Help choosing an off-road EUC

Tiggerlen

Hey guys & gals,

I am starting a new project that requires that I purchase an EUC.  I will mostly be using it in an off-road setting, going up hiking trails in the mountains mostly.  The problem is, i'm completely new to electric unicycles and don't know what my best purchasing options are for my situation.  I will need to purchase from a company which will have replacement parts readily available if something were to break on me.  Are there any EUCs designed specifically for off-road use that you'd recommend?

Any help is much appreciated!

6 minutes ago, Tiggerlen said:

I will need to purchase from a company which will have replacement parts readily available if something were to break on me

So why on earth would you not tell us at least the country you are in, or are figuring to import any parts you might require (I.e. your idea of "readily" is within a month of ordering!

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Tiggerlen said:

Hey guys & gals,

I am starting a new project that requires that I purchase an EUC.  I will mostly be using it in an off-road setting, going up hiking trails in the mountains mostly.  The problem is, i'm completely new to electric unicycles and don't know what my best purchasing options are for my situation.  I will need to purchase from a company which will have replacement parts readily available if something were to break on me.  Are there any EUCs designed specifically for off-road use that you'd recommend?

Three things need to be known:

1) Where are you based?
2) What is your weight?
3) What is your budget?

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Keith said:

So why on earth would you not tell us at least the country you are in, or are figuring to import any parts you might require (I.e. your idea of "readily" is within a month of ordering!

You're right I spaced that.  I'm in USA.  Utah to be precise.

• Like 1

For off road 14" and 18" wheels are not easy to get suitable replacement tyres for in the correct width, but you can get a Schwalbe Mad Mike tyre in 16" that has a reasonably aggressive tread pattern. 

A lot depends on the terrain and distances you expect to be covering.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Paddylaz said:

Three things need to be known:

1) Where are you based?
2) What is your weight?
3) What is your budget?

1) USA

2) 200 lb

3) $300-600 USD would be nice but i'll pay whatever is necessary.

3 minutes ago, Tiggerlen said:

1) USA

2) 200 lb

3) $300-600 USD would be nice but i'll pay whatever is necessary.

First hand, you're not going to find much with that budget. Although the second-hand section of the forum sometimes delivers a bargain.

Ewheels (Jason) are a great store in the US. You could get a v5f+ like mine for $675....but that's a 14inch wheel which is not ideal if as you say you're mostly going to be off-road. I'd recommend the V8 which is $999. It's a lot I know, but the expense of this hobby is worth it for the pleasure ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Let's kick this old thread up and hijack it, since the TS has disappeared.

It looks like a King Song 16S might be a good choice for off-road riding? Talking about an 160lbs rider here. 18 looks a bit too bulky for me (I don't like the 'briefcase' look either ;) ), and I presume the smaller wheel will give more torque to the road than the bigger wheel. Then again, a bigger wheel handles obstacles better.

From what I read here the Gotways seem maybe even better spec-wise, but all the issues with them scare me a bit (maintenance, things wearing out etc.). It seems King Song is better in that regard?

I say wait for the Ninebot One Z.  :w00t2: I'm hoping it will exceed everyone's expectations and blow our socks off!  I wonder if the wide tire might even tempt Euc Extreme?  Maybe not since he's quite the speed demon.  I wonder when his special edition wheel will be featured in his videos...  these are exciting times!

Realistically though there must be an upper ceiling for speed.  The limits keep creeping up slightly, but at some point people are going to say it was fun to ride at 60 kph on one wheel, but I feel much safer cruising at 25-30 kph ideally.  Can people even stay on a wheel that is going 80-100 kph?  I highly doubt it unless the road is perfectly flat.  Any dip or rise will likely send you airborne if the wind resistance hitting you doesn't knock you off.  Imagine standing up in your sunroof while your car is going 80-100 kph.  Not gonna happen.  :rolleyes:

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Upvote 3

On 6/11/2017 at 2:16 PM, Tiggerlen said:

Hey guys & gals,

I actually don't think any wheels are really 'built' for off-road use, like a four wheel drive truck is built for off-road riding. Having said that, generally bigger wheels are more comfortable for trail riding.

But you may be disappointed if your plan is to ride these on hiking trails. Hiking trails can often be very narrow, steep, and rocky - not a good combination for EUCs.

I think your price point is very unrealistic. This makes me think that you haven't researched EUCs much yet. This forum has a wealth of knowledge within it. I would recommend spending time reading the various posts that have occurred over the last year. You'll develop a sense on the real costs of EUCs and the potential problems that you will face in maintenance costs and maintenance difficulties.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Realistically though there must be an upper ceiling for speed.

As you said, the limit is bumps in the road, which a EUC is very vulnerable to, and which can't be seen early enough when too fast, so that limits the speed - you must be able to see bumps. I don't think there'll ever be one-wheel-motorcycle style EUCs. EUCs are good for "like a bike, but faster than a bike, and certainly slower than a car" medium speed and distance riding. Also, as you mentioned, wind - a sudden gust and you have a problem.

I'm also in the 25-30 (much closer to 25 actually without helmet) comfortable camp. But 40 is something I could easily see myself doing with a wheel I trust more and a full face helmet. I'd say above 60 is probably VERY sketchy with any EUC (bumps come too fast) and 50 is probably the upper limit I'd go at all, even just for a short while.

Also keep in mind, EUCs aren't built for speed, they are built with a certain motor power and big enough batteries to sustain that. Whether you use that to go fast, go up hills, for a heavier rider, or simply as a fantastic safety margin (or any combination of those), is up to the rider. I use my 1500W for offroad 20 km/h/going up mountains at 15 km/h (in short hops so nothing melts;)) instead of going the 35 or 40 I could with my ACM on pavement.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Upvote 2

Kicking this one up again, with a question of my own.

My Inmotion V8 is great on paved roads and can take some pretty steep inclines (more than I expected), however when going off road I find myself needing more torque. I'm standing on the tips of my toes sometimes because it is so steep and of course there is sand/gravel/rocks/.... I find myself leaning forward so much that if I were to hit a too big of an obstacle I would fall of face first I guess ("luckily" only going 5km/h). I presume this will be a lot better when using a King Song euc with a lot more torque.

Now my question to experienced off-road riders here ( @Marty Backe ?): what wheel size? I currently run 16". I presume 18" will be better as it will roll easier over small obstacles, but won't 16 be better for manoeuvrability? And get a wider tire as this member did?

4 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

Kicking this one up again, with a question of my own.

My Inmotion V8 is great on paved roads and can take some pretty steep inclines (more than I expected), however when going off road I find myself needing more torque. I'm standing on the tips of my toes sometimes because it is so steep and of course there is sand/gravel/rocks/.... I find myself leaning forward so much that if I were to hit a too big of an obstacle I would fall of face first I guess ("luckily" only going 5km/h). I presume this will be a lot better when using a King Song euc with a lot more torque.

Now my question to experienced off-road riders here ( @Marty Backe ?): what wheel size? I currently run 16". I presume 18" will be better as it will roll easier over small obstacles, but won't 16 be better for manoeuvrability? And get a wider tire as this member did?

Every wheel can be fun riding off-road, but my MSuper handles the most conditions with aplomb. Maneuverability comes down to riding experience. The MSuper is a joy to ride and can turn on a dim. Sure, my KS14C ultimately more nimble, but nothing really beats the comfort of an 18 inch wheel on bumpy trails.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

I find myself needing more torque. I'm standing on the tips of my toes sometimes because it is so steep and of course there is sand/gravel/rocks/.... I find myself leaning forward so much that if I were to hit a too big of an obstacle I would fall of face first I guess ("luckily" only going 5km/h). 

My MSuper is best for off road as well but the KS16S isn't far behind.

Yes you're leaning forward and you're feeling you're going to faceplant, and as a matter of course you will given enough time. Nature of the game.

Ive played around with various settings and postures and here's what I've ended up doing for off road. I'd love interested seeing what others do.

--A somewhat less bent knees, with a body lean markedly more forward compared to roads.

--A softer settings that allows the wheel to tilt quite a bit.

--Rathsr than letting the wheel float between your legs instead clamp the wheel strongly between your knees. You'll have to figure out the drive setting so the wheel stays nicely stuck to you.

• 2 years later...