KS16: To not use washers when installing the trolley bar

flass

Hi!

For reasons, I had to do some disassembly of the trolley bar from the KS-16. When I was about to put it back, I could for my life not tighten the screw that is positioned against the bottom of the trolley bar (I only did this on one side, have not touched the other bar). I pushed the screw very hard while trying to tighten but it was just rotating on and on without ever attach to anyhting. I even caused a small crack in the plastic around because of the force.

The thing is that there are a couple of washers on this screw. three I guess, or perhaps even four? And I removed those washers and tried to tighten the screw anyway. That went very well. 

Since I am a complete loser in regards to mechanical stuff, I have no idea how bad it is to leave these washers out, or if it is bad at all? As far as I could conclude, this screw is only used to keep the bar more stable in position? Not that it would get loose without it, since it is also fastened into place with the help of a metal disc. Anyway, the screw I am referring to is the one pictured in the attached screenshot. 

Skärmavbild 2017-06-11 kl. 13.31.41.png

I go to Home Depot a lot so I have some ideas about screws and nuts. In the picture the washers are absolutely must have. The screw itself cannot keep the tension on the plastic so you need a lock washer for that. The screw head is too small too so a regular washer is also needed. You said the plastic was cracked, so I suggest you put some epoxy glue on it. Those glue always comes with 2 tubes. You mixed them then it became very hard. Best for repairing plastics.

After the plastic is glued, you also need to use a larger diameter screw to put in that hole, with the lock washer and regular washer. Tighten it by hand, not electric drivers. Then it should be ok.

2 hours ago, Philip W said:

I go to Home Depot a lot so I have some ideas about screws and nuts. In the picture the washers are absolutely must have. The screw itself cannot keep the tension on the plastic so you need a lock washer for that. The screw head is too small too so a regular washer is also needed. You said the plastic was cracked, so I suggest you put some epoxy glue on it. Those glue always comes with 2 tubes. You mixed them then it became very hard. Best for repairing plastics.

After the plastic is glued, you also need to use a larger diameter screw to put in that hole, with the lock washer and regular washer. Tighten it by hand, not electric drivers. Then it should be ok.

If I do not remember totally wrong there were no lock washers, just 3-4 small plain washers. I might be able to manage it to fit with one washer, but with several of them it is not getting tightened. 

I will probably have my reasons to open the wheel once again soon, I will take a look at this screw at that time and see if I can fix it according to your recommendations. Thanks a lot for your wise words and for taking the time, I really appreciate that!

Archived