Through the help of a ketogenic diet, I've brought my weight down from 265 to 215 with an ultimate goal of 180. Even at my current/goal weights, though, I know I'm more limited in my EUC choices. 

After reading through the threads here, it seems like the consensus is to get a Inmotion V5F/V5F+ as a beginner wheel. However, I've also seen that you should snag a V8 if you're over 190lbs, and well, I just can't justify spending a grand on a wheel before I get a chance to ride/learn it. I've also heard some concerning things about overheating, though I don't know it that's overblown.

Now, Amazon is selling the Ninebot Segway One S1 (500w nominal, 310Wh) for $599, and even though it's slower than some of the more advanced models, the price is right and I *really* like that I can get a stupidly cheap 3 or 4 year warranty on it (I don't usually buy these buy ALWAYS get them on things that break regularly, SquareTrade has paid for my last three espresso makers). Would this still be a good choice for someone that's still got a bit of extra mass?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I faced your exact problem and it narrowed my safest and best choices, I felt, to powerful and therefore more expensive wheels.  

What I did was order a machine powerful enough to handle my weight, do it safely(a big factor to me) , and go up hills, with enough battery to carry me without pooping out on me early. 

I also ordered myself a starter wheel on ebay for $230, and that's what I'm practicing on now.  If I bang that one up while learning, it won't break my heart like ruining the looks of a big expensive EUC would.  By the time my big wheel comes in the mail, I should have at least a couple of weeks of practice.  

You might consider trying that yourself.  It's fun, a good learning tool, and cheaper than buying a $600 or $1000 wheel and then deciding it's not powerful enough so you need to go buy another pricey wheel anyway.

Don't forget to put aside a chunk of cash for protective gear too!  And things like a tire pump, maybe a tire valve extension, etc.  There's always something extra to pay for when you take up a new hobby.

1. People here bought Ninebots and ordered a better (faster) wheel after just one week. Nobody ever complained about buying too much of a wheel.

43 minutes ago, eatsleafsandshoots said:

I just can't justify spending a grand on a wheel before I get a chance to ride/learn it.

Why? Worried about scratching it up? You can add padding.

Worried electric unicycles aren't for you or you won't learn? With 1000+ $ spent, you have ample motivation to learn:) (this may be a positive if you might give up on a smaller investment)

3. It's not just price, but also tire size (14 vs 16 inch or even bigger), it gives different riding experiences (more stable and better for bumps/offroad the bigger the tire is). So you have to think what you want from the wheel in that respect.

4. Wheels usually break right at the start (production defect) or hold for a loooong time. At 4 years, your batteries will be weak and there will be nice and shiny, much improved models available. Forget about warranties after a few months.

5. Probably all 3 wheels work for you (the Ninebot might be too constrained as it says 100kg max and is already slow). If it's between the 3, take the V8. But what I'm really trying here is to get you to consider a more powerful wheel (Gotways or Kingsong 16S or 18);)

1 hour ago, eatsleafsandshoots said:

reading through the threads here, it seems like the consensus is to get a Inmotion V5F/V5F+ as a beginner wheel. However, I've also seen that you should snag a V8 if you're over 190lbs, and well, I just can't justify spending a grand on a wheel before I get a chance to ride/learn it.

With almost ANY purchase of anything in life, this would be the correct, logical thought process. 

BUT.......eucs are different :).  If you're interested enough to have found your way here, and presumably you've done the usual youtube binge-watch of videos, you're already hooked. You WILL love it, but what will REALLY hurt your wallet is if you go cheap/under-powered for your first wheel, and then have that inevitable need to splurge again on a second wheel, which ends up hurting the wallet more.

Go 'big' from the start, and you will be saving money in the long run. Plus a more desirable wheel will just increase the determination during learning. I'd go for the V8, given your weight. The price WILL be 'justified'......but later, once this becomes your drug. Just make sure you pad the hell out of it because you don't want your wheel all scratched up by the time you switch from 'learning' to 'enjoying.' (Though learning IS enjoyable most of the time, too).

Sorry @eatsleafsandshoots but if I were your rider weight, I wouldn't touch any of these wheels (all good wheels), i.e. anything sub 800W nominal, sub 680wH battery.

Due to the nature of EUC being very dependent on rider weight (I've lost 5 lbs at certain points and had noticeable EUC performance gains), you need to read the forum knowing what the rider weight of the reviewer is to know which experience you're reading about.

(case in point: way back, I was going back and forth with a forum user regarding KingSong overheating. basically, with me being ~170lbs, I've never experienced overheating on my KS18A, while the 200+lb riders complained regularly regarding overheating on their KingSongs).

Hi @eatsleafsandshoots - being closer to your original weight than your current one, I can relate to your dilemma. 

I believe that being somewhat solid adds additional challenges to riding an EUC. Though everything mentioned above is also very valid. 

I would recommend you avoid a 14" wheel - the smaller diameter (combined with the heavier load) means that a lot more torque is required to lift the wheel over even small variations in the ground height - such as transitioning curbs or trying to get out of that pothole you didn't quite avoid. 

And while it won't impact you initially, don't expect to get anything like the range stated by manufacturers or other (lighter) riders. 

Without knowing your specific riding requirements, I would generally suggest a 16" (or maybe 18") wheel for a heavier riders first "serious" wheel, with as much battery as you can get.

But that makes things a bit pricier, so a cheap learner wheel becomes more practical. And if that is all it is intended for (that and for others to try), then don't worry too much about battery - I'd look for a cheap 16" wheel, with a reasonably powerful motor. 

You helpful bastards, trying to get me to spend more money! My wife hates the lot of you :)

Damn, sounds like the Ninebot/Segway S1 is out. Kinda wanted that one due to quick availability/ability to buy an Amazon/Asurion warranty on it that's transferable and could help with resale price if I didn't like it. The only reasonable 16"s I see out there are IPS models, which look crazy cool to me but seem to have issues with reliability...

Real world, this would be for getting my from my parking lot to my office in a downtown environment - a 2 mile trip, tops, so battery won't be an issue. The issue, apparently, is that I could end up loving EUCing and want to do it more often!

3 minutes ago, eatsleafsandshoots said:

You helpful bastards, trying to get me to spend more money! My wife hates the lot of you :)

The issue, apparently, is that I could end up loving EUCing and want to do it more often!

Yes you will...

Just remind your wife of all the quiet time she is going to get! 

19 minutes ago, eatsleafsandshoots said:

Damn, sounds like the Ninebot/Segway S1 is out. Kinda wanted that one due to quick availability/ability to buy an Amazon/Asurion warranty on it that's transferable and could help with resale price if I didn't like it. The only reasonable 16"s I see out there are IPS models, which look crazy cool to me but seem to have issues with reliability...

Real world, this would be for getting my from my parking lot to my office in a downtown environment - a 2 mile trip, tops, so battery won't be an issue. The issue, apparently, is that I could end up loving EUCing and want to do it more often!

to lazy to transfer kg into lbs ...

i HAVE had a weight of 105kg...and from mid January to begin of May i got it down to 83kg :-) Also with ketogenic/no carbs!

with my 105kg i started with a kS14c ...this was on its edges, when shifting my weight around, .the Ks16B worked better, but what really made it, where the high power wheels with big batterie you find in my signature!

I would also advice not to take a wheel below 820wh....forget all below 520/680wh....weight plays a significant role in distance and even more in safety when choosing your wheel....a lot of parallel batterie blocks are allways good for a heavy rider!

dont worry about scratching...pad/pack your wheel up with foam and you are good to go!

21 minutes ago, eatsleafsandshoots said:

Real world, this would be for getting my from my parking lot to my office in a downtown environment - a 2 mile trip, tops, so battery won't be an issue. 

Just to reiterate, this is bullshit. ?

You're talking about your use in clinical terms. This is more like a crack-cocaine habit. You START OFF thinking you use it only when you really need to.....but then......you start making excuses to use it.....and then.....you hide your excess consumption from your loved ones......and then.......you insist you don't have 'a problem' when you KNOW you do. But a GOOD problem.

41 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

It's true. When I tell my family "I'm going for a ride, see you in a little while!" they say "Again?

Really, mine say:"Who are you?".

9 minutes ago, Keith said:

Really, mine say:"Who are you?".

My kids are 17 and 18, and driving me insane. I think if they said "Who are you?" I would just say "Oh sorry, wrong house" and walk away whistling :D

I did a quick unplanned ride today, was somehow pissed the whole time, also could not get my feet right on the pedals so they were uncomfortable, decided to not make it too long, and I did "only" 30 km (19 miles), 80 minutes.

Point is, big batteries are awesome. I could never live with a wheel that only does 30 km (like the V8).

I guess you could get away with a 680Wh ACM/msuper V3/KS18 (these come in that battery size), but of course 820 Wh would be nicer, but these packs are made from more expensive cells and the price difference to the higher capacities made from less expensive (but equally good) cells is surprisingly small but it's a huge battery improvement also the Gotway wheels are 84V for 1300Wh and 1600Wh which is quite a lot better so why not take 1300, but hey of course 1600 is better and it's tempting and you could go for the max capacity and also for losing so much weight you deserve a reward of some kind right?;)

etc.

Check these out:

Gotway ACM (better in 84V versions - 1300 and 1600 Wh)

Gotway msuper V3 (same)

Kingsong 16S (no non-S with puny <1000W motor)

Kingsong 18 (18Asomething with 1200W or upcoming 18S with 1500 W motor)

--

I guess it's time for you to think what you would do with the EUC (and tell a little more about how you came to them and here so we can judge your needs better). Really just for a short commute? Will you use it for leisure too? If yes, how far do you think you'll go? Does exploring appeal to you? Offroad vs road? Your first intuition is usually right about what you'll do with the wheel.

The only reasonable 16"s I see out there are IPS models, which look crazy cool to me but seem to have issues with reliability...

Just remember, esp for IPS, if they do not split out nominal and max power, they are listing max power (ala the old EUC days when wheels were less powerful). You can rough estimate nominal power to be anywhere from 1/2 to 1/3 rd of max power.

Bigger battery is not always about the range.

The more cells you can get in parallel, the more load the wheel can handle without overcurrent/overcharge (i.e stopping you from riding or just cutting out). This usually comes in the bigger battery pack sizes, 460, 680WH+.

1 hour ago, KingSong69 said:

i HAVE had a weight of 105kg...and from mid January to begin of May i got it down to 83kg :-)

By God, what have you done ?

Did you cut your head or arms off ?? :D

My wife did something comparable in the last months, and I'm still shocked when she comes home and I believe at first sight that a skeleton enters the house.

But I don't want to smash up a $1,500 Gotway right as I start learning, right? Just wish there were a way for someone my size to see if they even like this, first... I'd be OK taking a $200 bath on a smaller EUC I had to resell if I ended up really liking EUCing...

Just now, eatsleafsandshoots said:

But I don't want to smash up a $1,500 Gotway right as I start learning, right? Just wish there were a way for someone my size to see if they even like this, first... I'd be OK taking a $200 bath on a smaller EUC I had to resell if I ended up really liking EUCing...

Based on just this forum, it would seem that the odds are very highly in favor of you liking it. I think there's been a few cases (probably can be counted with the fingers of one hand) where people have given up on learning, but after the initial hurdle, I don't remember anyone really giving up on riding(?) Maybe after a year or two some don't ride as much, but at least use it for transportation.

1 minute ago, eatsleafsandshoots said:

Have you looked at Airwheel?  Check them out, they're not that expensive, but seem to be good starter wheels.   I saw videos of someone climbing hills in San Francisco.   Just don't get one with the smallest battery.

2 minutes ago, eatsleafsandshoots said:

Maybe the right deal on a 67V Gotway from someone who's upgrading to 84V? Or a Rockwheel GT16 which is priced closer to $1K?

And if you pad up, you can always sell on here, I've been successful selling most all my previous wheels.

@eatsleafsandshoots You WILL love riding if you get a wheel^_^ It's like flying/gliding while seeming to navigate by thought alone once it "clicks". There is no "That was fun, but I don't like floating around like a superhero."

Therefore, i suggest you invest in a mid-range wheel right from the start and learning is generally easier on a heavier EUC with a fatter tire. EUCs are one of those things you won't regret having saved for a better model. Getting tilt-back or slowing to a crawl on hills is a drag, lol. You'll really start to hate it and think "Man, i shoulda got an 18" wheel" or whatever. Then you'll buy the mid-range anyway, haha.

Just my 2wh

2 hours ago, houseofjob said:

Maybe the right deal on a 67V Gotway from someone who's upgrading to 84V?

That would be very promising!  How about a new 84V ACM that is torn apart? Think of it as an educational project! Learn to rebuild and also ride them! ;)

Archived