Trip across Europe on electric unicycle

Uliana

Hello guys!

My name is Uliana. I am russian girl, 22 y.o.

i'm going to a trip across Europe, starting from Riga, going to Madrid, Spain on the electric unicycle. 

I am planning to ride about 100-150 km/per a day, with a speed about 25-30 km/h. Making some videos during the way, and paint pictures, when i will find beautifel places. That's a plan ?

And maybe i will need some help on my way (i hope to won't need it, but who knows) with the wheel. If it will be broken or smthg like that, so please, if someone from u could help me, let me know, please.

And if someone could host me, it would be amazing! ? or maybe show me your city - i will be thankfull and happy ?

And, yes, if you want to join, i am open, just write to me and let me know.

Start from 3rd July.

Thank you ?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope you don't run into problems crossing either Germany or Austria as I believe the police have been issuing tickets to people illegally riding wheels there.

1 minute ago, Gimlet said:

I hope you don't run into problems crossing either Germany or Austria as I believe the police have been issuing tickets to people illegally riding wheels there.

What is illegal riding there? I've never heard about i can't ride in germany on the EUC.

They require any motorised vehicle capable of travelling over 6kph to have insurance, which is impossible to get for a euc.

It's not always enforced by the police but is sometimes.

Just now, Gimlet said:

They require any motorised vehicle capable of travelling over 6kph to have insurance, which is impossible to get for a euc.

It's not always enforced by the police but is sometimes.

Oh, i see. Thank you for information ?

Just now, Dingfelder said:

Sounds like a great adventure, Uliana!  It would be nice if you could record it for youtube, too.  Or write about it in a blog. Or both.

Thank you ?

Yes, of course, i will record some videos and post on youtube and maybe some picture in instagram ?

17 minutes ago, Uliana said:

What is illegal riding there? I've never heard about i can't ride in germany on the EUC.

Might help on the way:) 

21 minutes ago, Gimlet said:

Austria

Isn't Austria okay with the legality? The last thing I've heard is it's okay to ride on cycling lanes in Austria.

Let us know whether you'd need a space to crash, there are tons of people from Europe on this forum. Myself, I'm a Russian in England, but I don't assume it's within your plans :) 

Crash is slang for sleep, usually overnight.  it's very informal.  

A "crash pad" is a very casual place, not fancy, often kind of empty, where people go to sleep but not much else.  An example might be, for pilots or stewardesses who have to stay over in a city often but don't live there, they might all chip in to rent a 'crash pad" they can sleep overnight in whenever they have to be in that city.  They won't make it very nice, because they are only there to sleep and then get on another plane the next day.

Hi,

Sorry, but you must also avoid Italy, the wheels are not allowed there, you can only use them in private places.

Then it depends if you meet kind or angry policemen, but the risk is high, a month ago a guy on a hoverboard took a 1200€ fine in the city of Trento...:wacko:

Are you going to pass through Czech Republic? In any case that's over 3000 km!!! If you can make that, it will be awesome :) What wheel are you using?

6 minutes ago, FULspeed said:

Hi,

Sorry, but you must also avoid Italy, the wheels are not allowed there, you can only use them in private places.

Then it depends if you meet kind or angry policemen, but the risk is high, a month ago a guy on a hoverboard took a 1200€ fine in the city of Trento...:wacko:

Holy cow that is insane.  For 1200 euros you should be able to kidnap a whole family and burn their house down, not just be riding a EUC ...

I think riding an EUC across Europe is a terrible plan, both dangerous and slow. It is not in the cities and towns but the distances between the urban areas.

You would want a rather large wheel to cover the distance, but EUC's are difficult and dangerous to ride at higher speeds, plus the wheels that can be ridden at 25km/h are large and expensive. One might as well get an electric scooter or bicycle instead.

I would instead recommend getting something like a month-long eurorail pass, and use that to cover the vast distances between cities, and use your little wheel to explore each destination. Going around a city in a little EUC is 100 times more fun than riding for hours along a deserted road.

29 minutes ago, Dingfelder said:

Holy cow that is insane.

Absolutely right!

in fact there was apparently a dispute with the cops, and they replied applying the Street Code to his hoverboard, considering it like a small motorbike. (two wheels and an engine, right?)

Then it was fined for: lack of license plate, lack of insurance (mandatory in Italy), lack of helmet (also this mandatory), missing type certificate… 

And finally they also confiscated the vehicle!:blink1:

3 minutes ago, FULspeed said:

Absolutely right!

in fact there was apparently a dispute with the cops, and they replied applying the Street Code to his hoverboard, considering it like a small motorbike. (two wheels and an engine, right?)

Then it was fined for: lack of license plate, lack of insurance (mandatory in Italy), lack of helmet (also this mandatory), missing type certificate… 

And finally they also confiscated the vehicle!:blink1:

Wow that is crazy.  It sounds like the cops were trying to get revenge for being argued with.

I have a big problem with confiscating anything from people too.  It seems to me to be almost always the worst way to go about things in a free society.

The young man has obviously filed appeal to the local Judge, in a few months (a lot of months I think, in Italy we are probably the world champions of bureaucracy...) we will see if the police was right or not...

Oh. Shit. Haha. Now i need to change my plan absolutely.

I wanted to go to Italy so much. And Germany. Hmmm

Ok, so, maybe i could go through the north.

I will use Gotway msuper v3 1600wh. I hope that it would be enough for going about 100km/per a day. And i'd like to charge it in a cafe on the road, if it would be possible. So maybe i could ride more than 100. I hope to go about 150 per a day.

3 hours ago, Gimlet said:

In Germany it's different, but in Austria nobody will bother you as long as you have no accident with others.

But also in Austria I would definitely try to avoid riding on public roads. This is in most cases no problem, because there are many bikelanes and bike trails.

Maybe you should select a route through Poland, Czech and Austria, but then it becomes difficult, because you either must cross Switzerland, Italy or Germany.

However, I rode a few days through Bozen and up to Eppan in Italy on several biketrails, and had no trouble, also met policecar 2 times. But maybe I was lucky.

It is in any case a grey area for the adventurous. :D

48 minutes ago, Benoît Brummer said:

I live in Brussels central, you are welcome to crash at my place and get waffles if that's on your way.

Haha ? cool, thank you ??? now i guess it will be on my way ?

3 hours ago, Benoît Brummer said:

I live in Brussels central, you are welcome to crash at my place and get waffles if that's on your way.

3 hours ago, Uliana said:

Haha ? cool, thank you ??? now i guess it will be on my way ?

I need to do some shopping at the weekend, think I might travel via Belgium - get the Nutella out......
:thumbup: :efee6b18f3: :D

26 d 8 hr (3078 km) via DK22

Wow, that looks like a very interesting trip!

What does it mean, "via DK22"? I tried searching Google, but I did not find what DK22 means.

Also, the icon after 26 d 8 hr (in the white rectangle in Germany approximately at the midpoint of the route) looks like a boat, am I right? I don't understand why, as the route shown does not look like it goes through water.

Riga-Madrid.png

16 hours ago, LanghamP said:

I would instead recommend getting something like a month-long eurorail pass, and use that to cover the vast distances between cities, and use your little wheel to explore each destination. Going around a city in a little EUC is 100 times more fun than riding for hours along a deserted road.

That's a great idea! The blog and videos would still be super cool, maybe even cooler than the original plan.

Archived