post editing time limit has been revised

59 minutes ago, John Eucist said:

That said, an entire thread in this forum (after the original first post) can be considered as "comments" (it's just a name).

I don't think so, the hierarchy is different. Comments can address a single post in the thread only and come in a very different visual format.

If certain "in between" posts (or "comments") get changed it could put the rest of the thread out of context

The out-of-context problem may of course also occur on posts (here and on stackexchange), but the difference is that posts have a stored history (at least on stackexchange, but I guess also here).

I don't know which post you were referring to but it's not the one that caused this precautionary measure.

Yes, agreed. 

Hence why it's now 1440 minutes instead of 15 minutes for now. Gonna be really really "special needs" if it take more than 1440 minutes. :P 

It kinda depends whether you look at a post as something rather temporary or as something which is supposed to stay for people to read even in a month or year from now. In the latter case I would consider making edits not to be "special needs" and far from really really special needs. 

I am speculating that that's because they decided to use the same forum software as this forum and it's default setting is set to unlimited.

Not sure about that one, they give the impression to be pretty alert on their settings management, but I might be wrong. 

I thought I was losing my mind yesterday as I was trying to find a way to edit a post that I made the same day. I swore that I had done it before. This explains everything.

FWIW I do prefer the ability to edit my post at any time.

One Forum that would be negatively affected is  Private Sales. We are supposed to edit the title to [SOLD] when the wheel has been bought. This will no longer be possible.

4 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

One Forum that would be negatively affected is  Private Sales. We are supposed to edit the title to [SOLD] when the wheel has been bought. This will no longer be possible.

You can still hide it.

I'm sure I used to be able to long click on the "edited" note at the bottom of a comment and see all the previous versions?

It doesn't seem to work now so maybe it's me confusing other forums and FB?

2 hours ago, Gimlet said:

I'm sure I used to be able to long click on the "edited" note at the bottom of a comment and see all the previous versions?

Right. 

It doesn't seem to work now

Right, the setting has been changed.

so maybe it's me confusing other forums and FB?

No. 

8 hours ago, Mono said:

The out-of-context problem may of course also occur on posts (here and on stackexchange), but the difference is that posts have a stored history (at least on stackexchange, but I guess also here).

No there is no stored history for edits here.

3 hours ago, Gimlet said:

It doesn't seem to work now so maybe it's me confusing other forums and FB?

No you're confusing with Facebook (or another forum). There are no "previous versions"/"history of edits" to look at in this forum software. Furthermore you are a moderator and nothing was changed for you.

One last element (even though it seems that you have made up your mind already).

Maybe 30% of my added benefit from the forum is to use posts as a note-to-self for what I know / have learned about a topic. I assume it can be useful to others, but in these cases that's only part of the motivation for the post. If I can't edit these posts anymore, I will to go back to my personal notes. Thinking about it, I could delete the post and repost the edited one (it seems the formatting gets lost like this). That doesn't feel like a good habit to acquire though.

I guess I will have to take this as an opportunity to spent less time in polishing posts on this forum.

6 hours ago, Mono said:

One last element (even though it seems that you have made up your mind already).

Maybe 30% of my added benefit from the forum is to use posts as a note-to-self for what I know / have learned about a topic. I assume it can be useful to others, but in these cases that's only part of the motivation for the post. If I can't edit these posts anymore, I will to go back to my personal notes. Thinking about it, I could delete the post and repost the edited one (it seems the formatting gets lost like this). That doesn't feel like a good habit to acquire though.

I guess I will have to take this as an opportunity to spent less time in polishing posts on this forum.

No, I have not "made up my mind" on anything. The 1440 minutes edit time limit was a temporary compromise. I'm currently discussing with the forum software company about the possibility of preventing people who are on "Moderate Content" status to edit their past posts as a circumvention technique. That may take a while.

Users who feel the necessity for "unlimited edit time limit" status can request for such by private messaging me and explaining why they personally need this. Obviously only people who have been in the forum for some time with a reasonably good reputation will be considered.

I have made all of the current "Top Members" (which you are part of) have unlimited time limit for editing. Furthermore, I have extended all "Full Members" to 2880 minute (2 days) edit time limit.

On 6/9/2017 at 2:02 AM, Marty Backe said:

I have changed the pinned post for that forum to hide instead. If you have already marked something as [SOLD] in the past then don't worry about it.

• 4 months later...

How about removing the limits without much fanfare? (Or make it like 2 weeks) Some new people could have used OP editing recently, and if the "bad guy" is gone for good now, might be worth the consideration. But if removing the limits wears too much on your nerves, keep them:efee47c9c8:

2 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

How about removing the limits without much fanfare? (Or make it like 2 weeks) Some new people could have used OP editing recently, and if the "bad guy" is gone for good now, might be worth the consideration. But if removing the limits wears too much on your nerves, keep them:efee47c9c8:

Changed from 2 days to 2 weeks for "Full Members". "Top Members" remain unlimited. Let's see how this goes for now. Thanks.

3 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Thank you. Is everyone a full member (except maybe some special cases)?

Between "Full Members" and "Members" 98% are "Full Members" while 2% are "Members". And "Full Members" represent the vast majority of the active people on this forum besides "Top Members" of course.

5 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I assume new posters (who had their first post manually unlocked) are full members? They need the OP editing the most, I think. At least that were the cases I noticed.

No those are "Members". After 30 days they automatically become "Full Members". But they  have always had 5 minutes of editing time. But I just bumped that up to 15 minutes.

Ok, thank you! I'd bump that up as much as possible (A few hours? A few days? Maybe 3 or 5 days?) if I were you, unless you expect problems. But you know better what goes on behind the scenes and what horrible scourges of the internet the limits protect us from:efee8319ab:

Archived