What is a Top Member?

"Top Members" (group) is currently defined by any of the following four conditions:
1) Anyone in the top 20 for "reputation" in this list.
2) Anyone in this complete list (of 48 accounts) for "reputation" who has a Points/Content ratio of 1 or above.
3) Anyone in the monthly leaderboard.
4) Special cases that doesn't fall under the above three formulas (nobody yet at the time of this posting)

Anyone who becomes a "Top Member" will remain a "Top Member" even if they no longer fit this formula in the future unless they get promoted or they get demoted for some serious rule violation (unlikely).

If you spot someone who qualifies in #1, #2, or #3 who haven't been promoted to "Top Member" then please let me know so I can make the change.

"Okay I get it but why are you doing this silly system and what are the perks?"

This all started from trying to find a temporary solution for a problem detailed in this thread on my first and second post in the thread. Read full thread for full details.

5 minutes ago, dbfrese said:

Would I qualify under #2?

No but you're qualified under #4. Done. :P 

EDIT: I think you're just off that "complete list of 48" at spot number 49. I can't tell for sure since that's all I have to go by myself.

17 hours ago, Mono said:

What is your concern to let all members of the topmembers list be in the "Top Members" group?

I assume you meant "not let". Because the points/content ratio matters (at least in theory). I'm also well aware that people can "game the system" (and risk being banned for doing so) but I just wanted a quick transparent "formula" (for #1, #2, and #3) to select a significant batch of people that are considered "trusted" and this is the method I came up with. Of course #4 isn't transparent but I don't plan to do a lot of #4s. :P 

31 minutes ago, John Eucist said:

I assume you meant "not let".

Maybe, I did not mean to write "not let" though. I guess I have to revise my understand of how to use the word concern :huh: The word seems to have strangely different meanings like either worry (how I meant it) or interest (how, I guess, you understood it).

I am not sure I understand why a member with 400 likes cannot be trusted if they have written, say, 500 or 1500 posts without violating the forum rules, while they can be trusted if they had written, say, 10 posts. To me it seems even rather the other way around. 

12 minutes ago, Mono said:

Maybe, I did not mean to write "not let" though. I guess I have to revise my understand of how to use the word concern :huh: The word seems to have strangely different meanings like either worry (how I meant it) or interest (how, I guess, you understood it).

Actually, now that you mention it, I am getting confused myself as to which way is the correct way to say what you meant. Maybe you were right all along. But, more importantly, I understood what you meant. :D Can anyone else with a better grasp of English (than me) want to chime in?

@John Eucist This is your forum! You are the founder! You pay the dues voluntarily without donations! 99 .99 percent of the forum members will agree with you on whatever you decide is best!

Just now, Rehab1 said:

@John Eucist This is your forum! You are the founder! You pay the dues voluntarily without donations! 99 .99 percent of the forum members will agree with you on whatever you decide is best!

LOL. No I don't think "99.99 percent of the forum members will agree with me with whatever I decide is best". I don't even know, myself, what is best. The community IS the forum and I will almost always seek opinions from the community and the mod team with regards to any significant changes that will impact the community. However, ultimately, I have to be the one to make some decisions based on the input from the community.

30 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

You pay the dues voluntarily without donations! 99 .99 percent of the forum members will agree with you on whatever you decide is best!

We would be a very Kafkaesque/Orwellian/??? community then. OK, agreed in the sense that I can agree with someone to take decisions (and hence the responsibility ;) without to agree with each single decision.

3 hours ago, Mono said:

We would be a very Kafkaesque/Orwellian/??? community then. OK, agreed in the sense that I can agree with someone to take decisions (and hence the responsibility ;) without to agree with each single decision.

My comment was not directed at any one individual. You have definitely made some excellent valid points as have others. I just wanted John to be cognizant of the fact that forum members as a whole are very appreciative for his excellent service and dedication to our community and that the vast majority of members will be supportive of his final decision.

46 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Are you certain you can trust all those people on the lists?  Some of them seem a little shady if you ask me.  :efef2e0fff:  :efefd0f676:

They aren't "plus" if that's your concern. :w00t2:

46 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

How does one "game the system?"

There are many ways but I'd rather not teach everyone something we don't want them to do. But the mod team can spot them if it happens.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaming_the_system

• 1 month later...

As the freshest newbie here, albeit one of the most longstanding lurkers to the domain, I'd suppose the opposite applies to me - which worries me as the simple thought of the alternative brings tears to the eyes.

On 12.7.2017 at 1:33 PM, Rahere said:

As the freshest newbie here, albeit one of the most longstanding lurkers to the domain, I'd suppose the opposite applies to me - which worries me as the simple thought of the alternative brings tears to the eyes.

Welcome to the active side of the forum @Rahere! Happy to send a reputation point your way to start reconstructing your emotional stability :cheers:

On 7/12/2017 at 7:33 AM, Rahere said:

Welcome! We are one big happy family sharing the same interests so please feel free to join in on the conversations! 

Archived