IPS ZERO

John Eucist

3 hours ago, playdad said:

I finished up my own "protective padding" for the Zero. But I'm probably not going to post it here because of how ugly it looks compared to Sky's. LOL :lol: I just wanted to stick that stuff on and get going!

@Skylightica

Well, you do have beautiful hands too. ;) We definitely need more ladies here! Wait... did you just say I have low standards? :(

I have a dog and she is a girl @playdad.:D:D

Just now, playdad said:

Thank you, boys and girls. :P

I will now venture to take my first tumble on the Zero today. I have zero (play intended) EUC experience thus far.. only lots of "hover"board experience, hence the need for protection. :D

Best way to learn is to have someone hold your hand and assist you until you can let go.

10 hours ago, SlowMo said:

Best way to learn is to have someone hold your hand and assist you until you can let go.

Well, I couldn't trouble anyone to do that today and my son isn't big enough to support me so I tried using the wall instead. Wow it's such a big change from hoverboard that tends to require you balance the front/back tilt and keeping both legs in sync.On the EUC, it's obviously more like a bike with one wheel!

At any rate, getting both feet on was a challenge at first but I watched a youtube video about the triangle method and that helped. I was mounting easily after 20mins or so but after an hour, I could only go about 3-4 metres before the wheel would come to a stop due to my losing balance again. Actually the hand on the wall can sometimes be a psychological handicap as you try to use that to prop yourself rather than use your body's natural balance. But everything takes time eh!?

I found my left foot was taking the brunt of impact from my continued stomping on it.. and it was starting to feel it! So I ended it after 60mins as I had a dinner to get to. It was fun but I will certainly require a couple more hours to get some real balance. (It took me about 2 hours to go straight on a hoverboard without stopping every few metres) I think a pair of runners with good cushioning would help too! My flat canvas shoes were a poor choice to start on!

Thanks to using the BELT... my EUC didn't fall at all. The only real damage was my shoes putting dirt on the sides. It was a good workout too! I was perspiring despite only having a polo-t and a light jacket on in a basement carpark with ambient temp about 15 deg C LOL

To be continued...

Edited by playdad
  • Upvote 1

When I first trying to mount on my T260,  my senior told me:  No learning wheel,  do not put any protective foam on your new wheel, use only the belt.( they Wan me to feel the unicycle reaction)   The belt is not prevent the unicycle from flying off after u fall but to help u readjust the position in between your legs before you mount so that I do not have to bend my back so many times to adjust it. 

I heed their advice. ..  No wall or human support.  Just plan take off mounting.  I fall,  fall, almost sprain.  End up I spend 1hr 15mins to learning mounting and wheeling. 

Physical case of wheel is replaceable.  Most importantly is not to injure yourself. When there is the time to release your belt..  Release... . ? 

Edited by Gary Wu

I rode in an open space for the first time yesterday! The battery life is impressive, 8km in 2 hours only used 10% of the battery capacity! This is obviously ideal testing conditions with a smooth indoor terrain, a light rider, and a new battery, but still, it was good to see that the limiting factor to distance is not the Zero, but me.

Interestingly, I found the feeling of 'relaxing' to balance to be similar on the electric and on the regular unicycle. Both times it was like the skill clicked into place, and once you figure it out, you're all of a sudden less wobbly. Both types of unis require engaging the core muscles and relaxing the upper body and legs while visualizing your weight to fall below your hips, though it's more exaggerated on the regular uni than the electric uni. On the regular uni, doing this will allow you to put as much weight as possible on the seat. Thinking about those steps makes achieving the right movement easier than directly thinking about the goal of putting more weight on the seat. Anyhow, it was cool to note that my unicycle instincts for staying upright and making turns using the hips transferred over to the EUC as well! Making tight turns by bending the outer leg is a new skill I still need to learn.

Yesterday was also superb exercise... in weight lifting. The sidewalks were slick with ice, so I carried the Zero 20-30 min by slinging the belt across my body distribute the weight between my left shoulder. my right outer thigh, and my right hand. It was doable but generally horrible.

All in all, my right arm muscles are sore, my right thigh is bruised, and as of this morning I can't straighten my left leg without pain on the back of my knee (hopefully just a mild overuse injury), but practicing yesterday was so much fun!! Btw, has anyone had experience riding on sidewalks with bits of ice? ;) 

7 minutes ago, Skylightica said:

I rode in an open space for the first time yesterday! The battery life is impressive, 8km in 2 hours only used 10% of the battery capacity! This is obviously ideal testing conditions with a smooth indoor terrain, a light rider, and a new battery, but still, it was good to see that the limiting factor to distance is not the Zero, but me.

Interestingly, I found the feeling of 'relaxing' to balance to be similar on the electric and on the regular unicycle. Both times it was like the skill clicked into place, and once you figure it out, you're all of a sudden less wobbly. Both types of unis require engaging the core muscles and relaxing the upper body and legs while visualizing your weight to fall below your hips, though it's more exaggerated on the regular uni than the electric uni. On the regular uni, doing this will allow you to put as much weight as possible on the seat. Thinking about those steps makes achieving the right movement easier than directly thinking about the goal of putting more weight on the seat. Anyhow, it was cool to note that my unicycle instincts for staying upright and making turns using the hips transferred over to the EUC as well! Making tight turns by bending the outer leg is a new skill I still need to learn.

Yesterday was also superb exercise... in weight lifting. The sidewalks were slick with ice, so I carried the Zero 20-30 min by slinging the belt across my body distribute the weight between my left shoulder. my right outer thigh, and my right hand. It was doable but generally horrible.

All in all, my right arm muscles are sore, my right thigh is bruised, and as of this morning I can't straighten my left leg without pain on the back of my knee (hopefully just a mild overuse injury), but practicing yesterday was so much fun!! Btw, has anyone had experience riding on sidewalks with bits of ice? ;) 

When you have used up the battery please let us know the total mileage ridden, your weight, battery capacity and the riding conditions. Thanks!

11 minutes ago, Cloud said:

When you have used up the battery please let us know the total mileage ridden, your weight, battery capacity and the riding conditions. Thanks!

Hmm... I think I've heard that before.:rolleyes: For you the MCM4-HS is more ideal. It has an 800w motor and a very good battery/mileage combination. Just don't exceed the max speed and your ok. Better yet, get the new MSuper.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SlowMo said:

Hmm... I think I've heard that before.:rolleyes: For you the MCM4-HS is more ideal. It has an 800w motor and a very good battery/mileage combination. Just don't exceed the max speed and your ok. Better yet, get the new MSuper.

Yep, i ask everyone for their distance range.

To ask me not to exceed the max speed is like asking The sun not to shine

yes msuper is on my list :) as well as kingsong 18". waiting for confirmation on the safe high speed tiltback:)

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, playdad said:

I'm inclined to think the light in atmosphere mode will likely be "safer" in cold weather... ie. avoiding unwanted shutdowns etc.

Yes, It will surely conserve power. My dead Ninebot One was the most power hungry.

3 hours ago, Skylightica said:

We want videos! :P

Vee73 is the ice rider (he is suited up like a knight though) on this forum. Considering how slippery ice is for walking and driving (which are far safer than balancing on one wheel), I'd advise against it.

Edited by playdad