Jump to content
John Eucist

IPS ZERO

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, csmyers said:

Coming from a bigger wheel, I agree it feels more twitchy! I also love how lightweight it is, perfect for carrying around.

I would just warn you against quick acceleration in general, especially on low battery. People have graphed the available torque on the motor, and it drops off quickly after about 12 km/h. 

Regarding turning, I manage tight turns by bending my outside leg and tilting the wheel dramatically while steering from my shoulders, rather than steering exclusively from my upper body. The 14" wheel diameter is really great for maneuvering!

Happy riding!

I agree fully that it is the contrast with the larger wheel that emphasizes the twitchiness.  Nothing else is as light and compact as the Zero though. 

One point on the quick acceleration.  The available torque did drop (almost in half) at about 16km/h according to the Russian dyno study, but that study used a motorcycle inertial drum which would be equivalent to having a 500lb rider on the Zero (I'm 150 lb).   I've been experimenting with ac & de -celeration with my Zero almost since I got it, and I do not notice a dramatic difference at speed.  Nonetheless, it's a 340Wh EUC that goes 30km/h, and no other manufacturer does 30km/h with such a small motor and battery.  So there is reason for suspicion.   I have an EagleTree datalogger that I'm going to install in the Zero whenever I get motivated to open it up.  This will allow me to see the power curves.  I haven't been able to make the speed and temperature sensors on the logger work yet, so I'll plan to get those to work before opening the Zero.  

Edited by Chris Westland

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chris Westland said:

The available torque did drop (almost in half) at about 16km/h according to the Russian dyno study, but that study used a motorcycle inertial drum which would be equivalent to having a 500lb rider on the Zero (I'm 150 lb).

That Russian test was only good to get a rough estimate of the max power output. Nothing else can be securely interpreted into those curves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Slaughthammer said:

That Russian test was only good to get a rough estimate of the max power output. Nothing else can be securely interpreted into those curves.

I agree ... I've actually planned a torque (vs. inertial) dyno test of my Zero to see what I get with, say, a 70kg inertial load.  I'll report whenever it happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/1/2016 at 0:45 AM, Cloud said:

Lhotz owners say there are a few speed warning beeps starting at 22 and up that you cant turn off by programming

That's weird. I have 2 Lhotzs, and neither has ever beeped except in one situation: left turned on in upright position motionless for more than (approximately) 2 minutes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MaxLinux said:

That's weird. I have 2 Lhotzs, and neither has ever beeped except in one situation: left turned on in upright position motionless for more than (approximately) 2 minutes.

So you never went above 22 kph... Not weird at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


@csmyers, I've been experimenting a bit more with the IPS Zero and find I can actually steer tight turns without dipping the pedal into the ground (most of the time :o).  I'm not sure exactly how to describe it, but rather than forward weighting the inside pedal while back weighting the outside, I front weight both, with slightly more weight on the inside.   I can add an extra push from my shoulders, but have found that a smooth turn is pretty easy this way.  The IPS being lighter and smaller is much more maneuverable than the V8, but the technique is different.  When you have more mass, you need to flow with the turn (I can only imagine how a Gotway Monster feels).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Chris Westland said:

I'm not sure exactly how to describe it, but rather than forward weighting the inside pedal while back weighting the outside, I front weight both, with slightly more weight on the inside.

I actually go even further: in turns I forward weight the outer pedal and backward weight the inner pedal. I started this technique in order to prevent my front foot catching the ground with weight. Then I found that it also seems to make tighter turns more natural.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mono said:

I actually go even further: in turns I forward weight the outer pedal and backward weight the inner pedal. I started this technique in order to prevent my front foot catching the ground with weight. Then I found that it also seems to make tighter turns more natural.

That works, and I'm still experimenting with this.  I was also front weighting the inside, back weighting the outside, but occasionally catching the inside pedal on the ground; I feel with the forward weighting of both pedals I can get a tighter turn.  Nothing definitive yet ... I'm still experimenting, and will report back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/3/2016 at 9:48 AM, Dimacus said:

everytime you turn off\on IPS ZERO again, lamp becomes off, and you need to open app, connect via bluetooth and turn it up by hand again.

 

 

This is the case with the IPS 191 Lhotz too. Yueyue from IPS told me there is no way to save this "ON" setting. I turn my wheel on and off too many times to re-connect the app every time just so my lamp can be on. It's disappointing but not a deal-breaker for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could anyone help me? I have an IPS ZERO 260Wh, I charge the battery and only charge up to 90%, I start riding and when it reaches 60% it starts to beep constantly jumping back and becoming uncontrollable, forcing me to reset, then I ride again and in less than a minute it beeps again making it impossible to continue. When it happens App shows this message "Battery lower than under voltage"

 

 

4810d404-890f-40ee-b5b1-95f50940d04a.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, RoberAce said:

Could anyone help me? I have an IPS ZERO 260Wh, I charge the battery and only charge up to 90%, I start riding and when it reaches 60% it starts to beep constantly jumping back and becoming uncontrollable, forcing me to reset, then I ride again and in less than a minute it beeps again making it impossible to continue. When it happens App shows this message "Battery lower than under voltage"

 

 

4810d404-890f-40ee-b5b1-95f50940d04a.png

I would say, one or more cells in the battery are damaged ... 

I'm afraid battery needs to be changed !

I had the same issue on my wheel from a different brand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/11/2018 at 1:46 PM, RoberAce said:

Could anyone help me? I have an IPS ZERO 260Wh, I charge the battery and only charge up to 90%, I start riding and when it reaches 60% it starts to beep constantly jumping back and becoming uncontrollable, forcing me to reset, then I ride again and in less than a minute it beeps again making it impossible to continue. When it happens App shows this message "Battery lower than under voltage"

When charged to 90%, go in the app to the settings, than tap the voltage reading several times until a table of voltages appear. Post that table here, than we can tell for sure if you got a bad cell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/14/2018 at 2:44 PM, Slaughthammer said:

When charged to 90%, go in the app to the settings, than tap the voltage reading several times until a table of voltages appear. Post that table here, than we can tell for sure if you got a bad cell.

I hope it's okay to post my table. I'm having the same issue and when I followed the steps to get the data and what I saw really surprised me. 

Can you tell me anything from this table?

Thanks.

Screenshot_20190504-182713~2.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/5/2019 at 3:32 AM, Freewheeler said:

I hope it's okay to post my table. I'm having the same issue and when I followed the steps to get the data and what I saw really surprised me. 

Can you tell me anything from this table?

Thanks.

Screenshot_20190504-182713~2.png

The voltage reading as suggested @Slaughthammer works only with the IPS LHOTZ as far as what I tested. Forgot if it worked with the i5 As I have that wheel on the other side of the world but the i3(ZERO) shows them all 0 and it doesn't give you much information unfortunately

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just got a IPS Zero second hand. I really would like to get the app that works with the Zero. I tried downloading 3-4 different apps, one of them found me wheel but did not display any info, it was also in chines which made it hard to use. Last owner did not know anything about an app. My wheel was sold in Sweden by a Swedish company that re branded it to MonoWheel. If anyone could help that would be really appreciated.

IMG-20200721-145119.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 @Bagheera

There are several "versions" of the IPS app, and different versions work (or don't work) depending on the version of your wheel. 

If you go to https://www.roll.nz/content/22-apps there are a few choices for you to try. I suggest you start with v1.2 - that has a splash-screen of a person holding a wheel and once opened has the orange and white colour scheme.

Let us know how you get on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/21/2020 at 6:21 PM, Pengloong said:

There are several "versions" of the IPS app, and different versions work (or don't work) depending on the version of your wheel. 

If you go to https://www.roll.nz/content/22-apps there are a few choices for you to try. I suggest you start with v1.2 - that has a splash-screen of a person holding a wheel and once opened has the orange and white colour scheme.

Let us know how you get on.

Hi, I just tried all 3 apps, none of them found my wheel. Not sure if I am doing it correctly, I powered up the wheel when I was testing the apps, refreshed a few times in ever app, but nothing came up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...