KS 18A - to buy, or not to buy. That is the question.

RideMc

2 hours ago, Dingfelder said:

Really?  I actually like how tall it is because it would be easier to ride seated on it.  I've seen wonderful seated KS18 riding videos.

Same here, just was reporting back what others have reported.

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

I've never really gotten the whole "sitting on the wheel" thing. I remember watching some videos of guys (Asian) sitting on the KS18's, but those guys were probably 5'6".  Take a look at Duf riding his Monster - doesn't look all that comfortable, yet when Cindy does it she looks comfortable.

Most of the riding I do involves weaving in and out of places, etc. I don't want to be sitting. But this is all a very personal.

I was in the same boat, but once I learned how to sit and ride on the Monster (KS18A is currently out of commission, but looking forward to doing the same) I barely ride the Monster standing. 

Seated gives you more leverage to really push the wheel to accelerate as you can really bear down on the front of the wheel without the sensation of overleaning.

Don't really see how being much taller should matter seated on the similar-heighted KS18 & Monster; @Bryan Wells looked more than comfortable seated in videos on KS18, and I believe he's around the 6' mark. (remember, you must lift your heels with feet forward on pedals as I believe a kind of counterbalance)

The trickiest part is turns, but I've learned that you basically slip 'n slide across the seat counter to the direction you are turning.

1 hour ago, Dingfelder said:

At a bit over 6'1", I imagine the "sitting on the wheel thing" won't work for me either.  Almost certainly not with my MSuper.  However, that doesn't make it not extremely cool.  And I would love to try it.  So much so that I bought the seat even though it is a ridiculously pricey extra for a piece of hard foam, basically.  The upside is just so cool, in my mind, that it's worth a considerable risk.

Yes, the MSuper being so low makes it a bit harder to sit down, but for some, it's doable, esp with the seat (probably not at your height). 

I as well, when buying the Gotway seat for my Monster (KS18's have seat included with the wheel) thought it was ridiculously over-priced and a bit of a luxury, but realized how necessary it was for seated riding when I learned to turn while sliding my bottom / weight contrary to the turn direction (like how bike racers lean their knees to the ground for turns).

Without the seat, you have nothing to slide against, which makes learning how to turn seated much harder.

On 6/17/2017 at 9:16 AM, Marty Backe said:

I've never really gotten the whole "sitting on the wheel" thing. I remember watching some videos of guys (Asian) sitting on the KS18's, but those guys were probably 5'6".  Take a look at Duf riding his Monster - doesn't look all that comfortable, yet when Cindy does it she looks comfortable.

Most of the riding I do involves weaving in and out of places, etc. I don't want to be sitting. But this is all a very personal.

Good example. Duf looks pretty funny "perched" precariously on that seat, he looks kind of tensed up to stay put, as he is clearly too tall for the seat. I think I am small enough, I'd be able to sit. Other than the "gong to the potty" look of it, I'd love to take a seat now and then, :D

I really want to see that new KS18s shell design though!

24 minutes ago, Hatchet said:

I really want to see that new KS18s shell design though!

I'd guess it will be a essentially a bigger KS16, just like the new 14D/S is a smaller KS16. Why change a pretty good and sleek existing design? Though I would not mind an all new, exciting, improved design for the shell (primarily, much better and brighter front and back lights that are really usable in traffic, and more space for bigger batteries).

I'm cool with that, though I admit I didn't like the KS18 at first, it's grown on me. i like rounded angles, matte or sleek black look. The white KS18 looks so Star Wars It's funny!

I'd probably take a taller shell with a thinner, more slim profile than a short boxier one. 

7 hours ago, Hatchet said:

I'm cool with that, though I admit I didn't like the KS18 at first, it's grown on me. i like rounded angles, matte or sleek black look. The white KS18 looks so Star Wars It's funny!

I'd probably take a taller shell with a thinner, more slim profile than a short boxier one. 

I like that just fine too, maybe better because of the seat potential.  And thin sounds good too.

I like the design of the KS18.  Looks like an alien face.

Archived