IPS i5 First Look! Ask away!

Trey Lewis

4 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Personally, I still prefer long press because it is virtually impossible to accidentally activate it (mostly switching the wheel on)

I concur.

For as much as I loved my V5F+ experience, a very very minor gripe I had was the immediate power on, coupled by the touch button, led to so many times I accidentally powered it on, especially when cleaning.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 05/07/2017 at 8:13 PM, Sam Clegg said:

I don't buy that changing the button from "long press" to "short press" introduces a new failure point.  Weather or not a power button can fail by being rusty/old/wet/loose (I should hope none of these) is independent of whether its is a "long press" or "short press" that triggers the shut down.   If you really think that instant shutoff buttons are so terrible to you also think that the in-motion handle switch is dangerous idea? 

With any half decent design, failure of the power button itself will not turn off the wheel. The power button may give the turn off signal, but the wheel actually only turns off if it isn't spinning.

5 hours ago, Mono said:

With any half decent design, failure of the power button itself will not turn off the wheel. The power button may give the turn off signal, but the wheel actually only turns off if it isn't spinning.

Can you try that and get back to us with the results? Pad up first.

17 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

sure, have done this before, the InMotion V8 and the Gotway MCMC2s don't react to the on/off button when pressed while driving. I didn't need padding up to find this out, including the case when I drove so slowly that the above didn't apply B). BTW, one can do the experiment as well by just pushing the wheel but not riding it.

17 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

You can try that yourself also on the v3 or acm....roll it forwards and push the power button....it will not work as long as the wheel rolls! @Mono is absolutely correct....

10 hours ago, Trey Lewis said:

If I get a chance today I will give this a shot. Slow speeds.

I should have added an emoticon. I was joking - don't risk hurting yourself :cry2:

On 7/8/2017 at 9:43 AM, Mono said:

But when I press the button while the the wheel is spinning I really do want to it to stop!

Many many times I've lifted the wheel to early and it starts spinning out of control.  I want to turn it off in this case.. and I want to turn it off fast.  Placing it down the floor can sometimes work but it can result in the wheel kicking and bucking and skidding as it comes back into contact with the ground.. so normally I just end up waiting for the wheel to accelerate to stop speed and shut itself down.  This is not a good user experience and its not necessary.   I want to power button to do it job and shuts the wheel down.

I've never ever accidentally pressed the power button.  I just don't buy that argument.

The original solowheel has a power button that just worked and there not a problem with that.

2 hours ago, Mono said:

sure, have done this before, the InMotion V8 and the Gotway MCMC2s don't react to the on/off button when pressed while driving. I didn't need padding up to find this out, including the case when I drove so slowly that the above didn't apply B). BTW, one can do the experiment as well by just pushing the wheel but not riding it.

What about the V8's handle shutoff?  If you grab that while riding presumably it will shut down the wheel right?  Otherwise it wouldn't me much good to carrying it up stairs.

6 minutes ago, Sam Clegg said:

What about the V8's handle shutoff?  If you grab that while riding presumably it will shut down the wheel right?  Otherwise it wouldn't me much good to carrying it up stairs.

That's a pretty clever implementation: the switch works as long as the wheel is at or below walking speed (I guess: <5km/h). It also gives a signal sound when it activates. Above 5km/h the switch has no function. Result: you can conveniently pick up the V8 without coming to a complete stand still, but there is no risk of activating it at riding speed. Well done!

29 minutes ago, Tilmann said:

That's a pretty clever implementation: the switch works as long as the wheel is at or below walking speed (I guess: <5km/h). It also gives a signal sound when it activates. Above 5km/h the switch has no function. Result: you can conveniently pick up the V8 without coming to a complete stand still, but there is no risk of activating it at riding speed. Well done!

I see.  Good idea.  So it seems like an instant shutdown feature is acceptable at this slow speed?  

If so, perhaps all power buttons work this way, so I don't need to hold up pedestrian traffic on my commute while I long press my power button.   Of you are about on or off an escaltor during rush hour a 2 second pause can be really annoying the rider and others around them.

24 minutes ago, Sam Clegg said:

I see.  Good idea.  So it seems like an instant shutdown feature is acceptable at this slow speed?  

If so, perhaps all power buttons work this way, so I don't need to hold up pedestrian traffic on my commute while I long press my power button.   Of you are about on or off an escaltor during rush hour a 2 second pause can be really annoying the rider and others around them.

Yes, thinking about it might, this solution will probably work for everyone:

- power button is instant off, but only at low speed.

- power button does nothing at all at high speeds (just like most models today)

No need to long press or wait at all in this scenario.

It looks like IPS i5, i5+ lacks water proofing. Has no at all.

1crsae9.jpeg

Stator looks attached to shell, so we have no parts which would cover inner space of the motor. It's exposed to water and you'll have big risk of ending up with short circuit after getting into rain.

Fix me if I wrong, please.

On the other hand we saw a couple of water proofing tests and wheels did well (f.e.)

Maybe electric parts should be covered in varnish, but i don't know. the wheel in picture above be is not mine and it failed right after getting into road hole filled with water

Amazing construction, so few parts. Really shows how conceptually simple EUCs are. Love how shell = stator, how cool is that. :wub:

Though it really does look like water/rain resistance is based  bit on luck - until that one stray drop gets somewhere and brzzz. At least the battery has a nice hard enclosure, why can't the board have one too. It almost has, just too many openings.

I guess its water resistance is not worse than other existing wheels if you look at it.

Archived