V5F+ or V8. Help me decide.

WARPed1701D

4 hours ago, Paddylaz said:

Lol you're really thinking this through thoroughly aren't you? ?

I am terrible for analyzing and researching big purchases. I like to have no regrets. I think in the last week I've read most of this forum in my search for answers! It does lead to analysis paralysis though which is why I like the opinion of those who have been there and done it. The responses received so far have been invaluable. I think I'm at the point now to pull the trigger on a V8. I really like the V5F+ and the decision is really close but I think the extra power from the motor and the 16" diameter are going to make me feel more comfortable with the wheel even though I intend to speed limit it to 15mph. I've watched Marty's mSuper crash and while I know it was a fault that caused it i think I've no desire to go faster than 15mph even on a trustworthy wheel.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, RichieV said:

Due to a smaller contact patch, you should have slightly diminished stability and slightly increased mileage and maneuverability. I'm not sure but I think deflating the tire a little should even things out a bit and yet still keep the same profile within the shell preventing the rubbing issue. Deflating the tire won't completely solve it because the weight of the tire is still a bit smaller and tire weight lends to gyroscopic stability.

Maybe in time a reliable 2.15 tire that works will be found and I can fit it. With the 1.95 I will just be glad to have a wheel that doesn't have an issue out the box.

6 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

Maybe in time a reliable 2.15 tire that works will be found and I can fit it. With the 1.95 I will just be glad to have a wheel that doesn't have an issue out the box.

Did jason mention when the new stock with the 1.95 tire will be available?

22 minutes ago, Paddylaz said:

Did jason mention when the new stock with the 1.95 tire will be available?

I messaged him through the ewheels chat the other day. Expecting to ship out on the 30th June or just after if customs drag their heels.

• Upvote 1

Hopefully the merger or joint effort will be more of just a rebrand and exchange of intellectual properties rather than a cash grab.  Chen tried to fight the Goliath sized copycat problem battle in China and lost the war.  Perhaps he has learned his lesson that throwing money at a hopeless cause isn't worthwhile nor profitable.  Like they say, if you can't win, join them.  Not all brilliant inventors make for the best business leaders.

InMotion likely will gain from Chen's engineering experience, semi-well established brand and smart ideas while Inventist will benefit from access to mass production facilities, successful business practices and new sales.  To simplify things by saying prices are just going to skyrocket might be premature as InMotion won't want sales hurt in the US. Unnecessarily alarming the public might help drive sales of current stock, but it may be unfounded.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

To simplify things by saying prices are just going to skyrocket might be premature as InMotion won't want sales hurt in the US. Unnecessarily alarming the public might help drive sales of current stock, but it may be unfounded.

Seen this below?

• Upvote 1

Yeah I read that.  :efefe00999:  It's not entirely clear whether that was based on speculation or whether Jason actually recieved a notice of pricing increases across the board from InMotion for future products.  @Jason McNeil can you definitively confirm that the new Solowheel V5F+ and V8 models are going to be a lot more expensive simply due to the merger/joint venture?

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Upvote 2

Well maybe Jason can clear things up.  Lord knows I've certainly been way off base before :rolleyes:.  I might be smokin' the ganja.  :lol:

I suppose they could try bumping prices up 50% by slapping a different brand on the wheel?  I just wonder though whether InMotion corporate would okay that ballsy a move as sales are going pretty well for the products.  Are the Chinese that easily swayed?   Merging doesn't necessarily give Inventist total pricing control over another company's product line, does it?  For me, I try to pull back a bit and see the bigger picture while factoring everyone's interests.   Increasing prices may mean fewer sales in an already competitive market.  Chinese companies that keep a keen eye over profits likely don't make drastic changes like that easily I'm betting?  I could be wrong, of course.  :eff02518bb: 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Paddylaz said:

is ninebot dead now? Their euc division, anyway.

Good question, my E+ is as good as new performance wise, but it seems nothing new in the pipeline.  Maybe they are going in a different direction.

• Upvote 2

Probably that is the beginning of a new holding company like Fiat. Ferrari was buy and later sell by Fiat but that don't affect the price of the Fiat 500. Maybe Solowheel comes in the luxury brand of inmotion, one with those >40km/h and >40km of range for all who want something more. And IM remains branding the v5 and v8 like now with some improvement in order to maintain competitive and reasonable prices

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

Now my research needs to shift to the best protection I can find for riding.

Nice, congrats!

For protection, I've been totally satisfied with finding cheap helmets and body gear on AliExpress.com (sort through for most ordered. Also, buying off this site becomes way easier after becoming verified, which requires ID & CC#).

Also, hard to beat regular gear like Rollerblade wristguards (Lux/XT) and their other gear.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Dingfelder said:

From the vids and threads I've seen, a lot of people ride the Inmotions with the covers,which go for .... maybe $35 USD?  

Yes. I'll absolutely be getting the official cover for while I learn and if I intend to take the wheel somewhere I stand a good chance of dropping it (trails etc). For general commuting I think I'll leave the cover at home and follow the lead of others like Rehab1 that have applied inconspicuous bump strips to key areas. One, because the V8 (and the V5) are nice looking sleek wheels. I want to be able to enjoy that. Two, because I'll be trying to use the disco lights as running lights (white on the outer band at the front half, red on the rear half and orange around the inner band as a side marker) for night time use. Doing this means I can't use the cover all the time.

The protection I'll be researching will be for me! :thumbup: 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, houseofjob said:

Also, hard to beat regular gear like Rollerblade wristguards (Lux/XT) and their other gear.

Thanks for those brand suggestions. I'll take a look at them. I think I'll be looking for a full face helmet too with the chin protection. I have my Giro Synth road bike helmet but there is no chin/face protection and I'd really rather not smash this "one time impact" $250 helmet on the ground while I'm learning the ropes. 

Apart from great protection from all the gear I'll be looking for maximum ventilation (FL remember) and reduced bulk (I appreciate protection and bulk go hand in hand). I'll be sure to start a fresh thread if needed so valuable info doesn't get lost in unrelated discussions.

There are no extra risks during learning regarding hitting your head. In fact, as you'll be slower it will be less likely that you have any real crashes. The only endangered things are your shins/lower legs (definitely) and possibly your wrists if you fall really unlucky (and your pretty wheel, pad it up well!). Usually, you won't even fall and just step from the wheel involuntarily while it hits your shins first (they always do this, must be mandated by fate or so) and then spins on the ground for a moment before it switches off (scratch time).

Hitting your head can happen from sudden cut-outs (so you're safe on Inmotion) or serious accidents at higher speeds (so you're safe on Inmotion... kidding:P) or when something else hits you and your head hits that, none of which are learning related. You'll never be safer from needing a helmet than during the initial learning.

So using your existing bike helmet or even none at all should be unproblematic.

Edited by meepmeepmayer

WARPed1701D,

At the cost of extending this conversation further, I just wanted to mention:  if you think you might become a hardcore rider, you may want to look at the next level up 40-60 miles range.  I've mentioned that in other threads that I've wish I've bought something in that range.

I quote Marty Backe " I've contemplated buying a V8 for around-town riding. The price is about right, but I couldn't see spending much more since that brings the prices closer the KS16/ACM prices."

It seems  buying an EUC is not something we can return and exchange easily.

Edited by CaptainKBLS
  • Upvote 2