Jump to content
John Eucist

IPS ZERO

Recommended Posts

I did 20km today, great fun. 

Hmmm... My EUC is not dangerous for me. Not at all. It is dangerous for a car drivers who are not focus on the road when they see IPS in action... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25.11.2015, 18:03:25, Trailseeker said:

Unfortunately the CyanogenMod-Version 12.1-20150617-UNOFFICIAL-i9100 is not working well on the S2.

I have to write some correction: The first steps with the new CyanogenMod was a bit "rought".

After some learning and correction I am more and more excited as the power consumtion is very, very low now.

The battery lasts four to five times the previous original Android 4.1.2. Only the camera app is scrap.

 

Did my first ride with the Zero without any help or tools. Max. speed 8 km/h after 15 minutes. Only to jump onto and off the

Zero is still very tricky. After half an hour my feed start hurting and I stopped the ride (also it started snowing heavily).

The first steps on even ground after riding Zero were tricky :-))

I think I need another two to three hours until I can manoveuver savely.

Edited by Trailseeker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just wanted to mention that there's a 240WH variant of the Zero available in China for a particular local reseller. It sells at a significant discount of US$150. So it would be best you can double check you got the right item (260WH). There's probably no way to tell short of opening it up and checking the batts.

Would someone smart enough be able to explain why a drop of 20WH might allow such a significant discount. I mean this local reseller takes a cut and they need to cut costs since its also priced lower but there must be a reason a reduction of costs going 20WH lower might allow such a hit in price and profit.

 

 

 

Edited by playdad
Wrong USD amount corrected

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, playdad said:

I just wanted to mention that there's a 240WH variant of the Zero available in China for a particular local reseller. It sells at a significant discount of US$150. So it would be best you can double check you got the right item (260WH). There's probably no way to tell short of opening it up and checking the batts.

Would someone smart enough be able to explain why a drop of 20WH might allow such a significant discount. I mean this local reseller takes a cut and they need to cut costs since its also priced lower but there must be a reason a reduction of costs going 20WH lower might allow such a hit in price and profit.

 

 

 

It should be a typing error on the part of the seller. The variants are 130wh, 260wh and 340wh. 260wh typically sells for 420usd (Tony's price).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, it is not a typo. It is correctly stated as 240WH. It's clearly replied to on the site that their version has a 240WH battery vs 260 of the standard version. (ignoring 130WH). It was clarified as naturally having a slightly reduced range and battery life.

As for the $150, this is not the price but the discount in the item price. It sells for about US$310 on the reseller site vs IPS themselves listing it for about US$460. (all converted from CNY)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, playdad said:

No, it is not a typo. It is correctly stated as 240WH. It's clearly replied to on the site that their version has a 240WH battery vs 260 of the standard version. (ignoring 130WH). It was clarified as naturally having a slightly reduced range and battery life.

As for the $150, this is not the price but the discount in the item price. It sells for about US$310 on the reseller site vs IPS themselves listing it for about US$460. (all converted from CNY)

Think of it this way, they bought the units without batteries from the factory in bulk and manufactured their own batteries (which would entail additional labor cost) and installed poor quality batteries also bought in bulk. But I doubt that IPS would sell them the units without the batteries since IPS would be responsible for the product quality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, playdad said:

Would someone smart enough be able to explain why a drop of 20WH might allow such a significant discount. I mean this local reseller takes a cut and they need to cut costs since its also priced lower but there must be a reason a reduction of costs going 20WH lower might allow such a hit in price and profit.

Hard to say for sure, but I'd suspect the cells are of lower quality than the ones used normally... there's more to Li-Ion cells than just the capacity.

Edited by esaj
typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, playdad said:

No, it is not a typo. It is correctly stated as 240WH. It's clearly replied to on the site that their version has a 240WH battery vs 260 of the standard version. (ignoring 130WH). It was clarified as naturally having a slightly reduced range and battery life.

As for the $150, this is not the price but the discount in the item price. It sells for about US$310 on the reseller site vs IPS themselves listing it for about US$460. (all converted from CNY)

So what is the website ?? let us know !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SlowMo said:

Think of it this way, they bought the units without batteries from the factory in bulk and manufactured their own batteries (which would entail additional labor cost) and installed poor quality batteries also bought in bulk. But I doubt that IPS would sell them the units without the batteries since IPS would be responsible for the product quality.

I don't think this is likely either. The reseller isn't experienced with EUCs and is simply a huge local online mall. (think China's Amazon and it sells the EUC direct rather than 3rd party) And so yeah, it's quite dangerous for IPS to be leaving such mods to a mall. So if anything, it should be with IPS involved. Probably providing a cheaper version since it sells lower and the mall takes a cut.

5 hours ago, esaj said:

Hard to say for sure, but I'd suspect the cells are of lower quality than the ones used normally... there's more to Li-Ion cells than just the capacity.

I guess that's a possibility. There must be a reason for the different WH rating. They list their 260WH at a higher price on their own sales channels. Hence why I'm hesitating about buying the 240WH version despite only a 20WH drop.

8 minutes ago, Pagsy said:

So what is the website ?? let us know !

PMing you to avoid listing sites. Take note this is a China-wide online mall akin to Amazon. It doesn't generally ship internationally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, playdad said:

PMing you to avoid listing sites. Take note this is a China-wide online mall akin to Amazon. It doesn't generally ship internationally.

If you have listed the site in the first place, our discussion would have been more productive and not like you are keeping a secret from us.

It should be like this:

"I found a site selling IPS Zero 240wh for cheap. Check this out!"

http://product.yesky.com/product/966/966445/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello everybody, 

I have been riding EU for about six months now and love everything about it. I've gotten to the point where I can comfortably jump up and down sidewalks and carry a suitcase while riding in suit and tie on my commutes to work. Its cool to catch all the looks on the street... I currently have a TG T3, which luckily have had no issues like described from sudden shutdown, etc. The only thing i dislike, is the shot battery life and top speed. Not bad for a starter uni, but now i have finally decided to make the investment and buy the ips zero 340. My brother bought the xima lhotz and was trying to convince me to buy it, but the size and weight are key points for me. I carry it in a backpack while taking public transport. I bought it from iamips instead of Tony, mainly because he said he couldn't ship to my country (Colombia).

So now I feel super excited and eager to get this new electric missile, and hope I can be posting a cool video showing you my commute to work...

This is a great forum and I want to congratulate all who provide great info, pics, and stories!

Dan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SlowMo said:

If you have listed the site in the first place, our discussion would have been more productive and not like you are keeping a secret from us.

It should be like this:

"I found a site selling IPS Zero 240wh for cheap. Check this out!"

http://product.yesky.com/product/966/966445/

Hi Slowmo,

That's not the site but it actually pulls the item from the actual site. The actual site is the one linked below named "jd.com". I initially thought you found a 2nd seller with the same reduced battery! So it's still this one reseller stocking it.

I do not want to post these Chinese links as I do not want to give the false impression that they are a potential source of EUCs. It doesn't ship internationally. My reason for posting the existence of this 240WH version is rather to warn you guys about ahem possible mixups.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dansalinas said:

Hello everybody, 

I have been riding EU for about six months now and love everything about it. I've gotten to the point where I can comfortably jump up and down sidewalks and carry a suitcase while riding in suit and tie on my commutes to work. Its cool to catch all the looks on the street... I currently have a TG T3, which luckily have had no issues like described from sudden shutdown, etc. The only thing i dislike, is the shot battery life and top speed. Not bad for a starter uni, but now i have finally decided to make the investment and buy the ips zero 340. My brother bought the xima lhotz and was trying to convince me to buy it, but the size and weight are key points for me. I carry it in a backpack while taking public transport. I bought it from iamips instead of Tony, mainly because he said he couldn't ship to my country (Colombia).

So now I feel super excited and eager to get this new electric missile, and hope I can be posting a cool video showing you my commute to work...

This is a great forum and I want to congratulate all who provide great info, pics, and stories!

Dan.

Congratulations! You have made a wise choice! Keep us posted with your impressions with the Zero. :)

Edited by SlowMo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, playdad said:

Hi Slowmo,

That's not the site but it actually pulls the item from the actual site. The actual site is the one linked below named "jd.com". I initially thought you found a 2nd seller with the same reduced battery! So it's still this one reseller stocking it.

I do not want to post these Chinese links as I do not want to give the false impression that they are a potential source of EUCs. It doesn't ship internationally. My reason for posting the existence of this 240WH version is rather to warn you guys about ahem possible mixups.

 

So now that I have checked with my friend from Taobao, he also sells the same refurbished units for around USD 305.00. Basically it means that these units were the defective units returned from the initial production and you can get them for cheap. Why not grab one as your practice unit? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, SlowMo said:

So now that I have checked with my friend from Taobao, he also sells the same refurbished units for around USD 305.00. Basically it means that these units were the defective units returned from the initial production and you can get them for cheap. Why not grab one as your practice unit? 

I don't want to sidetrack this discussion on the Zero but you're saying these are refurbished and outfitted with a cheaper battery? Hmmmm... I do kind of doubt this very reputable mall (in general) is going to do that themselves but unless you're saying IPS is in on the game! The reviews so far have been pretty good but there have been a rare few cases of guys complaining there were scratches on their units (but it could be the returned units too as they do generally have a return policy). At any rate, this doesn't give me a very good vibe. Do you have a URL of your friend's units you can send me via PM?

I am most likely going for a Gotway MCM4 right now. Thanks!!!

A

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, playdad said:

I don't want to sidetrack this discussion on the Zero but you're saying these are refurbished and outfitted with a cheaper battery? Hmmmm... I do kind of doubt this very reputable mall (in general) is going to do that themselves but unless you're saying IPS is in on the game! The reviews so far have been pretty good but there have been a rare few cases of guys complaining there were scratches on their units (but it could be the returned units too as they do generally have a return policy). At any rate, this doesn't give me a very good vibe. Do you have a URL of your friend's units you can send me via PM?

I am most likely going for a Gotway MCM4 right now. Thanks!!!

A

Sorry but he doesn't sell Gotway units.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SlowMo said:

Sorry but he doesn't sell Gotway units.

Uh, I meant for his "refurbed" Zeros. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, playdad said:

Uh, I meant for his "refurbed" Zeros. :P

You will not find any Zero in his online store. He sells direct to customers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alrighty thanks!

Still have 2 weeks to decide on the final EUC to purchase. (my bday heh heh)

Forums are great for learning but they also lead to analysis paralysis. Every brand has issues, pros and cons. Zzz :unsure:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, playdad said:

Alrighty thanks!

Still have 2 weeks to decide on the final EUC to purchase. (my bday heh heh)

Forums are great for learning but they also lead to analysis paralysis. Every brand has issues, pros and cons. Zzz :unsure:

You have several options namely, Ninebot One E+, Kingsong 14C 800w, Inmotion V5+, IPS models and MCM4 among others. You are very lucky to be in the right place to buy these products for cheap. Have a look at the Inmotion V5+. It's cheap and beautiful.

Here is my friend's store. You can inquire from him he is very accommodating.

https://shop58000004.world.taobao.com/?spm=a312a.7728556.2015080705.1.gizpwF

Edited by SlowMo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, playdad said:

I don't want to sidetrack this discussion on the Zero but you're saying these are refurbished and outfitted with a cheaper battery? Hmmmm... I do kind of doubt this very reputable mall (in general) is going to do that themselves but unless you're saying IPS is in on the game! The reviews so far have been pretty good but there have been a rare few cases of guys complaining there were scratches on their units (but it could be the returned units too as they do generally have a return policy). At any rate, this doesn't give me a very good vibe.

Here's a screenshot of the english translation  of the promotion of the Chinese mall mentioning "internal explosion models list" :lol:

293vivr.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Slowmo, LOL!

While that does sound dangerous, it actually means something along the lines of explosive sale that will clear inventory or something akin to that. I might try to grab the discounted unit if it turns out to be nice and cheap. It's a limited grab thingy.

Edited by playdad
reword

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...