My new MSuper V3s+ and Gotway Screwed Us

8 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Since the boards are coated in silicone, I wonder if you took made a distilled water bath and gently scrubbed off all the debris with a soft nylon brush (toothbrush would work) whether the board might still have some life to it.  It shouldn't corrode that quickly making me think that it could be surface crud more than anything.  Is there any voltage from the battery?

I may take a closer look. I just do not see how any of the wheel's electrical components could survive an hour under water. 

12 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

On a side note it's cool that they have screwed on motor wiring with connectors rather than soldering directly to the board.  I take it those blue connectors with the screws are motor wiring?

Interestingly you have looked at the connectors and board closer than I have. Once I popped off the side cover I just left the room!

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Oops yeah you're at work and didn't yet see Hunka's picture yet too:D

Would be nice to know your batch, because it's outside of what GW initially said was affected (at least shipping date wise) so maybe something new to learn from it.

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

So that's earlier than the known affected batches (1703, 1704, 1705). Are there 1701 and 1702 batches to worry about? Do these numbers mean anything? I don't suppose they are date related (look a bit like dates) because my 1609 is from April 2017 so "September 2016" (1609) can hardly be a date...

Maybe 17xx is msuper V3 and 16xx is ACM? I'm stupid.

14 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

So that's earlier than the known affected batches (1703, 1704, 1705). Are there 1701 and 1702 batches to worry about? Do these numbers mean anything? I don't suppose they are date related (look a bit like dates) because my 1609 is from April 2017 so "September 2016" (1609) can hardly be a date...

Maybe 17xx is msuper V3 and 16xx is ACM?

I would think the manufacture date would be more meaningful. However, when Jason showed my video to Gotway, they specifically asked for my motor code. So it would appear, it is the key identifier for the affected units.

On 6/22/2017 at 7:34 PM, Marty Backe said:

Gotway has already acknowledged that there's a problem with firmware so I don't think we need to wonder about the cause.

That's weird! If they know there's a problem with the firmware, and they know WHAT the problem with the firmware is, HOW WERE WHEELS SHIPPED OUT WITH THIS FIRMWARE??

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Ug. I can never see @Hunka Hunka Burning Love's pictures at work (he must host them on some pirate website). Look forward to his artwork when I get home.

Hey, if someone wants to send me a current KingSong I'll ride it in the mountains and review the heck out of it :D  I do like KingSong, but I've bought 7 new wheels in the last 11 months. At some point you just have to stop :crying:

LOL holy cow, I knew you ran though them, but not that fast!  That's really something.  

21 minutes ago, Dingfelder said:

LOL holy cow, I knew you ran though them, but not that fast!  That's really something.  

Starting with my first wheel (ACM) in August of last year, I've bought 3 ACMS, 2 MSupers, 1 Monster, and 1 KS14C. Oh, I also bought one of those cheapo generic 14" wheels. So that's 8 actually.  I really do need to get some more KingSong wheels to round things out :D

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

I may take a closer look. I just do not see how any of the wheel's electrical components could survive an hour under water. 

Interestingly you have looked at the connectors and board closer than I have. Once I popped off the side cover I just left the room!

As long as no power most likely ok. 

25 minutes ago, MaxLinux said:

That's weird! If they know there's a problem with the firmware, and they know WHAT the problem with the firmware is, HOW WERE WHEELS SHIPPED OUT WITH THIS FIRMWARE??

Only Gotway knows the real sequence, but I suspect that they were shipping wheels with the new firmware for about a month before they learned of the problem. Not really strange. Just like cars get shipped to customers and then 1 year later they discover a problem and have a 500,000 car recall.

The controversy with Gotway is they may have learned about the problem and continued shipping affected wheels for a couple of more weeks before my episode finally put the nail in the coffin, so to speak. When they may have first heard inklings of problems in the field they probably didn't believe it. Took many more reports to convince them. Meanwhile they continued shipping wheels.

2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Starting with my first wheel (ACM) in August of last year, I've bought 3 ACMS, 2 MSupers, 1 Monster, and 1 KS14C. Oh, I also bought one of those cheapo generic 14" wheels. So that's 8 actually.  I really do need to get some more KingSong wheels to round things out :D

It must be fun having a stable of wheels like that.  I'll say that ordering the MSuper never diminished my curiousity about riding most any other wheel out there.  I'd still really like to try the KS18, as always, and the KS16s sound great too.  Well, so do most of the other wheels, but lots of them just for a lark and curiosity, because either they can't handle my weight plus my hills, or don't have range, etc.  

I used to love riding bicycles, but didn't have that sort of curiosity about bikes.  I was more than happy enough to ride mine and only wanted to tinker with and improve mine.  There's something so exotic about unicycles, though, that I can see how people regularly buy more than one.  They're such unusual machines that they spark continuous curiosity.

1 hour ago, Carlos E Rodriguez said:

Put a sensor right on the bullet connectors

Yes that is my intention along with installing the other probe directly on the bank of Mosfets. It is a nicely constructed little device that should serve the purpose well for collecting accurate temperature data from the 2 sources .

On 6/22/2017 at 7:36 PM, steve454 said:

BTW, at my skill level, I could probably ride the MSuper and never have a problem.  10 MPH is my max comfortable riding speed

Unless you hit a bump!

1 hour ago, Dingfelder said:

It must be fun having a stable of wheels like that.  I'll say that ordering the MSuper never diminished my curiousity about riding most any other wheel out there.  I'd still really like to try the KS18, as always, and the KS16s sound great too.  Well, so do most of the other wheels, but lots of them just for a lark and curiosity, because either they can't handle my weight plus my hills, or don't have range, etc.  

I used to love riding bicycles, but didn't have that sort of curiosity about bikes.  I was more than happy enough to ride mine and only wanted to tinker with and improve mine.  There's something so exotic about unicycles, though, that I can see how people regularly buy more than one.  They're such unusual machines that they spark continuous curiosity.

Keep in mind that I sold the ACM's and MSuper to upgrade. I only have one of each right now.

An advantage to participating in group rides is the ability to try different wheels. Let's see if I can list everything I've ridden in the past year:

• Monster
  • ACM V2 and its variants
  • MSuper V3 and its variants
  • MSuper V2
  • MCM4
  • Ninebot
  • V8
  • KS14
  • KS16
  • KS18
  • IPS Lhotz
  • Various cheapo 14" generics

6 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

You know it, Steven.  :efee6b18f3:

I'm waiting for them to release Marty V2.0 for EUC testing purposes.

809172_testrobot2.jpg

@Hunka Hunka Burning Love, that is perfect and hilarious. You even put my shoes in there :D  Maybe I should send that to Gotway - I'm coming after them if they don't fix my wheel! I'm going to post this to Facebook and see what reaction I get :laughbounce2:   My wife got a kick out of it too. You're killing me :-)

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

My motor code is 1610 also.  No misbehavior observed so far, but haven't exceeded 22 mph.

1 hour ago, n2eus said:

My motor code is 1610 also.  No misbehavior observed so far, but haven't exceeded 22 mph.

It has very little to do with speed, but more to do with sudden demands for more current, like sudden transitions. Good luck.

4 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Buy a OneWheel+, I really want to try one and I have you have enough one wheeled device experience I would trust your opinion on it.

7 hours ago, Jeff_Nelson said:

motor code for my ACM is 160905041, does that fall within the batch? Can't find the QC date.

I'm affected and my motor code start with 1608. Marty motor code start with 1610.

In your case, I wouldn't drive the wheel above 4 mph until we have a clear feedback about this issue

Better safe than sorry.

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

It has very little to do with speed, but more to do with sudden demands for more current, like sudden transitions. Good luck.

One of the major reasons I got a big wheel in the first place.  Let's hope they iron that out.

On 6/22/2017 at 9:17 PM, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

inform him to ride it cautiously if he wants or wait for a replacement control board), and verify the components of the wheel in question myself before embarking on a nation-wide control board replacement program.

Are you saying you think a hardware issue might be the source of the problem?

Archived