IPS ZERO

John Eucist

5 hours ago, Jurgen said:

The batteries seem to be the most limiting factor in a good wheel, and are a potential hazard if they're not high quality.

I'm not entirely at ease with the fact that even IPS now moves to chinese batt to cut cost (improve margin?) without any transparency about this.

@Jurgen

To be fair to IPS, I don't believe they advertised an imported branded battery? I know several other EUC brands did. Since they didn't advertise one, they didn't exactly deceive anyone. Perhaps most people just assumed IPS would use an imported quality battery of known brand. :D

4 hours ago, Gabriel said:

Btw: I heard a lot about Tony in this forum and some issues others members had. Actually, I asked a quote from him as well and there is not so much difference between Tony (ipselectricunicycle.com) and official iamips.com. The only difference is that Tony offers additionally wire transfer which saves you the Paypal fees that you have to pay when ordering by official IPS store. But when I consider what happend to my order I am happy I did it over the official store. Additionally the 340 wh battery was assembled just for this order so it means you are guaranteed to get one of the latest produced models out of the chain.  

@Gabriel

Glad to hear you got your money back. That's the advantage of Paypal despite the extra fees. You can't force someone to refund a bank transfer. Honestly, I would never trust an unknown party with a bank transfer after my experience in China.

Edited by playdad

3 hours ago, Paul Panait said:

I love this Euc since is lightweight and it charges within the hour. The speed is nice since goes up to 30kph, however 25kph is a nice riding experience. The acceleration is nice and since is only 14" it gives a lot of maneuverability in small spaces or sharp turns. I had no more problems with cut outs since i kind of know when they are about to happen. 

On the other hand on the cold weather as 3-4 celsius, I have noticed that i can't go more than 4km in one full charge with average speed of 20-24kph. My battery will be completely empty for about 10 min and then i still have like 40% battery. Then go again max 2km more  then have a small cigarette brake for 10 min and i can go for 2 more, maybe. :) 

Fortunately i dont make trips longer than 3-4 km at a time and then i will put it on charge again. 

I strongly cosider a battery pack of 260Wh high quality and custom made so I can squeeze through the airport as well with it. But i would rather pay for a super good pack that would not have such a big voltage drop. So not Ips for that matter, maybe anything better? Need to look for something in the spring. 

@Paul Panait

Sounds like you're really enjoying the Zero. Wow, 4km range in that weather? That's a concern for sure. It gets down to around Zero deg C here too (Beijing) in Winter. So the Zero doesn't do well around Zero deg C. Haha ok lame joke! :D So I guess that's a battery quality issue and perhaps not just capacity. I guess this wheel does better in Summer/Autumn.

So as long as you accelerate gently, you can get to 30km/h still on the 130wh. Nice! Thanks for the review!!

Edited by playdad

14 hours ago, Gabriel said:

Guys, there is no delivery possible at the moment!

maybe this is of interest for someone interested in IPS Zero or other IPS models but it turns out that my order for an IPS Zero 340 from iamips.com (official factory) could not be delivered :angry:

it seems that the chinese customs rejected my (and other) wheels in the freight because they were assimilated to hoverboard which have bad reputation at the moment (batteries catching fire, explosion,..). So now I have valid reason to really hate these hoverboards ...

I was luckily refunded without any problem from IPS but nevertheless I will spend my Christmas wheel...less .... :(

IPS informed me that they will contact me when a possible shipment is possible 

so, waiting ...

Btw: I heard a lot about Tony in this forum and some issues others members had. Actually, I asked a quote from him as well and there is not so much difference between Tony (ipselectricunicycle.com) and official iamips.com. The only difference is that Tony offers additionally wire transfer which saves you the Paypal fees that you have to pay when ordering by official IPS store. But when I consider what happend to my order I am happy I did it over the official store. Additionally the 340 wh battery was assembled just for this order so it means you are guaranteed to get one of the latest produced models out of the chain.  

@gabriel, you got the contact person from iamps.com from the link on their website (Contact IPS)?  i am interested with the 132 or 113 for my 1st wheel?  

thanks a lot.

Hi! Newbie here with a shiny new 260wh IPS-Zero. I've been riding analogue unicycles for the past 2 years while I waited for the perfect EU to buy - this feels like it could be it!

I have several ideas for making a fashionable removable case to minimize damage to the paint without gluing anything to the plastic. I can make a video tutorial if anyone is interested.

If you have a Zero that's been though a lot, could you post a picture so I can get an idea of where the case needs to be reinforced? Thanks a ton!

Edited by Skylightica

7 minutes ago, Skylightica said:

Hi! Newbie here with a shiny new 260wh IPS-Zero. I've been riding analogue unicycles for the past 2 years to hone my balance skills while I waited for the perfect EU to buy - this feels like it could be it!

I have several ideas for making a fashionable removable case to minimize damage to the paint without gluing anything to the plastic. I can make a video tutorial if anyone is interested.

If you have a Zero that's been though a lot, could you post a picture so I can get an idea of where the case needs to be reinforced? Thanks a ton!

The material you are planning to use should be impact and scratch resistant otherwise it would still bear damage. Scratches occur mainly when unexpected dismounts happen which drops the Zero to its sides and touches the cemented pavements.It can also happen just by accidentally losing grip while holding the Zero during transport. Please show us an image sample of how you plan to do it. :)

Edited by SlowMo

32 minutes ago, SlowMo said:

The material you are planning to use should be impact and scratch resistant otherwise it would still bear damage. Scratches occur mainly when unexpected dismounts happen which drops the Zero to its sides and touches the cemented pavements.It can also happen just by accidentally losing grip while holding the Zero during transport. Please show us an image sample of how you plan to do it. :)

Custom stencils, layers of non-slip mats, velcro, elastic, and glue. The exact implementation will evolve as I try things out. I will hit up some hardware stores to see if I can find the rubber strips that Paul Panait used for his Zero in page 12 & 13 of this thread. I don't know what it is, but it looks amazingly sturdy.

IMG_0141.JPG

Edited by Skylightica

Here's my Zero now after receiving plenty of hits. I replaced the ugly padding with an uglier one coming from a sit-up device. It is so comfortable to the legs that I don't mind it looking that ugly. Anyway the owner is also ugly so what to expect. :D

znwn7s.jpg

Edited by SlowMo

Thanks! It still looks white and clean. Looks like it's mostly the cushion part, the pedals, and the lights that gets the minor scratches, yea? That white strip in the centre -- does it get hits too, especially near the bottom?

Edited by Skylightica

Just now, Skylightica said:

Mm, it still looks white and clean. Looks like it's mostly it's the cushion part, the petals, and the lights that gets the minor scratches, yea? That white strip in the centre -- does it get hits too, especially near the bottom?

It's mostly the sides and bottom part of the pedals, the bottom part near the sides of the pedals and around 1" perimeter coming from the led plastic panel.

1 hour ago, SlowMo said:

Here is the seller's reply regarding the battery of my Zero:

" Yes, 340wh is using Sony US18650NC1 batteries  "

Yup, we have heard that the 340wh is using Sony or Panasonic. But I meant the 130/240/260wh. Those are the ones advertised on the site (not the 340wh) and they don't mention any specific brand of battery. :( I was responding to Jurgen who saw the Xima line and it's ads for branded imported batteries.

Edited by playdad

40 minutes ago, SlowMo said:

Just get the Zero and have some fun.

@SlowMo,

Yeah, I will probably be getting the ZERO. I've been waiting for updates to previous reviews actually. :P

My main concern with the ZERO related to the previous pictures of poor finishing quality (or QC) in the internals. Lots of messy hot glue used and watertight box (for control board?) that wasn't very watertight at all due to alignments being forced etc. That was in contrast to the how nicely the Inmotion V5 was put together. Too bad the max speed on that one is quite low.

But I guess a lack of complaints here on this thread is a good sign too. People tend to come on forums if they have issues.

And here's Slowmo's updated experience with his ZERO... copied into this thread so it gets seen!

19 minutes ago, SlowMo said:

My initial impression did not change until now. I currently had 290km mileage on it and never experienced any shutdown till now. There was a time when I noticed the Zero coming like very soft on the ride which was quickly fixed by just a simple balance adjustment using the app. I was riding the zero last night with low battery (low yellow lights). When I'm at a stand still, the battery level showed 20% and once running it goes up to 30-35%. Maybe it's regenerating? I did not go much further and headed back home. The soft foam padding obtained from my old sit up machine is like a pillow to my legs but doesn't make them sleepy. :P

3 hours ago, playdad said:

@SlowMo,

Yeah, I will probably be getting the ZERO. I've been waiting for updates to previous reviews actually. :P

My main concern with the ZERO related to the previous pictures of poor finishing quality (or QC) in the internals. Lots of messy hot glue used and watertight box (for control board?) that wasn't very watertight at all due to alignments being forced etc. That was in contrast to the how nicely the Inmotion V5 was put together. Too bad the max speed on that one is quite low.

But I guess a lack of complaints here on this thread is a good sign too. People tend to come on forums if they have issues.

And here's Slowmo's updated experience with his ZERO... copied into this thread so it gets seen!

So Zero shut down on you SloMo?

Edited by Cloud

On 21/12/2015 at 6:36 AM, Skylightica said:

Custom stencils, layers of non-slip mats, velcro, elastic, and glue. The exact implementation will evolve as I try things out. I will hit up some hardware stores to see if I can find the rubber strips that Paul Panait used for his Zero in page 12 & 13 of this thread. I don't know what it is, but it looks amazingly sturdy.

IMG_0141.JPG

As soon as I get home I'll take some pictures. I can show you the points where it gets scratched. 

I have used the rubber that you use around doors and windows but not the one like a tube but the flat one. Comes by meter roll and about 15m later you get the perfect cover :)

19 hours ago, Paul Panait said:

As soon as I get home I'll take some pictures. I can show you the points where it gets scratched. 

I have used the rubber that you use around doors and windows but not the one like a tube but the flat one. Comes by meter roll and about 15m later you get the perfect cover :)

Yes, yes!!! I'd love to see photos! Does this weatherstripping come in roll that's a big flat sheet or a thin strip?

1 minute ago, triad88 said:

@SlowMo your peddles are really damaged. 

I just did a small mod to the unit. Yes i still ride with the strap bc i dont have to bend over every time i step off. Going into stores i use the strap over mine shoulder. 

That is the plastic protective sheet wrapping. The dark areas are dirt stuck to the adhesive. The pedals are good. What mod are you talking about?