Helmet With Built-in Rear View Mirror

2 minutes ago, Bob Eisenman said:

This looks cool too if you're Garmin oriented and not worried about riders behind you. 

Cool, but not really related to this post (seeing behind you). If they could feed a video stream into the display that would be potentially useful.  But for ~$1000 I'd rather spend the $400 on the helmet.

I use my helmet mounted mirror to see cars which are approaching from behind me when I have to ride on the side of roads.

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, Bob Eisenman said:

It's $400, but does nothing by itself. The review that you posted pointed out that you have to spend ~$1000 to get a fully working setup. Ouch!

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Bob Eisenman said:

@Bob Eisenman how is the broken arm healing up?  I saw your photo the other day, are you riding with a cast?  With today's technology I am wondering did the doctors recommend any specific supplements for faster recovery?  (in case I ever have a bad fall also)

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, steve454 said:

@Bob Eisenman how is the broken arm healing up?  I saw your photo the other day, are you riding with a cast?  With today's technology I am wondering did the doctors recommend any specific supplements for faster recovery?  (in case I ever have a bad fall also)

Actually there never was anything except a sling. My injury progress is in the minds of the pros in physical therapy. On the dark side the doctor in charge is in the building associated with one of two doctors murdered recently in Boston. Did you check out the Converse sneakers in my last animation? The last visit was marked by declaring my broken side as 'weak' and my assertion that an area orthopedic authority was my college room mate for three years. The last time I saw him was when my former spouse tore an acl while skiing. At the time we were private school residents while I made 'ricin toxin' for an oncology doctor at Stonybrook (NY) something that I was never really convinced about despite my lack of authority.

Regarding tanks.....a friend in the guard a few years back said if you want to establish control in a small town ...just park a tank in town center.

Regarding Russian tanks....check out the 'Omsk' tank competition (annual?).

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Bob Eisenman said:

Regarding tanks.....a friend in the guard a few years back said if you want to establish control in a small town ...just park a tank in town center.

That reminds me of that movie where (I think it was Kelly's Heroes) where the Germans had one tank parked in the town center and would start it each day at noon to charge the batteries and remind everyone who was in charge.

8 minutes ago, Bob Eisenman said:

Actually there never was anything except a sling

So, are you still in the sling?

9 minutes ago, Bob Eisenman said:

Did you check out the Converse sneakers in my last animation?

No, I must have missed that.  Converse sneakers were pretty cool, though.

13 minutes ago, Bob Eisenman said:

oncology doctor

I have read oncology at least 50 times in my life but still have no idea what it means.  And probably don't want to know.:blink1:

16 minutes ago, Bob Eisenman said:

Regarding Russian tanks....check out the 'Omsk' tank competition (annual?).

I have always loved tanks, tried to get in to the army as a tank driver, but failed the physical.   Will google Omsk.  One of my favorite comics as a kid was the haunted tank, about a Stuart tank looked over by Jeb Stuart, some famous general in the civil war.  Loved the design of the tank until I found out later it was a light tank with no real firepower.  But the design and suspension system looked great.

11 hours ago, steve454 said:

So, are you still in the sling?

No (4 weeks only)

"No, I must have missed that.  Converse sneakers were pretty cool, though."...you mentioned Converse All Stars elsewhere....my animation (eyc rider wearing Converse style sneakers) is in the off topics section about adding RAM to Windows to improve laptop performance.

"I have read oncology at least 50 times in my life "...if you ever get cancer you'll see an oncologist.

"tried to get in to the army as a tank driver".... Patton lived a few towns away in Hamilton, MA

I was walking from the bus stop to where I live on Friday....flashing lights vehicles rushed by (not unusual) ....watched the Sunday news....learned of this a short distance away (30 minutes to Boston away from this town with 3 stops)

http://www.salemnews.com/news/update-boy-killed-after-struck-by-train/article_4d6eeb40-4d78-11e7-b1ee-7799ea0be217.html

Marty B. knew this input was going off topic ! I still dislike the topic theme of a helmet with a rear view mirror....too expensive and too motorcycle oriented for a device that has such a low speed and questionable legal registered purpose. Great looking rear visibility though.

• Upvote 2

I have had several helmets on my "wishlist" on Amazon since I decided I'd save for an 18" wheel. i don't feel comfortable getting a more powerful wheel w/o a real helmet with my commute, i do ride near traffic the whole way almost, this would be an amazing choice if it works as described. It's a good name in helmets, though it could be very hot I like a flip up face, rather than removing the helmet each time I talk to people or want to scratch/wipe my face.

1 minute ago, Vik's said:

Don't get them helmets for rear-vew properties - they aren't as usable they want them to be...  Got one for a test-drive from a friend of mine - it was almost impossible to get the right angle to be useful... Too bad as I like the idea...

One reviewer on Amazon said the same.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Hatchet said:

I have had several helmets on my "wishlist" on Amazon since I decided I'd save for an 18" wheel. i don't feel comfortable getting a more powerful wheel w/o a real helmet with my commute, i do ride near traffic the whole way almost, this would be an amazing choice if it works as described. It's a good name in helmets, though it could be very hot I like a flip up face, rather than removing the helmet each time I talk to people or want to scratch/wipe my face.

One reviewer on Amazon said the same.

I am not alone then hehe.

But really I am definitely happy with my Caberg flip helmet, but since I saw my pal got a cool to have function on his helmet I just had to try it! 

17 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Here is the helmet that I was talking about, which seems perfect for EUC usage, in terms of enhanced visibility of your surroundings while riding. It's pricey though at $400

https://www.amazon.com/Reevu-MSX1-Rear-View-Motorcycle-Helmet/dp/B00BB0DNNY 

Looks like a winner... Now if we can only find ourselves a guinea pig B)

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, swvision said:

Looks like a winner... Now if we can only find ourselves a guinea pig B)

I still have a hard time contemplating spending even $200 on a helmet. The guinea pig won't be me ;)

• Upvote 1

Bummer on this company!  Skully Inc. was supposed to revolutionize the motorcycle industry, raising millions of dollars to manufacture futuristic augmented-reality helmets. Their so called AR-1 futuristic helmet was touted to include a transparent sceen in the visor that displays speed, front and rear view and other information before the rider's eyes along with voice control.

Instead, the founders of the Bay Area start-up were accused of spending company money on vacations, sports cars, their San Francisco rents, weekly apartment cleanings, meals out and a visit to a strip club.

Edited by Rehab1
  • Upvote 3

• 2 years later...
On 6/18/2017 at 6:39 PM, DarkSheer said:

I have this helmet, as you may well know. I also posted about this on the facebook group.

That screenshot of the inside-view of the mirror is a bit exaggerated. Its not that big/wide.

But it does give you a decent view behind. I dont have to turn my head anymore to check behind me before making turns etc.

Just taking a quick peek now and then keeps me informed if there are anyone or anything of importance behind me.

But the last few days I have been leaving the helmet at home. I dont ride at very high speeds, I stop and start a lot (I play Ingress), so still...as nice and sweet as the helmet is, I cant bring myself to use it on the normal trips I take. Its a big helmet, I guess I am not that used to wearing a big motorcycle helmet.

But I can see myself using it alot more when going on longer trips or when riding in the streets with cars.

I might get a cheap motorcross-helmet for those "small" trips and when I play Ingress.

I was contemplating this one since the Skully is $1,899 (whew). I'm surprised that there aren't more helmets with HUD displays. Why wasn't that a game changer?