Cryptocurrency

lizardmech

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, lizardmech said:

Eth is going up due to chinese bitcoin miners threatening to sabotage the bitcoin network. They are demanding changes be made to the software but have little support. The problem is while bitcoin was down in value the last two years chinese companies were able to get a monopoly on producing specialized chips built only for mining bitcoin. They constricted the supply of the chips so a select few chinese groups have an overwhelming amount of network power. The cut off date for it to be resolved is august 1.

Any source for this? I tried googling and didn't find anything. :P 

The chinese bitcoin miners are going to kill bitcoin if they don't give in and agree to the segwit upgrade soon. They're being really short sighted as they have hundreds of millions of dollars worth of custom chips designed only for mining BTC. If another currency takes over they won't be able to mine it.

11 hours ago, lizardmech said:

The chinese bitcoin miners are going to kill bitcoin if they don't give in and agree to the segwit upgrade soon. They're being really short sighted as they have hundreds of millions of dollars worth of custom chips designed only for mining BTC. If another currency takes over they won't be able to mine it.

Googling "segwit" got me a lot of information about what you said. Thanks.

I don't know about all the other altcoins but looking at longer term charts (say 2 years-ish) for both BTC and ETH they are both extremely "overbought" right now. And I am using logarithmic charts not linear charts (big difference). By overbought I don't mean the price is high. It just means it's been going relatively sustained up with very little "correction". Especially from around half a year ago leading up to today. A correction doesn't necessarily mean the price has to drop significantly. It can trade somewhat "sideways" for some time then it can become "healthy" again. Hopefully this will happen before the end of this year so I can accumulate some for longer term cold storage.

They're certainly over bought. I still have no idea what will happen, they seem to defy all conventional logic at times. There should be a bump in July when Japan and Australia enact changes to laws that allow crypto to be bought and sold without sales tax. Bitcoin segwit could go either way, if it doesn't go smoothly eth might take its place or the entire crypto market could crash. While a success might send bitcoin even higher. Eth is apparently having issues coping with the increased volume of late which might hinder it taking over.

14 minutes ago, John Eucist said:

Not going to try to catch the falling knife right now. :P 

I meant the potential longer term falling knife. The current one is probably a smaller falling knife within the bigger falling knife. If that makes sense.

On 6/4/2017 at 8:19 AM, esaj said:

I mined some maybe 2009 or 2010... lost the wallet since though :P  Wasn't that much really, maybe 0.5BTC or less. Didn't get into it since, but some people have made pretty good profits (and probably some have lost a lot too):  http://www.coindesk.com/bought-bitcoin-2009-now-worth-983000/

$26.60 to $980000 in 4 years, not bad ;)

Browsed through your old post again. Have to mention that those 5,000 BTC is currently worth $12M ($980K in the article). Was, in fact, $15M just last week.

Man, I love seeing some crypto conversation on here. I LOVE the technology and have been in from the start. I started mining bitcoin when it was literally worth some change, a couple of dimes if I recall per coin. It made it to about $60 for each coin and I thought it was some sort of crazy miracle that I went from .20 to 60.00 a unit. Sold what I had and bought a couple guitars, thinking I came out way ahead, which I guess I did. Forgot it even existed and realized a year and a half later that I was an idiot. I was in high school but I am still sad I didn't stick with it.

My favorite moment was the boom of Dogecoin that one December. Changed my life and made cryptos part of my life again. Lots of awesome stories and people.

@John Eucist Do you know anything about antshares? They have a big presentation tomorrow in china. Supposedly they are renaming it to different branding and announcing partnerships there's rumors of Jack Ma being a guest speaker but english info is pretty scarce.

Just now, lizardmech said:

@John Eucist Do you know anything about antshares? They have a big presentation tomorrow in china. Supposedly they are renaming it to different branding and announcing partnerships there's rumors of Jack Ma being a guest speaker but english info is pretty scarce.

I just know it went up like crazy a day or two ago. "Antshares" sounds pretty awesome, they shouldn't rename it.

Yeah unfortunately I can't read Chinese either but getting Jack Ma should give it some boost and legitimacy. Do you know what's special about it technically? Is it a superior coin?

So I got in on some BTC around the 2500 level a few days ago. I think I'm going to "HODL" them for a few years. Will keep accumulating on dips hereafter. I also got some LTC, ETH, XMR, XRP, for diversification as well as very tiny bit of IOTA "just in case". :P 

Archived