Brand new Inmotion V8 and I am disappointed.

Goodman

1 minute ago, Jason McNeil said:

Just US.

stupid move...

If they get more than "a bit" more expensive...it will be again harder for the US resellers to compete against the "chinese worldwide" sellers aka aliexpress.....

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

Just US.

Having lived the first 30 years of my life in the UK (9 more in the US) I am constantly surprised just how often the American consumer gets screwed. Never in my life have I had so many entities trying to grab extra or an artificially inflated amount of money from my wallet for little to no reason.

8 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

Just US.

Hmmmm.... this doesn't sound like an innovation partnership, it sounds like more Shane Chen / Inventist US market patent trolling with InMotion falling victim.

3 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

Having lived the first 30 years of my life in the UK (9 more in the US) I am constantly surprised just how often the American consumer gets screwed. Never in my life have I had so many entities trying to grab extra or an artificially inflated amount of money from my wallet for little to no reason.

Unless you're talking about gasoline prices. The UK is better at screwing their consumers in that department. There are probably other examples too ;)

2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Unless you're talking about gasoline prices. The UK is better at screwing their consumers in that department. There are probably other examples too ;)

It most certainly is not perfect. 20% tax on most purchases hurts like hell and yes petrol is also painful, but smaller engines help offset that one at least...or just getting a EUC!

Still as a new consumer looking at two IM models I don't think I would be willing to pay more than even Jason's current sale price for the hardware on offer. The V8 would get bumped for a KingSong 16. THe V5F+ may still get a look-in though.

3 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

It most certainly is not perfect. 20% tax on most purchases hurts like hell and yes petrol is also painful, but smaller engines help offset that one at least...or just getting a EUC!

Still as a new consumer looking at two IM models I don't think I would be willing to pay more than even Jason's current sale price for the hardware on offer. The V8 would get bumped for a KingSong 16. THe V5F+ may still get a look-in though.

Agreed. I've contemplated buying a V8 for around-town riding. The price is about right, but I couldn't see spending much more since that brings the prices closer the KS16/ACM prices.

On 21/06/2017 at 2:24 AM, Goodman said:

I have waited 6 weeks for this to be delivered to me, I had high expectations thinking the build quality would be a lot better. I can not express my disappointment I expected too much or maybe I got the only bad one sent out or maybe it will get better with more kms on it I don't know.

First the tyre scrapes I had my tyre at 60 psi that didn't work I tried 50 psi that didn't work now it's at 40 psi which is almost like flat. I asked my seller and he asked Inmotion and they said the recommended pressure is 30-40 psi which I say is bulshit trying to palm me off I think.

It rained for like 8 minutes yesterday very light while I was riding, I couldn't turn my wheel off afterwards had to get a cloth and whip at the start button for 5 minutes before it turned off. I then had problems turning it back on, it finally worked after an hour, isn't this shitty wheel suppose to be IP55.

Final problem with this wheel is I have had this wheel for five days and so far I cant get more then 25 kms out of a single charge average speed is 15-20 kph, I am only 65 kilos and even with my cloths and helmet on I am still under 70 kilos. This is done with no hills mostly very flat surfaces, is my battery bad or this is the most I can get out of the wheel, thought it had close to 40 kms?

I have 6 more days to complain, I usually don't complain if it were just 1 small problem. I could probably live with the tyre scrape but it's as annoying as hell as I don't like riding on low psi. The start button worries me and the battery is just so poor it's actually worse than my ninebot one e+. Should I send back to seller? Or does this get better?

WoW 25 km is nothing if you weigh 65kg. I have a V8, I can ride it for 24km BUT I weigh 95kg and I ride quite aggressively, carving, ie lots of breaking and accelerations and I have over a 1000km already on it. I would suggest get another unit, your battery is not normal.

I also don't get the tire scrape and I've ridden it in the rain 2-3 times without any issues. Fight it. It's a great wheel but yours doesn't sound normal. Good luck! TESLA, please make an EUC!

• 2 weeks later...

When I first got my V8 it had a little bit of tyre scrape but within a few minutes of learning to ride it, the sound went away and probably the shell or the tyre itself sanded that 1mm down and no more sound. 

I reckon the tiny clearance issue is probably due to Inmotion trying to avoid crud,sticks,leaves getting lodged inside the unit and causing problems down the line. 

Im about 75kg and a 15km commute takes off about 35-45% of battery life, depending on how hard I accelerate and how high a speed I maintain whilst cruising.  

Went riding in the stormy conditions for about an hour and the power switch is fine so far. 

Compared to most other brands, inmotions, from my observations, have the least complaints. So you probably got a bad unit. 

1 hour ago, Wax said:

I reckon the tiny clearance issue is probably due to Inmotion trying to avoid crud,sticks,leaves getting lodged inside the unit and causing problems down the line. 

I think it is due to their last minute change from a 1.95 tyre they had on the early prototypes to a 2.125 tyre on the sold wheel. I'd rather deal with some scraping than going back to 1.95 though. 

On 7/4/2017 at 3:49 AM, Mono said:

I think it is due to their last minute change from a 1.95 tyre they had on the early prototypes to a 2.125 tyre on the sold wheel. I'd rather deal with some scraping than going back to 1.95 though. 

Here's a bright idea for an EUC company to try: 2.5 inch tire on a 16-inch EUC! Why is Lhotz the only one?? The ride is so superior vs. thin tires, and success is already proven by IPS 191 Lhotz!!

11 minutes ago, MaxLinux said:

Here's a bright idea for an EUC company to try: 2.5 inch tire on a 16-inch EUC! Why is Lhotz the only one?? The ride is so superior vs. thin tires, and success is already proven by IPS 191 Lhotz!!

Isn't running a bigger (heavier) tyre going to result in more battery drain if there is more contact between rubber and road?  

I honestly don't know what width my tyre is, all I know is that it's a Kenda :) 

i don't go off road much, so maybe that's why it doesn't matter to me that much!

55 minutes ago, MaxLinux said:

Why stop there? I'd love Go Kart tire width's like 6"; like what @Joey Serrin has going on with his Sherpa **please produce *fingers crossed***

45 minutes ago, Wax said:

I honestly don't know what width my tyre is, all I know is that it's a Kenda :) 

V8's are standard 2.125" width.

3 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Is 2.5 vs 2.125 (or is 2 the other standard size?) really that big of a difference in riding feel? In what way?

msuper V3 has 2.5 inch I believe and the tire looks massive.

I believe so. 

Everyone thinks the 18" wheels are so much more stable due to the 2" size increase from something like a 16", but I personally think it's more due to the increased width (16" x 2.125" going up to 18" x 2.5"). 

You basically have more surface area contacting the road to spread the shock of riding over a bump, and you have more traction surface area for reduced traction situations like rain and loose gravel.

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 0:46 PM, Jason McNeil said:

I first reported the occasional cases of tiring rubbing to Inmotion in October. The following two batches were mostly scrape-free, but then the batch which arrived in Mid-May had a number of the Kenda tires with 1-2mm variance around the diameter, this increased the probability of rubbing out-of-box. 

Obviously it's not a great Customer Experience to receive a beautiful shiny new V8, to then have a lame scrapping sound drawing attention to the otherwise completely stealth ride. I made a bit of stink about it; since then, the new tires should be 1.95" with a couple more mm of clearance... 

"checked with tech-team our new inner tire will use this size on our V8,so 16"x 1.95" size is correct."

Question for @Jason McNeil. Once I get my V8 and have got used to riding (thankfully avoiding an out the box issue with the tire) would I void my warranty if I decided to buy a Kenda 2.15 tire from you and fit it myself? I'd be interested to try a 2.15 out eventually to see if it improves the ride and maybe I could get it running without the scrape, but not at the cost of the warranty.

I'm not really sure what work on the wheel would void the warranty and what wouldn't.

Thanks.

24 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

Question for @Jason McNeil. Once I get my V8 and have got used to riding (thankfully avoiding an out the box issue with the tire) would I void my warranty if I decided to buy a Kenda 2.15 tire from you and fit it myself? I'd be interested to try a 2.15 out eventually to see if it improves the ride and maybe I could get it running without the scrape, but not at the cost of the warranty.

I'm not really sure what work on the wheel would void the warranty and what wouldn't.

Thanks.

It's a pain in the butt to change tyres on the V8, having taken the wheel off and putting it back together again I doubt I would do it again unless my tyres really needed to be changed. I don't think Jason will void your warranty for changing a tyre but I am sure he will charge you if you damage something while doing it.

Just now, Goodman said:

It's a pain in the butt to change tyres on the V8, having taken the wheel off and putting it back together again I doubt I would do it again unless my tyres really needed to be changed. I don't think Jason will void your warranty for changing a tyre but I am sure he will charge you if you damage something while doing it.

Just been watching the official Inmotion disassembly video. Yes, quite a bit of work but I may be willing to give it a shot if I decide to dabble in the 2.15 tire and see if I can get it to work.

I would expect to pay for self-inflicted damage during the work but don't want to complete a successful job but find it has voided the warranty if I needed to make a legitimate claim down the road.

What did you fit to yours in the end and has it improved the scrape situation? Did you drop the tire size to 1.95? If so how does it handle/feel now? Thanks in advance.

Just now, WARPed1701D said:

Just been watching the official Inmotion disassembly video. Yes, quite a bit of work but I may be willing to give it a shot if I decide to dabble in the 2.15 tire and see if I can get it to work.

I would expect to pay for self-inflicted damage during the work but don't want to complete a successful job but find it has voided the warranty if I needed to make a legitimate claim down the road.

What did you fit to yours in the end and has it improved the scrape situation? Did you drop the tire size to 1.95? If so how does it handle/feel now? Thanks in advance.

I was told by my seller to take the tyre off and reinstall it, so that's what I did and to be honest it did help a bit now I can pump my tyre up to 40 psi. It's ok most of the time but every now and then it will still scrape. My seller is sending me a new tyre but even if I get it I won't be changing it over after this one go already. Maybe I am not good at taking things apart cause it took me ages to take it apart and put it back together and I have this terrible feeling something might fall apart because I haven't done something properly.

I think if your riding on the road most of the time 0.2 inch is not going to affect you too much, just don't pump the tyres up to the maximum and you automatically will have more surface area of the tyre touching the surface. Mine are 2.15 I would have liked to pump mine up to 55 or 60psi I like very little contact as I like as little resistance from the ground as possible makes carving a lot more fun.

20 minutes ago, Goodman said:

I was told by my seller to take the tyre off and reinstall it, so that's what I did and to be honest it did help a bit now I can pump my tyre up to 40 psi. It's ok most of the time but every now and then it will still scrape. My seller is sending me a new tyre but even if I get it I won't be changing it over after this one go already. Maybe I am not good at taking things apart cause it took me ages to take it apart and put it back together and I have this terrible feeling something might fall apart because I haven't done something properly.

I think if your riding on the road most of the time 0.2 inch is not going to affect you too much, just don't pump the tyres up to the maximum and you automatically will have more surface area of the tyre touching the surface. Mine are 2.15 I would have liked to pump mine up to 55 or 60psi I like very little contact as I like as little resistance from the ground as possible makes carving a lot more fun.

I'm glad you saw an improvement from the reseat. I'm glad mine will come with the 1.95 out the box so no issues to distract me from learning. I'll see how I feel  once I'm over the learning hump about trying the wider tire if Jason confirms it is ok to do so.

7 hours ago, Goodman said:

you must be dying to take delivery of your new V8 

Yes. I'm highly annoyed with customs  for picking that container to inspect. What's worse is I was tossing up between the V8 and the KS 16S at the last minute and went with the V8 in part because I didn't have to wait 4 to 5 weeks for the KS to arrive. Now out looks like the V8 will only be a few weeks earlier. I keep ping ponging my decision. Aghhhhhh. :w00t2:

These wheels are almost even. Only difference is the ks16s can take more punishment and go a little faster. While the v8 has custom side lights and it's easier on the eyes. If we were rich, we would buy both. Listen, you can't have regrets. Just enjoy your wheel. Also, waiting is part of the fun. It's like your very own christmas. I am happy for. I too had the same delema. Now (in only 1 years time) I own 4 wheels. This wheel... is only one of many you will own.

Archived