Trip across Europe on electric unicycle

Uliana

On June 8, 2017 at 10:29 AM, LanghamP said:

I think riding an EUC across Europe is a terrible plan, both dangerous and slow. It is not in the cities and towns but the distances between the urban areas.

You would want a rather large wheel to cover the distance, but EUC's are difficult and dangerous to ride at higher speeds, plus the wheels that can be ridden at 25km/h are large and expensive. One might as well get an electric scooter or bicycle instead.

I would instead recommend getting something like a month-long eurorail pass, and use that to cover the vast distances between cities, and use your little wheel to explore each destination. Going around a city in a little EUC is 100 times more fun than riding for hours along a deserted road.

I know you are giving out good advice, but I think riding eurorail and use EUC for touring cities is something a common tourist will do. I don't know anything about @Uliana. Maybe she just wants to do some tours as well, but to make the trip special, make the memory last a lifetime, she needs to do it slowly and dangerously. There are bikers travel from Europe to Asia by bikes only. There are people visit the poorest part of Africa at risk of their lifes. They did it not for the view, but for their own memories, so one day they could tell their grandchildren all about it.

I know I am giving out bad advice, but it's the truth, isn't it?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Philip W said:

I know you are giving out good advice, but I think riding eurorail and use EUC for touring cities is something a common tourist will do. I don't know anything about @Uliana. Maybe she just wants to do some tours as well, but to make the trip special, make the memory last a lifetime, she needs to do it slowly and dangerously. There are bikers travel from Europe to Asia by bikes only. There are people visit the poorest part of Africa at risk of their lifes. They did it not for the view, but for their own memories, so one day they could tell their grandchildren all about it.

Let me convince you (and her) otherwise.

Let's agree we only have a limited time in our lives, and that one would want to maximize one's human capital, whether they be skills, experiences, or rather both.

It then follows one would want to efficiently use one's time maximizing one's experiences and skills.

By her own admission she estimates riding between 100 to 150 km per day, which translates roughly to 5-8 hours of standing on an EUC. Then recharging in a coffee shop for at least 4 hours, maybe faster if she has a fast charger. I can see a person doing this on a bicycle as that makes them fit, but standing on an EUC?

One could do almost anything else (practice tricks, watch TV, learn a new language, read a book) and increase one's human capital beyond riding an EUC.

It's absolutely bonkers, stark raving mad.

It's also very Russian. I dated a Russian chick some years back and she and her Russian friends would do crap like this all the time. Like get into a rowboat in the middle of December with Vodka, and get dead drunk. Russians seems to have exceptionally high injury and death rates. Everything is drink, drink, drink, they would replace milk with whisky in their cereal but for the fact cornflakes turn an unpleasant color when exposed to hard liqueur.

I digress. Does anyone here seriously think that this is anything but a good idea? With just a small modification to how she travels she could do this faster, safer, meet more people. She could just take a few minutes each day and take pictures using google street view on those long boring stretches. Sure, erstaz memories but who'd know the difference?

Finally, I'd expect every one of you to call me out when I do something awfully foolish. Like bite into a battery pack or attempt to ride across the guardrail of a bridge. Or get married again. A community doesn't just hand a person a noose but, rather, ask the person if this is reeeaallly a good idea.

41 minutes ago, Philip W said:

"I lay tracks for troubadours/that get killed before they reach Bombay.."

Sympathy for the Devil

4 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

Let me convince you (and her) otherwise.

Let's agree we only have a limited time in our lives, and that one would want to maximize one's human capital, whether they be skills, experiences, or rather both.

It then follows one would want to efficiently use one's time maximizing one's experiences and skills.

By her own admission she estimates riding between 100 to 150 km per day, which translates roughly to 5-8 hours of standing on an EUC. Then recharging in a coffee shop for at least 4 hours, maybe faster if she has a fast charger. I can see a person doing this on a bicycle as that makes them fit, but standing on an EUC?

One could do almost anything else (practice tricks, watch TV, learn a new language, read a book) and increase one's human capital beyond riding an EUC.

It's absolutely bonkers, stark raving mad.

It's also very Russian. I dated a Russian chick some years back and she and her Russian friends would do crap like this all the time. Like get into a rowboat in the middle of December with Vodka, and get dead drunk. Russians seems to have exceptionally high injury and death rates. Everything is drink, drink, drink, they would replace milk with whisky in their cereal but for the fact cornflakes turn an unpleasant color when exposed to hard liqueur.

I digress. Does anyone here seriously think that this is anything but a good idea? With just a small modification to how she travels she could do this faster, safer, meet more people. She could just take a few minutes each day and take pictures using google street view on those long boring stretches. Sure, erstaz memories but who'd know the difference?

Finally, I'd expect every one of you to call me out when I do something awfully foolish. Like bite into a battery pack or attempt to ride across the guardrail of a bridge. Or get married again. A community doesn't just hand a person a noose but, rather, ask the person if this is reeeaallly a good idea.

A big problem here is the huge divergence between comfort/safety and how memorable a trip might be.  Perhaps ne'er the twain shall meet.

I agree with your basic point and the solid and humane impulse behind it.  It is a caring point.

What the real lynchpin is, outside of doing what is necessary to take reasonable safety precautions, is the level of creativity of the person in charge of crafting the journey and its recording.  Someone with an artistic and thoughtful mind can create magic out of what others couldn't possibly see as creative or interesting.  Yet a dullard might find nothing even in grand adventure or paradise itself.

So I don't think either of you has the lock on what might really appeal to her and make for a memorable trip because neither of you knows her, though you both sound well-intentioned.

You both make good points that it is thoughtful of you to mention.  She may agree with and profit from some or all of them.  And she may find the type of adventure that suits her in a way we can't quite grasp from our distance.  I don't know this young woman well, or what she wants.  I do believe that everyone travels differently and looks for different things in the process.

I think sometimes when we describe what it is best for others to do, we are describing how we would do things ourselves in ideal situations.  But we are not others and ideal situations rarely come along.

1 hour ago, Dingfelder said:

A big problem here is the huge divergence between comfort/safety and how memorable a trip might be.  Perhaps ne'er the twain shall meet.

I agree with your basic point and the solid and humane impulse behind it.  It is a caring point.

What the real lynchpin is, outside of doing what is necessary to take reasonable safety precautions, is the level of creativity of the person in charge of crafting the journey and its recording.  Someone with an artistic and thoughtful mind can create magic out of what others couldn't possibly see as creative or interesting.  Yet a dullard might find nothing even in grand adventure or paradise itself.

So I don't think either of you has the lock on what might really appeal to her and make for a memorable trip because neither of you knows her, though you both sound well-intentioned.

You both make good points that it is thoughtful of you to mention.  She may agree with and profit from some or all of them.  And she may find the type of adventure that suits her in a way we can't quite grasp from our distance.  I don't know this young woman well, or what she wants.  I do believe that everyone travels differently and looks for different things in the process.

I think sometimes when we describe what it is best for others to do, we are describing how we would do things ourselves in ideal situations.  But we are not others and ideal situations rarely come along.

Absolutely agree with all the words here. I myself might do it the stupid bonker way, but it is just me. Standing on an EUC for 6-8 hours might sound dumb, but any rider will know how pleasant it can be. There were Chinese riders rode 10,000 km to XinJiang province (north of Tibet), and British guys went 1000km in 2 weeks. They are my models, but for Uliana, the danger level of traveling alone in an EUC for 2000 km is just way way higher. However, still, She is one who decides it.

Hahahahahah ? hey, guys ?

You are right everyone. Maybe i would have a better trip if i would use more traditional transport and so on, but when i am thinking about go just only by euc it seems to me smthg very cool and icredible. I know about it could be boring sometimes or dangerous, but... well. I just want to do that. If something will go really wrong, ok, i will give up and confess that i was wrong, but now i don't understand why can't i just try to do that.

I have time, i have a wheel, i have some money and i like my idea. So, that's enough. Maybe i am like really crazy russian, but, doesn't matter, it seems interesting for me. And of course i could find more beautiful places in my way if i will go slowly and by not so common ways. ??

1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

Can we agree to call that racist or at least hateful? 

The ignorance of your remarks makes me want to puke. 

First off, you're claiming you want to define the culture off a single person or even a group of people you knew once. 

Second, even the laddest lads in my suburbs don't use a word "chick" anymore. Should I explain why?

Third, have you ever been outside of your snowflake palace to see a real third world country? What's happening there is a fucking disaster, cause people drink in generations, and govt is rather happy with doing nothing as it's easier to manipulate the nation this way for their own sake. But sure, let's say they're all pissed drunks with no self awareness and zero self-preservation.

You sir are a biggoted ignorant swine brainwashed by a 30 year old "patriotic" anti-commie propaganda bullshit. And after that, people are surprised how's Trump is a president-elect in the States. Now, how did that generalisation feel? 

9 minutes ago, vladmarks said:

First off, you're claiming you want to define the culture off a single person or even a group of people you knew once. 

Second, even the laddest lads in my suburbs don't use a word "chick" anymore. Should I explain why?

Third, have you ever been outside of your snowflake palace to see a real third world country? What's happening there is a fucking disaster, cause people drink in generations, and govt is rather happy with doing nothing as it's easier to manipulate the nation this way for their own sake. But sure, let's say they're all pissed drunks with no self awareness and zero self-preservation.

You sir are a biggoted ignorant swine brainwashed by a 30 year old "patriotic" anti-commie propaganda bullshit. And after that, people are surprised how's Trump is a president-elect in the States. Now, how did that generalisation feel? 

You have my abject apologies for offending you by my statements.

Does anyone know the name of that guy who did the long distance ride?  I think he was from the UK?  It's not Ian Sampson, but there was another fellow who managed to ride a huge distance on his EUC.  He had a webpage dedicated to his trip.  Maybe @Uliana might want to contact him and/or Ian to maybe get some travelling tips as they've done the long distance ride.  I guess my main concerns would be trying to find a charging spot every 100 kms.  You might end up in the middle of nowhere without access to power, and even if you do find it, I don't know about waiting by that spot for 4 hours at a time.  You would have to carefully plan your travel route, charging location, and sleeping area as it gets a little dangerous to ride at night time.  Maybe carrying a spare pack might help?

The big problem is that these EUC's aren't really meant for long distance travel as there's not much backup when the power dies and the charging time is long.  Imagine a car that you have to wait 4 hours to fill up every 100 km or so.  It's not very convenient.  Plus if you do get stuck, dragging a dead wheel any distance is like carrying around an anchor.

On 8.6.2017 at 5:21 PM, Uliana said:

Oh. Shit. Haha. Now i need to change my plan absolutely.

I wanted to go to Italy so much. And Germany. Hmmm

Ok, so, maybe i could go through the north.

I will use Gotway msuper v3 1600wh. I hope that it would be enough for going about 100km/per a day. And i'd like to charge it in a cafe on the road, if it would be possible. So maybe i could ride more than 100. I hope to go about 150 per a day.

At first:

Welcome to the Forum and at second: What a GREAT idea...

I am German, and dont worry to much about this "illegal" thing! i am driving since february 2016 in one of the biggest metropoles of Germany and never got into stress with the police!

What you can NOT think about and do: riding it on big streets with heavy traffic where all kind of truck drive also......just stay on the nice siderodes, walkpaths, bicycle roads and i guess all will be fine. plan your Gps routes as like you use a bycycle and things will get flowing.

Sure, there is a risk of paying a fine or some advices to trolley your wheel, but this is not daily behaviour of our nice police! As far as i know, Austria, switzerland, netherlands also have now allowing, but tend to close an eye, as these things are so new, the cops even dont know themselves what to do....

In the most european countries the wheels are just more or less "tolerated"....

But this all should and for sure will not make your trabel worse!

as said: great plan!!

9 minutes ago, vladmarks said:

I remember seeing a video about how sensitive Russians often are to criticism... that it is even very dangerous to criticize them in their country because they often get violent and will beat on people.

I've seen a number of videos on China that say the same thing about Chinese.  That all discussion is over if there is the slightest chance that something could be interpreted as criticism, and that any criticism gets met by huge overreaction.

I don't think it will be very easy to find people saying that about Americans, or Europeans.  It is a very different culture.

You may not be from that culture.  But it is not correct or useful to assume that people from America or Europe are from your culture, either.  We don't necessarily take things as seriously as you do and don't necessarily believe that getting in a violent temper is a good or civilized idea.

Maybe you should take the internet less seriously.

If you do, it will probably make you look like a better example of your countrymen.  And that will make people more likely to think good things about you and your country as well.  

You certainly can't represent your culture well by flying off into a fury of accusations and insults.

I say go for it. Its an ambitious plan but I can feel the excitement about it. Might turn out as the worst thing you ever started or the best time of your life - only one way to find out. And there is always the option to bail out. 

If you happen to pass near Zurich Switzerland shoot me a pm and I'll have a bed and a meal ready for you.

5 minutes ago, Dingfelder said:

You certainly can't represent your culture well by flying off into a fury of accusations and insults.

Wouldn't that be something a proud American, or a proud Englishman, or a proud French citizen would do? Temper is not a cultural trait, and aggression cannot be measured via forum outlashes. I only take this seriously because I am an honest fan of this place and I read through it every day. But I appreciate that people may not take the said/written things seriously. What do I know - call an indian person in Palo Alto any stereotype and see who would throw tantrum over 'silly things that flew off someone's tongue'. As far as I checked, being mad at a negative portrayal of a national/ethnic group is something the civilised world is concerned about for 20+ years? Whether you belong to that group or not?

1 hour ago, Uliana said:

Hahahahahah ? hey, guys ?

You are right everyone. Maybe i would have a better trip if i would use more traditional transport and so on, but when i am thinking about go just only by euc it seems to me smthg very cool and icredible. I know about it could be boring sometimes or dangerous, but... well. I just want to do that. If something will go really wrong, ok, i will give up and confess that i was wrong, but now i don't understand why can't i just try to do that.

I have time, i have a wheel, i have some money and i like my idea. So, that's enough. Maybe i am like really crazy russian, but, doesn't matter, it seems interesting for me. And of course i could find more beautiful places in my way if i will go slowly and by not so common ways. ??

Well, it is bonkers, and very stereotypically fatalistically russian, but that in itself may not be a bad thing. It's dangerous, but if you go through with it you surely will have something to remember.
Only such mentality could create a phrase like "Ty chto mumu yebyosh!" to make people drink up! :D

I think it's mad but a great idea if you pull through.

But, to make it just bonkers, and not wildly death-wish bonkers:

• Be prepared to pause for a day here or there, making sure you have the money to do so. Riding such distances will take a toll.
  • Use the locals to scout ahead, making sure you choose roads that are not outright suicide. People are often friendly when it costs them nothing and they get a good story to tell.
  • Also use the locals to scout ahead where to make the next stop. Finding yourself alone in a real nowhere when it gets dark, is not very pleasant.
  • People readily identifiable by others around them are inherently less risky to befriend than the anonymous ones. No guarantee, but a good rule of thumb.
  • If you find yourself entering a road that are obviously dangerous, retreat and retrack. There are almost always alternate roads to the same destination.
  • Check the local rules before wheeling through. It's better to take the train for a short hop, than to be stopped by the police, getting fined, and having your wheel confiscated.
  • Don't even try if your wheel isn't clearly up to it. You should have a bigger wheel with a lot of power, or you'll run it into the ground in no time. I'd go 18" or 22" and with the highest available battery capacity for such a tour.
  • If you have the skills check everything thoroughly in the wheel before setting out. Or let someone who knows how to do it, do it for you. You don't want a melted connector ten miles from the closest city. If someone else does it, make sure you are there and get it all explained.
  • Bring a small soldering iron preferably gas so you can use it anywhere, some high temp solder and flux, duct tape/strong weave tape, some electrical tape, some strong instant glue and some epoxy with you. As compact as possible, but indispensable if the fecal matter hits the fan far from any help.
  • Also bring a small set of tools: allen keys for the wheel, a screw-driver, a small patent wrench, a pair of pliers and side cutter. A multitool may be enough if it has all the variants you need. That way you won't be up sh*t creek without a paddle if something breaks.

I think you're slightly mad, but God will I be envious if you succeed.

Just now, vladmarks said:

Wouldn't that be something a proud American, or a proud Englishman, or a proud French citizen would do? Temper is not a cultural trait, and aggression cannot be measured via forum outlashes. I only take this seriously because I am an honest fan of this place and I read through it every day. But I appreciate that people may not take the said/written things seriously. What do I know - call an indian person in Palo Alto any stereotype and see who would throw tantrum over 'silly things that flew off someone's tongue'. As far as I checked, being mad at a negative portrayal of a national/ethnic group is something the civilised world is concerned about for 20+ years? Whether you belong to that group or not?

No.

Violence is not proud.  Anger is not proud.  It is failure.  It is letting other people win.  And it is usually carrying their victory over you around in your heart, giving them the biggest win they could ever hope for, for as long as you let them do it.

Especially on the internet, where people often troll other people just for fun.  If you let people set you off, you become their slave.  And you will always be a slave to anyone who comes along for as long as they like.

If you are ever going to achieve any sense of victory or satisfaction, you have to be bigger than others, not smaller.  And that starts by having a thick skin.  If there is anything I've heard about the Russians, it's that they are tough.

Just my opinion.  But I think we all have limited energy to spend and should spend it wisely.

14 minutes ago, vladmarks said:

As far as I checked, being mad at a negative portrayal of a national/ethnic group is something the civilised world is concerned about for 20+ years? Whether you belong to that group or not?

Oh, I don't know. I'm a dark-skinned mulatto but with slight political leanings towards Trumpism (mostly for the entertainment value), and I find ethnic and religious jokes to be absolutely hilarious.

It is not my intent to offend any Russians. I can speak from direct personal experience that offending a Russian puts you in immediate bodily danger. Outside of that, my experience with Russians has more WTF? moments. Somewhat like this thread.

But a hug and a drink will defuse any Russian. :) I'll buy you one, Vlad.

Also, anyone can PM me for the most hilarious religious joke you have ever heard in your life. I guarantee it.

51 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

The big problem is that these EUC's aren't really meant for long distance travel as there's not much backup when the power dies and the charging time is long.  Imagine a car that you have to wait 4 hours to fill up every 100 km or so.  It's not very convenient.  Plus if you do get stuck, dragging a dead wheel any distance is like carrying around an anchor.

My wheel is gotway msuper 1600 wh. I guess it's enough for going more than 100kms/day. 

And if i will go in the morning about 2-3 hours and in the evening about 2 hours, it will be ok and not so difficult ?

And if i will charge it in a cafe or a small towns on my way in the day (:icould spend this time while charging on painting, because it's one of my goals) and then continue my going in the evening.

25 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

Oh, I don't know. I'm a dark-skinned mulatto but with slight political leanings towards Trumpism (mostly for the entertainment value), and I find ethnic and religious jokes to be absolutely hilarious.

It is not my intent to offend any Russians. I can speak from direct personal experience that offending a Russian puts you in immediate bodily danger. Outside of that, my experience with Russians has more WTF? moments. Somewhat like this thread.

But a hug and a drink will defuse any Russian. :) I'll buy you one, Vlad.

Also, anyone can PM me for the most hilarious religious joke you have ever heard in your life. I guarantee it.

can agree with wtf moments, we live these moments :P 

yesterday i helped an irishman out of a pond/swamp, got him home, made him shower and poured ourselves a nice pint. 

a drink from you would surely help my critical sjw wounds :wacko:

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Plus if you do get stuck, dragging a dead wheel any distance is like carrying around an anchor.

Sounds Iike you are willing to offer @Uliana free road assistance!

We are on your route, middle of Germany. You are welcome to crash at our place overnight. I might ride a little of the way with you, but still beginner. Wife and daughter don't dare yet ;-)
Don't get discouraged by remarks about Germany. There are sealed bike pathes all over the place and no police would see you there.

2 hours ago, Uliana said:

.........  I know about it could be boring sometimes or dangerous, but... well. I just want to do that. If something will go really wrong, ok, i will give up and confess that i was wrong, but now i don't understand why can't i just try to do that.

I have time, i have a wheel, i have some money and i like my idea. So, that's enough.

I like this approach, I can't help. :):thumbup:

Some remarks:

1) As Hunka already mentioned, if the wheel is damaged or has a flat tire, it could become exhausting carrying it around like an anchor.

2) Riding a wheel for long distances every day, is not healthy for the feet and especially the spine, and a lumbar-disc lesion is preprogrammed. But you are young and do not care about it, which is fine. As a countermeasure you should also do a light 1  hour run every day (WITHOUT the wheel in the backpack :D ).

3) Have fun !  If you come to Austria, you will cross Vienna, so don't forget to send me a message. I and possibly others will join you along the Danube island and show you the bikelane to the west near the Danube shore.

And BTW, my family name is Russian (from my grand parents), and believe me, Russians are just as normal as other people, only more so. :D

Or did you never balance during winter in shorts 200 meters above a frozen river on a rickety handrail ?  For us this is normal. :lol:

Thanks everyone who proposed some help with a crash ? when i will decide about my route finelly i'll answer ? you all here are so kind and friendly ??? thank youuu ???

39 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Sounds Iike you are willing to offer @Uliana free road assistance!

Ninebot One E+ to the rescue!  :w00t2:  I also offer free mouth to mouth resuscitation whether it's necessary or not totally free of charge to select females only, results may vary!  :whistling:  Although it would take me about 5 recharge cycles to get over 100 kms so it could take a while... :efee565ab0:

@Uliana - if you are travelling by yourself, please do be very careful as you never know who might see you as an opportunity to take advantage of.  I don't know how safe the areas you will be traveling through are, but there have been a few stories of people being robbed on their wheels and attacked.   It would probably be safer to travel with an EUC buddy.  (I hear @Rehab1 is available with his new modified Gotway ACM16!  He's quite handy at EUC repairs too!)  

Archived