V5F+ or V8. Help me decide.

WARPed1701D

Congratulations on your decision to buy the V8, it would be a great first wheel. I got one recently but mine had the tyre issue really bad and due to the scraping my mileage was low also. You won't have that problem buying fron Jason as I can see his onto the issue.

I was advised to take my tyre off and reinstall it again and to be honest now I can pump it up to 40 psi with hardly any scrape. My seller is looking for a new tyre for so I am good with that. I didn't want to send it back would cost me too much my seller was trying his best and I accept it wasn't his fault. Had an issue with on/off button when it rained but now it's ok.

For a starter wheel I would highly recommend it, easy to ride, high clearance no pedal scraping, omg the handle works so well, very nimble amd of course the light show.

• Upvote 2

Ok. One last thing to you all...

So...if you were me and your insanely awesome wife cleared you to get a wheel AND a KS 16S was maybe just within the allowed budget.... Would you consider it over a V8 (remembering my original criteria)? 

:D

The third post in this thread by meepmeepmayer appears  to have been spot on.

Weight of the KS bothers me, as does the lack of a cut out switch under the handle and the "Hello Kingsong" greeting.

Edited by WARPed1701D

Thanks for that great reply Goodman.

I messaged Jason and it would appear that due to the GotWay recall everyone has switched their orders to the KS 16S and all of his next shipment is spoken for. :( I've asked what the chances of cancellations are but I'm not hopeful. Anyone regretting their order or want to wait till the next shipment? I might take it of your hands for you. :innocent1:

The extra range was the main attraction to the KS. But I don't think I want to wait 4 to 5 weeks for the next shipment to her started one wheeling. I was plenty happy with my V8 decision when I thought that was all I could afford.

Edited by WARPed1701D
  • Upvote 1

I Know the feeling of having to wait, I hate waiting also but I truly think it is well worth the wait. My biggest regret was not wanting to wait, my first wheel was the Ninebot One E+ why because it was the one I could pick up on the day I wanted to buy, there was nothing else around that I could get straight way. If I could turn back time I would have waited time flies so fast.

8 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

But the V8 really isn't a huge compromise... Is it? I was stoked about my V8 decision until I found out I could spend more!

At the start no but once you get going it's all about the Range, you might not think so but trust me it will come back and bite you later.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

The third post in this thread by meepmeepmayer appears  to have been spot on.

Naturally:D

First of all, good that you are definitely no longer in any danger of buying a Slowbot... I mean Ninebot. From now on, it's between good choices:)

I think in doubt, go for the bigger wheel. For the battery (840[828] Wh vs 480 Wh is over 70% more), and don't underestimate 1200W vs 800W motor power. I would say 1000W is about the boundary between "has its limits/good for certain things" and "no brainer/good for everything". Of course 800W isn't exactly bad (and I may be exaggerating, I don't know after all).

Especially if you will have the wheel for a long time, I think going for the stronger/better one makes sense. As @Goodman said, if you had both and could only keep one, it would more likely be the 16S.

Of course you have to think if the extra money is worth it to you. Also don't forget costs for safety gear for you (helmet, wrist guards, maybe knee and ellbow guards) and the wheel (foam padding) and other stuff (lights) and maybe shipping to the dealer if something goes wrong/a replacement part is needed. So a liiiiiittle buffer should be there to prevent unnecessary stress.

Only strong reason for the V8 besides price is if your specific commute would benefit greatly from the shut off button. So if there's a series of obstacles where it would really make a difference to lift the wheel but not switch it off, that button has its definitve use. Otherwise a shame you don't have one, but if you don't really need it...

As for waiting, I know from experience how incredibly hard it is to wait for a wheel when you really want one NOW!!!! (be it you just learned about them, or just ordered one and are waiting for it to arrive). I think 6 weeks is both crazy long torture as well as worth the wait to get the "right" wheel, which for me is the 16S, as it seems it will be your only wheel for some time (who knows;)).

Imho in these videos (by @Lukasz) the 16S makes a good impression. Maybe it helps you:

57 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

I messaged Jason and it would appear that due to the GotWay recall everyone has switched their orders to the KS 16S and all of his next shipment is spoken for.

That's very interesting to hear.

• Upvote 2

You can wait.  I've waited months for my MSuper V3 and now with the recall I have to wait longer  It's frustrating but manageable.  Life goes on.

In general, I find it's harder to regret buying what you really want than getting something not quite as good as you want.  If nothing else, sooner or later you do have that extra money that you wish you would have put toward a better item.  Unless things are going badly for you -- in which case you shouldn't be buying anything at all -- it's just a matter of time for you to get more money or replace the cash missing from a moderate amount of overspending.  Of course if you overspend all the time instead of once in a rare while .... then just forget what I said there. :D   No point opening Pandora's box.

One thing that you can use to justify spending on a more powerful wheel -- and it's not cheating because it's a legit idea -- is that more power gives you a bigger safety margin.  And safety is easily as important as any other issue you will confront when buying or using a wheel.  If you go over a big obstacle or suddenly hit an incline, say ... you may be very happy to have the extra power to keep your wheel doing what it's supposed to be doing.

• Upvote 3

Congratulations! Fast charger is a good idea for a battery/cost compromise. Fast delivery is a nice bonus:D

Also, if you get your wife to ride too that's a great excuse for a second wheel at some later time, so who knows;)

Would be nice to hear your impressions right when you get it and start learning. In the first few minutes, often non-obvious things come up that you forget about very quickly but that are worth noting.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Would be nice to hear your impressions right when you get it and start learning. In the first few minutes, often non-obvious things come up that you forget about very quickly but that are worth noting.

I'll be sure to share them on here from my novice perspective. I'm thinking of doing a video too to catalog my learning journey. Never posted videos before. A bit of an introvert. But we will see.

1 hour ago, WARPed1701D said:

and.....BANG! 

Trigger pulled. Order just completed through eWheels. :thumbup:

I thought quite a bit about the V8 vs KS 16S curveball I threw you all (and me of course) on at the last minute and I've gone in my original direction of the V8.

There is no doubt in my mind that I will be very happy with the V8. It is considerably cheaper than the KS 16S and I feel a little more comfortable with QC of the Inmotion brand vs KingSong. Yes the range and max speed is lower but I feel that the V8 will be plenty fast enough for me. I do see that on a rare occasion I will want to go further than the V8 would allow but after looking at some charge rate figures from other users on here I decided to add a fast charger to the mix. On the odd occasion I want to run errands above and beyond the limit of the V8 I'll grab a coffee and plug it in for 30 minutes somewhere. These situations will be rare right now. I will most certainly appreciate the lower weight and the kill switch under the handle that he V8 offers...oh and not waiting 5 weeks!

So a HUGE thank you to everyone that humored me and contributed to this post. Thanks to your patience I can now officially join the ranks.

Congrats! Just remember to pad the hell out of the wheel. Make it look ridiculous if you have to to, but pad the hell out of it because it will be a bit depressing if by the time you can comfortably ride it, it's covered in a gargantuan amount of scratches/dents!

So, is Jason fitting the thinner tire for you, or is the whole of the new stock using it?

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Paddylaz said:

Congrats! Just remember to pad the hell out of the wheel. Make it look ridiculous if you have to to, but pad the hell out of it because it will be a bit depressing if by the time you can comfortably ride it, it's covered in a gargantuan amount of scratches/dents!

So, is Jason fitting the thinner tire for you, or is the whole of the new stock using it?

I ordered the official cover and a roll of protective padding from Jason for the sides and outer edge. I've seen some posts on here with ideas for the pedals which I will need to find again. I may even put extra padding under the cover. If I really screw it up I'll have no qualms ordering new shells. Scratches will eat me up. I'll have to get over that though to at least some degree I think.

As I understand out the whole batch will have 1.95 tyres fitted. I'll try to find the post where he  mentioned it.

3 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

and.....BANG! 

Trigger pulled. Order just completed through eWheels. :thumbup:

I thought quite a bit about the V8 vs KS 16S curveball I threw you all (and me of course) on at the last minute and I've gone in my original direction of the V8.

There is no doubt in my mind that I will be very happy with the V8. It is considerably cheaper than the KS 16S and I feel a little more comfortable with QC of the Inmotion brand vs KingSong. Yes the range and max speed is lower but I feel that the V8 will be plenty fast enough for me. I do see that on a rare occasion I will want to go further than the V8 would allow but after looking at some charge rate figures from other users on here I decided to add a fast charger to the mix. On the odd occasion I want to run errands above and beyond the limit of the V8 I'll grab a coffee and plug it in for 30 minutes somewhere. These situations will be rare right now. I will most certainly appreciate the lower weight and the kill switch under the handle that he V8 offers...oh and not waiting 5 weeks!

So a HUGE thank you to everyone that humored me and contributed to this post. Thanks to your patience I can now officially join the ranks.

Congrats!  To be honest I couldn't wait either.  I'm glad he changed the tire for you.

Now get ready to sweat for the next few days.  I was dripping going up and down and up and down.  My back, calf and legs were burning.  I think I spent about 30min to 1hr per day and took a few weeks.

I've let a skate board guy try and he was off riding right away.

My twelve year old took about a day.  My eleven took about one week.  My five took about a month.

I taught some neighbor college kids, they took 30 min.

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 0:46 PM, Jason McNeil said:

I first reported the occasional cases of tiring rubbing to Inmotion in October. The following two batches were mostly scrape-free, but then the batch which arrived in Mid-May had a number of the Kenda tires with 1-2mm variance around the diameter, this increased the probability of rubbing out-of-box. 

Obviously it's not a great Customer Experience to receive a beautiful shiny new V8, to then have a lame scrapping sound drawing attention to the otherwise completely stealth ride. I made a bit of stink about it; since then, the new tires should be 1.95" with a couple more mm of clearance... 

"checked with tech-team our new inner tire will use this size on our V8,so 16"x 1.95" size is correct."

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 2:57 PM, WARPed1701D said:

So the batch arriving in a few days will have this tire? As someone looking to purchase shortly I'm glad to hear the scraping will be resolved. Does the change affect handling, balance? Any other disadvantages introduced due to this?

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 4:18 PM, Jason McNeil said:

That's what was promised to me. These are the last of the V8s, next availability are going to be Solowheel branded Wheels, with the higher sticker price.

4 hours ago, Paddylaz said:

@Paddylaz

Here is the discussion about the different tire on this V8 batch.

The full discussion is near the bottom of this page:

The conversation then descend into grumbling about the imminent Inmotion price hike about to hit the U.S. :angry:

• Upvote 1

Not sure if this helps, but I've started taking my V3Pro on the train.

No need to lift it up, as it fits between my legs as I sit! With a couple inches to spare, I believe a larger wheel might also ( I hope, as I hope to upgrade).