Trip across Europe on electric unicycle

Uliana

I think she'll be just fine. She deserves to be able to make her dream a reality. Those not going on the journey, shouldn't worry about it, do you same people stay up not being able to sleep because a man is on the space station? Hehe,  People do amazing and hard things all the time, and this is hers.

Good luck, and have fun. Post pictures :D

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

@Uliana - if you are travelling by yourself, please do be very careful as you never know who might see you as an opportunity to take advantage of.  I don't know how safe the areas you will be traveling through are, but there have been a few stories of people being robbed on their wheels and attacked.   It would probably be safer to travel with an EUC buddy.  (I hear @Rehab1 is available with his new modified Gotway ACM16!  He's quite handy at EUC repairs too!)  

Actually i really hope to find someone who would go with me, but it's not so easy to find somebody so crazy and who could has time and money too at the same time.  So i just hope and wait if it will come a mirical ?

On 6/8/2017 at 10:21 AM, Uliana said:

Oh. Shit. Haha. Now i need to change my plan absolutely.

I wanted to go to Italy so much. And Germany. Hmmm

Ok, so, maybe i could go through the north.

I will use Gotway msuper v3 1600wh. I hope that it would be enough for going about 100km/per a day. And i'd like to charge it in a cafe on the road, if it would be possible. So maybe i could ride more than 100. I hope to go about 150 per a day.

Maybe this robot will go with you.

2 hours ago, Uliana said:

Actually i really hope to find someone who would go with me, but it's not so easy to find somebody so crazy and who could has time and money too at the same time.  So i just hope and wait if it will come a mirical ?

I doubt you'll take that way, but if you happen to make a run through Sweden and end up in Gothenburg, give me a holler.

3 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

a - if you are travelling by yourself, please do be very careful as you never know who might see you as an opportunity to take advantage of.

When you had that long blonde hair last year posing in a bikini were you taken advantage of?:P

7 hours ago, Uliana said:

I have time, i have a wheel, i have some money and i like my idea. So, that's enough. Maybe i am like really crazy russian, but, doesn't matter, it seems interesting for me. And of course i could find more beautiful places in my way if i will go slowly and by not so common ways. ??

You are a very adventurous girl! I think your trip will be almost as exciting for the readers and viewers as for yourself!

8 hours ago, Uliana said:

Hahahahahah ? hey, guys ?

You are right everyone. Maybe i would have a better trip if i would use more traditional transport and so on, but when i am thinking about go just only by euc it seems to me smthg very cool and icredible. I know about it could be boring sometimes or dangerous, but... well. I just want to do that. If something will go really wrong, ok, i will give up and confess that i was wrong, but now i don't understand why can't i just try to do that.

I have time, i have a wheel, i have some money and i like my idea. So, that's enough. Maybe i am like really crazy russian, but, doesn't matter, it seems interesting for me. And of course i could find more beautiful places in my way if i will go slowly and by not so common ways. ??

Can I marry you!

Personally speaking , riding long distances EVERY day might become irritating to the knees (bones & leg muscles in general) and in the event of a tumble which creates a sore spot (knee?) then the whole idea becomes a fiasco. Youth and age might see this differently. I'd say 'go for the waffles'!

Лично говоря, езда на большие расстояния КАЖДЫЙ день может стать раздражающим для коленей (кости и мышцы ног в целом), и в случае падения, которое создает больное пятно (колено?), Тогда вся идея становится фиаско.

27 minutes ago, Bob Eisenman said:

Alternative to an EUC

Odd machine!  I'm surprised it's -- at least to hear the video tell it -- such a big success.

It's wonderful how inventive people are in the personal transport field these days.  Perhaps the day of the EUC being popular in the U.S. might not be so far in the future.

I am a professional seafarer. But my dream was (and still is) to pass Pacific ocean on sail boat. 

I am far away from your route and cannot help but wish you good luck in your sailing. 

By the way, keep enough money to buy a ticket to go home, if something goes wrong. 

17 minutes ago, Ch.Eng.62 said:

I am a professional seafarer. But my dream was (and still is) to pass Pacific ocean on sail boat. 

I am far away from your route and cannot help but wish you good luck in your sailing. 

By the way, keep enough money to buy a ticket to go home, if something goes wrong. 

Thank you very much ?

Yes, of course. I will have some money for urgent situations. 

17 hours ago, Carlos E Rodriguez said:

Can I marry you!

Hahahahahahahah. I am married yet ?

This is nice. Good luck with the route, it will leave you with great memories for sure ;)

I do think some more frequent stops are better for your wellbeing, but in the end, it all boils down to what you meet in your route.

This guy, Ed Pratt, is traveling 18,000 miles on a unicycle (not electric) right now to make the world a better place. He has a slight advantage that the power comes from a human, but you may follow a bit what he was through and what he's finding handy.

http://www.worldunicycletour.com/about/

On 08/06/2017 at 11:40 AM, Uliana said:

Hello guys!

My name is Uliana. I am russian girl, 22 y.o.

i'm going to a trip across Europe, starting from Riga, going to Madrid, Spain on the electric unicycle. 

I am planning to ride about 100-150 km/per a day, with a speed about 25-30 km/h. Making some videos during the way, and paint pictures, when i will find beautifel places. That's a plan ?

And maybe i will need some help on my way (i hope to won't need it, but who knows) with the wheel. If it will be broken or smthg like that, so please, if someone from u could help me, let me know, please.

And if someone could host me, it would be amazing! ? or maybe show me your city - i will be thankfull and happy ?

And, yes, if you want to join, i am open, just write to me and let me know.

Start from 3rd July.

Thank you ?

If you come to London let me know! Good luck, this sounds crazy but life is meant for that sort of thing.

Looking forward to the updates you post on your adventures!

People here (some of them) are just too pessimistic. If it turns out to be impossibly hard then you can just give in and go back by train or something. I say just do it! And let me know if you would happen to be 150km southwest of Stockholm, cause then you will have a place to stay if you teach me some riding skills in return! :) (I am still slowly learning...)

This guy put a mailbox on top of his EUC to use as a seat then rode 1600km. So there are other crazy people. :D

http://jiraichargerchezvous.blogspot.fr/2015/09/presentation-du-projet.html

There are some good things to learn from the trip. He has some statistics on the last entry:

http://jiraichargerchezvous.blogspot.fr/2015/10/la-ligne-darrivee-les-hautes-pyrenees.html

Most importantly for you @Uliana he only covered 60km to 110km per day. If you plan to spend some time in the cities you visit and get good sleep, do not plan for 100km to 150km per day.

Hi, Your trip sounds awesome! I have completed several long distance (>1000 mile) unsupported solo sea kayak trips in both hemispheres and my advice to you would be

1) plan for all scenarios including breakdowns/ accidents/ harassment /illness/adverse weather/legal barriers (hopefully these won't happen, but it's diligent to have plans);

2) be realistic with your daily mileage and charging times;

3) take every opportunity to meet with local people and do some sightseeing/local stuff.

4) Be prepared to have some lows as well as lots of amazing highs.

Have an awesome trip, don't let anyone put you off! 

I have an idea for @Uliana, if it's feasible...

I thought a contact directory of some kind, that she can bring on the trip would be awesome. Ppl that are willing to let her crash on the couch, or help out in any way if she needs it. On such a trip, it would be good to know you have friends you can turn to if the situation requires it.

This should be different from the "contact me if you come through here", as it is not a "let's be friends and hang out", but more of a safety net.
For example: If she comes through Gothenburg in Sweden, and has problems - I'd be willing to help as best I can. But if she just zips through, I would just cheer her on and not be disappointed she didn't call.

I have no idea how to set it up in a way that won't make people uncomfortable, but if anyone has any suggestions or think it's a good idea, I'd be happy to sign up.

Scatcat and J.Tolhurst both have some good ideas.

I'd like to add, please bring a really good first aid kit.  Not just the cheap kind that has almost nothing but a bunch of band-aids in it.  Get one with real bandages, a sling for your arm/shoulder, good disinfectants, etc.  Add in some sort of liquid bandage to instantly bind up cuts that are bleeding too much.

Bring at least one flashlight in case an accident or bad planning keeps you out later than you thought it would.  Make sure you keep enough charge/batteries to keep them ready at full power.  I'd also recommend bringing one of those small headband lights.  They're very small and light and really great because they always illuminate exactly where you are looking.

And always bring more water than you think you'll need.  A Lifestraw or similar product would be a good idea too.

https://www.amazon.com/LifeStraw-LSPHF017-Personal-Water-Filter/dp/B006QF3TW4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1497247891&sr=8-3&keywords=lifestraw

@Uliana I just recently discovered how to use a mini GPS tracker. It actually quite easy to use: you put a SIM card in it, then dial that number, and the tracker will reply you with a text message with your current or last location. So I think if you bring this tiny thing with you, and let your family check your locations at any time, it will bring peace to their minds, and you will be safer with it. The downside is that the battery only last about 5 hours, so you have to keep charging it, but it cannot charge and track at the same time. Therefore, you might need to buy a more expensive ones that can last whole day. Mine is only 23 US dollars.

I recommend this one:

Real Time Portable Mini GMS/GPS/GPRS Tracker https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001FYQO3W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_dSeozbRGVH8K6

$25 a month, but in your situation it's totally worth it.

On 6/9/2017 at 7:40 PM, Uliana said:

My wheel is gotway msuper 1600 wh. I guess it's enough for going more than 100kms/day. 

And if i will go in the morning about 2-3 hours and in the evening about 2 hours, it will be ok and not so difficult ?

And if i will charge it in a cafe or a small towns on my way in the day (:icould spend this time while charging on painting, because it's one of my goals) and then continue my going in the evening.

I would suggest that it would be a good idea to practice splitting your Msuper down so that you are familiar with the process should you be unfortunate enough to get a puncture.

You would be wise to put some puncture sealant, such as Slime or Oko in the tyre to help prevent this, but a spare inner tube wouldn't be a bad idea as the bent valve tubes used on eucs are not widely available.

20 hours ago, Philip W said:

@Uliana I just recently discovered how to use a mini GPS tracker.

Google Maps app offers this on your phone under the 'Share Location' tab. It can be set for people you specifically want to know your location as opposed to anyone, also for a pre-determined length of time.

Hi @Uliana I also think that travel is a awesome idea. I'm from Madrid, you and many others who want to do the travel have a crash pad in El Escorial, a town 40km from the city. I didn't try to reach that distance yet but if they are company I will happily try. 

One of the biggest problems here in summer is the high temperature, yesterday I get and overload warning in my vf5,  37° and offroad downhill was to much. If you are planing to travel here in summer bring a umbrella and prepare to carry lot of water. The highest temperatures can reach 45° and isn't safe to stay outside, less doing something exhausting.

I suggest you to see Barcelona before go to Valencia, I also have a crash pad there. You can't travel across Europe without see the Mediterranean! 

Madrid is more exciting in September, the people who left it in summer comes again and there is more life and fun, otherwise in summer is a unfriendly city.

¿Have you get any representation? Maybe there's any euc manufacturer who want to put some money for sponsorship. I already see some forum posts talking about, my idea was to travel around the world with a support of a van with solar charger and a backup of wheels but I can't convince the driver.

Last but not least you need any information you can get. In Spain there are a mapping community who shares nice points for resting in road traveling, his name are furgovw and the map are furgoperfectos, there are a lot of free camping places there.

Good luck and hope see you soon

Archived