Jump to content

Latest Firmware for 9B1 E+; Experiences


kenmalecki
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi all. I'm a long time 9B1 rider. I bought three of them early last year, right in the middle of the firmware debacle. I was finally able to get all three onto V 1.3.5, and that has been working OK.

I searched for a recent discussion on this topic and couldn't find one.

i see that 1.4.0 is the latest "production" release, although like most, I have little confidence in Ninebot anymore.

Is V 1.4.0 the latest? Can anyone share their experiences with V 1.4.0? If it seems to be stable, I'd like to get "current".

Thanks!

Ken

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I also have the ninebot one E + and the firmware 1.4.0. What is the reason why the battery suddenly turns off? This is, of course, a major safety risk, and you can make a fall and get more or less difficult. I only know that about 10-15 % battery warning signals come and the pedals raise. Then you should descend from the device and recharge the battery. If you ignore this several times, the battery suddenly turns off suddenly, without further warning signals.

 

 

20170611_120301.png

Edited by MOS GERMANY
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, kenmalecki said:

I was finally able to get all three onto V 1.3.5

My advice is to stay with 1.3.5 version.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, kenmalecki said:

Hi all. I'm a long time 9B1 rider. I bought three of them early last year, right in the middle of the firmware debacle. I was finally able to get all three onto V 1.3.5, and that has been working OK.

I searched for a recent discussion on this topic and couldn't find one.

i see that 1.4.0 is the latest "production" release, although like most, I have little confidence in Ninebot anymore.

Is V 1.4.0 the latest? Can anyone share their experiences with V 1.4.0? If it seems to be stable, I'd like to get "current".

Thanks!

Ken

 

1.4.0 is almost a year old (or more than) and I don't reacall any problems being connected to this version (other than maybe 8kHz sound but that got introduced in 1.3.5?).

Anyway, there is a relatively easy way to go back and forth between firmware versions on E+ so you can try any version you want and revert to a previous versions if you are not pleased with the latest one:

 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe the OP heard about the problems Ninebot had with their P model, which was ultimately cancelled after problems with the boards and a many failed attempts to fix in software what really was a mainboard not designed to drive the new 800W motor. I think that's what triggered those many firmware versions we saw during that time. I could be wrong though. What I can say for myself is that I never had any problems (not with 1.4.0 and not with any other firmware I used during the last 2 years) and I don't know of any problem reports regarding 1.4.0 running on an E+. There may be some related to the P model, but that has nothing to do with the OPs question.

Edited by Christoph Zens
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, RooMiniPro said:

I have done over 1000km on my E+ running 1.4. I have not had any problems. I have run my battery down so low that the max speed is a brisk walk. It has never cut out.

When you say that most people have little faith in Ninebot what are you basing this on? I thought Ninebot machines were generally considered to be quite reliable, well built and safe, albeit somewhat slow and boring by current standards.

I think he refers to faulty firmwares that Ninebot rolled out to unsupecting users, especially v1.2.6 caused the EUC to stop balancing, out of the blue... There were some others too but I don't remember the exact version numbers. People became very sceptical to ninebot firmwares after those incidents.

Edit: 1.2.9 was a disaster, as well as 1.1.6...

Edited by Vik's
typo
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you all for the replies and great info! This forum is great - so many willing to help.

Yes - I was referring to the firmware releases that made people afraid to upgrade - at least I was. It was clear that Ninebot was scrambling to repair a firmware problem, that they didn't understand how to do it, and they didn't understand software config mgmt. And back then, you couldn't go back after an upgrade. Glad to hear that's possible now.

i should probably leave well enough alone, and stay on 1.3.5. But since I have three 9B1's, maybe I'll upgrade one to 1.4.0 and see if there's any noticeable improvement. I do have a vague tilt back happening occasionally at slow speeds. If so, I'll upgrade the others.

Thanks all!

Ken

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I did notice the vague tiltback too on slow speeds.. I am on 1.3.5 and not willing to change :-) I noticed it last weekend when driving next to my wife who was on a bike.. Rather slow driving and I felt the pedals kicking back a bit. I wasn't sure what it meant as I was on slow speed.. but now you confirmed my feel, so I am not worried :-) Thans!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't like the tilt back. It can be disconcerting and might even be dangerous if I were to overreact, which I think would be the natural response if my brain didn't intervene in time.

What's really odd is that I have three 9B1's, and only one has the vague tilt back at slow speeds. It's the newest of the three. Perhaps there are differences in the hardware.

Ken

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/11/2017 at 10:47 AM, RooMiniPro said:

Yes the P was quite a failure. The E+ and S1/S2 seems to be as good as it gets for reliability. 

Agreed. I have the S1, with over 100 miles on it. It has never dropped me yet, and I have ridden to 14% battery. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/10/2017 at 0:55 PM, kenmalecki said:

 

Hi all. I'm a long time 9B1 rider. I bought three of them early last year, right in the middle of the firmware debacle. I was finally able to get all three onto V 1.3.5, and that has been working OK.

I searched for a recent discussion on this topic and couldn't find one.

i see that 1.4.0 is the latest "production" release, although like most, I have little confidence in Ninebot anymore.

Is V 1.4.0 the latest? Can anyone share their experiences with V 1.4.0? If it seems to be stable, I'd like to get "current".

Thanks!

Ken

 

 

If you have three, update one to 1.4.0.  You are in the perfect position to evaluate the differences.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/11/2017 at 0:44 PM, Vik's said:

I think he refers to faulty firmwares that Ninebot rolled out to unsupecting users, especially v1.2.6 caused the EUC to stop balancing, out of the blue... There were some others too but I don't remember the exact version numbers. People became very sceptical to ninebot firmwares after those incidents.

Edit: 1.2.9 was a disaster, as well as 1.1.6...

I wonder if that was to kill unauthorized resellers profits?  By destroying black market Ninebots?  I never had a problem with 1.2.5, 1.3.5, and now 1.4.0, but maybe it's because I don't try to overload the wheel.:unsure:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/12/2017 at 1:11 PM, kenmalecki said:

. But since I have three 9B1's, maybe I'll upgrade one to 1.4.0 and see if there's any noticeable improvement.

Please do.  If I had 3 I would update one of them just to compare.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, GoinPostal said:

Agreed. I have the S1, with over 100 miles on it. It has never dropped me yet, and I have ridden to 14% battery. 

Why would you do that? I mean ride to 14%. My E+ performance drops off in a steeper and steeper curve the lower the battery gets.  I just noticed again today that my E+ feels way weaker at 50% trying to climb hilly sidewalks.  It's not as much fun to ride feeling like there is very little power left.  I am starting to understand why some people like the wheels with larger battery capacity.  Even though I don't do long rides, after the battery gets low it just feels weaker.

Good to hear the S1 is so reliable.  If it hasn't failed in a 100 miles, it will probably never fail.:thumbup:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/11/2017 at 2:25 AM, Christoph Zens said:

(close to the 1500W max.

I did not know the Ninebot was 1500w!  That's more powerful than I thought.  It's like the Chevy smallblock of EUC's.  Put in a bigger battery, and it can compete with any wheel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, steve454 said:

I wonder if that was to kill unauthorized resellers profits?  By destroying black market Ninebots?  I never had a problem with 1.2.5, 1.3.5, and now 1.4.0, but maybe it's because I don't try to overload the wheel.:unsure:

I think it was 1.2.9 that became very infamous, as it bricked the wheels... another version blew the mosfets on quite some boards. Don't remember the specifics, and not sure what version numbers were exactly, but it was a turning point where Ninebot went from being one of the most esteemed wheels to a more dubious quality in peoples' minds. Some reseller in US sold E's or E+'s at something like $499 at one point in 2015 or early 2016.

 

1 hour ago, steve454 said:

I did not know the Ninebot was 1500w!  That's more powerful than I thought.  It's like the Chevy smallblock of EUC's.  Put in a bigger battery, and it can compete with any wheel.

That's the maximum rating, the "power" wheels have that as nominal, and peaks at 3-4kW (3000-4000W) or more...

Edited by esaj
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, steve454 said:

Why would you do that? I mean ride to 14%. My E+ performance drops off in a steeper and steeper curve the lower the battery gets.  I just noticed again today that my E+ feels way weaker at 50% trying to climb hilly sidewalks.  It's not as much fun to ride feeling like there is very little power left.  I am starting to understand why some people like the wheels with larger battery capacity.  Even though I don't do long rides, after the battery gets low it just feels weaker.

Good to hear the S1 is so reliable.  If it hasn't failed in a 100 miles, it will probably never fail.:thumbup:

Why would I do that? Simple.. wasn't paying attention, and found myself a mile from home and at 20 percent. It was that or carry it home for a mile. ?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, esaj said:

I think it was 1.2.9 that became very infamous, as it bricked the wheels... another version blew the mosfets on quite some boards. Don't remember the specifics, and not sure what version numbers were exactly, but it was a turning point where Ninebot went from being one of the most esteemed wheels to a more dubious quality in peoples' minds. Some reseller in US sold E's or E+'s at something like $499 at one point in 2015 or early 2016.

 

That's the maximum rating, the "power" wheels have that as nominal, and peaks at 3-4kW (3000-4000W) or more...

ForwardCalifornia was selling them at $449 in may 2016. I think I would still buy now at that price if I didn't own one already. Still a good wheel and a good motor delivering enough power for what it was designed for and even more (like the speed of P model by easy FW mod).

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...