IPS i5 First Look! Ask away!

Trey Lewis

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I took some photos of it next to the Monster. The tire of the Monster is literally wider and taller than the i5. I also compared it to the MCM4 and it is clearly a lot thinner than the MCM4 but the height is close with the i5 still coming in shorter.

Unfortunately I left my camera at the store! I will try and get back with those tomorrow.

46 minutes ago, Trey Lewis said:

I took some photos of it next to the Monster. The tire of the Monster is literally wider and taller than the i5.

Someone needs to build a Matrioshka wheel where a smaller wheel is inside the stator of the bigger one, and can be taken out or put in as you like. We're not that far away from that, given available wheel sizes.

Or a twin wheel. Basically two i5s that clip together. So one person can ride them (like a wider i5) somewhere, to meet another person, and both can then continue on on their individual wheel. Perfect to pick up your kid from kindergarten/school or so! You could even automatically clip together more than 2 then. One "Clippy" for every person!

The longer I think about the latter, the less stupid it sounds...

you should record a sketch where you're walking with a backpack to your friend's house, carrying a family size cheezits box, to do some gaming. when he lets you in you set the cheezits down on his porch cuz you're like high fiving and shit. then, you're both sitting down inside and he's like, 'all right, let's own some nubz!'. so you open your backpack and pull out the ips a little... 'oh, wait a min...'... your friend's like, 'yo, what's that mang?' you're like, 'ah nothing, i thought it was my laptop - it's just my ips...' and he's like, 'you're whuuuuuut?'. you then proceed to be like, 'check it owt yo' and you bust out of his front entrance and box-jump the cheezits onto his walkway

11 hours ago, houseofjob said:

@Trey Lewis Please address the power over bumps & cracks, as this is the same 350W nominal as the similar weight 10" Gotway Luffy.

I'm wondering if the i5 experiences any overpower beeps, as the Luffy does (guessing no, on account of the bigger 14" wheel). Thanks!

I tested it a little with no beeps on bumps and cracks but I will try and be more aggressive with it tomorrow and attempt some curb drops and whatever else I decide to do to it.. I did go up a very steep incline and it beeped towards the end of it but it also got all 235lbs of my weight up it, something previous IPS wheels couldn't do.

5 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

It would be great to see how it handles going uphill with you riding it @Trey Lewis.

I will take the camera out tomorrow and get some more in depth riding, curb drops, and steep inclines. There is this very steep ramp near my house and it succeeded there, although it did beep towards the top. I thought my weight would make the wheel seem lacking but it has performed well to my surprise, good acceleration and climbing, much better than any previous wheels.

5 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

@Trey Lewis thanks for all pictures, insights & postings. What's your initial verdict on the i5? Do you think the super skinny concept works? Does it feel natural with feet so close together? Is this the variant with the 20700 cells? 

To me it feels natural. Even when my legs were very close to center it wasn't uncomfortable. I only moved my feet out to what is a more natural position because in the long run I can't imagine it is a good position to maintain. Someone told me it was weird that their thighs touched each other when riding but I never even thought about or noticed if it even happened.

I was very excited for IPS when they announced a new wheel, it was my first wheel company, but the initial design and lower specs made me very skeptical. After a day of testing it seems like a very solid wheel. One I most definitely could own for the sake of just having a wheel everywhere I go. I drive a car with two seats and no extra space at all, this is narrow enough I can tuck it behind the passenger seat and not lose any space. My ACM+ literally doesn't even fit in the trunk and if I have a passenger it is a no-go. The weight and size means I can have this basically anywhere.

Sarah from the video (or my profile photo) started on a 16 inch wheel an moved to an MCM4 as her daily. She absolutely loves the MCM4 but has been riding the i5 more than me and said she is really fond of it. It is the first wheel she has no problem carrying when needed and doesn't mind.

Yes this is the 20700 cell variant.

• Can you show the app, just screenshots of everything, and tell what you think about it? Is it a new one, or just the old one (I assume there exists an old one for IPS)
  • Can you tests speed alarms, tiltback etc (possibly at lower than standard speeds if they can be changed, can they?) and say more about what you think of them? Loud enough, pleasant or crazy tiltback, etc? (Preferably on video... preferably do everything on video;) Your first one was very informative:wub:)
  • How is the motor sound and possible whine? It seemed silent and one only hears your ACM in your first video.

Thanks again for the info here! Will you even sell the i5? 

14 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:
  • Can you show the app, just screenshots of everything, and tell what you think about it? Is it a new one, or just the old one (I assume there exists an old one for IPS)
  • Can you tests speed alarms, tiltback etc (possibly at lower than standard speeds if they can be changed, can they?) and say more about what you think of them? Loud enough, pleasant or crazy tiltback, etc? (Preferably on video... preferably do everything on video;) Your first one was very informative:wub:)
  • How is the motor sound and possible whine? It seemed silent and one only hears your ACM in your first video.

Thanks again for the info here! Will you even sell the i5? 

The app is the same as far as I can tell, I had it installed prior to getting the wheel and it worked great. Edit, they just sent me the new app for android and said the IOS app is almost complete.

The beeping is much much louder than previous IPS wheels. A nice plus. Sarah says it may be too loud, I like it as it is much safer. I haven't pushed it to tiltback yet. I think the warning beep is much closer to the top speed range of it so that you can ride without constant beeping and actually keep decent speed. A nice plus if I am correct. 

I haven't noticed any whine. Which is not entirely unsurprising considering my first ever wheel was the 121+ and it was near silent.

If it holds up to all our test than we likely will sell it. It seems like a solid addition to most peoples collections but also being capable enough to be someones only wheel if they don't need the speed or range. I wouldn't sell something I wasn't confident in though and want to really make sure the wheel is up to par. I think students in our area would love it.

On 6/15/2017 at 5:45 AM, meepmeepmayer said:

Or a twin wheel. Basically two i5s that clip together. So one person can ride them (like a wider i5) somewhere, to meet another person, and both can then continue on on their individual wheel. Perfect to pick up your kid from kindergarten/school or so! You could even automatically clip together more than 2 then. One "Clippy" for every person!

The longer I think about the latter, the less stupid it sounds...

IPS did that with Lhotz a long time ago:

IPS191+Plus.png

13 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

Any videos of someone riding the EUC hoverboard? 

Don't recall ever seeing anything but pictures, nor does anyone in the forums own two Lhotzes + whatever the bridge-part is called to my knowledge. I have suspicion it was never hugely popular, although since Lhotz's are still sold, it could be still available. Many resellers listed it as "680Wh IPS 191" or "680Wh IPS Lhotz" or whatever, but it's actually two separate 340Wh Lhotzes that can be combined through the bridge-piece.

@esaj I know, but inspired by the thinness of the i5, I meant without the bridge, the wheel bodies being like one wider body. You'd have to develop a clever firm clipping mechanism, and make it so the pedals don't block each other (maybe by having the two wheels tilted differently and the pedals designed being so they are out of each others way in clipped mode). And you could clip together 3,4,5 wheels then (5*6 cm = 30 + pedals might mayyyyyybe still be doable).

@kasenutty It's literally like a bigger hoverboard. If you want a decent big tires hoverboard for uneven ground, not the worst idea! Here's a (the only I think) video (German):

7 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

@Trey Lewis The video here also shows the white front light. Does it also have red lights, and it changes depending on direction (like the Kingsongs?). Or are lights on both ends only white?

There is a red light on the back that is always on. I actually just found out that instead of using the app to turn the headlight on and off you can stop moving and tilt the wheel 15 degrees either direction to turn the light on and off. I don't think the red light in back can be turned off. Also just from riding around in my house the headlight seems bright, I will try and take it out tonight now that I am feeling better (Food poisoning, bleh).

1 hour ago, Slaughthammer said:

At which speed does the beeping start? As it still uses the iamips app, beeps won't be customisable? Lift cutoff speed?

I haven't tested it yet because I was told there was a new app and waited for the link. Download is at iamips.com and I will give it a shot and tell you the speeds and post some screens today (Saturday).

On 16/6/2017 at 5:39 PM, esaj said:

IPS did that with Lhotz a long time ago:

IPS191+Plus.png

Yes, that did that but didn't catch up for several reasons I guess such as price and weight of the link. I think you will be looking at a 30kg system with 2 LHOTZs and a link. If anyone intends to do that again, definitely they need to design a sync mechanism so that both EUC sync the speeds and reduce speed adjustment sensitivity on higher speeds in order to keep it stable. I'm not sure if this is implemented on 2 wheel hoverboards but surely earlier versions did make it hard to control direction on higher speeds since you need to manage 2 motors separately.

@meepmeepmayer this is your idea of 2 joint EUCs I guess https://goo.gl/Dgb4a8

Archived