Washington DC to Pittsburgh PA - Great Allegheny Passage

dmethvin

Okay, this may be just another crazy idea but hey, I figured I would throw it out there. There is a bike trail from Washington DC to Pittsburgh PA called the Great Allegheny Passage that seems like it would be a fun trip:

https://gaptrail.org/

I checked and their official policy allows EUCs. If they don't check the rating on the motor you could even ride a Gotway Monster!

"Bicycles with an Electric Assist System are considered to be any unicycle, bicycle, tricycle, or quadracycle with an electric motor not exceeding 750 watts of power, a maximum weight of 100 pounds, pedal-assist, and top-speed utilized not in excess of 15 miles per hour, or less if otherwise noted.* *This definition is in compliance with the Consumer Product Safety Commission Public Law 107–319, 116 Stat., Act 2776 and the Federal Highway Administration Title 23, United States Code 217."

Just to give you an idea of pace and time, take a look at some of the organized tour sites. They have people covering about 50 miles a day which should be easily doable for most EUCs and leave some time for off-trail exploration. The entire trip takes 6 days. https://wilderness-voyageurs.com/adventures/pittsburgh-to-dc-gap-and-co-bike-tour/

Pittsburgh area also has the steepest street in the United States if you want to test your EUC. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canton_Avenue

I am completely out of vacation this year but would really love to do this some day.

That sounds like it could be an awesome journey!

Not wanting to put a damper on the idea, but... Does an EUC count as having an "electric assist system?" Or, more importantly, would any officials have an opinion on that fact? 

335 miles (539 km) between Washington DC and Pittsburgh PA, going one-way. So that's 670 miles (1078 km) round-trip, if no shuttle/train is taken back. :lol:

Realistically, as of June 2017 technology, this trip would be better suited for high capacity King Song or GotWay brands, only. More specifically the KS-18S and the GW Monster would be perfect, as they have optional attachable seats capability, for long distance comfort. And the latter can go 100 miles on a single charge.

It is totally doable thou, and the trail is definitely on my radar for consideration now. Thanks for posting that!

6 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

That sounds like it could be an awesome journey!

Not wanting to put a damper on the idea, but... Does an EUC count as having an "electric assist system?" Or, more importantly, would any officials have an opinion on that fact? 

Well if they said you had to pedal an electric unicycle by moving a crank shaft around with the pedals then that device hasn't been created yet. Even the SBU had static pedals, even though it had a seat. I see your point though, and it's a good idea to ask in advance whether *only* a pedal-assist system would be allowed. There are quite a few hand-throttle e-bikes and I wonder if it's their intent to exclude them too.

12 minutes ago, dmethvin said:

Well if they said you had to pedal an electric unicycle by moving a crank shaft around with the pedals then that device hasn't been created yet. Even the SBU had static pedals, even though it had a seat. I see your point though, and it's a good idea to ask in advance whether *only* a pedal-assist system would be allowed. There are quite a few hand-throttle e-bikes and I wonder if it's their intent to exclude them too.

Au contraire, mon frere!

20 hours ago, RichieV said:

Au contraire, mon frere!

That dude is insane!  But I guess the main advantage to a pedal unicycle is that when you fall off at high speed, your legs are already in run mode.  I was impressed that he fell off at high speed and was able to run it out.:blink1:  35 km/h wow!

Archived