I take it in the stores with me, unless it's in my car. To date, I've never been turned away.

But in terms of electronic deterrents, the early models of Inmotion's, with their apps, came with a "lock" feature. I wonder why they, or no other euc manufacturer or app developer does this anymore?

I thought all the good ones had that feature?  :huh:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Coffee guy said:

I don't know any that do. Maybe there are people with those that can chime in? I'd very much like to know.  :smartass:

Both my ninebot one E+ and S1 have a lock feature in the app.  From what I have read, the minipro style two wheelers also have a lock.

When locked, if the power button is turned on, the wheel shakes and beeps and is unrideable.

It can still be stolen, but prevents someone from riding away with it.

Update  Just checked it and found out that if the wheel is locked in the app, and the app is turned off, the wheel is locked in a different way.  The power button is turned off, and the wheel appears dead.  It won't turn on.  Thanks ninebot!  :clap3: :thumbup:  And thanks @Coffee guy  :cheers:

Edited by steve454
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A lock function is great but people can still just pick up your wheel and walk off with it. What is needed to supplement the lock is a low power alarm mode. Most wheels have all the hardware needed to implement this...gyros, accelerometers, loud speakers, lights that can flash when armed. The second the roll or tilt of the wheel changes it can shreak like hell. This would be a great feature to deter unwanted interest. 

Hey, @Bobwheel! I'd love to see this functionality on Inmotion products!

Edited by WARPed1701D
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 31.3.2018 at 6:26 PM, Coffee guy said:

I guess I'm too overprotective. Till now (always) I take it in the stores with me, unless it's in my car. To date, I've never been turned away.

But in terms of electronic deterrents, the early models of Inmotion's, with their apps, came with a "lock" feature. I wonder why they, or no other euc manufacturer or app developer does this anymore?

KS also has a lock feature on their new app....even one that you CAN secure by a password if you want so...

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

A lock function is great but people can still just pick up your wheel and walk off with it

 

Not with this work of art. Probably not legal in the US but either is stealing your wheel.   :innocent1:

40367326495_3e297e46a7_b.jpg

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As these things are basically a big box of batteries you could always build in some form of electric fence energiser unit. You'd then need a remote key fob to turn it on and off and some aluminium on the handle. As long as the thief isn't wearing rubber soled shoes your wheel will be safe. Probably totally illegal as well but you won't need a bike lock.... 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...