IPS ZERO

John Eucist

Design is very good. But... Max speed 30 km/h is quite dangerous with this kind of body. All is tight, even small stone can block the wheel on the run. Like this:

11bh4im.jpeg

And now imagine your flight.... ;)

Is that a Firewheel? Sure looks like one (looking at pedals, shell cut & battery compartment lids). And I wouldn't call that rock "small"... ;) :D  The space between the battery compartment lids and the tire is really small (at lowest I measured it around 6mm), but haven't got a problem with a stone lodging between there, or anywhere else, at least yet. In general there seems to be enough space that gravel and stones that do get inside the shell also come out nicely.

Making a 30kph eWheel with 32 cells is a bit risky. It might work, we'll have to see, but my experience of the King Song is that having four parallel packs 4p16s gives you infinitely more power margin. 

But come-on, a 9.3kg eWheel with those specs is fantastic, the Ninebot is an overweight levitation by comparison. Why would anyone choose to lug around an extra 5kg for inferior performance? 

Edited by Jason McNeil

I wouldn't call that rock "small".

But not so big either. Anyway it is quite possible with that kind of design. And fly out at 30 km/h (or 25) is not the same as 12 to 15. ;)

But come-on, a 9.3kg eWheel with those specs is fantastic,

Come-on, did you ever seen Rockwheel 16"? ;) And check gross weight please. It is 11.3kg

Edited by vag72

On 8/9/2015 at 9:00 PM, vag72 said:

But not so big either. Anyway it is quite possible with that kind of design. And fly out at 30 km/h (or 25) is not the same as 12 to 15. ;)

Come-on, did you ever seen Rockwheel 16"? ;) And check gross weight please. It is 11.3kg

I believe gross weight means with packaging (for shipping), which I don't think you would keep to drive around ;) In any case, the weight needs to be confirmed independently by a trustworthy source.

Edited by Mono

Hi

I ordered the ips Zero 130Wh so  I can take it with me through the airport with no problem in my weekly travels. 

I'm waiting delivery after 01/09. Hope the battery will hold enough and the power will be decent. 

As soon as I get it I'll let you know how it looks and performs. 

Super scared about the very low shell. :( 

• Upvote 1

Great choice @Paul Panait! I am interested myself in the IPS Zero 130Wh and look forward to hear how it goes -- please start a thread when you get with your first impressions B)

Does anyone know what kind of batteries the IPS Zero 130wh has? And are they in parallel or just one pack? Given the recent threads on energy balance it seems that for a such small batteries it is quite important to have high-quality batteries in parallel in order to prevent cut-ofs.

Does anyone know what kind of batteries the IPS Zero 130wh has? And are they in parallel or just one pack? Given the recent threads on energy balance it seems that for a such small batteries it is quite important to have high-quality batteries in parallel in order to prevent cut-ofs.

I think at least earlier IPS-models used lower voltage (52-55V / 14 or 15S?) -packs, but it could be 16S-pack(s) in the Zeros. The 130Wh-version is likely single 16S-pack, typical cell capacities seem to be 2200mAh (2.2Ah), 2900mAh (2.9Ah), 3200mAh (3.2Ah) and 3.5mAh (3.5Ah). Typical nominal voltage for most wheels is 60V (= 16S). From these you can gather the typical battery sizes wheels have (per pack):

60V * 2.2Ah = 132Wh

60V * 2.9Ah = 174Wh

60V * 3.2Ah = 192Wh

60V * 3.5Ah = 210Wh

So, likely 130Wh Zero has one 132Wh pack, 260Wh has two, and 340Wh-version has two with larger capacity cells (2.9Ah), as 60V * 2.9Ah * 2 = 348Wh. But this is just guessing based on specs and the fact that the weight of the 260Wh and 340Wh -versions is the same (so same amount of packs, as there isn't any weight difference between different capacity cells, or if there is, it's a gram or two per cell at best).

‌@esaj; Ah, you know your stuff :D  I am wondering though about the brand of batter, i.e. high quality or not, and the max. current that can be drawn. For example, we figured that the Sony VC3 has 20A max current, which usually means you can actually safely draw 40A for a short time, and with a parallel pack that means 80A for spikes B)  That gives a lot of room to prevent cut-off or balance issues. Since the IPS Zero 130Wh is probably in series and not parallel, it becomes quite important to know if these are high quality batteries or not... right?

Edited by Daan

‌@esaj; Ah, you know your stuff :D  I am wondering though about the brand of batter, i.e. high quality or not, and the max. current that can be drawn. For example, we figured that the Sony VC3 has 20A max current, which usually means you can actually safely draw 40A for a short time, and with a parallel pack that means 80A for spikes B)  That gives a lot of room to prevent cut-off or balance issues. Since the IPS Zero 130Wh is probably in series and not parallel, it becomes quite important to know if these are high quality batteries or not... right?

I'm not claiming to be an expert on cells or battery packs, but I do have spent a lot of time reading about them within the last months. And yes, the battery quality is a very important matter here. Sony, Panasonic, LG and Samsung are at least the "high quality" manufacturers I know, and probably Sanyo, there might be some others (maybe), but I'd be wary of cells manufactured by other brands, unless they're the kind of brands that add an internal protection circuit to the cell and "re-brand" the cells originally made by the aforementioned companies. But I don't think such cells (with internal protection circuit) are used in the wheels, as far as I know, as the BMS already does the protection (unless shunted), and is needed any way for charging and cell balancing, so the internal circuits would be redundant and would just make the manufacturing cost higher (internally protected cells can be twice as expensive as unprotected cells). It also seems that most (if not all?) big EUC-brands only use cells from these manufacturers. The actual cell chemistry (NCA, NMC, LiFePo etc.) also plays a role in the safety (different thermal runaway temperatures, different C-ratings etc.).

The pulse current (short-term max output) of the cells at least seems to be usually around twice the continuous max discharge current, but I don't know if that always holds true (I've seen VC3's specs saying the continuous max is 18A-20A, so the max pulse could be 36-40A, but don't know for sure). Safest way I can think of is to have "enough" packs that the current stays low per pack even at peak motor power.

As at least current IPSs (leaving out the very old models, of which there is at least that one video where the wheel catches fire, as the cells were covered with paper ;)) seem to be high quality products, so I'd expect them to also use high quality cells, but of course can't say for sure.

• Upvote 1

Great choice @Paul Panait! I am interested myself in the IPS Zero 130w

Hi guys,

@Daan  

New topic, got it :) I'll try to find the best topic to place it in. 

@esaj

I hope there will be no cut offs because the battery is to small, because if that's the case I'm screwed. 

:) ned to use it for min of 6 months in order to get it deducted by the company :)) My CEO laughed his ass off first and then he didn't stop asking me about details and when I could bring it to the office in stockholm since I live in Copenhagen so he can give it a try. :) 

This is what Tony Lee ( manager Ips for sales) wrote to me when asked about the battery :

ALL IPS unicycle is one battery ONLY.

IPS121 battery is 340Wh.
IPS122 battery is 260Wh.
IPS ZERO Including
IPSZ ZERO-130 means battery 130Wh
IPSZ ZERO-260 means battery 260Wh
IPSZ ZERO-340 means battery 260Wh

IPS ZERO have inteligent led light and Bluetooth.

@Daan @esaj @Pagsy

In order to get one you need to contact directly the sales rep and he will make an invoice to you and then you can transfer the money into a given account. 

Bellow are more details that I got from the ips rep:

delivery time :after September 1th since we already have about a thousand orders for the new Ips zero models. We will dispatch them in the same order they have been purchased. 
Q: Does it have front and stop lights? 
A: intelligent LED light 
Q: what's the distance from the ground to the pedal?
A: Distance from ground:88mm
Q:  how high from the ground is the shell, since I plan to use it in the city where there is cubic stone, grass, pot holes side walks with edge to climb up and down, etc and in the pictures I can see only the tyre touching the ground, which means I will hit the carcass very often or get stuck. A: Shell to ground distance is 38mm. Don't worry the carcass is very resistant. 
Q: Can I change the battery of 130w for 260w later on?
A: it could be changed but we don't recommended user changed for others battery,because the data was setup by system for different models so the data is different.
Q: how much the charger weights?
A: charger weight:0.5KG

Q: what is the warranty procedure and how do we proceed? -didn't get an answer if I can do it myself or need to send it back. 
WARRANTY FOR IPS ELECTRIC UNICYCLE:
CONTROL BOARD:12 MONTHS
CHARGER:12 MONTHS
MOTOR:12 MONTHS
BATTERY:6 MONTHS

And here is a small video of how it actually looks :) 
Blink-blink :)

So help us God to not get a flat tire because with that low shell we are screwed. I noticed from pics that ninebot e+ has a similar low shell, is it the same? Did anybody complained about it because they got stuck or hit the shell while using it? Any idea?

IPS ZERO.mp4

Edited by Paul Panait
Hate autocorect. Is ducking hilarious
  • Upvote 1

This is what Tony Lee ( manager Ips for sales) wrote to me when asked about the battery :

ALL IPS unicycle is one battery ONLY.

IPS121 battery is 340Wh.
IPS122 battery is 260Wh.
IPS ZERO Including
IPSZ ZERO-130 means battery 130Wh
IPSZ ZERO-260 means battery 260Wh
IPSZ ZERO-340 means battery 260Wh

IPS ZERO have inteligent led light and Bluetooth.

Whoa, 340Wh in one pack! Even if IPS121's use 60V (16 cells), that'd be... 340Wh/16 cells = 21,25Wh per cell (and even more if they use less than 60V/16 cells), sounds highish. Let's be generous and say they've got the typical nominal voltage of 3.6V per cell. 21.25Wh/3.6V = 5,9027777... Ah = around 5903mAh cells. WOW! Umm... I don't think such exist atleast in standard 18650-format. AFAIK, while some companies claim to have 4000mAh cells in 18650-format, such didn't yet exist at least when I last checked (capacity testing has shown so far that all the 4Ah's have been fakes with real capacity somewhere below 3000mAh) :)  For larger formats maybe that big cells can be available, but I'd expect them to be using the common 18650-cells.

It also might depend on what he understands as a "pack", this is a Ninebot battery pack from two different angles (E, 240Wh, but E+ uses similar, just with larger capacity cells):

Ninebot_One_240Wh_Battery_2.jpg

You could say that's one pack from the outside. What does it say in the label?

maxresdefault.jpg

55.5V... but I can calculate at least 8 * 2 + 7 * 2 =  30 cells through the shrink wrap. 30 * 3.7 = 111V. But wait, 15 * 3.7 = 55.5V. So they're using 15 cells in series. If there's 30 cells, then that must 15S2P (15 in series, two in parallel). So it's two parallel packs, wrapped inside one shrink wrap. Maybe the IPS Zero uses similar approach (two parallel packs wrapped into one)...

The golden rule is, "never ask engineering questions from a sales guy". ;) Just kidding, but I don't think that's right. Also the last battery size (260Wh for "IPSZ ZERO-340") must be wrong, as from the spec sheet it looks like The 260- and 340-Zeroes have nothing else different than the battery size...

Edited by esaj

Has the standard 16/32cell arrangement with a max voltage of 67.2v.  

1. At the moment, the specifications are built around a 132Wh & 260Wh versions. The higher capacity version must contain 32 cells, with higher capacity cells, it should be able to reach 350Wh & beyond. Are there plans to also release a higher capacity version as well? /IPS: the capacity version of Zero contain 32 cells, if there is a demand for 350wh, we can make production, but in high quantities.

Hi, i just signed up, wanted to say:

I just ordered an IPS ZERO 260, i'll post about my experiences with the ZERO soon after it arrives, supposed to be here between Sep 5-10

The price for the specs were too much to turn down. I can't imagine the LHOTZ will be selling much with this thing in on the market.

Btw, it's supposed to have an App that allows you to use speed controls (much like the dolphin one d5)

Ignoring the ground clearance worries.  Isn't this wheel supposed to be Urban design specific?  Doesn't seem like it would allow for a trolley handle to be attached easily.

doesn't look easy indeed, as for fixing front and rear lights ...

the only accessory proposed IPS is this trolley backpack:

http://www.passiongadgets.com/3in1-ips-trolley-backpack-for-x3-x8-q3-ips-rockwheel.html

@Paul Panait @Timothy Kessler

Who did you contact to order the IPS Zero? I am in the US and interested in buying one.

Www.ipselectricunicycle.com, contacted them on Skype and placed an order that way. The process is a little complicated since they only accept wire transfer or western union, but the product isn't released to resellers yet. It should start becoming available to resellers in mid-september according to a contact of mine who sells on aliexpress