EUC/ ACM Test Rig Failure

Rehab1

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

Unfortunately the test rig failed on the second run. The treadmill belt melted directly to the end rollers and the sheet metal base. There was simply too much friction on the belt when I was riding the ACM. I had a feeling this would happen.

When the belt froze up the ACM torqued CCW and ripped the bearings out of the pillow blocks! This I was not expecting!

I will still be able to record temperature data while riding on the road but the adverse conditions I was going to subject the ACM to,  such as going up slopes at high speeds and hitting simulated bumps, unfortunately will not happen. It was fun while it lasted! :crying:

Oh man, that sucks. You were so close and it looked really cool with you riding it. I'm sure it would be possible to beef everything up, but at what expense? I should have known this but for some reason I thought this was a powered treadmill - duh! I think only a powered treadmill would survive the wheel riding on it.

Very cool experiment and I continue to be impressed with the effort that you put into these things :cheers:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder instead of using a treadmill whether having some metal conveyor rollers attached to a small elevated frame would be better to ride on.  You would have to figure out how to increase the rolling resistance to simulate hill climbs. Introducing simulated bumps would be a trick though unless you can ride laterally onto a bump afixed to the roller?

Back together again! @Jason McNeil you can have this job!:) I can't imagine you doing this to all of the new wheels! 

Ok I found out the right channel of the temperature data logger is for the probe place next to the 3 motor wires with the bullet connectors. I placed an ice pack over the probe and watched the temperature drop and then I used a heat gun at the same location and watched the temperature rise. God research is fun!

I also took @Xima Lhotz's suggestion but instead of removing all of the extra shrink wrap from the wires to improve the accuracy of the temperature probe I decided to wrap each probe with a Mylar space age type material that holds in heat. Time to test the probes on the road.

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I wonder instead of using a treadmill whether having some metal conveyor rollers attached to a small elevated frame would be better to ride on.  You would have to figure out how to increase the rolling resistance to simulate hill climbs. Introducing simulated bumps would be a trick though unless you can ride laterally onto a bump afixed to the roller?

Thanks! Yes I thought of that. Conveyors unfortunately are expensive. Honestly I am just tired of building the rig and doing the mods. I have not ridden the ACM for more than 1 mile since owning it. After all of these months of work I need to move on.

The temperature probes will give me some quantifiable data. If I lived in LA like  @Marty Backe I could really test it out. Around here the area is mostly flat. 

1 hour ago, eddiemoy said:

I was actually thinking of a test rig too, but with something like this...  But I was going to use conveyor rollers...  LOL

Yes that is a very awesome, expensive rig. I say go for it! :clap3:

I went for a short 10 minute ride up and down the parking lot. Being I still have the old ACM firmware I did not want to push it too hard as the parking lot is bumpy in some areas.

The purple line on the graph is for the probe installed at the bullet connector site and the black line is for the probe located where motor wires emerge from the axle.

There is a slight divergence of the lines on the graph towards the end of my ride. Once I get the new updated board I will gear up and push the wheel more.

It is first time an Inmotion has failed me. Not my wheel, but the treadmill. I began disassembling the test rig and came across the treadmill  instructions. It is an INMOTION brand.:P

59 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

It is first time an Inmotion has failed me. Not my wheel, but the treadmill. I began disassembling the test rig and came across the treadmill  instructions. It is an INMOTION brand.:P

That's hilarious :D

58 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

That's hilarious :D

I actually like the name for their next model (if it ever happens). Introducing the INMOTION T900! :)

Now that the test rig is completely disassembled I was able to examine the treadmill belt closer. It was totally destroyed by my ACM.

N4GFqAq.jpg

was thinking something like this, two of them mounted 6-8 inch apart, depending on the wheel size?  I couldn't find anything larger than 2.5" rollers.

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Roller-Dia-2-5-BF/dp/B007IAZKQY/ref=sr_1_65?ie=UTF8&qid=1499354351&sr=8-65&keywords=2.5"+conveyor+roller

59 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

was thinking something like this, two of them mounted 6-8 inch apart, depending on the wheel size?  I couldn't find anything larger than 2.5" rollers.

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Roller-Dia-2-5-BF/dp/B007IAZKQY/ref=sr_1_65?ie=UTF8&qid=1499354351&sr=8-65&keywords=2.5"+conveyor+roller

A 2 1/2" roller would be turning very rapidly. Are you considering riding the wheel while on the rollers?

On the spark when you plug the kingsong in...

That is really annoying.

I don't have a keyboard now.  I can explain better/more when I get home. But you can eliminate the spark by using a resistor to charge the cap before plugging the connector. It's not good on the connector to have those arcs.

A better design would provide a way to pre-charge the cap through a resistor before just dumping a discharged capacitor across the power supply like a battery!

8 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

A 2 1/2" roller would be turning very rapidly. Are you considering riding the wheel while on the rollers?

no, wasn't going to ride it, was still researching how to build one.  lol

Archived