Put your worst foot forward?

I started another thread on this topic, but I've done some more (over?) thinking.

I can turn to the right very easily, but really struggle with left hand turns.  I guess that's pretty common and should get better with more practice.

It can be pretty scary.  Sometimes when riding at reasonable speed (fast enough I should be completely stable), I'll feel like I'm going to fall to my left.  I have to THINK about twisting to the left instead of leaning right to correct.  When I do twist, it gets be me balanced again but causes some wobbles and unnerves me.

For correcting the opposite way, I do it without thinking about it to the right, but letting the wheel tilt right. 

Thinking about it, I've done several sports where turning the right was easier--

1)  Snow skiing and ice skating.   Stops to the right from full speed and throwing up snow/ice was always easier to my right. 

2)  Water skiing on one ski (slalom).  I could lean until my shoulder touched the water turning right.  Not nearly so far going left.

I figure part of the reason for the the right turn preference when skiing on one water ski is due to the fact that my left foot was rearward.  Which meant my body was "pre-wound" to the left.  If not for the water drag, my legs and hips would tend to drive the tip of the ski to the right. 

So, I'm thinking while doing EUC, it might make sense to compensate for my right turn preference by putting my left foot further forward on its pedal than the right foot.  As far as hips would "think" they are in right turn when going straight.  Straighteing my hips would twist toward a left turn.

Sort of analogous to the way you twist your wrists for a golf club grip.

Anyway, I'm going to give it a try.  At this point, I'd just like to eliminate the "I'm going to fall left!!" panic I get when cruising.  Maybe just a placebo would suffice.

7 minutes ago, DaveThomasPilot said:

At this point, I'd just like to eliminate the "I'm going to fall left!!" panic I get when cruising.

This might seem hard to believe now, but I predict after a while you will forget all about this. It seems to go away with experience. When I started, my "easy" turning direction was left. It seemed turning left was about twice as natural, and about twice as easy to perform in a tight radius, compared to right. I tried to compensate by practicing right turns over and over, and I do think that helped. But at some point, I'm not sure exactly when, I suddenly realized, "hey, I'm turning equally well in both directions!" It just happened in the background, and I wasn't even aware of it.

3 hours ago, MaxLinux said:

This might seem hard to believe now, but I predict after a while you will forget all about this. It seems to go away with experience. When I started, my "easy" turning direction was left. It seemed turning left was about twice as natural, and about twice as easy to perform in a tight radius, compared to right. I tried to compensate by practicing right turns over and over, and I do think that helped. But at some point, I'm not sure exactly when, I suddenly realized, "hey, I'm turning equally well in both directions!" It just happened in the background, and I wasn't even aware of it.

Cool, I look forward to that. 

4 hours ago, MaxLinux said:

I agree with Max... once you are more experienced you will fall equally as well on both sides. I know I do!  :D

On 2017-6-6 at 1:15 AM, DaveThomasPilot said:

At this point, I'd just like to eliminate the "I'm going to fall left!!" panic I get when cruising.  Maybe just a placebo would suffice.

Doing consciously small left-right twists/wiggles should do. It is a good idea to train doing these before to get in the "I'm going to fall" situation to see how they feel. These wiggles keep the wheel balanced also in the first place, even if they are so small that you don't notice them. They are not just a placebo. 

On 06/06/2017 at 0:15 AM, DaveThomasPilot said:

it might make sense to compensate for my right turn preference by putting my left foot further forward on its pedal than the right foot. 

Interesting experiment, please report back on how you get on.

Personally, I'm not convinced that is the issue. For me it is left turns that are a piece of cake and right that is hard, but then I'm somewhat left handed (write -albeit illegibly - with my right hand but throw a ball etc left handed). I also do not believe it actually goes away. Yes, after 18 months I can turn perfectly well both ways but if I push it hard, I can still do a tighter turn to the left than the right and even at very slow speeds I can lean easily into a left turn but have to twist my body to do slow right turns.

My opinion is that it is more a case of favouring one leg over the other unconsciously such that you, in fact, carry more of your weight on one leg than the other resulting in leaning the wheel slightly to go straight, it is thus easier to turn towards that favoured leg. I will try your one leg slightly forward trick and you might, in turn, try carrying more of your weight on the other leg and see which actually makes a difference?

A lot of people have one leg just a little longer than the next.  When it comes to balance, or anything that plays one side of the body against the other as you try to keep everything level and even, like dance or martial arts stances, even a small thing like that can make a big difference, changing the alignment of your body all the way up to the very top of your head..

When i was learning i used a school playground near my house which has some sort of court marked out on it in white lines (netball maybe?). I would follow the white lines and turn from one to the other as they crossed. Also around the edge is a narrow boarder and I'd wheel around the edge trying to keep between the edge line and the grass. It was pretty good for practicing slow speed control.

I found for a while it was much easier to run right rather than left but i don't think about it now. 

My first "turning" practice was this weekend as a noob. The center circle at a local vacated basketball court was my test field. That circle is about 6-8 ft (??) diameter, and I quickly realized I could turn right more easily than left. Kinda weird.

Archived