Glad to be alive!

Rehab1

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

So funny. When the decision making process is removed from people than they can use robots or minimum wage employees.

What kills me is when highly paid people (in large bureaucracies, like government jobs) don't apply common sense when dealing with an issue, and instead spout 'programmed responses'. What's the point in paying that person good money. If they can't think then replace them with automation or low payed workers. That's my pet peeve for the day ;)

I think the idea is to entirely replace decision making with heuristics. A worker will know what actions to take given conditions. Once you've reached that point of mapping out every possible action and condition, one might as well go all the way and use robots.

I envision a wonderful future where we only have politicians making decisions, a few middle-managers for the complex solutions, and everyone else as consumers.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

God it takes long time for a new battery! I decided to pass some time and went for a ride on my V5F+ around the dealer's lot looking for my drown truck. At 1:40 into the video some employee is swatting bees off of a new car. It first looked like he had some form of bee zapper in his hand.

"That's going to be a rough road to go back there" :D If that's rough you'd never survive some of our mountain rides here ;)

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

So funny. When the decision making process is removed from people than they can use robots or minimum wage employees.

What kills me is when highly paid people (in large bureaucracies, like government jobs) don't apply common sense when dealing with an issue, and instead spout 'programmed responses'. What's the point in paying that person good money. If they can't think then replace them with automation or low payed workers. That's my pet peeve for the day ;)

A lot of employees are so very far from being allowed to use common sense or even speak in their own words that doing so could get them fired or in other serious trouble.  Often the employee knows how stupid and inflexible the responses are that he or she is compelled to give.  They just have no choice.  They probably don't feel too great about that.  But there's not a thing they can do to change it.

Then to rub it in, they get a dirty look from a customer. 

But, as George Bush Jr. said, everyone's got to put food on their family.

• 4 months later...

Still alive but emotionally diminished. My brother is in jail for a very serious crime.  He spent his birthday behind bars yesterday. I am torn by what he did. I only see him 1x a year as he lives quite a distance away. Family has ostracized him. I can’t post bail because I am required to reside in his state. If there was an exception by the judge it would require me posting a surety bond which means that I must guarantee that he shows up to court for upcoming arraignments. If he skips town I would go to jail.  My enthusiasm has really taken a hit.

Well, if your first instinct is you're not 110% sure your brother would honor the agreement and keep you out of trouble, I certainly wouldn't sign anything that can blow back to you that hard. Difficult, but the only reasonable choice.

How does it work, he has to stay in jail until a trial otherwise?

Was he ostracized before or after the crime?

Maybe a new gadget or relaxing EUC ride can cheer you up... EUC ride certainly can't hurt (unless you have an accident)... or maybe how about a EUC ride?:efee8319ab: (Sorry:efeebb3acc: but it's not like there's much to say to actually help you.)

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

Still alive but emotionally diminished. My brother is in jail for a very serious crime.  He spent his birthday behind bars yesterday. I am torn by what he did. I only see him 1x a year as he lives quite a distance away. Family has ostracized him. I can’t post bail because I am required to reside in his state. If there was an exception by the judge it would require me posting a surety bond which means that I must guarantee that he shows up to court for upcoming arraignments. If he skips town I would go to jail.  My enthusiasm has really taken a hit.

Very sorry to hear this Rehab. Unfortunately as the saying goes ' you can't choose your family'. I'm not sure if you just posted this to vent or if you were looking for advice. Sadly none of us can do that well as we know the tip of the iceberg of the problem.

The fact you are considering posting a bond goes to show what a great guy you are considering the rest of the family has walked away.

You are torn about the crime so that can only mean you need more time to process what has happened and to gain some certainty. Don't rush a decision you may regret.

I'd also say your brother is an adult. If this is not a crime as a result of some accident and he knew what he was doing then he made a choice to do what he did and risk being where he is now. Risking money to help him is one thing but risking jail time yourself is a whole new level. In that circumstance you must think of yourself and your family.

Only you know the circumstances and your brother. I wish you the best in dealing with this difficult situation.

Archived