Jump to content
Goodman

Brand new Inmotion V8 and I am disappointed.

Recommended Posts

44 minutes ago, Shemp said:

I've had my V8 for about 7 months. No tire scrape, never quit in the rain, never ran out of juice (or even close).

That's why I bought one. Just me unlucky hopefully it will be fixed soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sorry to hear about your problems.  My experience has been only positive with the V8.  

I've found their rain/moisture protection to be adequate (no need for the modification I did to my IPS Zero, because the V8 on/off button is already weather-proofed).   I imagine if you ride through a full-on storm or puddles, that you may get internal shorts, but I've had no problem riding for 10s of miles in misty rain.  

Your tire pressures seems off the mark.   Inmotion suggests ~40psi (I have mine at 44psi).   I have pumped my V8 up to about 60 psi, but don't notice a lot of difference between 45-60 psi in tire stiffness.  You are about the same weight as I am, so I am wondering what you are doing with the wheel that needs 65psi.   Not a criticism, just curious how you are using the wheel differently than I use mine.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To Goodman: 

a)  Concerning tire scrap:   My V8 scrape very badly when it arrived new. After changing the tire to Hookworm 16 x 1.95 no more scraping. I pump it up to their recommended pressure about 105 psi, and the ride has been great (especially going over cracks, bumps, on the road), and the battery life was back to normal. Should you change the tire, add a good tire liner to prevent puncture (getting flat tire). Its the same concept as your pedal bike. Would you on purpose under inflate your pedal bike tire, and spent whole lot of effort trying to ride it.

B) Concerning on/off button on the V8.  Just like on my pedal bike with lights that used similar plastic soft button, heavy rain will seep into the switch and cause it not to work properly until the wetness dried out.  I just put a waterproof tape over the entire switch, and no more issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Chris Westland said:

I'm sorry to hear about your problems.  My experience has been only positive with the V8.  

I've found their rain/moisture protection to be adequate (no need for the modification I did to my IPS Zero, because the V8 on/off button is already weather-proofed).   I imagine if you ride through a full-on storm or puddles, that you may get internal shorts, but I've had no problem riding for 10s of miles in misty rain.  

Your tire pressures seems off the mark.   Inmotion suggests ~40psi (I have mine at 44psi).   I have pumped my V8 up to about 60 psi, but don't notice a lot of difference between 45-60 psi in tire stiffness.  You are about the same weight as I am, so I am wondering what you are doing with the wheel that needs 65psi.   Not a criticism, just curious how you are using the wheel differently than I use mine.  

So Chris have you had no tire scrape whatsoever?

Is this down to a diversity in the tire types that various v8 stocks are shipping with?

Eager to upgrade from my v5f+ but this stuff is bothering me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I pumped up my tyre to about 45 psi and no scrape. I do notice the odd noise as the wheel picked up the odd bit of crud which then rattles around between the housing and the tyre until it falls out. No idea why the clearance is so low but other than that i find that the V8 is really very nicely built.

I never ride in the wet so cannot comment on the weatherproofing of the power button. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Chris Westland said:

I'm sorry to hear about your problems.  My experience has been only positive with the V8.  

I've found their rain/moisture protection to be adequate (no need for the modification I did to my IPS Zero, because the V8 on/off button is already weather-proofed).   I imagine if you ride through a full-on storm or puddles, that you may get internal shorts, but I've had no problem riding for 10s of miles in misty rain.  

Your tire pressures seems off the mark.   Inmotion suggests ~40psi (I have mine at 44psi).   I have pumped my V8 up to about 60 psi, but don't notice a lot of difference between 45-60 psi in tire stiffness.  You are about the same weight as I am, so I am wondering what you are doing with the wheel that needs 65psi.   Not a criticism, just curious how you are using the wheel differently than I use mine.  

I meant the tyre is rated to 65 psi I did not pump it up to 65. Even at 40 my tyre scrapes I have tried 30-35 and it is ok but the tyre feels flat and I don't like the ride. 

I was advised to take the wheel apart and completely remove the tyre and tube and readjust it to solve this problem. I looked at the disassemble video looks like a lot of work is it worth trying?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Roll_On said:

To Goodman: 

a)  Concerning tire scrap:   My V8 scrape very badly when it arrived new. After changing the tire to Hookworm 16 x 1.95 no more scraping. I pump it up to their recommended pressure about 105 psi, and the ride has been great (especially going over cracks, bumps, on the road), and the battery life was back to normal. Should you change the tire, add a good tire liner to prevent puncture (getting flat tire). Its the same concept as your pedal bike. Would you on purpose under inflate your pedal bike tire, and spent whole lot of effort trying to ride it.

B) Concerning on/off button on the V8.  Just like on my pedal bike with lights that used similar plastic soft button, heavy rain will seep into the switch and cause it not to work properly until the wetness dried out.  I just put a waterproof tape over the entire switch, and no more issue.

Ill ask my seller if he has the tyre and that's for the suggestion re button.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today we had thunderstorms with heavy rain and I was out on V8 maybe for an hour. No issues with the power button. 

I don't know what changed but tire scraping is occurring now. Maybe riding on wet roads affected it somehow. It is very annoying.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah the tyre scraping annoys me, with every full turn I hear it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Paddylaz said:

So Chris have you had no tire scrape whatsoever?

Is this down to a diversity in the tire types that various v8 stocks are shipping with?

Eager to upgrade from my v5f+ but this stuff is bothering me.

I don't see the benefit to go from v5f+ to v8.  In my opinion.  You get the same range and that extra motor power just ain't worth it.  If you're going to upgrade, I would go the next level up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Paddylaz said:

So Chris have you had no tire scrape whatsoever?

Is this down to a diversity in the tire types that various v8 stocks are shipping with?

Eager to upgrade from my v5f+ but this stuff is bothering me.

I haven't ... I have the stock Kendra tire, and haven't had scrape at any pressure.  Judging from @Jason McNeil's comments on difficulties with replacement tires (e.g., using the Chao Yang) I'm guessing this could be a problem.  It's a skinny wheel (which is part of the beauty of the V8) and the width has to be taken from someplace.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Goodman said:

I meant the tyre is rated to 65 psi I did not pump it up to 65. Even at 40 my tyre scrapes I have tried 30-35 and it is ok but the tyre feels flat and I don't like the ride. 

I was advised to take the wheel apart and completely remove the tyre and tube and readjust it to solve this problem. I looked at the disassemble video looks like a lot of work is it worth trying?

Below 40psi doesn't feel good to me, and it makes low speed maneuvering difficult.   I might suggest rather than disassembly: (1) releasing all of the air in the tire, (2) spinning it around to try to seat it in again, massaging it and feeling for any misseating (make sure to pull and center the spigot) and (3) then refill it to ~40psi.  

Edited by Chris Westland

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chris Westland said:

Below 40psi doesn't feel good to me, and it makes low speed maneuvering difficult.   I might suggest rather than disassembly: (1) releasing all of the air in the tire, (2) spinning it around to try to seat it in again, massaging it and feeling for any misseating (make sure to pull and center the spigot) and (3) then refill it to ~40psi.  

Thanks Chris for the suggestion, I have tried that already yesterday and it didn't work that's why my seller advised me to try take it off completely. I am not looking forward it doing that but he has sent me a video, it still looks hard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

I first reported the occasional cases of tiring rubbing to Inmotion in October. The following two batches were mostly scrape-free, but then the batch which arrived in Mid-May had a number of the Kenda tires with 1-2mm variance around the diameter, this increased the probability of rubbing out-of-box. 

Obviously it's not a great Customer Experience to receive a beautiful shiny new V8, to then have a lame scrapping sound drawing attention to the otherwise completely stealth ride. I made a bit of stink about it; since then, the new tires should be 1.95" with a couple more mm of clearance... 

"checked with tech-team our new inner tire will use this size on our V8,so 16"x 1.95" size is correct."

So the batch arriving in a few days will have this tire? As someone looking to purchase shortly I'm glad to hear the scraping will be resolved. Does the change affect handling, balance? Any other disadvantages introduced due to this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WARPed1701D said:

So the batch arriving in a few days will have this tire?

That's what was promised to me. These are the last of the V8s, next availability are going to be Solowheel branded Wheels, with the higher sticker price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jason McNeil said:

That's what was promised to me. These are the last of the V8s, next availability are going to be Solowheel branded Wheels, with the higher sticker price.

Yes I picked up on that from another thread but thanks for the heads up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

That's what was promised to me. These are the last of the V8s, next availability are going to be Solowheel branded Wheels, with the higher sticker price.

What???

they go under solowheel brand then and get higher prices? all IM Euc's???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

they go under solowheel brand then and get higher prices? all IM Euc's???

Afraid it's looking that way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

Afraid it's looking that way. 

do you know only US market or also europe?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jason McNeil said:

Just US.

Bummer :crying:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...