Dangerous moutain riding - EUC limits ??

Pingouin

Is there a easy inexpensive way to warn about the temperature inside the shell?

I tried to use heat sensitive resistors and an UNO board plus a beeper. But that is just for experiement and is expensive and not sturdy.

3 minutes ago, EUCMania said:

I tried to use heat sensitive resistors and an UNO board plus a beeper. But that is just for experiement and is expensive and not sturdy.

After I tore off the extra insulation and add an internal fan, the motor wire is quite Ok(I checked twice) even the board is overheated. Therefore, the overheat/tiltback is the warning.

2 minutes ago, zlymex said:

After I tore off the extra insulation and add an internal fan, the motor wire is quite Ok(I checked twice) even the board is overheated. Therefore, the overheat/tiltback is the warning.

where do you get power for the fan? say for msuper 3?

14 minutes ago, EUCMania said:

Depends what you consider inexpensive... small battery or step-down to power from the wheel batteries (or 12V or 5V off the board, if accessible?) + Arduino Nano -clone + beeper + sensor shouldn't cost much, usually it's more of an issue with getting them encased properly and fitted inside (or outside) the wheel. Calibrating the measurement with an NTC-resistor might be a bit difficult, but you can get K-type thermocouple that's good up to around 1000C + board with chip for reading it with cold junction compensation (MAX6675, I got them somewhere, at least one in my reflow oven) for reasonably cheap. The thermocouple seems to be fairly accurate (well, as far as I can tell with another cheapo measurement device, a pistol-type infrared thermometer), but chips' precision is 0.5 or 1C (forgot which). The length of the thermocouple cable might be an issue though (I didn't shorten it).

I remember back in the days when i cared about modifying computers that airflow considerations could be deceptive, especially when multiple fans are involved inside the same case.  Some arrangements that look good at first glance actually make the airflow much more stagnant.  I hope anyone putting a fan in a EUC is careful to be sure he is improving things rather than just adding things.

Archived