Oscillation and cut out problem with Gotway MSuper V3, ACM, maybe Monster shipped from May 2017 onwards

1 minute ago, Rehab1 said:

Because I had contacted them recently just to investigate out what their response would be being they have lots of customers. I also contacted them numerous times when I need a new motor. I have yet to receive any response from them. It appears you are on your own once the wheel is sold. Interesting I did receive a response from the Ebay seller that sold me a MB telling me not to ride my ACM until the firmware is updated. 

Ok, that i didn't know :-) But Yeah, you said that before...that they were very bad in contacts and Service after you received your wheel....also with the trolley they promised, right?

I guess they lost there place as "recommendable Ali-seller" with such a behaviour!

Dont get me wrong....i just wanted to Point out that your ACM-board(from before 4 monts) is not affected!

At least the ebay-seller contacted you because of your new board! not bad ...i would not have exspected that.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

Ok, that i didn't know :-) But Yeah, you said that before...that they were very bad in contacts and Service after you received your wheel....also with the trolley they promised, right?

I guess they lost there place as "recommendable Ali-seller" with such a behaviour!

Dont get me wrong....i just wanted to Point out that your ACM-board(from before 4 monts) is not affected!

At least the ebay-seller contacted you because of your new board! not bad ...i would not have exspected that.

What sellers would you recommend from ali then ? 

7 hours ago, FrenchieEUC said:

What sellers would you recommend from ali then ? 

For a Gotway, at the Moment? None of them....For Gotways the best Prices and recommendations here have always been from "Green and Travel"....but if you hear Rehab1's experience with them?

These are all very small sellers which (normally) have no (big) stock...if they get an order, they order or take it from the factory directly.

So i wouldn't buy any Gotway wheel from Ali until it is prooved that also newer wheels have been updated or got a new board.

I personaly have bought some wheels from "Rockwheel Store" and always have been happy.....will that stay the same in the future or at this time? Who knows!!!

Edited by KingSong69
  • Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

For a Gotway, at the Moment? None of them....For Gotways the best Prices and recommendations here have always been from "Green and Travel"....but if you hear Rehab1's experience with them?

These are all very small sellers which (normally) have no (big) stock...if they get an order, they order or take it from the factory directly.

So i wouldn't buy any Gotway wheel from Ali until it is prooved that also newer wheels have been updated or got a new board.

I personaly have bought some wheels from "Rockwheel Store" and always have bin happy.....will that stay the same in the future or at this time? Who knows!!!

Yeah makes sense, I naively thought I could just PM them to take a NEWER msuper 3 if they didnt have the good judgement to do so before.

1 hour ago, Puce said:

I must admit that, seeing how they handled the issue and how they provided information about it, I can NOT recommend any Gotway product to anyone.

Well, I would be more tempered and say it would depend on planned usage. 

When riding in mixed traffic for daily commuting with other cars, I need to have a high level of confidence in my EUC. In this scenario, I must admit I have now a high stress level with Gotway. 

For leisure and riding off-road, why not provided people adapt their safety gears to the engine power. 

• Upvote 1

The reason is that if I can decide to take a risk for myself, I can't decide for a friend. Therefore I can't recommend it.

Gotway did not officially said anything to customers about the issue. If they were professional neither you or me would have fallen 10 days after the first occurrence.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Puce said:

The reason is that if I can decide to take a risk for myself, I can't decide for a friend. Therefore I can't recommend it.

Gotway did not officially said anything to customers about the issue. If they were professional neither you or me would have fallen 10 days after the first occurrence.

Strongly agree here.  Gotway dropped the ball big-time in a way that's not up to the standards of Western companies.  And they did it with callow disregard for the safety of their customers and for the integrity of their brand.

• Upvote 3

Not to excuse Gotway's behavior. But the big problems were the motor connectors (fixed), the firmware issue (now fixed... hopefully... at least we know which wheels are affected, so it is a reasonably well assessable risk), and the fact that the wheels will fry from continuous high currents (not fixed until they totally redesign something), as produced on long steeper inclines. The last one does not apply to riding in an urban setting, and I would argue factually a 1500W Gotway is still safer there than a 500W Ninebot or 800W Inmotion, simply because you will struggle to accidentally overlean it (emergency braking, quick acceleration, whatever) unlike a <1000W wheel. The facts here speak for themselves, GWs worked perfectly fine for this.

So I understand you have no trust in Gotway and have been burned badly, and I would probably not buy a new Gotway as well, unless there have been some huge changes. But for commuting downtown, all this does not really apply and the wheels are a known safe quantity (at least until the next GW disaster;)). So before your family does not use any wheels (which would be sad), they can still use the existing Gotways until a better wheel comes along.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Not to excuse Gotway's behavior. But the big problems were the motor connectors (fixed), the firmware issue (now fixed... hopefully... at least we know which wheels are affected, so it is a reasonably well assessable risk), and the fact that the wheels will fry from continuous high currents (not fixed until they totally redesign something), as produced on long steeper inclines. The last one does not apply to riding in an urban setting, and I would argue factually a 1500W Gotway is still safer there than a 500W Ninebot or 800W Inmotion, simply because you will struggle to accidentally overlean it (emergency braking, quick acceleration, whatever) unlike a <1000W wheel. The facts here speak for themselves, GWs worked perfectly fine for this.

So I understand you have no trust in Gotway and have been burned badly, and I would probably not buy a new Gotway as well, unless there have been some huge changes. But for commuting downtown, all this does not really apply and the wheels are a known safe quantity (at least until the next GW disaster;)). So before your family does not use any wheels (which would be sad), they can still use the existing Gotways until a better wheel comes along.

I am still waiting on results from the analysis of the 3rd fallen guy. Connectors were checked, no firmware issue, still cutout at 25km/h on flat ground. 

1500w motor is great if you can size the rest of the electronics and cabling for it. In addition, on-board sensors and logs look non-existant on Gotway (see diagnose screen on inmotion app), so there is little chance that the wheel reports proactively ny defect before it turns into something bad. 

For emergency braking, Msuper3 feels worse than inmotion v8, based on my testing. Msuper3 lacks torque, so I can easily get in trouble for emergency breaking, as the pedals will start oscillating badly, as if a few magnets were skipped... This can also be experienced with very short, steep downhill path. No issue with Inmotion in these scenarios. 

• Upvote 2

Can't argue with anything you said. And in addition, if you don't feel ok using the wheels or giving them others to use, I understand that's perfectly normal given what happened. Welcome to the Gotway love-hate relationship:D

My point simply was, it is not that bad as you maybe made it sound:)

Here the same.. Msuper v3 s+ 1600 from the beginning of june.. Gotway even sended me a new Motherboard, although I had tested it also on various surfaces, never had a problem.. But because Gotway sended me the board I swapped them, just because it makes me feel 'better'.. Loving my ride, although the 1st and 2nd alarm are really close.. don't dare to go all the way to the 3th.. 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, EU GUY said:

Ive been riding my msuper v3 s+ 1600wh now for 3 days on some very harsh surface at very high,slow and medium speeds and the wheel have not let me down. I got a new pcb and firmware was updated by my seller. Even he did a lot of testing before he gave it to me. My best way to test was yesterday in the woods. narrow path, 30 kmh and roots,rocks everywhere. i was jumping,bumping all over. Im in love with this wheel now. if my riding havent killed it then i dont see what will :)

It's good to hear more positive reports from the field. Mine continues to perform as expected.

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

Dear all,

I am new on this forum and I would like to ask your advice regarding the Gotway oscillation issue. I bought a Gotway MSuper V3 s+ in May this year and I got it on June 1st. It is a 1705, that might possibly be effected. A few weeks later I got a mail from my Chinese vendor telling me about the accidents and the possible dangers and asking me to stop riding until they can send me a new control board with Gotways fix. Now, I received this new control board (1706) last week. However I have ridden my new MSuper for a bit over 100 km before I received their warning. I have ridden it in various speeds below 40 km over rocks, and holes and off road over arm-thick branches up the steepest possible hills. No problems! The MSuper never failed me during this rather extreme testing. I have not ridden it after I received the warning, but reading the info here, I wonder if the new control board they send me is really safe. My questions are:

- Are ALL the 1705 control boards really effected or only some?

- Are the 1706 CBs now saver than my original 1705 CB that endured over 100 km of rather extreme test riding?

- Is there any information from Gotway on the root cause of this problem? 

I am really wondering, if I should exchange the original CB (which has been working properly so far) with the "fixed" one, which still might have problems. What is your opinion?

Thank you all for any advice and helpful information.

Greetings from Japan!

The Board\firmware code mainly failed when riding at middle speeds over bumps...

When you say 100km over all kind of rocks i would assume your board to be safe!

Are alle 1705 boards defect? Who knows...GW has been the opposite of open and thruthfuly....not telling us at all what the fault was and if ALL boards/firmware is bad...

Edited by KingSong69
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

The Board mainly failed when riding at middle speeds over bumps...

When you say 100km over all kind of rocks i would assume your board to be safe!

Are alle 1705 boards defect? Who knows...GW has been all...but not open telling us what the fault was and if ALL boards/firmware is bad!

Thank you for your quick response and advice. That is my assumption too. Why should I go through the trouble and exchange a perfectly well working CB with a new CB that may or may not be safer? But watching the video of Marty's fall really takes its toll on the trust I gained in my MSuper. It really surprised me how stable this thing handles all kind of obstacles, holes and bumps compared to my ACM  (which I still love). Right now, I don't know if I should love or hate Gotway for their heavenly dangerous toys they throw on the market.

• Upvote 1

Hi!

--

I would not trust the old board.

Gotway used a firmware with an error in the time they produced your board. No reason to assume your board does not have that firmware. Only reason I could see they "accidentally" used the old (good) firmware on a board in that timeframe, so two errors corrected each other. Or used an older board from before the bad firmware hit.

You have your experience values (100km of fine riding), but if the board might indeed have the bad firmware, I personally would change it. People who think "it will be fine" are mostly people who didn't crash yet - was the same for me, now I know better;) (not this issue, but another thing that made me more careful)

In the end, your decision, but certainly wear protection when riding, so you're at least safer should you encounter the issue with the old board!

Are you sure your 1705... is NOT the motor code (which can be seen on the rim of the tire), but the actual serial number (which is different)? On the outside of the box, there is a sticker, under the bar code, that is the real serial number. First six digits are the production date. Does it also start with 1705...? Maybe your wheel is earlier than the bad time frame? Might be worth to check to give more you info, to guess whether your board is good or not.

15 minutes ago, Toshio Uemura said:

Right now, I don't know if I should love or hate Gotway for their heavenly dangerous toys they throw on the market.

Now you're a real Gotway owner:D

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thank you for this really helpful response. 

Yes, I am sure it is the serial number from the documentation that came with the wheel.

And I will follow your advice and change the control board tomorrow. I also got myself stronger skate board type wrist protection and an expensive but nevertheless hopelessly unstylish looking helmet that I force myself to wear even though it spoils my style, my looks, my appearance, my everything and I am really wondering if a big scar across my face and a bloody nose could look worse than this racing helmet. Ohhhh how I miss my stylish Ninebot One E+ ....

Actually that is my main reason to hate Gotway: The need for helmets that ruin my hair style completely and make me look rediculous! Yeah, I know, I wish I had my problems ...

I recalibrated the foot pedals slightly backwards when I got my new MSuper, because I feel safer riding this way. I don't know, if that has some impact on the oscillation issue (probably not!), but I thought, I just mention it as another additional fact, since I had had no accident so far with my 1705 wheel. 

When I open my wheel tomorrow to change the CB, should I change cables or connectors as well, or just the CB as instructed by Gotway in their video?

I have to stress I'm no expert at all, and never did any repairs on any wheel:)

I don't think you need to do additional stuff, as it's a lot of work and not sure what it would be good for. "Simply" put in the new board (you already have to know how to solder and connect this stuff to do that) and you're good. But maybe you're an expert and want to do extra stuff.

Maybe the simplest and best option is to solder together (or whatever is the right way to do it) the motor and board cables directly, without connectors.

Also, color coding and documenting everything might help putting it all together again.

What Gotway video did you watch that shows the board change?

--

@Rehab1 did a lot of work on his ACM, maybe it helps you somehow (msuper works the same). Lots of information to be found, if you can find it in all of this.

Also his Youtube videos themselves: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWI6p95ivAWa1gffg0PGBEA/videos?shelf_id=0&view=0&sort=dd

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Upvote 1

Thanks a lot for the useful advice. I shall document the whole process tomorrow and take pictures to make sure all parts go back in again. I am not really good at screwing things together, I am much better at screwing things up, but I try to follow their instructions:

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the video, it's brand new, didn't know about it.

Totally missed that both motor and board have matching connectors. So you don't need to re-solder anything, just screw the board in, re-plug, plus some new heat shrink (it isolates the connectors from each other electrically so do it well!) and silicone for the small wires on the board.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Upvote 1

Yes.. change the board.. I had the same situations.. got mine half of june, but gotway sended me a new bard too.. although never had any troube I did swap the boards.. 
Just to be sure. I know of one that had no issues but after 200Km it suddenly hit him.  So better safe then sorry.. It is not hard to do, it is just the nasty silicones.. and don't forget the Bluetooth module.. (I nearly did.. just noticed it as I was comparing both boards and I missed something on the new one :-))

• Upvote 2

• esaj unpinned this topic
  • esaj unfeatured this topic