V5F+ or V8. Help me decide.

WARPed1701D

My charger from Jason came a good while later too.  He did stick a roll of tape in the box, but at the bottom of the box so it got smushed by the weight of the wheel, so you're at least a bit better off for having it shipped separately.   I wrote him an email asking where it was and he didn't respond, but about a week later I got a Fedex notification that the package was in the mail.

I did get impatient and ordered a couple rolls of foam tape from Amazon, though, when one wasn't enough and the other one hadn't arrived yet.

Glad you're liking your wheel!  That's probably what I would have bought if I had been more confident it could handle my weight up and down hills safely and for good distances.  It looks like an amazing wheel.

• Upvote 1

I didn't bother wrapping my V8 in all that foam tape because I know I wouldn't be bothered about trying to remove the sticky residue when I didn't need it anymore. 

Yes I have a couple of dings and scratches on the outer shell and pedals because of the learning process and a few odd spills, but it can be buffed out. 

I figured I was going to face up to the fact I wouldn't be able to keep it scratch-free for its lifespan even if I were very proficient at riding it.  

Scratches give it character :)

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

Woohoo! Finally. It has arrived! Delivered quite late in the day and I only just got chance to open it.

Initial observations:

• Looks even better in real life. The default blue rotating LEDs are not as offensive as I expected (I'm sure some other patterns are)
  • Lighter than expected. I had been stressing about excessive weight but the balanced and thin form factor and nice handle make carrying effortless.
  • I can see big advantages to the kill switch under the carry handle. This should be standard on all EUC's of carryable weight IMO.
  • I have the 2.15 Kenda tire. Inmotion promised @Jason McNeil these would ship with the 1.95 tire to avoid the scraping issues reported by existing users. I see no sign of scraping at the moment. Infact there are several millimeters of clearance in the problem area but I have not checked the tire pressure yet which could blow it out to the point of contact.
  • Kenda tires stink!
  • I may be wrong but I believe the directional tire is mounted in the wrong direction. This is a bit of a bummer as wet weather traction is a big deal in FL but I will look again tomorrow when it isn't so late. Again, I may be wrong.
  • Integrated trolley handle is an awesome idea. I've only wheeled it around my lining room but there is no doubt this is (like the kill switch) will be invaluable for going about commuting, shopping, etc with the wheel.
  • My Charge Doctor and protective foam tape were omitted from the package. :( I've emailed Jason to see where they are. As I'm a new rider I really wanted to put the foam tape up and over the carry handle before I rode it. This is where the official Inmotion cover doesn't reach. Might have to go to the auto store for some of @Rehab1s protective bumper stripping.
  • The 2.5A eWheels fast charger is smaller and lighter than expected. This is great as I expect to occasionally carry it with me for a quick "coffee shop" boost on rare extended range journeys. 
  • I am major bummed that SoloWheel has ruined this wheel for the USA. It looks like it was perfect at the old Inmotion price point. To Shane Chen I say this... May the flees of a thousand camels infest you arse!

More observations once I get chance. Alas. Now it is bed time for dreams of one wheeled freedom.

WP_20170717_23_05_04_Pro.jpg

WP_20170717_23_22_18_Pro.jpg

Congrats!

Remember to keep your wheel around 40-45 when learning. It makes the learning process significantly quicker.

Of course you could always test for scrape by briefly turning it up to 50-57,  but it makes riding. very hard in the early days.

Enjoy!

• Upvote 1

Our of reps but thank you all for your comments.

Jason already responded and I have shipping notifications for both missing items.   The CD is not urgent of course. It'll take me days to drain a charge while learning. I do have the Inmotion protective cover for the bulk of the body so maybe I just won't end up using the padding at all.

I've already got 6' of 3M 4"wide helicopter tape to apply to the underside of the pedals. Also another 8' of 2" tape. I might try this over the handle instead.

I'll report back regarding scrape once I've pumped up the tire. I'll also post a picture for confirmation about the wrong tire direction.  If I'm right then that will be my only disappointment so far as correcting it will be a lot of work on a new wheel.

I received my V8 from eWheels/Jason yesterday.  

Mine also came with the wider wheel which I actually prefer, and yes, it does make a scraping noise at some points in the ride.

Jason has superb service and recommend his establishment highly. He included some vinyl protective tape cut to fit the shell.

I ordered a standard padded cover for the V8 this morning because it will get scratched up without it.

Nice wheel.  Very nimble and maneuverable.  I have become accustomed to the stable heavy feel of the Msuper, in comparison, so the V8 feels super light and ready to carve.

17 minutes ago, Pard said:

I received my V8 from eWheels/Jason yesterday.  

Mine also came with the wider wheel which I actually prefer, and yes, it does make a scraping noise at some points in the ride.

Jason has superb service and recommend his establishment highly. He included some vinyl protective tape cut to fit the shell.

I ordered a standard padded cover for the V8 this morning because it will get scratched up without it.

Nice wheel.  Very nimble and maneuverable.  I have become accustomed to the stable heavy feel of the Msuper, in comparison, so the V8 feels super light and ready to carve.

Congrats on the new wheel! I agree that on paper (I've no experience) the wider wheel seems preferable from a traction and handling point of view. I guess the scaping is something I'll have to weigh up if I suffer it.

I also got the vinyl cutouts but they were crushed at one end due to the fast charger being in the same box so I'll probably not use them, especially as I have the Helicopter Tape and the padded protective cover. The vinyl cutouts were an unexpected freebee so no complaints. Incidently, the helicopter tape can be purchased in 5" wide strips which would be perfect for covering the underside of the footplate in a single strip but the only 5" options on eBay were grey rather than clear so I got the 4" one instead as an interim measure. If I see the 5" come available I'll pick a few feet up to redo the plates without a join (weak spot).

Tonight was the first night I got to try riding the wheel properly. Started on grass which in Florida is like a 3 inch deep dense carpet. Not helpful. Did this for maybe 10 minutes with my wife stabilizing me as I went back and forth. Eventually I moved to concrete paths in my apartment complex. I wasn't too stressed about dropping it on concrete as the wheel has the proper padded Inmotion cover fitted. I've also used ultra thick helicopter tape on the pedals and even put a t-shirt on it to protect the handle on top which protrudes out of the official cover. All that plus a tether tucked in my pocket that I grabbed when I fell.

Again my wife walked/jogged along side me while I got a feel for things until I was ready to let go. By the end of the 45 minute session I was generally getting at least 20 feet before stepping off and several times she estimates i got around 50 feet. She also said I look like I'm gliding along having some kind of fit as my arms are flailing everywhere. I still can't mount without a support (the wife) and dismounting is basically me stepping off as I loose balance. Certainly nothing controlled or graceful. But it is more progress than I expected and a huge amount of fun!

What is strange is my wife was the one jogging beside me yet I was the one sweating buckets! :efee96588e:

Now to sleep on it and build some new pathways in the old noggin ready for tomorrows session! :thumbup:

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

She also said I look like I'm gliding along having some kind of fit as my arms are flailing everywhere. I still can't mount without a support (the wife) and dismounting is basically me stepping off as I loose balance. Certainly nothing controlled or graceful. But it is more progress than I expected and a huge amount of fun!

:lol: The arm flailing sounds very familiar!  That will eventually stop believe it or not.  It's weird how your body learns to shift the balance point over time.  I still use my arms if I need to, but when you're cruising at speed it's pretty relaxed.  You need a large enough area (think large flat parking lot with no obstacles or basketball court) to practice circling.  When you've ridden for a while it's like you're standing on a very stable platform that you just ease side to side with your foot pressure/centre of balance.  Initially your brain tells you that you need to balance in the forwards and backwards direction, but in reality the wheel does that for you so you just need to concentrate on the side to side so you have to override your natural balance tendency.

That probably doesn't help, but it sounds like you are getting there!  It took me ages and ages as overcoming the crashing fear was difficult for me.  I'm outta rep, but here's two thumbs up!  :thumbup:

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Upvote 2

Regarding the topic V5F+ vs V8, I would say the V8 is always better. This is not a hard choice at all :)

First, V8 is 16", while V5F+ is 14", but it's as big as some 16" wheels. Second: the built-in handle is the selling point. It is simply more convenient and better than an additional accessory handle for V5. The spec of the V8 is also better, and it's pretty cheap for what it offers.

People only buy the V5x to decide they want the V8 instead :D

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Justina said:

Regarding the topic V5F+ vs V8, I would say the V8 is always better. This is not a hard choice at all :)

First, V8 is 16", while V5F+ is 14", but it's as big as some 16" wheels. Second: the built-in handle is the selling point. It is simply more convenient and better than an additional accessory handle for V5. The spec of the V8 is also better, and it's pretty cheap for what it offers.

People only buy the V5x to decide they want the V8 instead :D

It really is a good price for that wheel.

On 7/18/2017 at 0:04 AM, WARPed1701D said:

Woohoo! Finally. It has arrived! Might have to go to the auto store for some of @Rehab1s protective bumper stripping.

WP_20170717_23_05_04_Pro.jpg

WP_20170717_23_22_18_Pro.jpg

Congratulations! You will love it. Yes I would definately protect it. It is too beautiful! Here are some photos of my protective molding I took this morning. It is easy to replace without having sticky residue to deal with. Plus it is aesthetically pleasing. 

Roll the V8 around on carpeting to evaluate the contact points for the best placement for the molding. 

3wWg2sx.jpg

hodjed0.jpg

Edited by Rehab1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Justina said:

I have both the V5F+ and V8. I like riding the V5F+ for it's nimbleness and maneuverability on smooth surfaces and the V8 for riding longer distances and on bumpy trails. They each have their pluses. 

Edited by Rehab1

My 1st wheel was the V5F and I learned on it.. Now riding a V8.. For the most part, I agree the V8 is more comfortable than the V5F (more gradual tiltback, higher max speed, more range, comparable weight/size).. however, I really do miss the V5F trolley handle and how V5F can execute sharper stops..

I credit much of my learning confidence (and thus speed) to the V5F sharp stop response.. nothing assured the then-beginner-me more than knowing i could stop anytime I want to..

Instead of learning how to go forward first, my first priority is to learn how to brake.. i was holding onto a railing and just doing stationary front-back rocking movements with my hips (i think its bad for the wheel to do this for extended periods of time).. hard to explain this, but i practiced the stop motion picturing a long jump athlete just about to hit the sand pit (hips thrown back)..

Once I'm confident i can stop whenever, then its just a matter of bravely attempting to stay as long as i could on the wheel, before having to execute the familiar stop (hips throw back).. Contrary to common practice, i had the best learning experience in a long narrow corridor.. i could support on the walls anytime i want throughout my entire straight line path, without a learning assistant.. with practice, soon i was able to hit the ends of the corridor without touching walls..

After i switched to the V8, the stop response was the most pronounced to me.. had to spend awhile to get familiarize with it, before feeling confident to hit the roads with it.. i can see how a beginner could have difficulty stopping on it.. 

On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 6:48 PM, Rehab1 said:

V8 is protected! It took longer than the V5F+ due to the intricate contours and lines. To start with I rolled the wheel around on a padded surface to view all of the contact points that might become scratched if I dropped the wheel. I then applied  3/8 " wheel well molding on 90% of the shell . I then used some  3/4" carbon style molding across the top handle regions and then staggered 2 shorter pieces over the bottom surface of each foot pedal. Then came the comfort aspect while still providing protection to the upper calf portion of the shell. 3/8" molding was to uncomfortable on the inside of my shins since it stuck out to far. I decided to add 2 strips of the 3/4" carbon molding that was spaced far enough apart so my legs would fit comfortably between the molding strips. The ankle pads that came with the V8 are not really necessary as stated by @HEC in his excellent review so I decided to integrate them into the design by fastening them directly below the 3/4" carbon molding just to finish off the bottom of the strips.  I then capped off the top of the carbon strips with a thin 1/8" red molding strip. I did not have black in 1/4" as I would have preferred.  I plan to change out the red for black next week when it arrives. In any event it is protected. There are many versions of protective auto moldings on the market. Trial and error/ mixing and matching can become expensive. Most of the protective molding I used was from the V5F + project. The V8 is more difficult trying to follow all of the contours and still have the molding lye flat.

I'm looking forward to seeing other V8 protective techniques in the future.

UPDATE: here is where I purchased my molding: 

Below is the site I purchased the molding. You may be able to order from Amazon as well. 

http://cowlesproducts.com/protektotrim/fender-trim/

The black 3/8" molding is product # 37-631

The 1/4" red is product #  37-525

http://cowlesproducts.com/oldcontent/wp/protektotrim/color-molding/

IMG_3714.jpg

IMG_3715.jpg

IMG_3716.jpg

IMG_3717.jpg

5 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Congratulations! You will love it. Yes I would definately protect it. It is too beautiful! Here are some photos of my protective molding I took this morning. It is easy to replace without having sticky residue to deal with. Plus it is aesthetically pleasing. 

Roll the V8 around on carpeting to evaluate the contact points for the best placement for the molding. 

3wWg2sx.jpg

hodjed0.jpg

Hey @Rehab1! When I was researching buying the V8 I found and bookmarked your original description of how you protected your wheel (quoted). 

Looking at the supplier page did you use part number 37-200 for the carbon fibre molding as that part number isn't given? It looks much lower profile than the 3/8 black you used but maybe the additional width just gives that appearance.

Have you found that the locations you plased the molding have provided adequate protection? Any places you wish you had placed some? I know you had some issues maintaing shape around the curves. Has it stayed adhered to the body over time?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, WARPed1701D said:

Hey @Rehab1! When I was researching buying the V8 I found and bookmarked your original description of how you protected your wheel (quoted). 

Looking at the supplier page did you use part number 37-200 for the carbon fibre molding as that part number isn't given? It looks much lower profile than the 3/8 black you used but maybe the additional width just gives that appearance.

Have you found that the locations you plased the molding have provided adequate protection? Any places you wish you had placed some? I know you had some issues maintaing shape around the curves. Has it stayed adhered to the body over time?

I believe the carbon fiber is 1/4" thick and the half round molding has a 3/8" profile. When contouring around the pedals I did use a heat gun to soften the material. Also use denatured alcohol or other cleaning agent to remove any wax in the vicinity you apply the molding. 

Currently the locations were  I have applied the molding are working perfectly. I have replaced the molding on the side and underneath the pedals a few times from scraping but it is very easy repair.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Paddylaz said:

With the exception of tricks, this is almost universally the last thing people learn to be able to do 100% of the time.

I.e. faultless mounting, unaided by person or pillar.

I knew I was getting 'good' (at least by my standards) when I could effortlessly mount even with a couple of beers in my system. Before that, there was a LONG period where I could ride perfectly well, but needed something to hold onto for that initial mount.

Sounds like you're having fun!

This also describes my experience.  Several months into my EUC adventure, I can now get on and off reliably with no support.  But there was a long stretch there when I felt competent enough on a moving wheel but frequently fumbled the mount/dismount sequence.  

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

I believe the carbon fiber is 1/4" thick and the half round molding has a 3/8" profile. When contouring around the pedals I did use a heat gun to soften the material. Also use denatured alcohol or other cleaning agent to remove any wax in the vicinity you apply the molding. 

Currently the locations were  I have applied the molding are working perfectly. I have replaced the molding on the side and underneath the pedals a few times from scraping but it is very easy repair.

Great thanks.

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Nicely done!  Soon you will be able to engage Warp 10 and cruise on impulse powah!  Make it so!  :clap3:

cbs1207_2.jpg

Ha ha. Indeed. Well done for working out the forum name.:thumbup:

But you have contradicted yourself. Impulse engines are sub light and the warp are faster than light. Also the Warp scale is exponential. Warp 10 would technically be infinitely fast so you would exist in every place of the universe simultaneously. I can send you my Technical Manual of the Enterprise D if you like. It's a fun read. No seriously, it is! ;)

Edited by WARPed1701D
  • Upvote 1

Maybe I was just testing you to see if you knew that.  Hmmmm... 357925_garysmiley.jpg and how do you know that I don't already have the manual?  :innocent1:

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/blueprints-main2.php

Like putty in my hands...

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Upvote 3

57 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Maybe I was just testing you to see if you knew that.  Hmmmm... 357925_garysmiley.jpg and how do you know that I don't already have the manual?  :innocent1:

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/blueprints-main2.php

Like putty in my hands...

That is a cool website. Thanks for sharing.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

I have both the V5F+ and V8. I like riding the V5F+ for it's nimbleness and maneuverability on smooth surfaces and the V8 for riding longer distances and on bumpy trails. They each have their pluses. 

I agree: they both have some advantages over the other - the V5F+ is more agile and even doing good on small bumps.

It is always better to have two different wheels and choose the right one for the task, but if you have to choose only one of them, the V8 is an all-purpose wheel, which is a better choice for most people. Doing tight turns on the V8 is a bit harder due to its pedals height and overall dimensions, but definitely possible after some practice, which then become a habit. On the other hand, people seem to learn the basics faster on the V8 than on more agile wheels.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

Day 2. Just had another 30 minutes at it. Can now routinely get to the end of my apartment parking lot. Maybe 200-250 feet. A few times I successfully made medium sized turns at each end. Longest ride about 600 feet. I took some video by holding my phone but many false starts so not sure I'll bother trying to post it.

Good job, buddy.  Slow and steady wins the race.  20-30 minutes a day is pretty much all your neuromuscular system can adapt to at this stage of things.  Ride a bit, then sleep on it.  Rinse and repeat.  Do that for a little while longer, and you'll be feeling like you are in charge of the wheel rather than the other way around in no time.  

• Upvote 2