Oscillation and cut out problem with Gotway MSuper V3, ACM, maybe Monster shipped from May 2017 onwards

Finally I have exchanged my control board with the Gotway replacement. And everything seems fine, but I have one question:

With the old board the temperature seemed a little lower 20-25%, with the new board it rises close to 40%. Do I need to worry about this? How high is everybody's normal operation temperature before, during and after a longer ride? From what temperature upward do I have to worry the machine would overheat? At present we have very high temperatures in Japan (34C to 38C), so it's no pleasure to ride in this heat. The temperatures in the pictures were captured within 2 minutes after switching on the MSuper.

Thank you all for your support and information.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

My standard "nothing special happened, just riding" temperature seems to be 47°C (with summer temperatures here, but thank god not 38°C:shock2:) It rarely goes above 50, but to be honest I almost never look at temperatures (in high stress situations, I watch the current directly; and watching numbers is unnecessary otherwise).

The wheel will throw a temperature warning at 79°C. No need to worry about overheating with a Gotway, they can take a lot, if they even get that hot.

--

Small side tip: for day to day operation, third party apps are much, much better than the official Gotway (cr)app. Yours looks like an iPhone, so Darknessbot or Gyrometrics are great alternatives (Wheellog for Android).

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Toshio Uemura said:

Finally I have exchanged my control board with the Gotway replacement. And everything seems fine, but I have one question:

With the old board the temperature seemed a little lower 20-25%, with the new board it rises close to 40%. Do I need to worry about this? How high is everybody's normal operation temperature before, during and after a longer ride? From what temperature upward do I have to worry the machine would overheat? At present we have very high temperatures in Japan (34C to 38C), so it's no pleasure to ride in this heat. The temperatures in the pictures were captured within 2 minutes after switching on the MSuper.

Thank you all for your support and information.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Except for my Monster, Gotway wheels generally will not overheat (kickback turns on at ~79 degrees). If my riding is mild than the temperature will stay in the 40's. If I'm doing a lot of harder riding that it'll be in the mid 50's. If I'm riding intensely in the mountains and it's hot outside, the temperature can get into the mid 60's. Very rare for it ever to climb past 70.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Except for my Monster, Gotway wheels generally will not overheat (kickback turns on at ~79 degrees). If my riding is mild than the temperature will stay in the 40's. If I'm doing a lot of harder riding that it'll be in the mid 50's. If I'm riding intensely in the mountains and it's hot outside, the temperature can get into the mid 60's. Very rare for it ever to climb past 70.

Thank you for the detailed info. So I guess everything should be OK now with the new Control board. I will try it out on Sunday morning. Lets pray for the best.

3 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

My standard "nothing special happened, just riding" temperature seems to be 47°C (with summer temperatures here, but thank god not 38°C:shock2:) It rarely goes above 50, but to be honest I almost never look at temperatures (in high stress situations, I watch the current directly; and watching numbers is unnecessary otherwise).

The wheel will throw a temperature warning at 79°C. No need to worry about overheating with a Gotway, they can take a lot, if they even get that hot.

--

Small side tip: for day to day operation, third party apps are much, much better than the official Gotway (cr)app. Yours looks like an iPhone, so Darknessbot or Gyrometrics are great alternatives (Wheellog for Android).

Edited 2 hours ago by meepmeepmayer

Thank you for the great tip with the iPhone apps. I found both in my Japanese App Store and downloaded them both. Do they work with all unicycles? KingSong and Ninebot One E+?

• Upvote 1

I don't know which wheels they work with. Their description should tell. GyroMetrics used to be 9BMetrics, so I assume it must work with a Ninebot. Darknessbot also has a "bot" in the name.

Only thing I can confirm is that Wheellog (Android) works with my ACM.

edit: Looks like both iOS apps support pretty much every brand wheel:

https://itunes.apple.com/de/app/gyrometrics/id1089325181?mt=8

https://itunes.apple.com/de/app/darknessbot/id1108403878?mt=8

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

edit: Looks like both iOS apps support pretty much every brand wheel:

Thank you all again for the great support this forum offers! I will check them both out. 

:furious::furious::furious::furious::furious:

It was clear from the beginning they would try to sit it out/ignore it. But I guess we'll see quite some crash reports due to this in the coming time.

Do you have any details where he got the ACM/why he got a bad one and nobody warned him? Even the Ali sellers shipped out new boards...

• Upvote 2

A big problem I see with these wheels is that it is difficult to issue a worldwide recall warning to users since wheels can pass on to different owners, and people get them from non-official circles (eg. Ali-Express resellers).  Gotway appears to be trying to put the word out, exchange boards, and reflash firmware, but owners need to be active online in these forums or have some sort of contact to be aware of problems.  Even if they send out a warning through an app like Ninebot does when new firmware is available, users would need to actually start the app up to see it.  Until riders are aware of the problem, these wheels can be ticking time bombs.

We who frequent these forums will see the problem is obvious and know that immediate action needs to be taken, but say someone bought a wheel and went on holidays somewhere for a month.  They have a bucketload of emails to catch up on when they get back, and they may not be aware that something is wrong.  Maybe Gotway needs some sort of online registry so users can put in their contact information if situations like these arise.  Add in complications like privacy concerns and database security, and you have a fine kettle of fish.  Even with a registry, there will be wheels that will fall through the cracks or more accurately, fall on the pavement.

• Upvote 1

On 27.6.2017 at 4:02 AM, Marty Backe said:

I don't have the Monster memorized so I can't say. Are you posting it on this thread because you're concerned about the oscillation/cut-out problems?

If so, no Monsters have been cited as having this problem, and Gotway has only put out alerts regarding the ACM and MSuper. I would imagine that you're fine.

And to be clear, even if it had the problem, the failure mechanism is in the firmware so there's nothing to see.

I would be interested to know if any distributor or anyone who bought directly from Gotway got a replacement board for a Monster wheel due to this fault?

or is it established all Monster boards are fine?

just to rule out my next wheels firmware might be affected too, as I usually buy from quitters. ;) 

2 hours ago, Spark said:

I would be interested to know if any distributor or anyone who bought directly from Gotway got a replacement board for a Monster wheel due to this fault?

or is it established all Monster boards are fine?

just to rule out my next wheels firmware might be affected too, as I usually buy from quitters. ;) 

Jason re-flashed all the ACMs and MSuper's that he was selling. He did not re-flash the Monsters that were sold.

• 2 weeks later...

There was a post on here somewhere where someone reported a wheel "hiccup" if he tried to use it to soon after power up. The advice then was to wait and move the wheel back and forth before riding. I hope this is isolated. GotWay really need to invest in the tech to flash firmware via smartphone. I'd hate to think I'd have to replace my mainboard to resolve an issue like this.

• Upvote 3

Well i received my wheel monday and before it was shipped i asked the seller regarding the oscillation bug and he assured me the wheel was verified by Gotway...

But according the the labels etc is was made just before the issues started to appear...

box.png

stamp.png

@craioSorry to hear you have this problem now:furious:

29th April is indeed in the dangerous date zone.

I would get as much specific information as possible from the seller. Did Gotway simply promise him "nono this wheel is fine" (they apparently lied to other sellers), did he get more specific information, can he specifically guarantee the wheel was reflashed, etc. Ask him "On what information do you base that my wheel is fine?".

Other than that, wear protection until things are more clear:)

I see you have a 67V wheel (820Wh), not sure if these were affected. @Jason McNeil Do you know if 67V Gotways were affected by the oscillation bug?

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Upvote 2

Should i think it's odd that the number on the wheel is different than on the box? (or is one the number for the board and the other for the whole wheel).

So far i only fell once, after trying to make a turn the wheel a pedal might have hit the ground and then went lef-right-left-right and ended up flying :P Not sure if this is oscillating but was practicing on moist grass so no bruises :) 

motor.png

14 minutes ago, craio said:

Should i think it's odd that the number on the wheel is different than on the box? (or is one the number for the board and the other for the whole wheel).

Just checked my wheel's photos, and I have that too. The end of the number (visible in the photos) does not match the motor code or serial number on the label. Not sure what's going on... not sure if the "real" date is the one on the box or the one on the sticker inside the wheel.

I would guess

Motor: Motor production date: 05.04.2017

Board: board production date:01.04.2017

Box an QS: Package date:29.04.2017

So i would say everything Ok with this wheel, as board is from beginn of April

Edited by KingSong69
  • Upvote 1

• esaj unpinned this topic
  • esaj unfeatured this topic