Maximum heat/operating conditions? Can't believe I'm having to ask this from ENGLAND

Paddylaz

So it's about 30c here at the moment. I'm well aware of the dangers for eucs when it's too cold, but what are the operating limits like in the 'heat.'? I've put heat in quotation marks as perhaps for some people here 30c isn't that hot. Nervous about taking the v5f+ out, especially up hill after hearing Marty's horror story.

For us pasty souls here in the UK 30c and we're fucking melting.

Hi, I've ridden with +33°C temperatures at high speeds (+35kph) for an extended period of time on flat terrain with some friends (Monster, MS3 820Wh & ACM 1300Wh) with no issues, no overheating of the cables, I did check the internal temperature from time to time, it reached 63°C at it's max.

I have ridden my MCM4 at top speed (23kph) for almost 2h last summer at +38°C on mostly flat ground & trails, never had any issue, I've also ridden an MCM3 up very steep climbs in the moutains for an hour yeasterday with +30°C with no issues, I think that with the V5F+ max speed & power you are safe, these failures seeem to occur only on high powered gotway EUC.

I think that on flat terrain you are pretty safe, the issue is when you start climbing a hill, if you look the power output during climbs it can easily reach over the max rate nominal power. I

However I still recommend that you keep yourself aware at all if anything strange happens stop riding immediatly !

20 minutes ago, Pingouin said:

Hi, I've ridden with +33°C temperatures at high speeds (+35kph) for an extended period of time on flat terrain with some friends (Monster, MS3 820Wh & ACM 1300Wh) with no issues, no overheating of the cables, I did check the internal temperature from time to time, it reached 63°C at it's max.

I have ridden my MCM4 at top speed (23kph) for almost 2h last summer at +38°C on mostly flat ground & trails, never had any issue, I've also ridden an MCM3 up very steep climbs in the moutains for an hour yeasterday with +30°C with no issues, I think that with the V5F+ max speed & power you are safe, these failures seeem to occur only on high powered gotway EUC.

I think that on flat terrain you are pretty safe, the issue is when you start climbing a hill, if you look the power output during climbs it can easily reach over the max rate nominal power. I

However I still recommend that you keep yourself aware at all if anything strange happens stop riding immediatly !

Awesome, cheers dude ?

Marty's story has nothing to do with environmental temperature. Only heat from high currents. 20 degrees more or less outside temperature would have changed virtually nothing regarding heat conduction away from the wires. Same would have happened in winter with snow.

I'd say there is no real upper limit considering the temperatures possible on Earth. Certainly not 30°C or even 40°C. It's a non-issue, just don't park the wheel in the direct sunlight in summer.

Two more days of this apparently, I cannot wait till it gets cooler. I was going to go wheeling this afternoon when i got in from work but its just to damn hot to do anything. Even the dog  is melting....we have to keep the windows shut to stop the heat coming in. 

8 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Marty's story has nothing to do with environmental temperature. Only heat from high currents. 20 degrees more or less outside temperature would have changed virtually nothing regarding heat conduction away from the wires. Same would have happened in winter with snow.

I'd say there is no real upper limit considering the temperatures possible on Earth. Certainly not 30°C or even 40°C. It's a non-issue, just don't park the wheel in the direct sunlight in summer.

I would not be so black and white. Heat will have a impact. 

Most computer are rated to 55c but that also have fans and such. 

Higher opearating temperature lower life expectancy of electronics. 

Run at 20c and run at 40c the drive at 40c will fail sonner. 

Also the battery chemistry won't last as long as the cooler unit. 

Yeah but I don't think the operating limits are reduced at high temperatures (unlike low temperatures, where batteries are notably weaker and you have to be careful with cut out in the extreme case of below 0°C).

As far as component longevity is concerned, would 40° really make a difference to 20°? I thought batteries actually benefit from higher temperatures (but of course not too high, aka 50° or so). And the rest, I would not know which other component of a wheel would even be affected by outside temperature (which is also a bit different from what happens in the shell). Maybe some mainboard parts?

I think before weather really becomes too hot for the wheel, it already is way too hot for the rider, so riding at normal hot temperatures = no problem:)

Archived