How to shoot that video?

CaptainKBLS

I've watch several videos from Marty Backe, Speedy Feet and others.

How do you get the videos to be so stable?  Do you hold the camera that steady or the software stablelize it?

Currently, I have a Sony Alpha 6000 mirrorless DSLR camera.   It's definitely heavy but I want good videos.

Do you guys use GoPros?

I would appreciate any tips about the gear and getting clear and stable videos.

Thank you.

Edited by CaptainKBLS
  • Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, CaptainKBLS said:

I've watch several videos from Marty Backe, Speedy Feet and others.

How do you get the videos to be so stable?  Do you hold the camera that steady or the software stablelize it?

Currently, I have a Sony Alpha 6000 mirrorless DSLR camera.   It's definitely heavy but I want good videos.

Do you guys you GoPros?

I would appreciate any tips about the gear and getting clear and stable videos.

Thank you.

They're either using Steady Cam mounts or Gimbals. 

2 hours ago, Eddrush said:

They're either using Steady Cam mounts or Gimbals. 

Not needed. 

The GpPro Hero5 and GoPro Hero5 Session both have built in image stabilization. 

My iPhone 6s+ also has image stabilization. 

5 minutes ago, abinder3 said:

Just an example video using the image stabilization of my iPhone 6s+ (I was holding it in my hands):

Good job man, that is really stable. I guess you're little self-conscious about it all. I wouldn't worry. I look forward to your future uploads :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, abinder3 said:

Not needed. 

I love the SJCam SJ5000x Elite, affordable and great stabilization.

https://www.banggood.com/SJcam-SJ5000X-ELITE-SONY-IMX078-GYRO-4K24-2K-2_0-Inch-LCD-Action-Camera-Novatek-with-Accessories-p-1009127.html?rmmds=search

In this video the SJCam SJ5000x Elite is in a chest harness from 9:02-30:48, then hand-held after 30:48 for the remainder of the video.

• Upvote 1

If you value the quality (shooting 4K video for example), note which devices offer optical stabilization.  This is superior to digital stabilization, which reduces quality slightly.  For example, the iPhone 6s uses digital stabilization but the 6s Plus and 7 use optical.

A mechanical gimbal is also as good as optical stabilization because it doesn't reduce video quality either. 

• Upvote 3

I shoot all of my videos with a GoPro Session 4 (no built-in stabilization). It's mounted on the end of a long flexible selfie stick. Since the stick has some flex and I try not to hold it very tight, much of the vibration is eliminated. The rest comes down to a steady hand. No software stabilization is used.

I'm happy to hear that you think some of my videos are of good enough quality to emulate. I've thought of buying a gimbal but I'm not sure it's necessary for me.

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, MaxLinux said:

I love the SJCam SJ5000x Elite, affordable and great stabilization.

https://www.banggood.com/SJcam-SJ5000X-ELITE-SONY-IMX078-GYRO-4K24-2K-2_0-Inch-LCD-Action-Camera-Novatek-with-Accessories-p-1009127.html?rmmds=search

In this video the SJCam SJ5000x Elite is in a chest harness from 9:02-30:48, then hand-held after 30:48 for the remainder of the video.

The SJ4000 from a couple of years ago had great reviews in the quadcopter videos I have watched.  It was comparable to Go Pro quality video with a much lower price.  Your video is very sharp and clear, with great colors and very little shake, if any.

Try the SJCAM M20 it has video stabilization and is super small to carry. I have great videos on the EUC, Motorbike, running, etc. After having GoPro for 3 years... changed for SJCAM has really good image quality for 1/3 of the GoPro price... still use GoPro video editing software as it is very simple and quick to edit from the phone.

On 6/5/2017 at 10:19 PM, abinder3 said:

Not needed. 

Yes and no.

The stabilization does eliminate or at least minimize the amount of shaking you might have, but you will still have small slow deviations (ie. sway) in the footage. The shot from your iphone even though isn't shaking, it does sway around. Not saying that is bad as that footage from the iphone looks perfectly fine. But for true smooth footage stabilized footage with no swaying, you do have to use a gimbal. Here's footage I took on my Sony action camera on a 3-axis gimbal.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Michael Vu said:

Yes and no.

The stabilization does eliminate or at least minimize the amount of shaking you might have, but you will still have small slow deviations (ie. sway) in the footage. The shot from your iphone even though isn't shaking, it does sway around. Not saying that is bad as that footage from the iphone looks perfectly fine. But for true smooth footage stabilized footage with no swaying, you do have to use a gimbal. Here's footage I took on my Sony action camera on a 3-axis gimbal.

Good grief.  What is this? A game of my equipment is better than yours ?

Did I ever state that it was perfect?  No.

If you want to start getting ridiculous about things, then the Hollywood steady cams would be better than your setup.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2017 at 4:06 PM, Michael Vu said:

Yes and no.

That was great. Cool way to get a good workout.

I was also amazed when I saw this video 2.5 years ago: http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XODE3ODA1OTQ4.html

Not only it is very stable, but the it can change positions from very low to above head, and the angle can be rotated freely. Then I realized how and bought the same. Here is the video I shot at that time http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XODM2MDM0OTg4.html

The setup is a GoPro 4 with a 3D stabilizer plus an extension.

Edit, more examples.
Camera can be at the wheel back and shoot forward: http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XODg2ODk3OTg0.html
Camera can be at front and shoot backwards: http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XODg2ODk5MDI4.html
Holding camera above head and shoot myself: http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTM4OTMzNTEwMA==.html

Edited by zlymex
  • Upvote 1

• 2 years later...
On 6/7/2017 at 5:05 PM, Noillek said:

Try the SJCAM M20 it has video stabilization and is super small to carry. I have great videos on the EUC, Motorbike, running, etc. After having GoPro for 3 years... changed for SJCAM has really good image quality for 1/3 of the GoPro price... still use GoPro video editing software as it is very simple and quick to edit from the phone.

is it good enough for reading license plates?

How do you guys even find these ancient topics?:D They guy you quoted hasn't been here in a year.

Anyways, it's 2020 and there are far better cameras now than in 2017. Feel free to make your on topic if you want something specific, or find a newer topic.