After my last fall, I'm no longer convinced Solowheel is the best EUC. Recommendations?

vgambit

After he made that post I was quizzing him on it or a while in the forums.  That was the wheel I had been intent on ordering for months so I really wanted to ferret the basis for his opinion out of him so I could see if his points might apply to me at all.  It was my impression that he didn't want to go into it too much, so after a few posts I was left feeling like something about the question wasn't really answered ... at least not enough for me to feel any different about buying the KS18.  It was kind of puzzling and unsatisfying to me.  He seemed quite gung ho about the other smaller wheel though.

Just my impressions ...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Dingfelder said:

After he made that post I was quizzing him on it or a while in the forums.  That was the wheel I had been intent on ordering for months so I really wanted to ferret the basis for his opinion out of him so I could see if his points might apply to me at all.  It was my impression that he didn't want to go into it too much, so after a few posts I was left feeling like something about the question wasn't really answered ... at least not enough for me to feel any different about buying the KS18.  It was kind of puzzling and unsatisfying to me.  He seemed quite gung ho about the other smaller wheel though.

Just my impressions ...

FYI, I saw a reply somewhere either here or on FB where Bryan expressed dissatisfaction regarding the KS18A and pedal dip, FWIW.

Never experienced any dip out of the ordinary bounds of an EUC on my KS18A myself, plus the current KS18S model I have the impression has come a bit farther since it's A and A+Y versions, so I wouldn't judge the model solely based on 1 report.

19 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

FYI, I saw a reply somewhere either here or on FB where Bryan expressed dissatisfaction regarding the KS18A and pedal dip, FWIW.

Never experienced any dip out of the ordinary bounds of an EUC on my KS18A myself, plus the current KS18S model I have the impression has come a bit farther since it's A and A+Y versions, so I wouldn't judge the model solely based on 1 report.

I see.  That sounds legit.  Thanks.

15 hours ago, Dingfelder said:

Bryan eventually decided it wasn't at all what he wanted, as I recall, and began touting how great the other smaller wheel was that he got(or already had) -- a Ninebot or Inmotion maybe?  It was quite a turn-around and he seemed very committed to it.

Don't get me wrong, i do believe the ks-18A is an amazing wheel, its probably better for the long hauls. just not the parking lot **** around sessions. It's a flip flop between the long hauler ks-18 and the more precise ninebot oneninebot one

5 hours ago, houseofjob said:

As far as dip is concerned, I feel as you would need to ride a bunch of other more accurate rides back to back and it becomes obvious then.

4 minutes ago, Bryan Wells said:

As far as dip is concerned, I feel as you would need to ride a bunch of other more accurate rides back to back and it becomes obvious then.

I've ridden most makes and models out there, including your Ninebot (which I've owned); can't agree based on my experiences.

Is it not maybe your particular KS18A? or the fact that you are larger than I, I believe (I'm 5'8" 170lbs)?

I'm really upset now. I'm looking at the description of the KS18S, and the damn thing goes 3 times as fast as my wheel, and costs $800 less than what I spent. I'll have to try to get rid of this thing on eBay...

10 minutes ago, vgambit said:

I'm really upset now. I'm looking at the description of the KS18S, and the damn thing goes 3 times as fast as my wheel, and costs $800 less than what I spent. I'll have to try to get rid of this thing on eBay...

If you do, I would highly recommend getting it through @Jason McNeil / eWheels.com.

Unlike a US-based company like Inventist, Chinese EUC companies, along with their Joe-Schmo, order-on-demand 3rd party distributors, can leave you on an island when / if you encounter technical issues post-purchase (happened with me). Jason will not let that happen. It's worth any additional cost against what Chinese distributors might discount you.

I'm somewhere down the line looking at a KS18 upgrade but want to see what this rumored KS18 redesign model due out end of this year is, along with the rumored Rockwheel liquid-cooling 18" model (not sure if that will release this year though).

Also wanna make sure these KS18's have lowered the reduced speed restriction down to a more reasonable 30%-and-under battery threshold, not the 50%-and-under threshold I have heard about.

9 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

One thing to consider is that you could probably overlean any wheel if you try hard enough. 

The one thing I'm certain of at this point is that if I was riding a different wheel, I would not have fallen. I fell because my wheel was too weak, period.

10 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

One thing to consider is that you could probably overlean any wheel if you try hard enough. 

Theoretically, yes.

But in the real world, at least in my experience, it's been really hard to overlean wheels that are above 800W nominal, esp. the new 84V wheels. 

The same hard accelerations that I do regularly on my 84V 2000W nominal Rockwheel GT16 and my 84V 1500W nominal Gotway Monster now, would result in overlean cutouts on my previous 800W nominal and lower powered wheels I've owned in the past.

13 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Also wanna make sure these KS18's have lowered the reduced speed restriction down to a more reasonable 30%-and-under battery threshold, not the 50%-and-under threshold I have heard about.

Wasn't I reading here recently that they were taking it down to 20%?  

Couldn't swear to it ... I think so, though ...

Just now, Dingfelder said:

Not sure either. Was this across the line or for just the KS16S?

I can't see the options in the app without syncing to a wheel, but does the King Song iOS app allow for the tilt back threshold to be changed? That is, if I wanted it to tilt back at 15 MPH, can I have it do that? 

2 hours ago, Dingfelder said:

Not sure, but I think the 1.25-firmware dropped the slow down to 25% or 30% of the battery, I've had a good number of 30-50km rides with dside over the past week or so, and he hasn't hit the warnings (KS16B / 840Wh, firmware version 1.25). My KS16B (680Wh) is still on 1.23 and it starts beeping above 25km/h after the battery drops below 50%, but I didn't notice it tilting back at that point (yet, I think the reductions go further the lower the battery voltage drops). Probably should update it to 1.25. The lowest I've gone (so far) with the KS16S at 1.0 -firmware has been something like 35%, and it hasn't changed the warnings to happen earlier (or then I just haven't noticed, helmet + wind at high speed can make it hard to hear the beeps).

I guess the best thing to do with these bigger wheels to to only go half speed the wheel is capable at! Come on, look at it, cars go 160-250 km/h, but that doesn't mean we drive them at top speed 100% of time....we drive them at a third of what they can do... So too, with e-unicycles! 

Ok so I got a mini Segway, to top it off the whole time I'm on it, the whole 15 km/h.... But I highly suspect that Ninebot is throttling down the top  speed of the mini anyways...

3 hours ago, vgambit said:

ur on a solowheel arn't you?

5 minutes ago, vgambit said:

Yep.

sorry man, solowheel is just a sales pitch in compaired to all of the other wheels available, It bugs me to see people fall for that overpriced thing, it's not your fault, its the company upscaling all that it is not. You could post it on CL and try to get anything else because even a used solowheel cost more than the BEST Gotway you can get.

did i mention the less than 200 wh battery vs the gotway at over 1600+wh i think!!!!

3 hours ago, houseofjob said:

Not sure either. Was this across the line or for just the KS16S?

I got the impression it was across the line for new machines ... but I'm really reaching into the darkness here.  I don't remember enough to put any confidence in that.

Does the KS18S have a trolley handle? I'm not finding any info on it, and all I saw was an addon for the 14" KS wheel. At 30 lbs, the Solowheel Xtreme is very annoying to carry around once I reach my destination. I can't imagine another 16...

51 minutes ago, vgambit said:

Does the KS18S have a trolley handle? I'm not finding any info on it, and all I saw was an addon for the 14" KS wheel. At 30 lbs, the Solowheel Xtreme is very annoying to carry around once I reach my destination. I can't imagine another 16...

No. That is a complaint with some people. However, the wheel is so tall the trolley handle might be awkward to use.

I agree, you don't want to carry the wheel, and you'll never carry a KS18.

The 18" MSuper wheel has a nice (I think) trolley handle.

Since you are considering the KS18 I don't see why you don't also consider the MSuper. It's more compact yet has all the power (for safety) that anyone could want. And it has that trolley handle.

After thinking about safety lately I've come to the conclusion that the Gotway wheels are extremely safe if you configure them so. You can configure the MSuper so that it won't go faster than 15mph, yet it has amazing amounts of power reserve. So it would never cut-out on you when you encounter some obstacles that require a surge in power.

No trolley on the KS-18 but there are places that sell handles you can attach to any EUC, and some people really seem to like them.

This is not the one I'm thinking of, but it's a place to start:

https://www.banggood.com/Adjustable-Electric-Unicycle-Trolley-Electric-Scooter-Accessories-p-937730.html

Archived